Forum Settings
Forums

Disabling the Option to Down-Vote Reviews

New
Jul 25, 2013 12:48 PM

Mar 2013
~Over 1/2 of this post's content has been deleted, and many posts on the thread have been wiped as well. I do not feel like recreating the content of this post again, but it had a way better and more accurate meaning than it has now. If you still feel like commenting, do so, but the thread has been slain. Oh, what's more, my responses to other users have been deleted as well, meaning that I cannot even defend myself from some negative or off-topic accusations. All in all stay away from this thread until it gets deleted, since it could just cause a lot of misunderstandings~

But still, if you will wonder in this thread, allow me to point a crucial thing out that many didn't seem to understand: This thread is not about me and my reviews. It's about the community and their reviews in general. So please, if you do indeed read this thread, do not focus on me, as I'm not important here and I'm not suggesting this for my own good, but for everyone's benefit.

Hello, guys and gals.

Before I go on, I'm terribly sorry if this suggestion was already written and discussed somewhere.
I have checked and searched the forum up, and couldn't find any similar topics, so in advance, I'm really sorry if it was already talked about.

The main idea is to disable the option to Down-vote (Not Helpful) reviews.

Now, let me express myself why I would find that useful, as well as show some positive outcome from it and some negative.
I would be thankful if you could read the post until the ending before replying.

I'll start off with negative, just to be a little special. ;)

Negative Outcome:

We won't be able to say how a specific review was judged by percentage, since only the up-voting option would be given. Because of that being so, the way the top-two reviews are displaying for some series now would have to be changed, as the current would be useless. Maybe the system could be kept as it is now, just meaning that there would be always 0 down-votes, and it would only matter how much up-voted you got, not the percentage gained, since it would always be 100%. Of course, the older reviews might have advantage if that would be the case, but it would be the best solution.

Edit: Maybe some sort of an Up-Vote vs Time system could be input to balance that out.

Positive Outcome:

At the moment, your review has a lot of chance of being down-voted if you are not known around, or any other factor that has no direct relation to the review and its structure at all. Because that is so, people that have the mood and happiness to write reviews soon stop doing so, because they get down-voted so much, and that breaks them. They think: "Why? I tried my best. I wrote a review that I'm so proud of. Yet, a review that is 10 times shorter and less quality-made is ranked higher than mine. Why..."

That is the crucial reason why I would want the down-voting to be removed, because it has that huge drawback of unfairness.
It indeed comes down to each individual and how fair he/she is, but we cannot rely much on that.

Now, one may think that disabling the option to down-vote reviews might increase the so-called "spam reviews", or "useless reviews". Well, I sure have thought about it since it seems logical enough. However, that is one thing I would sacrifice for the happiness of the watchers/readers out there, and later on sharing their opinion with no bad feelings after they have added them. Note that those kind of reviews would always be reportable.

Edit: There has been quite a nice discussion going on through the thread, and if you could take your time to read some responses, it would be great, since something you might want to point out might have been said already.

Here is an example of a short discussion:

SubPyroFlow said:
RebuildOfKam said:
There are too many troll reviews out there in MAL that discourage talented reviewers from writing anything anymore. People need to understand that reviews should not be about your personal "rage" or "lust" for certain character. Just because the story ended in a certain way that does not suit your liking, does not mean the whole show is utter trash (latest example: oreimo ova).

The review system here should be completely overhauled, but seeing MAL is quite understaffed and haven't had much of an upgrade (in terms of user experience) in years, don't expect anything.

I agree with every single point you have made.

OreImo OVA is a great example, not only of the subjective reviews, but rating as well.
What the community doesn't understand is that there are two options: Helpful and Not Helpful, not I Agree and You Are Wrong.

The reviews are meant to those who still haven't watched the series, yet, when someone has already seen them and goes to read the reviews, if he/she is angry, he/she chooses they are Not Helpful, because he/she is simply mad and doesn't personally agree.

That just isn't right.

Please, do share your opinions and thoughts regarding the topic.
Thank-you very much.

