Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 22, 2013 1:05 AM
Mar 2008
What did I just watch?...'cause I'm pretty sure this isn't samurai flamenco, is this a dream? It's a dream right? *confused*
Nov 22, 2013 1:13 AM
Oct 2011
Sir-Christopher said:
What the hell? This was entirely out of tone and misplaced in the show. Before now it's been moderately grounded in reality

If this isn't a dream/TV show/PR stunt or what ever next week then I'm dropping this so hard.
Hyperbolic as fuck, but I guess this is MAL.
Nov 22, 2013 1:30 AM

Jul 2012
Not sure if it was apart of the PR event or if this show has taken a really weird turn.
Nov 22, 2013 1:45 AM

Nov 2012
I haven't seen something this crazy since
(anime name)
Nov 22, 2013 1:55 AM
Sep 2011
Incase no-one had said it already:

Gorrilatine
Nov 22, 2013 1:58 AM
Mar 2013
wtf with this sudden supernatural lol kinda make me dissapointed about this twist.
Nov 22, 2013 2:09 AM

Jan 2010
LOL... wtf? I felt a combination of ALL of the following:

Surprised
Awestruck

Confused
Disappointed
Annoyed

Unfortunately most of those are negative =/ I really wanted this anime to stay within its own confines of "reality" and not go the "super hero/villain" way. I suppose there is still hope, the writing had been good so far. Time will tell.
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Nov 22, 2013 2:17 AM

Jun 2013
Am just hoping that the last 5 mins was all just a dream
Nov 22, 2013 2:30 AM
Oct 2011
The scene from the OP is a dream and a blatantly obvious tokusatsu parody Hazama could've seen in one of his Kamen Rider or Battle Axe series he's so obsessed with. Do we really need to discuss that?

blob said:
Ah, soulelle, you took the words out of my mouth. Postmodernism...
This air is all about fooling others, writing books that end fucking weird (if they even end at all : Maupassant)

I wanted to give more importance to this discussion, but litrydrow, JizzyHitler, and Candor, you guys just are being close-minded and subjectively saying you don't like it. Here's the definition of PLOT TWIST :
Wikipedia said:
A plot twist is a radical change in the expected direction or outcome of the plot of a novel, film, television series, comic, video game, or other work of narrative. It is a common practice in narration used to keep the interest of an audience, usually surprising them with a revelation. Some "twists" are foreshadowed.

"Some" twists are foreshadowed.

Breaking barriers, it could have happened @ episode 20 for all I care, it's a technique used, and if done on purpose, it's considered art in many domains, it takes skill also to back up such an intense step forward.
Just like good and bad writing, there's good and bad plot-twists. Good ones are foreshadowed, bad ones aren't. Plot-twists that make the whole show turn 180 degrees just because the author wants to or reached a dead-end are awful plot-twists. If he wanted to do that he should've tried to a proper build-up for it.

Anyway Anime is known for its awful writing most of the time, so maybe I should turn my brain off and enjoy it just like those who are positively surprised by this? I did want an action show from this one from the beginning, and despite how awful that "plot-twist" was, hopefully I'd be able to ignore the atrocious writing in this one. Or I should just wait and hope the author won't pull something like that on us and have more interesting stuff in the world he already built..
Candor123Nov 22, 2013 2:34 AM
Nov 22, 2013 2:42 AM

Jan 2011
All I know is I'm going to watch it as soon as it comes out next week and not wait until 3 am to start watching it. It might be a dream, it's clearly not a movie, but I've got the feeling that we're not in Kansai anymore Toto...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 22, 2013 3:00 AM

Jan 2008
OGHelios said:

After the drug bust, the cops decided to celebrate with the drugs in the room, and the last 5 minutes happened.

This is the only logical explanation.
Hoping hard it's someone's dream or Goto really felt experimental when he took the package with him.
Nov 22, 2013 3:15 AM

Oct 2010
Well that took an.....unexpected turn.

Not sure how I feel about it (if it is indeed real and not some dream, hallucination, drug trip or film) just have to wait and see I suppose.
Nov 22, 2013 3:41 AM

Jul 2010
Wow... the end of the episode left me completely speechless. At first I assumed everything was either being filmed or staged, but that didn't seem to be the case once officers started getting decapitated. It seemed like the series was already taking a dramatic shift in tone with the revelation of Masayoshi's parents, but that was nothing compared to what was in store at the end. I'm not sure how I feel yet about this development but I'm hopeful that the staff will be able to retain what made me fall in love with this series.
Nov 22, 2013 3:53 AM

Oct 2012
I... I just...

