Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 17, 2013 6:18 PM
Oct 2012
gophercg said:
Interesting ideas. It seems only new Myoue & Koto are from the outside world. As mentioned by the shrine girl in a previous episode, only the 3 siblings grow old (but are they immortal?).

Kurama's discussion on Hachiko the waiting dog seems an analogy to the adopted Myoue. He asks if the dog was not waiting, but intended to die (possibly join his master in afterlife). Myoue lost his parents, then is trapped waiting for his foster parents. If he didn't intend to join his original parents by seppuku, why does he now ask Koto that request?

Nov 27, 2013 12:36 AM
Mar 2009
Dat Hachiko reference.

Wow, Yakushimaru had it worse than the other two. Lost his original parents, failed at seppuku, then lost his adopted parents. Ouch. Now he wants Koto to kill him after finding their parents? What.

This episode definitely had me wondering two things. Where the hell DOES the train go? It's carrying the crap no one wants anymore, but to where? Cause I saw an old lady in there and I highly doubt she's going to some disposal plant...

Second thing is, where did all the inhabitants of Kyoto come from? Did the original Myoue create all of them? They just seem so...much more than drawings.
Dec 15, 2013 1:50 AM

Dec 2012
That was a beautiful and endearing moments, made especially good by Myoue's soft murmurs which reminded me of Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine.

edit: who eats pomegranates likes that, seriously
davidfreshDec 15, 2013 1:59 AM
Dec 28, 2013 10:19 PM
Aug 2011
Oops I cried a little bit near the end there.
Jan 12, 2014 7:44 AM

Oct 2012
Poor Hachiko.. They (especially Kurama) are teasing you!!
Aw, Myoue you're a good guy.. Don't die :(
Koto won't agree with that

Where's ep 5.5?? I want that live-action!!
"Signature removed"
Jan 16, 2014 11:45 AM

May 2012
This was quite a lovely episode although it does seem you feel and notice what's new and what's being reused from the older ova's because this sure was beautiful!
Oct 1, 2014 6:50 PM

Nov 2012
Really love the family bonds the characters have with each other.

"Once we find our mother,I want you to kill me." Ohh,my heart ;___;

New material from here onwards,can't wait to see what the rest of the series has in store.
Jan 8, 2015 7:38 PM

Feb 2013
If I knew all of the ONA footage was in the anime I would started this first. The TV anime make more sense than just the ONA's. I didn't realize Myoue was adopted until this.
Jan 27, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
WOAH THERE PRIEST! THATS A HUGE REQUEST TO PUT ON A LITTLE GIRL. What the hell man!
I wonder he he was the first to realize what Koto was seeking, or if the other two knew and didnt say anything. This is all getting so intense.
Is if going to play out like the first ONA? Or will it end differently? Will there be more?
Oh im excited!
But seriously priest, WHAT THE HELL.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 17, 2015 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting past the third son, melancholic and touching most of the previous episode the narrative; shocking words spoken in the end, I'm curious to see why.
Drawings and animations pleasing, the plot seems to place as the center of all the events the presence of Koto, excellent soundtrack.
Jul 28, 2016 10:25 PM

Dec 2015
This ep was made of pure beauty. The scene when they just were walking was a masterpiece of animation and soundtrack ;_;

I'm still confused about some details of the plot, I hope I can undestand everything by the end.
Aug 12, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, Myoue's backstory is much sadder and darker than expected.
At least he understands what's going on now and notices how important Koto actually is.
Apr 30, 2017 7:05 AM

Jun 2013
Myoue II officially has the darkest backstory. And it's still really cool when Koto occasionally shows that she's more perceptive than one would think.

I can't tell if that vision where Yakushimaru gave Koto that fruit actually happened or not. Koto was born much much later, they couldn't possibly have been children on the other side at the same time. Unless time travel shenanigans are afoot.

symbv said:
Myoue has the root in an actual historical figure, also named Myoue, who also lived in seclusion up on a hill near Kyoto.[/url]

That dude cut off his own ear just to make a point. Guess they are both a little on the eccentric side.
LeeTailorApr 30, 2017 7:11 AM
Nov 30, 2017 4:33 PM

Sep 2011
I still don't know where this will go, but I like it a lot. Mainly thanks to Koto and these ties between her and the rest of the "family". I hope Myoue won't have to die though.
Dec 2, 2020 7:39 AM

Aug 2017
"Myoue A", "Myoue B"?

"Kanojo-san", lol.

Myoue and Koto's dialogue about names was hilarious. "A? - Un!". Japanese has so many funny puns.

Just noticed that the different colored circles in the ending of the ED sequence mirror those in the beginning of the OP.

According to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1118911/

Along with the citrus and the peach, the pomegranate is one of the three blessed fruits. In Buddhist art the fruit represents the essence of favourable influences. In Buddhist legend the demoness Hariti, who devoured children, was cured of her evil habit by the Buddha, who gave her a pomegranate to eat. She is depicted in Buddhist art holding a child. In Japan she is known as Kishimojin and is invoked by infertile women.