Mod Note: As explained in the end note, this thread was heavily affected by the hacker attack and subsequent restore. At that point a number of posts were lost and are unavailable.
rodacNov 26, 2013 12:52 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 26, 2013 11:17 PM

Jan 2008
This isn't facebook :D.
Seriously though, I see no gain from disabling down votes. There are plenty of "reviews" that, IMO, should be outright deleted, not just down votes.
Jul 27, 2013 7:26 AM

Feb 2012
i actually have many down-votes on my recent reviews. but, not a single person commented on profile telling me why they're bad. that's what gets to me. i gave those shows a very low score. so i assume they were all fanboys. but you never know.
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

Jul 27, 2013 8:16 AM

Mar 2013
DmonHiro said:
Seriously though, I see no gain from disabling down votes. There are plenty of "reviews" that, IMO, should be outright deleted, not just down votes.

Indeed, this isn't Facebook.
However, I would rather remove the Up-Voting Option as well than keep them both.

RyugaHellsing said:
i actually have many down-votes on my recent reviews. but, not a single person commented on profile telling me why they're bad. that's what gets to me. i gave those shows a very low score. so i assume they were all fanboys. but you never know.

I dislike that as well.
I take disliking of a Review and no comment on it as a Troll-Down-Vote. I just hate those.
Jul 27, 2013 11:00 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I agree that this is not facebook and people's feelings shouldn't get dishearted THAT easily. I like seeing the votes to have a first impression of what I should expect and if only upvoting is allowed... what's the meaning of it? To see how many just approve? It contributes to nothing. Downvoting exists for balance. Suppressing one side completely for another... well, no.

If you get downvoted and have no feedback, then ask a friend for an opinion instead of just thinking how useless your review was and how cruel world can be. It can be bad, it could be downvoted by fanboys/haters but that doesn't change the fact that you gave it your best either way. Disabling downvotes is kind of "running away" and wanting to only see how many like it but everything has 2 sides.

Also, I'm more afraid that people will start commenting badly on profiles even more than now because there's no downvote button and that's the only way (together with pms, really) of expressing their displeasure.

RyugaHellsing said:

SubPyroFlow said:

I take disliking of a Review and no comment on it as a Troll-Down-Vote. I just hate those.

To be honest, I don't really grasp 100% of that logic. I have not written any reviews here but I've generally written stuff elsewhere and I honestly don't expect every single one of the people that downvoted or just said they didn't like it without backing it up, to spend more time on it analysing what was wrong with it. Is it welcome? Of course it is. Is it obligatory? Surely, no. People decide what to do with their time and since they didn't like something, why spend more on it?

There are always gonna be fanboys of a series you are against and haters for a series you approve of, but that doesn't justify for anyone to HAVE to give a report to you (or anyone else that writes a review or anything else) of why they disagree on it. Because when it comes down to it, then, upvoters should give a report of why they agree with you and if they agree with everything and and and and. It's not ONLY negative opinions that help and it helps noone to just assume that they are trolls :v You can be sad about it (since feedback is always nice) but that doesn't change the fact that you don't know who were they and why they did it so naming everyone as trolls/fanboys/haters is kind of... silly and seems like you can't just accept that people just didn't like it.

I usually downvote without explaining myself because it's my choice not to since I don't want to. It's not a professional site to have to give feedback unless I'm in the mood to do it and have lots of things to say (kind of like right now because I'm bored enough to do it xD).
Jul 28, 2013 12:57 AM

Feb 2012
Maffy said:

RyugaHellsing said:

To be honest, I don't really grasp 100% of that logic. I have not written any reviews here but I've generally written stuff elsewhere and I honestly don't expect every single one of the people that downvoted or just said they didn't like it without backing it up, to spend more time on it analysing what was wrong with it. Is it welcome? Of course it is. Is it obligatory? Surely, no. People decide what to do with their time and since they didn't like something, why spend more on it?

