Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2013 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
So, let me start by fully admitting that I have a weakness for the Japanese game company Koei and all of their Warriors games. It's something like a guilty pleasure, I suppose... though I don't feel very guilty...

I hope some others here enjoy Dynasty Warriors, or even Samurai Warriors. That's what I'm talking about – including alllll of their spinoff games.

For an explanation:

Dynasty Warriors is a franchise based around the events that unfolded in China during a time that is called the "Three Kingdoms Period", which happened just after the Han Dynasty collapsed in on itself. You, the player, take control of around 80 differently historically-based characters from that era. You essentially play through the chronology of what happens from the beginning, to the very bitter end of the Three Kingdoms period in China.

The characters you chose, or have to play as in the campaign or free modes of the game all have differing abilities and weapons. Things have changed a lot between Dynasty Warriors 3 and the newest, Dynasty Warriors 8. Either way, one thing remains: You fight for the Wei, Wu, Shu, and in later games, Jin Kingdoms.

Dynasty Warriors, and its counterpart, Samurai Warriors (Sengoku Era Japan variation of the same play-style) are essentially light strategy, hack-and-slash type games. You can just sit... and mindlessly slaughter entire armies. It isn't strange to see a KO count of well over 2000 during lengthy campaign battles.

To those who have played the game:

- What do you think of the franchise? Isn't it great (I think so!)
- What are you favorite characters? What Kingdom do you prefer to fight for?
- In regards to Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, etc etc., do talk about your experiences and such!

As for me, I've always been a long-time fan, all the way since DW3, of Sun Jian from the Wu Kingdom. There's something about that close-knit, family oriented Sun Family that made me fall in love for the Wu Kingdom. Also can't help but enjoy slicing and dicing the enemy with Xiahou Dun from Wei Kingdom. The eye patch makes him a bad***. Right?

Let's chat!
"He who does not fear the sword he holds is not worthy of holding a sword." ~ Shuhei Hisagi
Oct 20, 2013 8:11 PM

Nov 2008
The offshoots tend to be slightly better than the original games but they are decent if you like a lot of mindless action and a little strategy if you play on the harder difficulties. Dynasty Warriors Gundam tends to be the most fun of them all and I'm getting the latest one in December and Samurai Warriors 4 in the Spring.

Oct 20, 2013 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
I like Zou Chi since he is easy to combo and have many elemental attack.

Also I hate facing fucking Lu Bu in chaos mode.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 20, 2013 8:24 PM

Jun 2013
I think the only one I played was 3 or 4 (on PS2). It was really fun, I liked being able to just plow through the weaklings to the enemy boss. Didn't they make a Gundam spin-off?
Oct 20, 2013 8:37 PM

Oct 2013
Speaking of Lu Bu, he's ridiculous in Dynasty Warriors 8. So difficult.

I'm sort of happy for it, since he hasn't really been too bad since Dynasty Warriors 4. It seemed like he was challenging in 5 - 7, but doable. At Hu Lao Gate, Lu Bu is supposed to be nigh impossible to beat.

It's just that unbridled fear of being hacked to pieces by Lu Bu as he charges at you right on your tail that makes him such a cool enemy. Yea, he's a bit overpowered, but honestly, DW needs a good challenge once in a while. Plus, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms by author Luo Guanzong, described Lu Bu as an "unparalleled warrior". It's only a pain when you're running around like a headless chicken, looking for a jar to break for that health-filling meat bun. XD

Also, anyone play Warriors Orochi 3? That was a pretty fantastic story. I'd say it outclassed its two predecessors by a long shot.
"He who does not fear the sword he holds is not worthy of holding a sword." ~ Shuhei Hisagi
Oct 20, 2013 10:26 PM

Oct 2009
Kamikaze_X said:

To those who have played the game:

- What do you think of the franchise? Isn't it great (I think so!)
- What are you favorite characters? What Kingdom do you prefer to fight for?
- In regards to Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, etc etc., do talk about your experiences and such!

