Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2015 3:45 AM

Feb 2010
This was not that bad, however, I can aggree that it was being stretched too long and Naraku kept surviving just for the sake of prolonging it further. There is no intrigue which team wins and some things had become repetitive. It would be much better if we've got the end of Naraku at this point, and the second season would be about his creations that were left alone and unshackled, with Hakudoshi probably aspiring to take Naraku's place and Kagura getting her freedom and what to do with it, etc. I swear, there is enough of plot at this point to do without a "mastermind" and possible twists to make it into another season easily. I liked Naraku as a main antagonist very much throughout the first season, but less so to it's ending. Now he is just dragging. After his rebirth at mt.Hakurei he is making less and less sense. For one, while finaly being able to easily kill team Inuyasha whole, he bothers with traps and hiding. He aren't even afraid of Kikyou anymore, which was his driving force up to mt.Hakurei. But instead of finishing his competition off (or be finished), he becomes a typical villain, which purpose is to be a sworn enemy for shounen hero to pursue for another XX episodes. That's rather dissapointing, this series has so many good things, it started great, had it going and it could still be a classic shounen, if they would allow Naraku to die by the end of this huge first season and switched to some other bad guy to do the job for the second one.
By this point I don't care that much for Inuyasha and Kagome, they don't realy serve as strong leads, they are only there for mass audience to relate to (you know, young brash male and "ordinary" female schoolgirl) I wish they would officialy become secondary characters that they are and the more interesting secondary characters of now would become mains instead.
So, overal, it was a good and enjoyable watch, but I doubt I will be seeing second season for reasons stated. 9/10
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Dec 23, 2015 5:26 PM
Dec 2014
The anime would have been a lot better if they didn't over-use enemies.Each major appeared at least 3 times before it really beat up.
Feb 20, 2016 5:46 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah, underrated my ass. 5/10 seems pretty fair for something like this...
May 2, 2016 11:52 AM
Apr 2016
Finally finished, although there were a lot of fillers i really enjoy it, time to move on to the Final Act....Kikyo death scene was what got me to start the entire series.
Dec 31, 2016 7:21 AM

May 2013
Love the series, but there's a lot of flaws. I've been watching this series for 13 years, I watched it on TV as a kid and never finished it and I started it again 3 years ago and paced myself. Towards the end, I couldn't wait to finish but there were some strong episodes. I'll always love the series but with that said I can't wait for Final Act. 7/10 and IMO that's being kind. I'd give it a 6 if it wasn't for the fact that nostalgia plays a huge rule in my enjoyment. I think the first 45-50 episodes were great but over time, the quality of the series really drops but I'll always love it. Thank you, InuYasha for amazing music and great childhood and adulthood memories.

Jun 25, 2017 11:20 AM
Nov 2014
when i joked about doing an inuyasha rewatch just for the nostalgia trip last month i certainly didn't think i'd end up actually doing it, but here i am. well! it was certainly a nostalgic experience. it's by no means objectively a perfect shounen, but it had it's good moments. characters like kohaku, kagura, sessho, and the likes grew on me, surprisingly. i'm ticked off that inuyasha and kagome's relationship remains forever unresolved even after 167 episodes, but i guess that's the good thing about watching an old anime. you can just hit next. onto kanketsu hen!

p.s. naraku's bloody annoying, can't wait to see that fella gone.
sentimentalsealsJun 26, 2017 2:39 AM
Good at offending and bad at letting things slide.

Feb 22, 2019 8:58 PM

Dec 2015
started this back in 2008 on tv it was really fun not as strong as other battle shonen but entertaining until the last part i took me years to finish this, this is how awful it became especially the stretching and no development toward the end still this is definitely a classic for me and for many others.... i'm glad i did it hahaha still i have to check on the last season
Feb 24, 2019 2:04 PM
Mar 2018
A good episode on it's own. The plot was interesting (though it took a while to get going), and the final action scene was fantastically done.

But in terms of as it served as a finale, it was very underwhelming. There was no finality to it at all. It could've easily been a mid-period episode, or even an early one. And the fact that it took 167 episodes to get to this point is especially disappointing.

As a whole, I very much liked the show. The plots were usually interesting, the action, humor, and emotion all hit the right spots, and the animation and art-style were good.

I didn't like the romance elements, and I got pretty burnt out of the formulaic nature of the show at times, but overall, very enjoyable.
Jul 25, 2019 8:57 AM
Nov 2010
Watched this as a kid back in 2005 and only had up til so 60-70. Thought of completing the entire thing only to find out that it ended on a cliffhanger which changed my mind. It's 2019 now, the final act aired 10 years ago and I decided to re-watch the entire thing on a whim after feeling nostalgic from listening to sad Inuyasha ed songs.