There are always gonna be fanboys of a series you are against and haters for a series you approve of, but that doesn't justify for anyone to HAVE to give a report to you (or anyone else that writes a review or anything else) of why they disagree on it. Because when it comes down to it, then, upvoters should give a report of why they agree with you and if they agree with everything and and and and. It's not ONLY negative opinions that help and it helps noone to just assume that they are trolls :v You can be sad about it (since feedback is always nice) but that doesn't change the fact that you don't know who were they and why they did it so naming everyone as trolls/fanboys/haters is kind of... silly and seems like you can't just accept that people just didn't like it.

I usually downvote without explaining myself because it's my choice not to since I don't want to. It's not a professional site to have to give feedback unless I'm in the mood to do it and have lots of things to say (kind of like right now because I'm bored enough to do it xD).

i just want to clarify my stance. im not saying that everyone who down-votes something is a fanboy. but if you have many down-votes, the likelihood of at least one person offering a decent counter argument rises. in the absence of that, you kinda have no choice but to assume they were all fanboys. the key word here is assume. no one should be certain of it. feeling sad about it is silly. if i had a choice between being sad and assuming they were fanboy votes, i would definitely choose the latter because im not offending anyone by doing so :D

RyugaHellsingJul 28, 2013 1:10 AM
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

Jul 28, 2013 12:59 AM

Apr 2007
Or, you could write better reviews.
Jul 28, 2013 1:05 AM

Jun 2013
You guys should just close these forums and go outside.

Or you could come to terms with "fanboys".
Jul 28, 2013 2:07 AM

Mar 2013
Maffy, you went ahead explaining how everything would be unbalanced and missed one big part out: "I would rather have the Up-Voting removed as well than keep the current system."

If I may ask you, what do you think would be wrong if the whole rating was removed?
Do tell.

Also, I'm on RyugaHellsing's side on this one.
If someone sees a specific review has more dislikes than likes, people tend not to think regardless of the review's position and content, but how it was rated by others, so they feel like they should down-vote it as well.

That's not the point here, Kuradachi, and I would like you to avoid posting spam on my threads otherwise I will ask actions to be taken.

And just where do you see fairness in that, Jyupita?
If you think the system should be like that, it is pretty sad.
Jul 28, 2013 3:10 AM

Apr 2007
To elaborate, those downvotes may not only be "fanboys trolling," but also serious people who want to decide whether he or she wants to watch the anime or not. A review that has many downvotes just goes to show how unhelpful the review was and that it could have been written better. Your reviews wouldn't improve if all you get were praises. Dismissing downvotes as fanboyism is just being in-denial.

I also don't think it should be removed because it discourses incompetent people from writing unhelpful reviews that turn out to be just rants and such.

To be honest, I would say your reviews were genuinely unhelpful; this is not just me being a fanboy, since it contains mostly plot summary and synopsis, which can already be found on the anime page. Reviews should convince the reader to watch or not watch the anime, not just describe it.
ZephysJul 28, 2013 4:49 AM
Jul 28, 2013 3:33 AM

Dec 2012
Reviews can get downvoted if they aren't specific enough or have an obvious bias. The amount of downvotes shown can tell people that usually straight off the bat.

Reviews should tell people the ups and downs of the anime. Examples would be; the art, sound and voice acting, whether or not the show will appeal to the target audience. In my eyes, reviews that fail to meet proper requirements don't deserve to have an upvote so I agree Kuradachi in this case.

The downvote system is helpful and it will turn away amateurs who can't take criticism and stop. But then again it will help ameture reviewers who want to better themselves and see whether or not their review helped people, if they see that they failed, they can revise and examine what they did wrong and what they did right.

It would be helpful if people told the reviewer what they did wrong but beggars can't be choosers.
Jul 29, 2013 4:19 AM

Mar 2013
"It would be helpful if people told the reviewer what they did wrong..."

That would be very wanted.
Jul 30, 2013 2:17 AM

Mar 2013
sazzert said:
Removing negative votes might have the effect of convincing more people to start reviewing.

