Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2013 4:54 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The excellent conclusion to this mini-arc. Goto outfoxes Kai with the help of the Maritime Police and the American military that lend him a sub. From what Kai said at the end, it's implied that in the past Goto shared some of his political views which makes him even more interesting in my view.

They still manage to keep some of the humour though. When Kanuka get's hold of the super gun, Ota's reaction is priceless.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 25, 2013 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode very good, the plot presents us with a day to the Cold War, thanks allla OST always spot on. Narration adrenaline, too bad the part about the clash hard too little, but on the other hand we have a more than good performance on the movements that animate these actions!
Design, characters and animations very beautiful!
I wanted to give 4/5, but 5/5 I think it's the right fit!
Jul 6, 2014 7:09 PM

May 2014
Marzan said:
[b] From what Kai said at the end, it's implied that in the past Goto shared some of his political views which makes him even more interesting in my view.

I came to that same conclusion, but I also took this from his last words; Crime will never end as long as there's tommorow. I consider that a cliffhanger-esque ending, even though it really wasn't.But this episode was the original ending for the ova. The 7th episode was just a bonus episode with a different director. So I would assume that Oshii intended to leave us hanging in order to increase the potential for continuing the story into a movie. Which is what I heard they did for Patlabor 2.

I REMEMBER TOUCH. PICTURES CAME WITH TOUCH. A PAINTER IN MY MIND.
Dec 10, 2014 5:52 AM

Nov 2011

HARD-BOILED
Jul 10, 2015 4:52 PM

Jun 2009
Gotou is petty much the standout character so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 13, 2016 11:45 PM
Oct 2010
-My ass hurts!

- SAHRAPP!
Jul 22, 2016 10:22 PM
Jun 2014
It's impressive how well they are able to transition between comedy and intense action/thriller.
Aug 14, 2017 9:16 PM
Jun 2013
that was entertaining and even had some funny moments. Though kinda felt like it abruptly ended. Maybe this kai guy will be back.
Feb 9, 2018 12:43 PM

Sep 2013
Yeah, it ended kind of suddenly. Still good ep though.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 7, 2019 11:55 AM

Nov 2016
I thought this was building up to something bigger, but oh well, still a great episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 23, 2019 11:32 PM

Aug 2015
Great story arc that seemlessly shifts from character based dynamics (like Asuma trying to find a place to crash) to American-style action movie, even if Kanuka and co.'s exploits end in glorious failure. It's not a political thriller till the terrorists seize a nuclear weapon :D

Kanuka's mention of wanting to visit her grandmother during the vacation seems to be the seed for the relevant Patlabor TV series episodes.

Shinobu truly shines here in her dialogue defying her orders based on her conviction.

The coup d'etat in Patlabor, released in the twilight year of the Showa era, indirectly deals with the period of government by assassination in which Imperial military officers committed acts of terrorism to destroy the civilian government, such as the May 15 incident of Stand Alone Complex infamy. The Tokyo police were complicit in these acts of terrorism; Shinobu's commitment to defending the liberal state of Japan with an equal zeal in Patlabor seems to me like kind of metaphorical apology for the actions of the Tokyo police in the early Showa years.
This arc also seems to reflect a skepticism about the purpose of the JSDF in the state of Japan.

The use of Kai's face for the credits seems to me to be an odd directorial choice. Isn't he the bad guy? Why are we looking at him during the credits? Perhaps I am looking at this too much from American movie conventions, and as dj22319 suggested, his visage is meant to remind us that the problem will continue. Or maybe the animators really just liked the painting they made.
glassknucklesMar 23, 2019 11:52 PM
Sep 8, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2012
Mentor turning bad, a classic reversal of the "A Pupil of Mine, Until He Turned to Evil" trope.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 2, 2021 2:56 AM

May 2020
Well, that was... a conclusion. Hopefully, the rest of the franchise clears up the ending. Still, it was an entertaining arc. Also, I really hope we get to see Kanuka, Izumi and the rest of the gang in the movies.
Mar 19, 2021 11:32 AM
May 2018
Yeah, ending was a bit sudden lol. But this and the previous episode felt like movies. The magic that is 80’s anime on full display. Loved it.
Aug 18, 2021 6:53 AM

Mar 2014
Based Kai wanted to restore Imperial Japan.

But whole coup thing was a little naive. Why didn't he simply occupy government offices and take over like it was done for centuries.

May 7, 2022 10:14 AM

Feb 2021
What an abrupt and weird way to end this
Nov 28, 2022 4:39 AM

Aug 2017
Launching a Labor from a nuclear submarine is sure a weird plan...nice 2-parter but I hoped to see some more of Shinobu's standoff against the JSDF. Her red umbrella was a nice moment too.
Feb 18, 2023 6:15 PM
Jul 2020
egg egg egg bvurger eghgg
Jun 10, 2023 12:55 AM
Feb 19, 6:04 PM

Oct 2021
Hmm, kinda confusing but everything went fine at the end, lol.

The animation and aesthetics in this anime are top notch.
Mar 5, 11:17 PM

Jul 2017
Way more political intrigue than the rest, and the ending has a shocking implication. I had some trouble following this episode because of a variety of things on my mind, but I still think it was really good. They probably could have extended the confrontation scene a bit and made the ending less abrupt. Maybe it should have been a three-parter? I wasn't even sure that was the end of the story before I read this discussion board.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 1 Discussion

RX-782 - Mar 2, 2014

20 by Adriannitro »»
Apr 19, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 7 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 23, 2013

23 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 6, 7:05 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 5 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 19, 2013

23 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 4, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 4 Discussion

Fronzel - Jan 25, 2013

28 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 4, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor Episode 3 Discussion

m0xxxy - Apr 23, 2012

36 by GarouWolf »»
Feb 17, 7:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.