Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 12, 2015 6:48 AM
Mar 2012
You have to tell to me from where you get the shinsekai yori vibe. This anime is evidently focus on romance and the environment acts only as a setting. In Shinsekai yori is exactly the opposite. Putting aside that its characters weren't so plain even when they were kids and still in the dark, shinsekai yori is an innovative anime and a masterpiece that develops its own environment with the aim of a thorough analysis of human beings by placing them in a fantasy setting and use romance merely as a trigger for the events in the plot. Nagi it's at most another school romance anime full of clichés with a good art that put in the mix some generic "deep" problems with the aim of make the show look more interesting, and the difference between the two are obvious from the first episodes of both series. I'm not hostile to Nagi, and I'd love to see its environment developed, since I find it very interesting, but I don't see why you compare two kind of shows so different from each other, starting from the very basic aims. Sorry for bad english.
Jan 17, 2015 6:05 PM

Dec 2012
Nice op, beautiful visuals. Seems interesting. Characters seem interesting, it's nice to have a main that doesn't just stand there and take crap for a change.
Jan 17, 2015 8:23 PM

May 2014
Marvoch said:
You have to tell to me from where you get the shinsekai yori vibe. This anime is evidently focus on romance and the environment acts only as a setting. In Shinsekai yori is exactly the opposite. Putting aside that its characters weren't so plain even when they were kids and still in the dark, shinsekai yori is an innovative anime and a masterpiece that develops its own environment with the aim of a thorough analysis of human beings by placing them in a fantasy setting and use romance merely as a trigger for the events in the plot. Nagi it's at most another school romance anime full of clichés with a good art that put in the mix some generic "deep" problems with the aim of make the show look more interesting, and the difference between the two are obvious from the first episodes of both series. I'm not hostile to Nagi, and I'd love to see its environment developed, since I find it very interesting, but I don't see why you compare two kind of shows so different from each other, starting from the very basic aims. Sorry for bad english.

Bro, you only watched the first episode. I don't know if you're new or something but you should know that you really can't judge an anime solely on its First freakin episode. And Nagi no asukara isn't just another generic school romance anime. I started off with the same assumptions as you did, thinking it was just another boring school anime. But i was proved very wrong and now its my favorite anime of all time. Watch this anime up to episode 15 then come back and give us your thoughts.

And about its comparison to shinsekai yori. I don't know what comparisons you are reading but the only things I can see similarities between the two anime is the animation. They are really different and saying one is better than the other is kind of just your own opinions. Its completely true that shinsekai yori has a more sophisticated and thought-out plot with dark elements and complew characters and themes, but to some that doesn't necessarily mean its better. Nagi no asukara had an amazing soundtrack and characters and really good plot as well. Sure it wasn't as complex and deep, but i think you are forgetting what anime is actually for........entertainment. And I'll be the first to say, I enjoyed nagi a lot. And I recommend you keep watching becuase it does develop its enviroment. What kind of development of its enviroment were you expecting from one epsiode exactly???
Mar 9, 2015 7:50 PM

Feb 2013
That was a long first episode. At least that what it felt like. That's good! I feel like a lot happend. Really like the OP and ED. The premise is something I haven't seen so that's cool. I can see the love pentagon forming. I can see myseld loveing the show. I already like it a lot! I'm going to enjoy this a lot. Onto the next episode!
Apr 5, 2015 2:17 PM

Aug 2008
So if you're from the water village your hair doesn't float? Possessions stay "grounded" and don't float away? How do you cook underwater? Whatever, I just need to turn my brain off...

I guess the girls in this show are only there to be cute and to cry, I hope to get a little more out of them as the episodes go on...
Jun 16, 2015 9:34 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow, what a mature setting so far.

I'm really loving the ocean world and whatnot. So beautiful!
Jul 2, 2015 11:36 AM

Aug 2010
So many questions with regards to life in the ocean lol (like the fire?? the sweeping??) but I suppose it is kinda interesting. The triangle/rectangle relationship is all set I see. Not particularly fond of the main characters yet though... The animation is pretty nice, loving the watery feel of some of the scenes~
Jul 19, 2015 12:15 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Pretty good episode, it started a lot of threads. I just hope that anime manages to answer and explain all of them; not just leave them hanging. I'm also looking for some proper character introduction.
Jul 25, 2015 9:17 PM

May 2014
Usually with these type of shows I prefer when they establish the setting and spend a few episodes more slice-of-lifey to build the world and characters. Kinda didn't like how this whole love pentagon got shoved in our faces right away but I'm not gonna judge too harshly just off one episode :P
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Sep 2, 2015 2:19 AM

Feb 2012
I am intrigued by the concept of the show but the MC is really annoying from episode 1..

