Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2013 4:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This rewatch of Patlabor OVA (in BD quality no less!) has been very satisfying. The stories, the characters, the voice acting and the animation are all top notch and it's easy to see how this spawned such a big franchise with films, tv series and the like. The mix of humour, action and political/social commentary is rarely seen nowadays. If you're watching this for the first time and like it, make sure to watch the tv series, were the humour is dialed up a notch.

My favourite bit at the end was the subtle exchange between Goto and Nagumo. It's so obvious he's into her, but she is much, much harder to read.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2013 9:17 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

New slice of life section wildest ever. Texture that looks paventare terrorist scenarios beautiful tough, but eventually results in Manira very different! XD
Comedic narration and realistic with a hint of the social and political, as we have become accustomed M. Oshii!
My intention when I started watching these OVA, is to complete the full view of all the material on the set of Patlabor! I hope he does it! ^ _ ^
Jul 6, 2014 7:53 PM

May 2014
This bonus episode, with new director Naoyuki Yoshinaga, delivered all the goods. And guess what... there's ACTION! With this episode, we got a good stand alone plot with action packed sequences, and that Oshii humor that I've come to love. I can't wait to delve deeper into the universe that is Patlabor.

I REMEMBER TOUCH. PICTURES CAME WITH TOUCH. A PAINTER IN MY MIND.
Dec 15, 2014 5:36 AM

Nov 2011
What kind of a conclusion was that???

Okay, so it's because of Moritomo (the second thief) that they were able to find out about the group behind the initial theft of the Brocken Labor. Though that's what was connoted, they didn't make it absolutely clear enough. And even if I am right about that, what then? So they find out about the group behind the theft, then what? Why did Moritomo steal the truck in the first palce again? What's the connection of his actions to his wife giving birth? What the fuck

That was seriously a cheap last episode. Just happened to be a well-budgeted police chase. The two previous episodes were great. They're the greatest Patlabor episodes I've ever seen so far. They're the reasons why I would want to give this a 7, but with this as the final episode, what???? And what's with the SV2 units, go North! at the start of the credits? Does it have something to do with the first Patlabor movie?

Shit

Questions questions

There was no feeling of contentment. I felt that at the end of the 6th ep. That Kiyoteru Kai was hardboiled as fuck. Big disappointment that this OVA ended all too quickly. Even though it may have been messed up here and there, what with fucking sea monsters, at least we would have gotten more Patlabor a la Oshii.
Apr 4, 2015 8:10 AM

Mar 2009
zetsu_shoren said:

I am by know means certain, but my understanding is that the guy was trying to get to where his wife was because she was going into labor, so that's why he stole the truck. He didn't know there was a stolen Labor in the truck, but in doing so he raised attention to the stolen truck/Labor. If he hadn't done that, the thieves would've successfully smuggled it out. Also, he backed up Noa in the fight with SEE. With all that being said, the captain felt he owed the guy, so he let him go.

As for the "SV, Go North", I believe that is just the title of the episode.

I agree that eps 5-6 were the best, but every episode was great imo. This is probably the best OVA series I've seen. I wish they still made shows like this! Beatific animation, superb voice acting, stellar soundtrack, and just the right is of action, comedy, satire, and politics. Plus the unspoken tension/interest between the captains is fantastic, especially that last scene! Will definitely be watching everything else now. And will be buying the BDs at some point.

10/10
Aug 10, 2015 11:12 AM
Dec 2014
Pointless episode.

Overall 6/10 for the OVA, episodes 5-6 were the only good ones.
Aug 14, 2017 10:10 PM
Jun 2013
funny how all this was kind of a misunderstanding. The guy didint even know what he had with him and the bad guy believed he was with his cause lol. I was expecting some grand conclusion to ova just another fun episode. Now on to the movies.
Nov 2, 2017 12:28 AM
May 2012
kanuka and shinobu are my waifus.
Feb 9, 2018 1:57 PM

Sep 2013
Well, it took me 25 years to get this thing off my watch list...and it was worth the wait. Great, classic anime with a real story.

8/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 29, 2018 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
It was overall okay OVA for me. Found it bit too clinch and tons of time spends on repetitive gags and characters didn't interest me at all except Goto who really is entirely different character and the most likable other than Noa and Kanuka has potential but felt like the show didn't develop them well. Also the production value didn't really impressed me which perhaps has to do with DEEN (who don't much track with mecha shows).
Jan 7, 2019 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Not the best episode to end this OVA, but still had a nice conclusion.

Great series overall and definitely an all rounder. 8/10 for now, looking forward to check out the rest of this franchise.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 6, 2019 4:56 AM

Oct 2015
What about the previous episode, i felt like it was going to be continued on this one, but no. Wack ending but it was a bit enjoyable series especially the re-training episode, it was funny.

6/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 8, 2019 2:57 PM

Feb 2012
Committing crimes on impulse and messing up a terrorist's plan.

The guy was basically going undercover for the police without them asking him to; managed to foil a terrorists plans, outright helped Noa/Alphonse in the end and uncovered useful information about them, and now Goto will keep quiet about him stealing a truck/Labor.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 2, 2021 3:14 AM

May 2020
I think this episode would've been better as Ep 5. I think it would've been an excellent indication of what Ep 5-6 would be like and would help bridge the gap.