Objurgo said:
The downvote system is helpful and it will turn away amateurs who can't take criticism and stop.

A solution to this problem might be that if you find a reviewer that you do not agree with, the addition of an option to hide the users reviews from sight while letting other people see the review. If you enjoyed a users posts, you could add them to your friends and the review would be higher on the list.

The scoring system could be modified to ask for sound quality, animation quality, etc. This would solve or at least lessen some of the complaints people have voiced in this post.

I like your way of thinking there.

Indeed, maybe sorting the Reviews for each person differently that would be effected by multiple factors would be great. (Friends, Subscription, ...)
Jul 30, 2013 2:34 AM

Oct 2010
The upvote/downvote system is actually very fine, regardless of the use some make of it. My problem comes more with how reviews are ordered. After almost three years I haven't figured out yet which algorythm do the reviews follow to appear in a specific order. And I miss a lot of other features, being able to order by date, reviewer, vote, etc. It is a very limited tool compared with other sites and makes individual search godawful. I think the review system in general need a lot more investment than what it's given, there's a lot of stuff to do in them: spoiler sections (or warnings), ordering and listing features, having direct access to your favorites, moderation (hope this turns out well)...
Jul 30, 2013 4:41 AM

Mar 2013
The reviews are sorted by percentage of Up-Vote vs Down-Vote.

For example, let's take that one review has 10 Up-votes and 5 Down-Votes.
It would display like this: 10 our of 15 found this review helpful.

It means that your review has a power of 0.6666.

Basically, the formula is Up-Votes/Down-Votes, and the highest number you get is the one on the top.

10 Up-votes and 5 Down-votes = 200 Up-votes and 100 Down-votes
11 Up-votes and 5 Down-votes > 219 Up-Votes and 100 Down-Votes
Aug 4, 2013 5:48 PM
Jun 2013
A lot of reviews I see has less than a 50% total helpful rating. I think there are just a lot of haters who like to down vote for the hell of it. If I dont like or agree with a review, I would never down vote it. I myself dont write reviews, but its annoying to see decent reviews having so many down votes for whatever reason. I see so many down votes, it's hard to seperate which down-votes are actually "helpful" or just "trolling", because that's the feeling I get.
Aug 6, 2013 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
neonblonde said:
A lot of reviews I see has less than a 50% total helpful rating. I think there are just a lot of haters who like to down vote for the hell of it. If I dont like or agree with a review, I would never down vote it. I myself dont write reviews, but its annoying to see decent reviews having so many down votes for whatever reason. I see so many down votes, it's hard to seperate which down-votes are actually "helpful" or just "trolling", because that's the feeling I get.

That is my point exactly.
Thank-you very much for sharing.

shadowtsunami said:
I believe the algorithm they use is in ordering reviews is the helpful/not helpful ratio. The closer the review's ratio is to 1 (for example .8) the further it goes up on the list.

Yes, it is like that, as I've said above.
Aug 8, 2013 12:10 PM

Aug 2008
After reading this I now know to comment why a review was bad. On another note though, I find 90% of reviews to be bad mainly because I just think all the shows I like are master pieces and need 10/10 lol.
Aug 8, 2013 12:28 PM

Sep 2012
I like aniDB review system much better where you can rate a review within 1-10 scale because many time I just feel a review is not that well written for getting helpful but it is not that bad written that I click 'not helpful' button.On anidb.net I rate them 5,6 or 7 according to how well written they are but,
On the other hand MAL only has two options.
Aug 9, 2013 11:47 PM

Oct 2012
I think reviews are fine the way they are right now. I just like to downvote fanboy/fangirl/hater/troll reviews, lol :p

Besides, most of the top reviews per anime are... not that bad.
Aug 13, 2013 7:35 AM

Mar 2013
2_Steps_Ahead said:
I like aniDB review system much better where you can rate a review within 1-10 scale because many time I just feel a review is not that well written for getting helpful but it is not that bad written that I click 'not helpful' button.On anidb.net I rate them 5,6 or 7 according to how well written they are but,
On the other hand MAL only has two options.