Really enjoyed re-watching it and finally being able to complete the entire series! This was a great episode, I mean, it would have been terrible if I had seen it back then with no season 2 waiting for me.

I will now enjoy the final act.

Edit: sesshomaru x kagura was great. I never cared for him and Jaken when I was a kid. But now rewatching as an adult, I love the characters. Lord Jaken is hilarious! I LOLd when Rin and Jaken were washed downstream and it paused on Sesshomarus face.

I'd give this anime a 8/10 because it's my childhood. But in this day and age, it's probs be a 6/10.
DannimeJul 25, 2019 9:02 AM
Aug 29, 2019 1:29 AM

Jul 2015
So this is the end of the original series, quite a letdown for me personally after watching 167 episodes I expected some character to die but not a cliffhanger.

Really ship Kagura and Sesshomaru

Good thing this has a second season where they hopefully conclude things, compared to other old anime which also ended on a cliffhanger but never got a sequel.

Jan 22, 2020 12:16 AM
Aug 2014
Sucks to be anyone who watched it while it aired and had to wait 5 years to get an adaptation of Final Act.
Jan 22, 2020 12:28 AM

Jun 2016
derprume said:
Sucks to be anyone who watched it while it aired and had to wait 5 years to get an adaptation of Final Act.

Ended up reading the Manga back then :D

Lina inverse is best girl prove me wrong
Jan 22, 2020 5:10 PM

Jun 2019
derprume said:

16 years on from 2004 and I still come across people online claiming Inuyasha is garbage because it's unfinished. Even though TFA came out 10 years ago.
Oct 27, 2020 4:30 PM
Nov 2019
Decided to watch this show when the new series dropped. Been meaning to watch it for forever but only recently got around to it. Overall I really liked it, gave it a 7 overall. The show's biggest strength is its characters and their relationships, especially Inuyasha and Kagome.

That being said, man am I glad I watched this now when there are two sequels, as opposed to when it came out. As an ending this episode is just bad, and it really highlights the show's biggest problem, which is that the story barely progresses. Naraku and his minions always manage to escape, even when Inuyasha could finish him off, or vice-versa.
Nov 5, 2020 11:10 AM

Jun 2016
I didn’t expect I would relate to Kikyo this much. Very sweet series.
Nov 10, 2020 4:27 AM

Dec 2007
hmm, they did 10 minutes than usual 1 hour special which is 40min, couldn't they add another 13min to ended it with better pace? the whole goyromaru "arc" could get little more attention and the kagome x inuyasha part with the shard could have been done better.

if there wasn't continue series i would say this is terribly ending, opening so much at the final episode and not closing any of it, the end itself will get for me only 7/10.

the series on the other hand, will get 9/10, the best thing about it is it's unorthodox shounen, really one of the best shounen out there, too bad it's underrated.
Nov 29, 2020 2:21 PM
Apr 2016
InuYasha was an incredibly fun show for me - while often the atmosphere felt quite gloomy (perhaps because of all the demons), the characters made up for it by being incredibly likeable and funny. Kagome, Inuyasha, and Miroku are the ones that carried the show for me - Kagome has a really nice personality, Inuyasha is an adorable tsundere, and Miroku is downright the source of all laughs I've had in this little 167-episode journey.

Most characters felt like they straight up escaped from filler episodes, and unfortunately that was a real detriment to my enjoyment. Nevertheless, we had incredible side-characters such as the nonchalant Sesshomaru & embodiment-of-evil Naraku. For the most part, I didn't derive much enjoyment out of the serious episodes, but instead from Rumiko's sense of humor (AKA. the comedy-focused episodes). Yeah, I liked the episodes of Kagome being in the real world the most! So what!

7/10.
Jan 21, 2021 9:06 AM
Dec 2015
Finally finished this, the pacing started to feel really slow at the end of the series. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, it's just not as amazing as I remember.
Mar 27, 2021 12:50 PM

May 2016
Man such a waste to lengthen this story this long it could have been a sweet 80 episodes and gave much more enjoyment, I really did enjoy tho, good points and bad points exist
in every show. 6/10
Apr 10, 2021 8:59 PM

Jun 2019
Raizel said:
Man such a waste to lengthen this story this long it could have been a sweet 80 episodes and gave much more enjoyment, I really did enjoy tho, good points and bad points exist
in every show. 6/10

I wish it were like 1,800 episodes...

It definitely could be shorter, but could doesn't equal should. I think it depends if you really care about the plot being full focus and streamlined or are fine with it being meandering and just enjoying the journey of seeing slow character development and our characters wander along. The slower story for me made for the most immersive and comprehensive experience in anime. I'm glad it wasn't always full-steam-ahead plot-centric.
Jun 16, 2021 1:17 PM

Jun 2019
My 4th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 10/10 rating.
Jun 27, 2021 11:48 PM

May 2019
Finally done with 167 eps. I really hopeful for Final Act to give good closure for the series. Overall it's very enjoyable ride even if it's stretched too long and coupled with fillers. The fillers mostly add some more fun to the cast that are already very lovable and funny. I get carried away with their journey of chasing over a bastard who keeps escaping and regenerates lol. See you in Final Act.