As for me, I've always been a long-time fan, all the way since DW3, of Sun Jian from the Wu Kingdom. There's something about that close-knit, family oriented Sun Family that made me fall in love for the Wu Kingdom. Also can't help but enjoy slicing and dicing the enemy with Xiahou Dun from Wei Kingdom. The eye patch makes him a bad***. Right?

Let's chat!

The franchise is great, although I'm not playing all of it. I'm only played the Orochi 1 & 2, Samurai warriors 1 to 3, and dynasty warrior 6. To be honest, I'm more interested in Samurai Warriors franchise since I love reading novels about Sengoku era Japan.

My favorite characters is, well there's too much of them, lol.

For Dynasty Warriors character:

For Orochi characters:

For Samurai Warrior characters:

What I hate about Dynasty Warriors:
You can't tell the difference between a captain and regular troops! It is very annoying in higher difficulties since you want to reduce the number of mob enemies around you as fast as you can, or you'll be kicked in the butt like a pinball game.

What I hate from more recent series:
They eliminated the Bodyguard system! I really love that features.

What I hate from the entire franchise:
They are not historically correct, lots of *cough* yaoi subtext *cough* in Samurai Warriors.
(Ranmaru x Akechi, Shima Sakon x Kanetsugu x Mitsunari, Akechi x Nobunaga, to name some).

Was planning to get Orochi 3 once it's ported to PC (maybe 5 years later, lol).
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 20, 2013 10:41 PM

Nov 2008
The Yaoi subtext is added for appeal to the fujoshi and the character designs are geared more towards a female demographic.

Oct 20, 2013 11:56 PM

Oct 2009
Hoppy said:
The Yaoi subtext is added for appeal to the fujoshi and the character designs are geared more towards a female demographic.

Well I think it's true, I mean, I'd be gay for Sanada Yukimura. And I know lots of Date Masamune fangirls out there...
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 21, 2013 3:29 AM

Dec 2011
I love facing Lu Bu, because it's a real challenge trying to kill him in Chaos mode.

My favorite one is Ma Chao fom Shu forces. The way he uses his spear and his combos is amazing.

What I hate about this franchise is, there isn't a real goal and it's also easy. It's only hard in Chaos Mode at high level maps.

About Samurai Warrios... Nene is the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2013 3:37 AM

Mar 2012
xJapaliicious said:
I love facing Lu Bu, because it's a real challenge trying to kill him in Chaos mode.
Even with the best item Lu Bu in Chaos mode can kill in two hit.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 21, 2013 3:47 AM

Dec 2011
NeoAnkara said:
Even with the best item Lu Bu in Chaos mode can kill in two hit.

That's why I love facing him. You need to survive against his charged mode and soldiers even with the best items.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2013 3:57 AM

Apr 2013
I'm torn between Zhao Yun and Jiang Wei. Can't decide who's hotter.
Oct 21, 2013 5:21 AM
Mar 2011
in the newst one there is a few weapons what brake the gane no matter who you pick cuase of movements any one equiped with that weapon can do that make you be able to more quicker than any Horse in the game

your need to have the the skill attced to the weaopn by lving the ex user to LV 50 but

use the cruved blade [ zhou tai's weapon set]
and
zhao Qaio's wepon set all so

the GOD Chractrse ie once you level up and kno tthere chains well you can beat any level on any diffucaity
Tzŭ-lung
Ling-ming
Fengxiao[ if he did not die at badai liang[ or as a result of it] Wie would have ne the war quicker 2nd best mind of his day and in my mind one of the top ten stratigets ever to have lived]
Kung-lü good chains good Musou moves and the most stupidply easy top lvel weopn in the game to get = simply put a game braker [ his as a distance weaopn with cyclone skill on it game braker if you ask me
Miaocai best top level weapon in the game the biggest game braker in the whole franchise fact the weaopn that id asvise every one to get of all top leval waopns in the game first

thta being my top five people to use are
Ziyuan
Wang Yuanji[ stil l tothihs day the only person iv got a 9999 Chain with]
Zhongda
Lady Sun
Empress Xuanmu

lest fave to use
Mengqi
Empress Zhang
Shiyuan[ on hard and hell difffucaties hes impoaasiable to lay as in older games bofre oyu could equip any weapon type and i hate his ex weapon in the newes game too[ has one of the coolest looking Mosou attack in the game only goog think i can say about hm]
Zhongquan
Yuanzh[ him and fa zhang were overrated as stratigic minds and i alos find his EX witch i like as a waopn doese not suit my play style as him he should of had Distance waepon like thowing knives best cuase of his base stance

-
fave indodued in the newst t game
Lady Guan
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 21, 2013 6:38 AM

Feb 2013
I've played a handful of the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors games on the PS2 with my brother and Started playing more again when Dynasty Warriors 7 and Warriors Orochi 2-3 came out.