Yeah, me too.
A system like that is really nice.

tuiddlestix said:
It would be relatively easy to game a system like this.

When you write a review, the time of submission is very important. Take an airing series, for example. An early review would have an unfair advantage over a reviewer that patiently waited and gave an unbiased, total review. This is somewhat true now, but this is mitigated by the ability for a user to compare reviews through a "yes/no" system. Having only one option is the same as having no option at all, reviews would do just as well when they would be ordered by time of submission.

I have said that it would be tricky.
Maybe we could do a "Like vs Time" system, but I would like time not to be an obstacle in any way.

MCsq2 said:
I think reviews are fine the way they are right now. I just like to downvote fanboy/fangirl/hater/troll reviews, lol :p

Besides, most of the top reviews per anime are... not that bad.

The forum avatar suits you.
It doesn't matter if the current top reviews are good or not, there is always a review that can be better, and everyone who likes to write reviews should have the same chance and possibility to show his/her opinion to everyone.
Aug 15, 2013 2:11 PM
Jul 2012
I think you should at least be able to change your mind on a review, sometimes I click helpful/not helpful but not by purpose because I'm scrolling on mobile and such
Aug 16, 2013 8:20 AM

Mar 2013
Tarextherex said:
I think you should at least be able to change your mind on a review, sometimes I click helpful/not helpful but not by purpose because I'm scrolling on mobile and such

You're right, I don't know why I haven't pointed that out as well.
Thank-you for bringing it up. :D
Aug 18, 2013 8:47 AM

Apr 2009
I wouldn't agree with this because we wouldn't be able to determine who's credible or not & there are a lot of people here on MAL who don't actually know how to review in the first place; it's fine as it is now & it's a good countermeasure for Fanboys/girls & Trollers. I would also add that a reviewer has to actually finish the Animé or Manga & not reviewing it halfway through I've seen a lot of people do this here & it's not very assuring to me; what's the point of reviewing it? Right? that's what the Animé/Manga episode/chapter discussions are for; if they want to review it by episodes or by chapters. Imagine playing a game & not finishing it then reviewing it immediately how can you determine the good & bad points of a game if you haven't even completed it yet?

Aug 18, 2013 10:42 AM
Jan 2013
Edge12 said:
I wouldn't agree with this because we wouldn't be able to determine who's credible or not & there are a lot of people here on MAL who don't actually know how to review in the first place; it's fine as it is now & it's a good countermeasure for Fanboys/girls & Trollers. I would also add that a reviewer has to actually finish the Animé or Manga & not reviewing it halfway through I've seen a lot of people do this here & it's not very assuring to me; what's the point of reviewing it? Right? that's what the Animé/Manga episode/chapter discussions are for; if they want to review it by episodes or by chapters. Imagine playing a game & not finishing it then reviewing it immediately how can you determine the good & bad points of a game if you haven't even completed it yet?

During an airing season, the reviews can help sway you to check on a series. A well-written review is the ideal, but there's a reason the buttons are "helpful/not helpful" and not "good/bad".
Aug 18, 2013 10:49 AM

Mar 2013
Edge12 said:

I never said that there shouldn't be a system which would show more credit towards a better review, but the current system has much too much space for abusement.

Also, I agree on making the writing of a review available only after someone has their series under the "Completed" list. I've seen many write reviews before the series even hit half episodes released, and that means the review as a whole wasn't complete.
Aug 18, 2013 6:21 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
There should be a mechanism where if a person wants to vote on a review, they have to take a quiz on what the review actually said in a separate tab and they can never go back to the review. If they do go back, they get disqualified and they can never vote on that particular review. Now if they take the quiz and fail, then the same thing will happen. That way we can root out all the ADHD fanboys who only pay attention to the score and don't bother with reading the actual words of the review to tell whether it was helpful or not.

Hell, why not just add like a comment link on the review so that people can respond to the review itself? Similar to how people can leave comments on a MAL blog.
Aug 18, 2013 6:29 PM
Jan 2013
DrGonzo7 said:
There should be a mechanism where if a person wants to vote on a review, they have to take a quiz on what the review actually said in a separate tab and they can never go back to the review.