Jroflcopter said:
lol i thought that guy was a girl in the mal picture....

same.
Sep 5, 2015 5:44 AM
Mar 2014
Woah this looks so beatifull.

Manaka is so clumsy , it's kinda cute.

Let the Romance batle begin.
Sep 12, 2015 4:15 AM

Jun 2009
Yikes.

I love the setting and the art is really beautiful but I don't know how I feel about this rushed pacing, it feels like this episode adapted 5 chapters of the manga but that's really just par for the course with anime, it's very rare you find a good first episode. This Kihara chap, I don't know whether I love or hate his straightforwardness...I mean, who just comes out and says that shit to someone you've only just met? At least he's not a typical romance main character. Anyway, this show has potential.

ooo333 said:
So im rewatching this anime....

And wow, are the characters one-dimensional.

Hikari is like a shonen battle protagonist.

Kaname is the gentleman 24/7

Tsumugu is emotionless

Manaka is the happy go lucky / clumsy chick. And cries a lot.

Chisaki is the under-confident one, like Nagisa and Ryo from Clannad

And 3 times in this episode, Tsumugu appears at the right time... just wow.

Holy shit, exactly my thoughts, rofl.
Nov 21, 2015 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
So beautiful *_*
Nice animation, loooove the underwater scenery!<3
Manaka gives me Menma vibes, knew I wasn't the only one.
Nov 26, 2015 9:53 AM

Dec 2012
I love the art style.
It would be funny if that fish pop on her forehead haha
GosuDRMNov 26, 2015 10:21 AM

Dec 22, 2015 4:28 PM

Sep 2015
Wow, I'm already in love with this anime's art <3
Apr 20, 2016 5:33 PM

Feb 2013
I loved it. But that fish really grossed me out.
May 1, 2016 1:25 AM

Dec 2015
I don't like the MC already, he is an abusive jerk. I mean he's flailing this 100lb girl around like its nothing and being forceful. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits her lmao. I won't feel bad for him if he loses to the surface-dweller guy because why would she have any reason to be with him if he treats her like his personal property. I hope he ends up with no girls and gets NTR'ed and harpooned by a fisherman.
May 18, 2016 8:29 AM

Feb 2016
I really wasn't expecting this episode to be so "out there." But I guess that's how the makers of the anime wanted to hook people in. And I do agree that the animation looks superb, especially during the underwater scenes.
Oct 1, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
Main guy's a dick. The other guy is sweet. I already know who I'm rooting for.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 21, 2016 3:10 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't like the little bullying from Manaka's classmates.
I wouldn't go to school if I had that fish on my leg.
Dec 5, 2016 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
a lot of good stuff packed into one episode. Excellent first impression. A good variety of characters and personalities; gorgeous visuals; a little romance and drama implied; tensions between sea-people and land-people;
Feb 5, 2017 10:15 AM
Jan 2016
The animation is so beautiful
The characters are so cute and lovable i really like them
I really like this first episode it has potential
Apr 9, 2017 7:20 AM

Dec 2016
I just finished episode 1 and I don't know if I like it or not.
the one reason that this show caught my eye was because the animation looks so beautiful :^))) but i'm still thinking about if I should keep on watching or not, the whole show is kinda weird..the show is so " out there " from the very beginning and I don't know if I like that or not because the characters look so young and cute aswell, It doesn't suit the characters.
Maybe i'll just watch a few more episodes and see if it's something I'd like to finish!
niiikuApr 9, 2017 7:26 AM

Aug 15, 2017 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
The animation is gorgeous. But this anime is one of those anime that I need to turn my brain off because science doesn't work here with the fact that their hairs are not floating or fire under sea and not to mention.... humans living undersea. Yup, think of this as an isekai story.

Also, just first episode and it seems we already have love polygon on our hand. Me likey. I mean, the MC is a jerk but the other guy is smooth as fuck. Go smooth guy with HanaKana's character. But again, the animation is so gorgeous.