Nov 6, 2021 5:01 AM

Apr 2013
And I actually managed to finish another long-ass show, even though the final series is still left. Oh and all the movies, which I'll watch next.

Knew a lot of the episodes already from when I was watching this as a kid on German TV, but I wanted to watch it all with subs anyway to get the full experience. I have to say the last episode showed the weaknesses of the show quite well. Naraku makes more and more of his incarnations which just can't die. After every major fight you already know that Naraku, Kagura and the other boring enemies will somehow survive and get away. Really made the fights quite predictable and boring, the bland antagonists did not help that either. At least the cast was somehow enjoyable, apart from the "Osuwari" from Kagome.... 6/10
Aug 13, 2022 11:15 AM
Aug 2022
my very first adventure into anime, notcounting western dragon ball z.
Aug 29, 2022 10:33 PM

Apr 2018
And fiiinally i have finished this dang series! I actually started watching this back in 2014-15 or so, but it took me until now, in 2022, to reach Ep. 167.

I mean, i legitimately like this show to a certain extent, but most of the time it just felt so snail-paced, repetitive and formulaic (especially in terms of the main characters' dynamics) to me that i just had to take long breaks/hiatuses from it every 20-30 Eps. or so.

Though i guess that progressing through the show in such an on-and-off manner wasn't that much of a bad thing. If there was one benefit to the plot and characters remaining so same-y and simplistic throughout, it's that i was always able to just "drop" it temporarily, then come back to it in 1-2 years and still remember what was going on quite well and not feel lost. So, in a weird sense, it did kinda end up becoming a familiar "comfort" show of sorts to me over the years.

Anyways, it's an OK show overall, so i think a score of 6/10 is fair. It kept itself pretty enjoyable and watchable throughout but, yeah, I feel that it also had a lot of issues severely holding back its potential. Good for a one-time watch as a classic, but i honestly can't say that i see myself ever revisiting this series in full in the future.

P.D. The Band of Seven/Mt. Hakurei arc was the best set of episodes post-Ep. 54, imo.

And with that, it's time for me to take one last long break from Inuyasha before coming back to finish the story for realsies with the 4th movie and the Final Act series... and i guess i'll just pretend that Yashahime doesn't exist, haw haw.
Stygian_PrisonerAug 29, 2022 10:46 PM
Dec 13, 2022 7:33 AM

Jan 2018
The final episode of Inuyasha. Or at least it would've been if The Final Act didn't exist... I feel so bad for the anime-onlies who watched this episode without knowing a thing, just seeing the show they followed for 4 years to just abruptly end with a vague message in the end which didn't promise if the show will be back or not (even in English dub, it talks about movie 4 and "graphic novels" but no mention of The Final Act). Reminds me of H2's ending which was super vague and in the end, it didn't get any sort of sequel except for a live-action TV series.

The Inuyasha TV anime caught up to the manga at that point in 2004 so putting the anime on hold was the only route Sunrise could take... or was it? It's interesting to think that this could've gone down in several ways.

1. Sunrise continues Inuyasha with filler episodes. Something that a lot of super popular shonen shows did was stretch the story by adding meaningless fillers (a prime example being Naruto I guess) just so the author made enough of the source material for them to adapt. This would've been TERRIBLE if it happened to Inuyasha as most of the show's pre-existing filler episodes were bad.

2. Sunrise made an anime-original ending. Anime-original endings were pretty popular back then when series' would get canceled before the manga ended. I'm not sure what kind of filler ending Sunrise could've made but no doubt it would've been bad.

3. Sunrise makes a filler ending and then "Inuyasha: Brotherhood" releases a few years later, starting the whole story from the beginning, speedrunning the plot of the 167 episodes, and giving greater focus to the remainder of the manga chapters. Honestly, this doesn't actually sound that bad if it happened.

4. Bad ending. No more Inuyasha after episode 167. So The Final Act wouldn't exist and Inuyasha fans would be left hanging for a sequel that would never come... unless they read the manga. Unfortunately, Ranma 1/2 fans suffered this fate. Which is strange because Ranma 1/2 was the predecessor to Inuyasha. The Ranma 1/2 anime wasn't that popular in Japan so I guess that's why it never got a sequel. Still holding out for at least a Remake though. Maybe one day.