Please let me grasp myself for a moment.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Nov 22, 2013 4:05 AM

Aug 2013
wow i didnt expect this show would turn from the anime version of kickass to the anime version of batman! Brave move i hope it pays off!
Nov 22, 2013 4:21 AM
May 2012
Did I witness a Tokusatsu cliche moment (Like a monkey monster explodes after it's defeat)?
JafriZinNov 22, 2013 5:25 AM
Nov 22, 2013 4:28 AM

Jul 2011
....... I wonder what the hell happened..

Looking forward to the next episode!
Nov 22, 2013 5:23 AM
Feb 2013
Here's my whole reaction towards the episode:

Beginning: XD Hahaha Oh Masayoshi.

Middle: ^^ So, is this gonna be like a Batman x Kick Ass kinda thing or....nope not at all.

Last five minutes: -u- Cool it's a drug investigation.Oh, that Drug pill just flew off for no reason. Not like it's gonna mat-

*Transformation*

•_•......•o•.....0o0..............WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!!!!!!!???

But still, it was like the most surprising, and most unexpected plot twist I had ever seen. I'm so hyped up for next week!

P.S. I think this is taken in real life. No childrens action show would ever have something a fucking Guilotine Gorilla for a villian. Plus that blood looks like it's for realsies.
Nov 22, 2013 5:25 AM
May 2012
Sableng_212 said:
....... I wonder what the hell happened..

I was so confused during that last part.
Nov 22, 2013 5:36 AM

Jun 2013
My mind was raped by the last 5 minutes.

The only show of the season that I expect a lot of wise quotes that I can use , that I can reflect to my life just ruined by the last 5 minutes.

It better be a dream or a TV show , or shit shit shit shit shit shit.

Anyway , great episode. 5/5
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Nov 22, 2013 5:55 AM

May 2010
Guys wait a minute...

What if the whole thing was a TV production? We just witnessed what the finished production looked like.

It makes sense, didn't the guy behind "Ensemble" contact Hazama? At least he wanted to talk to him, but we didn't see or hear what that was even about. And the whole Police raid WAS a PR stunt. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to say the Police colluded with Hazama's company to produce something.

Though, I'm not entirely convinced. But what happened was trippy as hell. I feel like there has to be an explanation. We'll find out next episode I guess.
Nov 22, 2013 6:23 AM
Mar 2010
I....just...what...cough...what just...what...I...

I must have watched the last five minutes about 10 times by now and it's shocking every time. I have no idea what just happened. But you know, if this was to actually cause watchers to go all 'I have to see the next episode!' I think it worked.

But every time I watch the last 5 minutes, I get this feeling that the whole thing was staged. One thing is Masayoshi and Goto seem waaaay too calm after seeing a Gullitone Gorilla.

Another thing, I really doubt the show would go all supernatural after giving us seven episodes of continuous 'this is reality, there are no monsters in this' kind of feeling. Yeah, you guys would say this is two-cour and there are so many episodes to go but think about it. Most of the people watching this by now are watchers who are expecting a slice of life action comedy NOT the second coming of Madoka.

Lastly, before I watched this episode, something told me not to watch it and that I would have a hard time waiting for the next episode. I wish I had followed my instincts.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Nov 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Jul 2010
neontaster said:
I could keep going but my point was that even if no such examples existed, there's always the first time something works well, up until which that idea had not been done well and it doesn't mean shit.

In fact, you're right and I never said this kind of "twist" means shit. Only the time knows the anwer. (And the production too probably, or at least I hope that)
AkanezoraNov 22, 2013 6:41 AM
Nov 22, 2013 6:48 AM

Nov 2011
Akanezora said:
neontaster said:
I could keep going but my point was that even if no such examples existed, there's always the first time something works well, up until which that idea had not been done well and it doesn't mean shit.

In fact, you're right and I never said this kind of "twist" means shit. Only the time knows the anwer. (And the production too probably, or at least I hope that)

Yeah I'm definitely not saying that this is a sure shot of being awesome. It really all depends on how they handle it. We shall see!
Nov 22, 2013 6:50 AM
Jan 2013
Oh shit, don't tell me that this anime is turning damn serious with the introduction of "King Torture."
Nov 22, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2013
That was a surprising twist and might be one of the best trolling in recent years
Wait and see for me
Nov 22, 2013 7:16 AM

Apr 2013
I'm not sure if its just a shoot, because the show that flamenco's shooting before is for general audience right = for kids. and if its a campaign for the police who would want to show it to the public w/ heads twisting and flying, too gory also for the kids show, never the less if its for a new production shoot then its plausible, but if its real sometimes drastic changes makes things more interesting and surprising for the better or the worst to come.
Nov 22, 2013 7:28 AM

