Forum Settings
Forums

Cap the maximum YT embeds / Don't preload YouTube embeds in spoiler blocks

New
May 21, 3:51 PM

Dec 2021
If you don't know what I mean, go to this thread, specifically this post. Not to call out the poster, but despite all the YouTube embeds being within a spoiler block, they all preload anyway, which brings the tab to a complete halt. They shouldn't be preloaded all at once, and instead after the spoiler they're inside has been unhidden. It's already common courtesy for a user to hide away a bunch of embeds within a spoiler block, so why should those hidden embeds still be allowed to hog up page load time? I started typing this with that previously mentioned thread freshly opened, and it's STILL loading because of all the embeds.

EDIT: Retimed it, eleven(!) minutes, and it's still loading. I'm surprised it hasn't timed out by now. Even worse, it crashed part of the browser...

Maybe there should be a hard cap of two YouTube embeds per post instead? Because the site freezing for eleven minutes then having several elements crash isn't a particularly good end-user experience, especially if all it'd take to solve it is to limit the amount of embeds per-post to either 1 or 2.

What I guess I'm saying is "Is it just okay to be able to ruin a thread by posting 74 embeds, crashing the browsers of anybody who navigates there?", and if not, then why not cap the amount of YouTube embeds to prevent this obvious exploit that, in this case, somebody literally didn't know would result in this?
Daviljoe193May 21, 8:01 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 21, 4:19 PM

Dec 2019
that can be fixed with user scripts
May 21, 4:23 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to hacker09
that can be fixed with user scripts
@hacker09 Shouldn't need to be, though. This breaks the app too, this thread resulting in all (except for five of) the embeds failing to load entirely. Especially capping the amount of embeds people should be able to use. Like 74 embeds??? Yes I counted. How is THAT allowed, but not a single image above 2048x2048? This just brings any browser to its knees.
Daviljoe193May 21, 4:31 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 21, 8:13 PM

Mar 2008
That wont do anything. YouTube vids in spoilers load still while in the spoilers. Spoilers havent stopped vids from loading since Flash embeds were used but this stopped being the case once the html5 embeds were used. Ive already suggested before that when quoting (which is now stupidly replying) that it should switch embeds back into links again in there to prevent redundencies but nothing was done and ive already previously suggested they find a way to make spoilers stop the embeds from loading till opened but no changes made.

It isnt really the site causing them not to load I think, it is your RAM causing this to happen I think since i ran into problems of freezing on low RAM devices the most. Also make sure your browser is updated, many browsers get memory leak problems which causes them to crash.
traedMay 21, 8:18 PM
May 21, 8:27 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to traed
That wont do anything. YouTube vids in spoilers load still while in the spoilers. Spoilers havent stopped vids from loading since Flash embeds were used but this stopped being the case once the html5 embeds were used. Ive already suggested before that when quoting (which is now stupidly replying) that it should switch embeds back into links again in there to prevent redundencies but nothing was done and ive already previously suggested they find a way to make spoilers stop the embeds from loading till opened but no changes made.

It isnt really the site causing them not to load I think, it is your RAM causing this to happen I think since i ran into problems of freezing on low RAM devices the most. Also make sure your browser is updated, many browsers get memory leak problems which causes them to crash.
@traed Latest version of Brave, 32 GB of ram with plenty free, Core i5... yeah, there's not much else I can do here. And I doubt that every MAL user even has the specs I do, so that thread is pretty dead for a lot of people now, if it takes 11 minutes of waiting for the page to finish "loading" just to have 94%~ of the video embeds crash on my system.
May 22, 8:31 AM

Aug 2018
Loads within 10 seconds for me on my laptop - using Firefox with ublock origin, 16 GB Ram and a few years old 8 core Ryzen 7 cpu.
You're probably CPU limited or have a slow network because 11 mins is way too long. Try using a different browser to see if you get better results.

That said, you're correct that this is an issue. CPU and memory usage spikes when I open that thread, a bad actor could exploit this, for example posting a bunch of embeds on a person's profile comments.
<Insert clever quote>

More topics from this board

» Change favorite pictures

Tsunamii_ - May 18, 2023

8 by Brunilde »»
6 hours ago

» The "related entries" redesign is atrocious

FurMetarArkemist - Jun 4

5 by gokushawn »»
Today, 1:42 AM

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

21 by Zarillion »»
Yesterday, 8:32 PM

» Can add an option to show english titles for shows/manga on mobile MAL

SlyyGhee - Yesterday

1 by SlyyGhee »»
Yesterday, 6:00 PM

» Get rid of the "What did you think of this episode?" Pop up

bpaw13 - Yesterday

2 by SuperAdventure »»
Yesterday, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.