5. The ending we got. Sequel series The Final Act is made. Interestingly, this is what happened to Urusei Yatsura. The Urusei Yatsura TV series ended in 1986 with 195 episodes whereas the manga ended in 1987. However Urusei Yatsura Movie 5 The Final Chapter was made in 1988 by a different studio that adapted the last 11 chapters of the manga. Some of the chapters which the TV series didn't adapt were also made into OVAs AFTER The Final Chapter was released. Heck, it even got a 10th-anniversary 6th movie which reunited the cast in 1991. And 30 years later, Urusei Yatsura is STILL a phenomenon with the Remake by David Production. Amazing how Rumiko Takahashi's oldest serialized work has this much staying power and even beat the likes of Inuyasha.

That being said, The Final Act isn't really perfect. It only has 26 episodes. But Inuyasha episode 167 ended with chapter 356 in volume 36. To put that into perspective, Inuyasha manga has 56 volumes encompassing 558 chapters in total. So that's 202 chapters or 20 volumes worth of content mashed into 26 episodes. Obviously, not everything was adapted. It's very possible that a lot of good stories were cut.

Would I have watched Inuyasha if it adapted the remaining 20 volumes even if it meant there'd be way more episodes? Absolutely, why wouldn't I? Whether they were good or bad, I would've watched them all. But I understand not everyone shares the same mentality. And that may be the reason why Sunrise or the producers decided to put the anime on hold. And them finally revisiting it in 2009, shortly after the manga's ending might've been the best-case scenario for a lot of people. Mainly The Final Act will cut down on the repetitiveness. I can tell even though I didn't watch it yet.

Since I'm watching this in the future I know Yashahime is a thing. So it'd be interesting if some of the cut stories from the last 20 volumes were somehow re-written into that "anime-original" series. I wonder if that's the case cause in that way the manga chapters which were left out would actually be adapted into anime in one way.

The series had a lot of ups and downs but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching it. I started it on July 27, 2022, and ended it today 140 days later. That's 4 months and 17 days which is a very long time. It's funny cos I intended to finish the entirety of Inuyasha including the Final Act before the Urusei Yatsura Remake started airing in October. Funny how things don't always go to plan. At least I was able to finish this series before 2023 and hopefully, I'll be done with Inuyasha by then too.

Now on to the 4th movie which I heard is the weakest Inuyasha movie.
0451Dec 13, 2022 7:55 AM
Feb 14, 2023 1:47 AM
Nov 2022
cried my eyes out i loved it so much
Jul 19, 2023 4:22 AM

Jun 2020
This isn't supposed to be the ending to the series so I won't judge it for that.

However, the episode itself didn't really give anything that didn't feel like the typical Inuyasha formula - the group discovers something out of the ordinary, they pursue it, they defeat the minions or whatever Naraku is manipulating, then they confront Naraku at the end only for him to escape and start devising a new plan. And at the end of this episode, Kagome tames the beast in Inuyasha and the power of love prevails. It's alright, but it's nothing too special, and it's probably gonna happen again in the Final Act.

The anime itself was enjoyable, though I wasn't exactly motivated to watch it quickly because the story drags out and the filler doesn't exactly help with that. As a result, it has taken me a year to watch this. But what kept me watching was that every time the anime was at an important part of the story, it delivered despite it following the aforementioned formula. Plus I was invested in the characters and their backstories, struggles, relationships, etc. Even the important characters that only appeared for an arc or two then died were pretty solid.

So with all that being said I would rate this a 7.5/10. Next is the 4th movie, the Final act and then finally Yashahime to finish it off.
Dec 30, 2023 3:37 AM

Sep 2018
Main series finished just before the new year, took me about four months to complete this. 8/10. Onto the Final act.

Mar 17, 9:59 AM

Nov 2021
Finally, I finished watching this anime. I enjoyed watching it and really loved the ending songs of this anime. Ending 7, "Come," is my favorite one. To be honest, I feel like it could have been better if they had utilized Shippo's character in a better way. His dialogues could have been improved, and they could have made him use his silly tricks more often, like he did in that episode where he got possessed by a demon parasite. Also, the love triangle drama was a tad bit annoying. I didn't completely hate it, but later on in the anime, it happened way too frequently.

Marking this anime as completed increased my days watching to an exact 100, so that's pretty cool. Onto the Final Act now (~ ̄▽ ̄)~
prozyneMar 17, 10:08 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » InuYasha Episode 17 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jan 3, 2010

19 by Fabrizio00 »»
Apr 11, 11:07 AM

Poll: » InuYasha Episode 16 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jan 3, 2010

29 by Fabrizio00 »»
Apr 11, 10:25 AM

Poll: » InuYasha Episode 14 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jan 3, 2010

19 by Fabrizio00 »»
Apr 11, 9:44 AM

Poll: » InuYasha Episode 9 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jan 3, 2010

21 by Fabrizio00 »»
Apr 11, 6:49 AM

Poll: » InuYasha Episode 4 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Dec 29, 2009

30 by Fabrizio00 »»
Apr 11, 6:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.