Sep 2012
WTF!?! I wasn't expecting this
I think they were just recording a show or something like that. But it's veryyy strange, there were too much blood and rolling heads for a normal show.
Well, I don't know what was that, but it surely caught my attention.
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Nov 22, 2013 7:37 AM

Apr 2013
Wtf is going ?
Was that a dream or what ???
Nov 22, 2013 7:40 AM
Oct 2013
I've been waiting for something "drastic" to happen and the anime did not fail me. I mean the opening sequence shows the mc fighting a giant robot. Then a mysterious geezer in white gave him 007-like gadgets. But...never in my wildest imagination that the last 5 minutes of that drastic change would be a man taking mysterious pills that eventually turned him to a beheading gorilla.

Gintama, king of anime troll, just got served with this episode.
Nov 22, 2013 8:27 AM
Dec 2009
mbdsquad said:
mysterious pills that eventually turned him to a beheading gorilla

It looked more like the drugs were going to supress his transformation. Note how he runs away, clearly in a state of panic, tries to take a pill, drops it when the police raise their guns at him, and then transforms.
Nov 22, 2013 9:04 AM
Apr 2011
oh my god, what the.....
why....
i hope that not real, i like this show because the "reality" feel...
Nov 22, 2013 9:08 AM
Dec 2012
Wow unexpected development at the end. They went supernatural.
Nov 22, 2013 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
Called it!

Before getting on that, I must say that the first 20 minutes were pretty good. Combining the reveal about Masayoshi's parents with imaginary sequence resembling a regular superhero show was nice, as was the talk that about them with Goto and the conclusion they reached.

Also, I get a sense that the manager is tsundere.

Now, I see three options of how this is proceed:

1) The popular theory of the whole thing being fake, in some manner. This would be good, as I liked the show how it was. Slight disappointment shall happen, however, because that sort of stuff is slightly annoying.

2) The events were real and the series is going bonkers. Slight disappointment, but because I like weird shows, it'll redeem itself somewhat.

3) The events were real, but they are going to play these supernatural events the same way they've done with other stuff as well. Slight disappointment at first, but then some redeeming shall happen.

It's win-win and lose-lose at the same. But I sincerely hope for the option 1) to happen.

And now we'll wait...
Nov 22, 2013 10:08 AM

Mar 2010
Hey guys, SF and Police were in house full of drugs. Maybe Masayoshi sniff a bit and everything is just his vision? o_O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2013 10:13 AM

Dec 2010
Teyo said:
It'll be funny if this turns to be a dream/ final episode of that show/etc. We'll see next week.

I WILL BE SO ANGRY IF IT WAS ALL A DREAM

VioLink said:
At this part of the OP http://i.imgur.com/A8mOgF0.png
Lyrics: "Mie nai teki wa dare?"
"Who’s the invisible enemy?"

i noticed that too. isn't it strange that all the vital characters have more or less debuted in the OP but the ratio of "bad guys" to "good guys" is 1:7 (including masayoshi) and by "bad guy" i'm labelling the director who wants to out samurai flamenco.

ballisticktw said:
Incase no-one had said it already:

Gorrilatine

whispers the fandom on tumblr needs more ppl like u
Nov 22, 2013 11:29 AM

Oct 2008
This show has gone from "Cool; nice, light-hearted vigilante shenanigans" to "HOLY FUCK GORILLA GUILLOTINE!!!".

I don't even care if it's all a ruse to dupe the audience, that ending was brilliant. I've gone from looking forward to each new episode to now anxiously anticipating.
Nov 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
next ep is called "Attack of the Evil Army"
I'm betting this is legit
Nov 22, 2013 12:45 PM

Jun 2011
WTH was that???
Nov 22, 2013 12:53 PM

Mar 2012
Know that awkward feeling when someone is saying something totally ridiculous that just has to be a joke and you're just waiting for the punchline, but it just doesn't come and you increasingly suspect that it will never come and that the person is 100% serious? That's how I felt throughout those last 5 or so minutes. Even if we do find out that there is a perfectly realistic explanation for everything that's happened, the damage has already been done - you do not end an episode of a superhero parody/deconstructive comedy with A FREAKIN' MURDEROUS DRUG FUELLED GUILLOTINE GORILLA and then say "haha, gotcha!" in the next one. And if the genre has shifted permanently, then all I can say is "If I want genre shifting plot twists, I'll stick with real genre shifting anime, like Madoka Magica, thank you very much!" ;)