Some of my favorite characters from all the games are probably Wang Yuanji, Hanbei, Nene and Sanzang. Sima Zhao's also pretty awesome. I know I'm forgetting some...

I also enjoyed the Gundam Warriors and One Piece Pirate Warriors games... and giving some short girl with twintails Dong Zhuo's style in Dynasty Warriors Next was pretty fun. Just throwing bombs everywhere and choking people out lol. Now, did she have an eyepatch? Hmm...

Dynasty Warrior-esque games are definitely something I never tire of playing. Also, Sterk from Atelier in Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate is awesome!
Oct 21, 2013 8:23 AM

Oct 2013
Guan Yinping is likely my favorite of the female characters now in Dynasty Warriors. As stated above, she was introduced in the latest rendition, DW8. Other than her, I've always been a pretty big fan of Lian Shi, Cai Wenji, and Xingcai. Wang Yuanji is also pretty fun to use, though I felt like her attacks were a bit... nerf'd, shall we say, in DW8.

In Samurai Warriors, some of my favorites are definitely between Oda Nobunaga (his power moves are insane once he's leveled), Kaihime (introduced in SW3, I played her first in WO3 though. I love her Soul Calibur Ivy-esque whip-sword), and finally Akechi Mitsuhide (his 6th power attack is the perfect crowd killer).

Also.. Achilles in WO3 was so damn fun to use. XD
Jan 31, 2014 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
I finally got DW8 at the beginning of this month. I've played other Musou games like Hokuto, Gundam, and Orochi, but this is my first DW title since 4, and I started the series with 3. Just about finished up with clearing every stage on chaos, and it's been a lot of fun. Zhou Tai and Wang Yi are my faves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4A5Q3Jtp0
Jan 31, 2014 10:12 AM

Oct 2013
I had one on psp and I had Dynasty Warriors 2. Do the games actually change because I always see the same characters again. Is it like Madden and Fifa?
Jan 31, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2011
I love the Musou series, but I never remember the names of anyone. I just pick the best looking chick or the most badass looking guy and spam buttons. I should probably start playing them properly.

Speaking of Musou, there is a Legend of Zelda version of Musou coming out soon for the WiiU. Any thoughts on that?
Jan 31, 2014 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
judgelethal said:
I had one on psp and I had Dynasty Warriors 2. Do the games actually change because I always see the same characters again. Is it like Madden and Fifa?

Pretty much. Though its one of my fav series of all time. Though I'm an old Koei fan. Gemfire baby!

Cosplayed as the Shu brothers.
Jan 31, 2014 3:08 PM

May 2013
It's mindless fun that never gets old, which is surprising seeing as how repetitive it is. The only ones that have an interesting story though is the Gundam ones, which is odd seeing as how I've never seen any actual Gundam series yet.
Jan 31, 2014 3:11 PM
Mar 2011
decry the game play alll oyu want but the story thumps most Us made action games
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 25, 2016 4:35 AM

Dec 2015
I've been a fan of the series ever since DW4, It's one of my favorite games ever. I love warriors who use spears like Ma Chao and Zhao Yun, they're just so awesome, I don't particularly like any of the kingdoms though.
I think 4 was the best, they kinda made the gameplay rather easy in the sequels, 8 kinda fixed it, they made Lu Bu hard-as-fuck to kill again
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 25, 2016 4:12 PM

Oct 2012
I started playing the series with DW3 since I was a child (not including DW1 there), I really enjoyed it back then and I always had a lot of fun playing against my father in 1vs1, it's a pity that since DW5 they removed this, though now with the whole playing with two weapons thing it'd be way to broken to include that again. Also the voice acting was so fucking hilarious that for me to be honest, it was also one of the game charms.