Overall, a good series. The characters were decent (Goto and Kanuka were the highlights). Shinobu, Noa and Shinohara were interesting and could've been developed a little more. The story was episodic and silly but Ep 5 and 6 were definitely the highlights. 7/10. Onto the movies.
Feb 3, 2021 2:57 PM

Feb 2020
I got to say these ova are not good. Barely average at best
Seeing many people recommend patlabor, i thought it was supposed to be very good. But I am disappointed. (though the recommended show was patlabor 2, not this. So maybe there is still some hope)

As for this
Comedy was dry, action was lackbuster, thrilling effect of a police drama is lacking, mecha were getting busted for no/silly reason instead of breaking in fights and episodic till the end....sigh

Only thing I liked is character designs which I found really good especially considering it's a 1988 anime and few episode which were above average (like back to training episode and jsdf rebel episodes....It would have been better if they the entire 7 episode were Jsdf rebel arc. This finale episode was kind of ok, but as a finale it sucks).

Overall a 6/10
I hope movies are better than these Ovas
AdampkFeb 4, 2021 6:20 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 21, 2021 12:50 AM

Jan 2021
Finally a good episode! The Patlabors (the things the show is named after) finally got to go into action and do something! Look, I understand the rest weren't really bad and many people liked them, but I was pretty let down by how uneventful episodes 1-6 were. Ep 1 I can understand, it's the introduction so it starts off slow, 2 was alright with the bomb diffusing plot, but then it kind of went off the rails with 3 being some bizarre Godzilla parody, 4 a ghost story (but not), 5 was alright but not what I wanted by this point as there still had been hardly any police work or patlabor scenes, and then 6 it went from 0-60 in 1 second flat with the entire squad being labeled as traitors and fighting nuclear terrorists which seemed like a huge and out of place jump from the previous episodes. I went into this series expecting a cross between Dominion Tank Police and You're Under Arrest, like with the the patlabor units going out on daily patrols, arresting criminals, and fighting bad guys but for the most part it only captured the politics and bureaucracy of police work which I found pretty dull. Glad to see the last episode finally deliver with some action and mech fights in a show named after and supposedly staring these mechs. Overall an alright series, though not really what I was expecting in terms of plot, though the artwork and animation was fantastic throughout.
May 7, 2022 10:50 AM

Feb 2021
Except for the detailed city backgrounds and smooth animation I really didn't enjoy this series. 5/10
Aug 4, 2022 6:35 AM

Mar 2018
LMAO the sexual tension at the end.

Goto: Hey, why don't you go see the baby?

Shinobu: Oh, right.

Goto: *smug face*

Shinobu: Forget it.

Tengai said:
kanuka and shinobu are my waifus.

^This guy knows.

Shrimp_Tail said:
Finally a good episode! The Patlabors (the things the show is named after) finally got to go into action and do something! Look, I understand the rest weren't really bad and many people liked them, but I was pretty let down by how uneventful episodes 1-6 were. Ep 1 I can understand, it's the introduction so it starts off slow, 2 was alright with the bomb diffusing plot, but then it kind of went off the rails with 3 being some bizarre Godzilla parody, 4 a ghost story (but not), 5 was alright but not what I wanted by this point as there still had been hardly any police work or patlabor scenes, and then 6 it went from 0-60 in 1 second flat with the entire squad being labeled as traitors and fighting nuclear terrorists which seemed like a huge and out of place jump from the previous episodes. I went into this series expecting a cross between Dominion Tank Police and You're Under Arrest, like with the the patlabor units going out on daily patrols, arresting criminals, and fighting bad guys but for the most part it only captured the politics and bureaucracy of police work which I found pretty dull. Glad to see the last episode finally deliver with some action and mech fights in a show named after and supposedly staring these mechs. Overall an alright series, though not really what I was expecting in terms of plot, though the artwork and animation was fantastic throughout.

^I share the exactly same opinion.
Nov 1, 2022 7:18 PM

May 2021
It was nothing special, just a combination of some genres with parody of the mecha genre, it made me laugh a couple of times though, it follows the same episodical formula of tons of show, characters were ok, a couple of then were decent. Anyways, I am just watching this for a better build-up to Patlabor 2, I wasnt waiting much from this anime, 3/10.
Nov 28, 2022 6:42 AM

Aug 2017
It's pretty hilarious to see Shigeru Chiba go from playing a cop/cop mechanic in Red Spectacles and the first 6 eps in this to being a communist revolutionary being overly enthusiastic about his new "comrade" haha.
Feb 4, 2023 3:16 PM

Mar 2021
I kinda enjoyed the first 6 episodes, the animation was well-made along with the action scenes, the soundtrack was good and I liked the interactions between the cast. But this last episode was like- whaaat? I was expecting it to be a continuation from the previous one, what a shame.

5/10.
Jul 14, 2023 1:00 PM

Aug 2020
Oh my this was an amazing starting point. It had its downsides, but all in all it was really good. I hope the next parts get even better!

Feb 20, 4:56 PM

Oct 2021
Great stuff, this OVA was a great introduction into the series, can't wait to watch the next stuff.
Mar 6, 7:05 AM

Jul 2017
This episode started out a bit weird, but it came around in the end. It was cool to see more mech fights and that Noa is actually amazing. Pretty cool noir-style ending too.

Amazing OVA overall - a new favorite!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 1 Discussion

RX-782 - Mar 2, 2014

20 by Adriannitro »»
Apr 19, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 6 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 19, 2013

20 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 5, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 5 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 19, 2013

23 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 4, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 4 Discussion

Fronzel - Jan 25, 2013

28 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 4, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor Episode 3 Discussion

m0xxxy - Apr 23, 2012

36 by GarouWolf »»
Feb 17, 7:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.