How would you regulate that? Troll quizzes could easily be a problem.

Aug 18, 2013 9:29 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Then just report them like any other troll review. :3
Aug 19, 2013 12:43 AM

Mar 2013
DrGonzo7 said:
Hell, why not just add like a comment link on the review so that people can respond to the review itself? Similar to how people can leave comments on a MAL blog.

"That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated."

On short, I do agree, but troll posts would still be there, like tuiddlestix has said.
Although the Review Moderators are coming, that would be a lot of work, don't you think?
Aug 19, 2013 1:10 AM
Jan 2013
DrGonzo7 said:
Then just report them like any other troll review. :3

Yeah, that's really the best solution, but the problem is that not a lot of people vote in the first place. Out of those, the people who will go out of their way to report might be very small.
Aug 19, 2013 1:42 AM

Mar 2013
I have edited the first post a bit by adding a bit more info.
Every point stays the same, though.
Aug 19, 2013 3:17 PM

Mar 2008
There are too many troll reviews out there in MAL that discourage talented reviewers from writing anything anymore. People need to understand that reviews should not be about your personal "rage" or "lust" for certain character. Just because the story ended in a certain way that does not suit your liking, does not mean the whole show is utter trash (latest example: oreimo ova).

The review system here should be completely overhauled, but seeing MAL is quite understaffed and haven't had much of an upgrade (in terms of user experience) in years, don't expect anything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2013 3:04 AM

Mar 2013
RebuildOfKam said:

I agree with every single point you have made.

OreImo OVA is a great example, not only of the subjective reviews, but rating as well.
What the community doesn't understand is that there are two options: Helpful and Not Helpful, not I Agree and You Are Wrong.

The reviews are meant to those who still haven't watched the series, yet, when someone has already seen them and goes to read the reviews, if he/she is angry, he/she chooses they are Not Helpful, because he/she is simply mad and doesn't personally agree.

That just isn't right.
SubbedAug 20, 2013 3:11 AM
Aug 21, 2013 12:26 AM

Jun 2012
First off I like the way you explained your suggestion. The problem I see with this is if I can't down vote terrible reviews(I'm fair but 3 sentences or a rant about why you think a certain anime is overrated is not a review) I might have to go directly to the source and leave mean comments on their profile.

I definitely see you reasoning though.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 21, 2013 1:49 AM

Aug 2008
If you create a badly written review, you deserve to be downvoted.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 22, 2013 2:35 PM

Aug 2013
Well, there are TROLLS.

Aug 22, 2013 5:35 PM

Dec 2009
I agree.

Also, let's revamp the languages we speak and write in, because they contain words than can potentially be used to make my stupid pussy ass feel sad.

Next, let's ban facial expressions, because sometimes people make not-nice faces at other people. No faces allowed, please.

Let's also disable upvoting, because if someone sees that their review wasn't upvoted as much as other reviews, they will surely spend the rest of their life crying into their pillow every night. Upvoting can be abused. People could upvote reviews for the wrong reasons.

Also, let's go ahead and get rid of the forums, because there's no garauntee that everything everyone says will make me smile and feel like a special boy.

Hypersensitive feelings > Freedom of expression
Aug 22, 2013 5:52 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Aggra-Dearheart said:
I agree.

Also, let's revamp the languages we speak and write in, because they contain words than can potentially be used to make my stupid pussy ass feel sad.

Next, let's ban facial expressions, because sometimes people make not-nice faces at other people. No faces allowed, please.

Let's also disable upvoting, because if someone sees that their review wasn't upvoted as much as other reviews, they will surely spend the rest of their life crying into their pillow every night. Upvoting can be abused. People could upvote reviews for the wrong reasons.

Also, let's go ahead and get rid of the forums, because there's no garauntee that everything everyone says will make me smile and feel like a special boy.