Black_wind said:
anyway,today i learned "robber" in Japanese is "goto"...foreshadowing?maybeee
You probably won't read this, but whatever. I don't find this all that likely. The words aren't pronounced identically - "robber"/"robbery" is "gōtō" (two long o's), while Hidenori's family name is "Gotō" (one short and one long o).
Nov 22, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2011
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? What happened in the end???? O.O OMG
Nov 22, 2013 1:00 PM

Jul 2010
All I can say now is WTF.
I really hope this was just some filming or whatever, otherwise this show seriously goes to the dumpster. Just what the hell man, I'm still in shock -_-
Nov 22, 2013 1:00 PM
Jul 2013
WTF! I thought the ending was a fantasy of Hazama, but it was real! Now I got more excitement to the show, oh, and I see the crux of the story....
Nov 22, 2013 1:49 PM

Jan 2011
I've been mulling this over overnight and I've just had a thought. You know how the convention is in a super-hero show that the first episode usually features the introduction of the main character in full hero mode and you're plopped right into the middle of a fight with a low or mid-level boss. You get to see the hero unleash some of their abilities, a lot of scenery is destroyed, and only once the intro villain is defeated are you shown the hero transforming back into the anonymous salaryman, or newspaper reporter, or grade 12 student, or whatever his mundane alternate identity is. Then over the next few episodes we're given his backstory in dribs and drabs, or through an extended flashback that takes most of an episode.

What if we were given a show where the backstory was played straight? Where we were shown the hero for 6 and a half episodes as the nebbish he actually was before the shit hit the fan and he received the call? What if everything we've seen so far is just giving us the total back story, 90% of the motivations of the major and minor characters, and is removing the need for any flashback, fill in the gaps sequences in the next two thirds of the series?

What if Samurai Flamenco is a real superhero? What if he's not just an actor/model with dreams and delusions? What if everything we knew was wrong and we've just discovered what this world is really like?

Waiting for next week to find out...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 22, 2013 2:09 PM

May 2009
It's already confirmed that it's not a dream.
Nov 22, 2013 2:10 PM
Oct 2011
bastek66 said:
source?
Nov 22, 2013 2:12 PM

Nov 2011
rodac said:
I've been mulling this over overnight and I've just had a thought. You know how the convention is in a super-hero show that the first episode usually features the introduction of the main character in full hero mode and you're plopped right into the middle of a fight with a low or mid-level boss. You get to see the hero unleash some of their abilities, a lot of scenery is destroyed, and only once the intro villain is defeated are you shown the hero transforming back into the anonymous salaryman, or newspaper reporter, or grade 12 student, or whatever his mundane alternate identity is. Then over the next few episodes we're given his backstory in dribs and drabs, or through an extended flashback that takes most of an episode.

What if we were given a show where the backstory was played straight? Where we were shown the hero for 6 and a half episodes as the nebbish he actually was before the shit hit the fan and he received the call? What if everything we've seen so far is just giving us the total back story, 90% of the motivations of the major and minor characters, and is removing the need for any flashback, fill in the gaps sequences in the next two thirds of the series?

What if Samurai Flamenco is a real superhero? What if he's not just an actor/model with dreams and delusions? What if everything we knew was wrong and we've just discovered what this world is really like?

Waiting for next week to find out...

I like that idea a lot. Instead of something like Spiderman, where the fact that he got powers (and also Uncle Ben's murder) are the things that drove him to fight evil, in this case it seems that the motivation to fight evil is established first in a more low level real world setting, and then when actual evil comes around and threatens the entire world, our small time hero has to move to the big leagues.

If this is really how the show will progress it'll be really cool to see Hazama evolve into a hero that legitimately saves the world, instead of talking about saving the world but actually just fighting petty street crime and making sure people don't put out their trash at night.
Nov 22, 2013 2:12 PM

Sep 2011
Candor said:
bastek66 said:
source?
i second that, i need a source or backing behind that

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 22, 2013 2:17 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
After watching the last five minutes again, I'm suspecting that it's a hallucination (collective or individual) caused by the narcotics that are present at the drug bust. That would explain how things suddenly went so...crazy...If not...
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 22, 2013 2:23 PM
Dec 2009
http://www.samumenco.com/story/#08

Here's the preview from the show's official website. I copypasted the summary into Google Translate and got this:

"Onslaught! Legion of Evil

Whole of Japan to be abuzz to the emergence of Phantom 'Torture King' gang of mystery. They had demanded the enslavement of the people and completely surrendered to the Japanese government. Police fellow was sacrificed, burn the fighting spirit that capture the Phantom. Confrontation ...... it with Phantom threatening peace figure of hero seen in your dreams. In collaboration justice shaken off the hesitations and original mound, 'Flamenco Girl' and police, to confront them with confidence!"

So yeah, it was almost certainly no dream/TV show/whatever.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.