Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Aug 23, 2013 8:33 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Character: Fujiko Mine (Lupin III)

(Look up images of her yourself. What you find yourself will be much sexier than anything we are allowed to post here anyway)

MAL Character Information Page - http://myanimelist.net/character/1047/Fujiko_Mine

Member Favorites: 102

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Fujiko Mine was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
7 Yes - 24.1%
22 No - 75.9%

48 Don't know this character - 57.8% of the total number polled
6 Abstained - 7.2% of the total number polled
Don_Don_KunNov 10, 2013 11:14 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 26, 2013 3:48 AM

Apr 2012
As I am not an avid Lupin III fan nor have I read the many many works under its title franchise, I'll simply go off Cagliostro, Detective Conan vs, and the classic '71 series. I'd really like to hear from someone in her defense, especially if they've seen the later entries.

Being that the '71 series never ingrains itself with character details to begin with, there's not a lot to say about Fujiko. She's an unremarkable, understated character, flavored with touches of femme fatale. However, as with the other stereotypes in the series, she is simply the standard temptress, taking a lot of inspiration from older titles which feature the same type of harlot. But what's strange, and perhaps even subverts this side of her, is that she oftentimes plays as the damsel of distress for the Lupin gang—sometimes intentionally, oftentimes not. This makes you question what the true intent of her character is. As the only female, she seems to take an all-around leftovers position, glopping up whatever you need a woman to do in the plots whenever she's not already playing the badass "feminist". An ironic mix, isn't it?

What's more, if it weren't for her gender and the occasional incidents where she uses her sexuality to her advantage, she would be but another member of the gang. Surely this puts her characterization (and single distinctive trait) into perspective.
Aug 26, 2013 4:32 PM

Aug 2011
Having seen almost half of the specials, movies, OVAs, all of the first series, and almost half of the second series, I'll say this:

There is a lot of variance. But this is true for any Lupin character. What I think is important about Fujiko are her consistencies. She is consistently smarter than the world's best thief, she's ruthless, cunning, and scandalous.

I think the most important pieces to watch to see Fujiko's character are Mine Fujiko to iu Onna, which came out in 2012 and is a 13 episode series based solely around Fujiko. It is the first Lupin title not to feature Lupin as the main character, and the only. It depicts Fujiko in a much stronger manner. We see Fujiko's actions strongly effect those around her, the impact she leaves, her motivations, and her aspirations. We see Fujiko forsake a train loaded with treasure to save some children (only to find out later, she wasn't after that treasure anyway, which was an excellent way to twist the knife representing her true intentions). We see her fall in love. The series does a magnificent job developing her, as well as the supporting cast. While it isn't the only option for how to vote for Fujiko, I think it's the one most would want to see. Also note that as a prequel series, there's no required anime to watch before watching it.

I'll also point out, Castle of Cagliostro only has Fujiko making a cameo appearance, and shouldn't be used for voting on her character. The original '71 series, the '77 series, and the '84 series are all options. Fujiko's Unlucky Days is an option. Island of Assassins is an option. And of course the manga, which is probably my second favorite representation of Fujiko, and also explains nil's situational confusion with Fujiko's role in the first series:

In the manga, Fujiko isn't one person. Any time a woman appears in the manga (unless there's multiple women per arc) then her name is Fujiko, and she plays a detrimental role to the storyline. But there's never any familiarity between her and Lupin, Jigen, or Goemon. Fujiko is simply a moniker, if you will. Fujiko is many characters, and when talking about the manga, people will this, "This chapter's Fujiko is x," or "That chapter's Fujiko was y." It's simply the nature of the manga. Most of the first series is based on the manga, if only marginally, and so Fujiko will often play the same role, making her seemingly a victim one episode, and the primary antagonist the next.

In the second series, this is changed, and Fujiko has a cohesive personality. She also follows the second series personality for the specials, movies, OVAs, and third series, and Mine Fujiko to iu Onna.

Anyway, I'll be sure to respond to anymore questions, comments, critiques, or concerns.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Aug 26, 2013 5:27 PM

Apr 2012
Well, no, I wasn't talking about the manga, and if that type of event was spawned from the manga, it certainly didn't happen in the '71 series that I was talking about. When I describe Fujiko as mingling all sorts of female roles (even ones that debase what her character is known for), she is visibly and distinctively Fujiko. Not another woman taking on her name. Nor a faceless character assuming the "Fujiko" position. Her role (and henceforth her personality) is utterly inconsistent in the series, which is a bit strange if you consider that your second favorite representation of her.

As I also state, this is not the flaw of her character but one of the many flaws of her character. That's cool if they iron out the kinks of her role by later installments. But it also doesn't change her from being yet another unremarkable member of the gang.

Furthermore, does the characterization in "Mine Fujiko" affect how one sees the cast in the rest of the titles? Unlike Part I, which serves as the typified pattern for the succeeding Parts (and of which forms the basis of Lupin III's legacy), I say no. That's like voting on Casca purely from the Golden Age Arc; Fujiko's character elsewhere does not share or gain anything from such insights in "Mine Fujiko". I may be pedantic in playing a number (and patterns) game, but that's really all there is to it.
Aug 31, 2013 6:50 AM

Dec 2007
Watching Fujiko's 2012 series I only have one thing to say: she's a whore.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Aug 31, 2013 10:36 PM

Oct 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Watching Fujiko's 2012 series I only have one thing to say: she's a whore.

there's a fine line between that and being a femme fatale
Sep 2, 2013 6:57 AM

Dec 2007
Indeed. Now that I finished the anime, gonna translate the part of my review on this character: http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2013/08/lupin-third-mine-fujiko-to-iu-onna.html

She's nobody, she's nothing, she's just a sex machine that steals things. The time she pends showing off her boobs is largely superior to the time she spends doing useful things. She has not the charm of the femme-fatale. In fact, she does not have charm at all. She's vulgar, on the worst sense of the word. Therefore, a whole series about her - even if the art is interesting - has that characteristic as well. At one side, we can say that Mine Fujiko is characterized in a coherent way? Well, after the last episodes I would doubt that. On the other side, considering she is coherent, is this type of character really needed? Wouldn't it be better to make her a bit more human, with a less sexual seduction? Stays the debate.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 21, 2013 3:18 PM

Apr 2009
This is why I'm going to abstained from voting for this. Her characterization varies too wildly in different works to conclusively vote for her. With the newest series being the worst offender.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.