Aug 29, 2017 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, that guy is a fucking asshole. Why would they make someone you hate everything about right from the start a MC. I heard this show is good but with such piece of shit character I can't be arsed to finish the first episode.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Aug 30, 2017 8:14 AM

May 2014
Antanaru said:
Wow, that guy is a fucking asshole. Why would they make someone you hate everything about right from the start a MC. I heard this show is good but with such piece of shit character I can't be arsed to finish the first episode.

Yeah he is annoying at first, but he improved later
The show is good, even if the ending is average
Aug 31, 2017 4:40 PM

Jul 2009
This looks ridiculous, but I'll give it a bit more of course.
Dec 24, 2017 4:52 AM

Nov 2016
Beautiful artwork and I love the mysterious feel and touch of melancholy it has to it. Sure this is going to be great.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2018 7:26 PM

Jul 2015
Episode 1 does a good job in presenting this very interesting setting: Our characters live underwater but their school closed so now they have to go to a school in the land, where they can be for quite a good time before their skin suffers, but we have a problem: there is discrimination between both people that live underwater and the ones that live outside, so sad but not something unexpected considering how people work.

I definitely didn't remember the fish thing in the knee happening right at the start, poor Manaka q_q

Talking about Manaka, she and Chisaki have some S-Tier character designs, I just really like how everything in this show looks in general tbh xD
May 27, 2018 5:41 AM

Dec 2013
Minagatachi said:
The bit with the peddo demi-god saying that she's ovulating was weird, and the fish knee was even weirder. Didn't like those two things, hope the fish knee goes away in future episodes. I'll give it a few more episodes..

Exactly! everything else was to my liking but I don't like how uroko teased manaka. it was petty creepy though i'm sure he isn't really attracted to her but still
Jan 12, 2019 11:28 AM
Apr 2016
Aaaah personally, the starting was really boring, I hardly managed to finish the first 10 minutes... But oh well, I heard it gets better
Apr 13, 2019 10:50 AM

May 2016
The visuals are definitely an eye candy, and the concept looks good.

Kana's voice touches everyone's heart again.
Nov 26, 2019 5:08 AM
Jul 2016
Ah yes, love triangle.

Mario: "Here we goooooo"
Mar 1, 2020 8:03 PM

May 2019
Thats not how water works... Neither Sponge Bob world was so nosense haha

The visual is great anyway

Mar 28, 2020 5:45 PM

Feb 2014
Damn I can't even make a spongebob joke with a comment of space
May 5, 2020 12:29 AM
May 2020
Amazing 😍
And awesome sound track 👌
Aug 3, 2020 3:56 AM

Feb 2015
wtf is this pedo trash. they are confirmed middle schoolers and we know damn well the general audience is not that age, so why all the bra and thigh shots of manaka? give me a break, i try anime again after years and i get this garbage.
Dec 24, 2020 11:25 AM

Jun 2017
Very nice animation and character designs. The story might be inspired from my little mermaid I am not sure. Just the 1st episode had surprising amounts of drama. This time the male character actually has a crush on childhood friend! That is surprising lol.
Aug 21, 2021 4:56 PM
Jul 2021
This anime is depressing, not recommended
Sep 5, 2021 12:17 PM

Aug 2011
A great opening to what may potentially be an astonishing anime. The visuals alone are impressive.

I heard good and not-so-good things about this series, so it's just a wait-and-see for me.
Jul 1, 2022 6:52 PM

Jan 2021
Oh, so this is gonna hurt like a bitch then. I always find it hard to get through anime with love triangles, and now we have a love square or pentagon(?).

His attitude os rather distasteful, but I hope Hikari wins in the end.

Also, PA Works really does a good job with almost everything they produce.

Jul 12, 2022 10:43 AM

Nov 2020
It's interesting that there are humans who live in the sea and who live on the surface.

Aug 7, 2022 1:40 AM
Feb 2015
gosh Manaka is already on my nerves with her crying
Dec 20, 2022 5:37 PM

Dec 2020
Great art and design. Great world setting and environment too.

BUT naw that knee fish ain't pretty lmao it ugly
Jul 22, 2023 2:48 PM

Dec 2022
Interesting first episode
Feb 18, 10:10 PM
Feb 2024
Good Romance Anime
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2014

412 by Redcher »»
Sep 26, 2023 5:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.