Hypersensitive feelings > Freedom of expression
We aren't trying to deny freedom of expression, just the expressions that hardly have any context or logic in argumentative writing and is just played for laughs or blind anger.
Aug 22, 2013 5:58 PM

Dec 2009
DrGonzo7 said:
We aren't trying to deny freedom of expression

Yes, you are. You are trying to limit the input one can give. You are trying to directly reduce one's ability to express one's self.

What you said is disagreeable to me. I find it illogical. Please disable DrGonzo7's ability to post. Thank you. (It's not about denying anyone the ability to post, it's about keeping you from posting because your posting doesn't suit me. I'm sure you understand and support this.)
Aug 22, 2013 6:14 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Aggra-Dearheart said:
DrGonzo7 said:
We aren't trying to deny freedom of expression

Yes, you are. You are trying to limit the input one can give. You are trying to directly reduce one's ability to express one's self.

What you said is disagreeable to me. I find it illogical. Please disable DrGonzo7's ability to post. Thank you. (It's not about denying anyone the ability to post, it's about keeping you from posting because your posting doesn't suit me. I'm sure you understand and support this.)
I'm not saying all feedback should be positive. I'm fine with people who disagree with me, as long as they have a good basis for their argument and not one that's purely on emotion. When did I ever said I want to limit input?
Aug 23, 2013 11:04 AM

Dec 2009
'Freedom of expression' certainly makes it sound a bit broad. 'Freedom of expression' when it comes to feedback on reviews, of course.

SubPyroFlow said:
The main idea is to disable the option to Down-vote (Not Helpful) reviews.

That eliminates 50% of the input one can give on the matter. It couldn't be any more plain.

And your reasoning is incredibly flimsy. For example:
SubPyroFlow said:
At the moment, your review has a lot of chance of being down-voted if you are not known around

Because one might not be 'popular' or something? Are you sure you're not just reaching for excuses for your own reviews? (Actually, upon seeing that all their Helpful/Not Helpful ratings seem to be below 50%, it looks a lot like that).

'Eliminate half of what people can say about my writing. Because it's not faaiiir. Surely it's them and not me'. This is what the OP comes down to. Nothing better.

SubPyroFlow said:
We won't be able to say how a specific review was judged by percentage

Then just do away with rating them at all, because this completely eliminates the context of a rating anyway. '3 people found this helpful'. Great. 3 people out of 4, because it was a decent review? 3 people out of 266 because it was irrelevant nonsense?

SubPyroFlow said:
That kind of posts will not be wanted nor tolerated on this thread.

Actually laughed.
Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Nov 2012
Buut hurt thread, bad idea not signed.

It's aint facebook, fb sucks. This system will hurt new reviewers, I would prefer good old star system over it (I hate you youtube for removing it) or just able to comment reviews.
KrunchyAug 23, 2013 1:24 PM
Aug 23, 2013 1:22 PM
Dec 2012
Krunchy said:
Buut hurt thread, bad idea not signed.

It's aint facebook, fb sucks. This system will hurt new reviewers, I would prefer good old star system over it (I hate you youtube for removing it).

I agree.
Aug 23, 2013 1:27 PM

Feb 2012
DmonHiro said:
However, there is a set of rules and guidelines now and mods do delete reviews that don't meet them.

I like this idea since most reviews, even the good ones, get less than half of their votes as positive and so many people downvote as soon as they see a score that they disagree with.
Aug 23, 2013 11:42 PM

Dec 2009
SubPyroFlow said:
QQ

Jeeesus Christ. I was deliberately being reserved (I even went back and edited parts out), and you still practically broke into tears. Just...really, you need to fucking buck up. Text on an anime site about other text on an anime site should not wreck your shit this badly. You might have a genuine emotional problem, and I mean that in earnest, not as an insult.

But yes, I 'heard', I 'listened'. You say I didn't because I didn't fall in line and agree with you.
Upvotes-over-time would still be useless because it still provides no good context. If every page and review recieved the same amount of traffic/views, at least a meaningful estimation could be made. As traffic and views naturally vary wildly, one can not be made. 4 upvotes over the past year. Cool. Did 4, 400, or 4000 people read it? It still tells nothing.