So after that, I kept playing the games in this order DW3XL>DW4>DW4XL>DW4E>DW5>DW5E>DW6>DW7>DW7XL>DW2>DW5XL>DW6E>DW8>DW8XL>DW8E

Of all of them, DW5 was definitely my favorite, and of all the Empires games DW5E was also the one I liked the most, and DW4XL the best one of all the Xtreme Legends games. The reason why I didn't play some like DW5XL until later it was just because I wasn't able to find them in the stores back then so I had to buy them searching in the internet once I started to have a PC.

Defintely the worse DW so far was DW6 being unfortunately the first DW that it was a huge disappointment for me, and even then since I was already a great fan of the series, I gave DW7 another chance and while it was definitely better than DW6, I still didn't like it that much like in the previous games, with DW8 on the other hand they managed to improve once again compared to before, but even now I don't like how the characters are more plain than before with having all almost the same moves.

My favorite characters are definitely Jiang Wei, Ma Chao, Zhuge Liang and Sun Ce, I enjoyed playing with Jiang Wei a lot in DW4 and DW5 with his Trident, while it was fun to use the Lighting orb with him in DW4 (like, you could still hit the enemies after C5 thanks to the great hitbox it had), it was also fun to play with him again in DW5 with the Ice orb, throwing the C1 after freezing your enemies, and using one of the special items that allowed him for his moves to have even better range, and you could hit even more enemies at once with his Musou attack with it. His new weapon in DW8 while being still a little sad that he doesn't have the Trident anymore is also very cool to be honest, and while Jiang Wei was unfortunately one of the worst characters in DW7, he became instead one of the best and most enjoyable to play in DW8. Oh, and I also really liked the voice actor of Jiang Wei in DW5.

With Ma Chao he was also one of the characters I enjoyed playing the most since DW4, like Jiang Wei playing with him with the Lightning orb was fun, and thanks to that his C1 was actually useful, using his Musou attack was also fun, in the sense that I would always just hit the soldiers at first with it, then once Ma Chao jumped and did the last attack I'd hit all the remaining soldiers surronding me along with the general if there, 'cause you did a lot of damage that way without them being in the air, this is also one thing I miss from the previous games, all the Musou attacks now are really almost the same even if visually different, just a boom! to hit all the enemies and done or to do a somehow "throw" that does better damage against the officials and generals, but then again it's really the same but just changing the animation the character does. I also liked his move list in the previous games more than DW7 and DW8 (I don't even want to mention the stupid sword Ma Chao had in DW6), the new Musou attack in the air he gained in DW8 was completely useless, and in DW5 on the other hand it was fun to use his j.C, and it was still even with having a deserved nerf in DWO. I also loved him as a character since DW5, and I also enjoyed playing against him in scenarios like Tong Gate and Bai Di Castle where he'd get power-ups.

Zhuge Liang, I just always liked his calm and smart personality, and I enjoyed using lasers, simple as that. Actually my first DW was the first one, DW1, and everytime I played with him I remembered those fucking unblockables, and he also got his C4 from there, definitely one of the best characters in that fighting game imo (Zhao Yun's mixups were also fun tho).

And finally, with Sun Ce the main reason is just that I liked the new personality he gained in DW5, and while his move list was nothing out of the ordinary in DW4, they managed to make it better in DW5, and it was one os the best weapons above average you could use in DWO.

With Samurai Warriors, I started playing the first one after having played DW5 I think, for me it was a strange game at first, but once I played the other games I realized how much I miss Oichi's first weapon, and brat Masamune was also more fun, it was not until SW4 that Masamune was really one of the worst characters in the game, right now, if I had to compare between SW4 and DW8, I'd say the gameplay in SW4 is more fun overall.