But I had a question about where exactly they went for the last scene? They were going to get Aa and Un? I wasn't sure.

And also, something that struck my mind: We see that Inari transfers his "DNA" to Yakushimaru, and Yakushimaru receives the title of "Myoue," along with the ability ot manipulate magical beads. The DNA sharing may explain why Inari is only half his original size but it does not explain why Yakushimaru's power is to manipulate beads instead of making drawings come to life. Any light on this?

It's not the first time I see a "fruit of life" of sorts in anime. Great. There was also a whole pomegranate inside the departing train. Maybe it represented Myoue's desire to end his life? Also, Koto just went ahead and ate Myoue's pomegranade x)

This version of Kyoto is the afterlife, the place where spirits dwell during the 49 days between their death and the "cutting" ceremony in Buddhism when the spirit gets reincarnated.

Myoue is already dead, he just hasn't realized it yet. His committing suicide is what is keeping him stuck on this plane of existence, he still hasn't come to grips with his parents death. That is who he is waiting for when the train comes in.

The Train takes souls to be reincarnated. The stick figures are the souls of the dead waiting to pass on, the characters with more material forms are those who have some lingering attachment to the real world and cannot pass on until they come to grips with this. The original Myoue collected these lost souls to help with their salvation and eventual rebirth, in this capacity he is actually a Bodhisattva.

The promegrante is the symbol of rebirth, the exchange was a symbol of Myoue's eventual death and rebirth.

A and Un are Komainu, the two guardian lion dogs found at shrines and temples, this is why their other form is vaguely dog like and why they were heading towards a shrine to pick them up at the end. As the animation pointed out their names also signify the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, death and rebirth, the eternal AUM of hinduism.

More so then actually wanting Koto to kill him physically, the ultimate goal of buddhism is to kill the illusion of this world (Maya) in order to achieve enlightenment and eventually escaping the circle of death and rebirth and enter in Nirvana. This is what Myoue wants, and the entire out of body experience was that he realized the Koto is the personification of enlightenment.

A little background for you if you want to know more: A and Un:
http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/a/aun.htm
http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/k/komainu.htm

The two temples they are going to show next week:
Round window (window of enlightenment) is from Genkoan Temple:
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/preview/42.html

The big gateway is from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chion-in

The former is in the western part of the city and is a Zen, the latter is in the eastern part and is the main temple of Pure Land, so they are pretty much covering all of Kyoto (and Buddhism) here.

Nice thoughts, those stick figures also pushed me to similar conclusions. And trains are indeed often "used" in media to "travel" to the afterlife.

Only in this episode did I finally realize that the character Myoue has the root in an actual historical figure, also named Myoue, who also lived in seclusion up on a hill near Kyoto. Good to learn a bit of history from this anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My%C5%8De

Took me a long time to realize this one.

Kurama's thoughts on Hachiko were also interesting. The fact that part of the dialogue took place inside a train is also noteworthy, given its meaning.

P.S. What's with that bunny gag?
St0rmbladeDec 16, 2020 2:55 PM
Apr 5, 2021 9:33 PM

Jul 2016
VanishingKira said:
Really love the family bonds the characters have with each other.

"Once we find our mother,I want you to kill me." Ohh,my heart ;___;

New material from here onwards,can't wait to see what the rest of the series has in store.

Time for the ride ro begin.

Not too sure about this live action 5.5 episode however...
Jun 22, 2021 8:14 AM

May 2020
An interesting episode that's mostly in line with what's shown in the 2012 ONA, with some changes of course.

I was not expecting New Myoue's past to be so dark and I definitely didn't expect this show to start with a young boy committing suicide after watching his home get burned down.
Apr 24, 2022 8:15 AM
Mar 2016
Sheesh! Almost a decade late to this anime’s hype train. My two cents—definitely my favorite episode so far. I loved how the Hachiko reference tied into the end! Such a strong climactic feeling considering it’s only halfway through the story. Always a treat to stumble across amazing older shows I hadn’t heard of during their release.
Apr 28, 2022 4:56 PM
Dec 2020
TuxedoCake said:
Sheesh! Almost a decade late to this anime’s hype train. My two cents—definitely my favorite episode so far. I loved how the Hachiko reference tied into the end! Such a strong climactic feeling considering it’s only halfway through the story. Always a treat to stumble across amazing older shows I hadn’t heard of during their release.
didnt expect people to still
TuxedoCake said:
hello friend from 2022, just happy this show is still getting recognition even once in a while.
Dec 17, 2022 7:21 AM

Apr 2016
I suppose this one was something about resentment or maybe I just didn't get it xD
Apr 17, 8:15 AM

May 2020
I feel nothing for this episode, seems like just casual episode. Myoue want to be murder by Koto is make me curious.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

137 by Perrin4869 »»
Apr 29, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.