Showing total views by unique users alongside the number of upvotes would provide the missing context. Pretty sure I didn't overlook you saying that. Still though, it's a solution to a problem that you only assume exists without good reason, and it would still be fuck-with-able in the ways I just described.

There's no reason to assume it's abused in the first place. You have decided what everyone's motivations are when you have no way of knowing. You have decided that everyone is lying because their behavior does not conform to your expectations. You want to think it's abused. Based on the feedback you've gotten, you've decided that everyone must be a horde of monsters out to get everyone else, because of course, the reason for their feedback couldn't possibly lie with you. (Dear Ebert and Roeper: My movies are very good. Your articles do not say so, so they are clearly malicious and not your actual opinions. Refrain. Sincerely, Michael Bay) You're trying to needlessly and ineffectually revamp the whole thing instead of even considering the possibility that maybe your writing isn't as good as you'd like to think.

You still want upvotes? There's just as much reason to assume that people upvote bad reviews. If your imaginary horde of omg~trollvoters! can't downvote good reviews, they'll upvote bad reviews instead. What are you going to do when I mash out "DURARARA SUK A DIK" and it stays for years because it has 40 upvotes and has therefor been decided by the community to be useful and worthwhile?
And what's to say these imaginary meanies wouldn't refrain from upvoting based on...e-popularity or whatever?

One user's psychological inability to handle anything but praise and head-pats (and thus reality / other sapient beings / human existence) does not mean anything is going to be changed. It's not going to. And really, my only motivation here is something to do, not pursuing a point I genuinely care about, so it's ok if saying anything more to me would overwhelm you again. You don't need to.

This part, though:
SubPyroFlow said:
As I check your Profile Page, I see that you are just an ordinary troll, ranter and flamer.

is just precious. Feel free to explain that to me out-of-thread, because I don't do these here. If I did, how would I have an account that's lasted for four years? You did not see even a single instance of these things from me.

E: lmaoijustseriouslytypedoutthismuchaboutthisbullshit?myliiife
Aug 24, 2013 1:14 AM

Nov 2012
I was going to post something about ur uvvt which has a lot of holes but I will pass cuz I checked ur reviews.

You dont follow review guidelines, mainly this:
Don't include story summaries, users already have the synopsis written for them.
Please read reviews guidelines before creating review.

I would say they are "honest" voted right now.
Aug 24, 2013 1:23 AM

Jul 2013
We won't need complicated changes, there will still be trolls around then.
Aug 24, 2013 3:19 AM

Dec 2009
I call for restriction of the ability of the userbase to communicate with each other, because sometimes opinions disagree with mine so clearly they are actively malicious and false and need to be suppressed.

If you do not submit to my desires then obviously you are a bad person who only wants to ruin things and improve nothing.

Thanks!~
Aug 24, 2013 3:58 AM

Nov 2012
Listen to the economist
Up-Vote vs time need larger amount of users. It wont work like u think with current amount of users.

While most popular reviews has less than 1000 votes and avarage is about 200-400 what gives us 1-2 votes per day and 10~ per week it will be easy to hype one review by hipster kid with group of friends.
So it wont remove trolls, there is always way to troll.

b) it's too complex so noone will bother to introduce this
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Private Interest Stacks

GoodbyeNosta1gia - Yesterday

0 by GoodbyeNosta1gia »»
Yesterday, 2:24 PM

» Tbr List Suggestion

quartz_goblin - Yesterday

0 by quartz_goblin »»
Yesterday, 10:04 AM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

14 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 23, 7:15 AM

» is it possible to add a like/heart feature for those who prefer not to rate things?

FruitPunchBaka - May 23

0 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 23, 5:33 AM

» Cap the maximum YT embeds / Don't preload YouTube embeds in spoiler blocks

Daviljoe193 - May 21

5 by xLoop »»
May 22, 8:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.