With Warriors Orochi, first of all I really enjoyed the first two games, definitely part of the best Warriors games I've played, some characters really gained cool stuff there, Jiang Wei of DW5 for example, being able to jump cancel his attacks was godlike, his special attack was also good that did a lot of damage, even characters that weren't that fun in their respective games were otherwise in WO1 & WO2, and most of the new characters like Yoshitsune were quite good, I had fun playing with him everytime I tried to get enough combos for the sword power-up.
CursedFeinJun 25, 2016 4:28 PM
Jun 27, 2016 2:37 AM
May 2009
DW games are fun, DW2 was the first warriors game, I like how each character had their own special move set.

The game has been pretty much the same, the biggest changes to the game has been, swimming, fighting on horse back (No longer able to hit both side, but just one depending on the weapon.) The maps are better in some cases.

But the most disappointing change was the costumes, I really don't like the fantasy like costumes. Also I prefered the DW2 bodyguard system, it was like leading a small unit of elites once you get the elite rank. 8 General class body guards.

Changing weapon in battle was nice.
Jun 27, 2016 4:15 AM

Jun 2016
ive never been interested in the musou games but if dynasty warriors has a good story or something that makes it more than just a hack n slash then im willing to try it. what game should i start with
Jun 27, 2016 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Vinylzen said:
ive never been interested in the musou games but if dynasty warriors has a good story or something that makes it more than just a hack n slash then im willing to try it. what game should i start with

DW7 or DW8 based on what's cheaper for you and what systems you have. DW8 is the only one of two for PC. And you should probably start with Shu's story, since DW and RotK in general are Shufags and give them more love and glory. Leave Jin for last since it's the end of the story.

If you like what you've seen, you could also try out Samurai Warriors, which features different mechanics than Dynasty Warriors, but overall feels the same. And if you like both, Warriors Orochi 3 is a crossover featuring both universes, including characters like Ryu Hayabusa, main Dead or Alive chicks, Achilles and Jeanne D'Arc.

And a big hint, play on Hard. You might need to play one quick mission in Free Mode to level up the character you need, but believe me, Musou games bellow Hard are not that good. Mooks are more aggressive on Hard and do damage to you, while on Normal they're just there, occasionally jumping at you.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 27, 2016 5:44 AM

Jun 2016
ZetaZaku said:
Vinylzen said:

DW7 or DW8 based on what's cheaper for you and what systems you have. DW8 is the only one of two for PC. And you should probably start with Shu's story, since DW and RotK in general are Shufags and give them more love and glory. Leave Jin for last since it's the end of the story.

If you like what you've seen, you could also try out Samurai Warriors, which features different mechanics than Dynasty Warriors, but overall feels the same. And if you like both, Warriors Orochi 3 is a crossover featuring both universes, including characters like Ryu Hayabusa, main Dead or Alive chicks, Achilles and Jeanne D'Arc.

And a big hint, play on Hard. You might need to play one quick mission in Free Mode to level up the character you need, but believe me, Musou games bellow Hard are not that good. Mooks are more aggressive on Hard and do damage to you, while on Normal they're just there, occasionally jumping at you.

thanks homie. i just started my torrent for DW8. also, DW7 actually is for PC i believe, or at least thats what it says on the Wikipedia page. Also, ive been using the PCSX2 emulator recently for PS2 games, so i can play some of the older DW games as well if they're any good.
Jun 27, 2016 10:27 AM

Feb 2008
Vinylzen said:
ZetaZaku said:

thanks homie. i just started my torrent for DW8. also, DW7 actually is for PC i believe, or at least thats what it says on the Wikipedia page. Also, ive been using the PCSX2 emulator recently for PS2 games, so i can play some of the older DW games as well if they're any good.

There's no English version of DW7 for PC, just Japanese. So DW8 is the only option for PC. I personally wouldn't recommend the older DW games, since the series mostly moved forward with each installment. I guess maybe DW4 or 5 if you really want to try the older games, stay away from 6 since it's not very good, and the PS2 version is inferior to the PS3/360. The older games also had a character based story line with repeating missions from different POV, while DW7-8 have a kingdom based story. Since you like Gundam, you might want to emulate DW Gundam 2 though. It's pretty much the game that made me watch Gundam and mecha in general.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 38 minutes ago

0 by johnsrp »»
38 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
2 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.