Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2013 9:57 AM
Jun 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Are you serious? I mean, I'm sorry, I absolutely adored this manga. But I despised the ending. Ending at the start of a new adventure? It didn't feel like a true ending that this manga is worthy of. :(
Jul 11, 2013 8:06 AM

Feb 2009
Same here. What a dissapointment.

It was a great ride and adult Natsume is awesome and all, but it doesn't make up for how... Lazy this ending is.

Hopefully there are more chapters on the way.
Jul 22, 2013 8:36 PM

Mar 2013
Me as well. The last chapter was a real disappointment to such a great manga.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jul 29, 2013 8:43 PM
May 2012
I wish the english translation was out because I sort of looked at the manga while reading a wiki page saying what was happening, but I am so amazed/annoyed that mangas can last so long. I feel like mangas are really drawn out and maybe that is why the ending is like this, or maybe/hopefully it is so the creator can make a sequel series?
Oct 27, 2013 12:22 PM
Oct 2013
:O I was wondering why it was saying there were 180 Chapters when I`m only able to see 178!!! I forgot the english versions are slower to release!!! I'm sensing that the ending wasn't good? :( That sucks because I just read Chapter 178 and loved it
Oct 29, 2013 5:38 AM
Apr 2010
I just can't believe it ended like that after 6 years... The ending was terrible related to the manga :( I don't even know what to say.
Nov 4, 2013 4:39 AM

Feb 2013
TokyoCrazyPXD said:
:O I was wondering why it was saying there were 180 Chapters when I`m only able to see 178!!! I forgot the english versions are slower to release!!! I'm sensing that the ending wasn't good? :( That sucks because I just read Chapter 178 and loved it

we have the same fate, i just hoping that there will be an awesome ending when we are able to see adult Natsume in chapter 178, but i feel down after i read all of the comments in here.. :(
is it that bad?
Nov 18, 2013 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
Has anyone found an English translation of the last two chapters???
I've been looking for weeks and can't find it :(
I could just read all your comments and know what happens but I am being good and waiting... very patiently... =_____=
Dec 2, 2013 4:14 PM

Mar 2013
Yozora_Hikari said:
TokyoCrazyPXD said:

we have the same fate, i just hoping that there will be an awesome ending when we are able to see adult Natsume in chapter 178, but i feel down after i read all of the comments in here.. :(
is it that bad?

Yeah. It was. The last chapter left us hanging in a lot of things.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Feb 20, 2014 11:23 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Man, it's always difficult to end long running manga like this one ;_; The whole last arc's storytelling could've been a little better, though I still highly enjoyed it. The ending was satisfactory, but nothing amazing to end such a fun/agonizing ride. I kind of want a sequel but that's not going to happen (probably) since I felt like the last chapters/the end of the arc was slightly rushed. It's been 5 years since I started reading this, so it's sad that I finally finished reading it. Was a quarter of childhood.
Mar 25, 2014 9:15 AM

Sep 2007
I can't understand how the hell did they end it just like that. It was another adventure dammit. I am so angry because I loved this series and the end just ruined everything. I wouldn't mind it being published for years as long as the end will be decent. Heck I don't even mind having "1million years later" stuff, they just need to give us an ending.

Sorry for this rant I had to let this out. It was a rough day and I thought I'll be happy because I finally saw a scanlated chapter 180 but all I got was this.
Mar 25, 2014 1:34 PM

Aug 2013
I wish if there was a sequel but the series over all was amazing I can't rate it less than 10 :|
The manga should start sequel seriously and she didn't start any work yet !!
Over all 10/10 Had a lot of feelings when I read these 2 years :"|

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Mar 30, 2014 11:11 PM

Dec 2011
Up until the last three chapters everything was great and emotional and SO heart-wrenching I felt like punching a wall instead of bawling my eyes out at what was happening to these characters. Now the last chapter was finally translated and... it was unsatisfying. Gakuen Alice pulled a CLAMP. The fanbook I guess shows the "happy ending" they all get, but there's still that HUGE unanswered question. How the hell do they manage to get the Imai siblings back? Y'know, considering they're lost in time/space and their existence was practically eradicated from everyone's mind... the phrase "does the end justify the means" comes to mind. I think we're all much more interested in the HOW rather than "oh look they eventually get them back someday okay." It was so rushed, and seeing every character there at the end felt too... sugar-coated? The cherry on top that no one really wants? This was a great manga with a wonderful cast, I just wish there had been something more to the conclusion. ;(
Apr 3, 2014 6:21 PM

Jun 2011
wingling said:
Up until the last three chapters everything was great and emotional and SO heart-wrenching. The fanbook I guess shows the "happy ending" they all get, but there's still that HUGE unanswered question: How the hell do they manage to get the Imai siblings back? Y'know, considering they're lost in time/space and their existence was practically eradicated from everyone's mind.

I pretty much agree with wingling, but specifically these parts ^ (except for the fanbook bit, I need to check that out.)

The whole ending was nice and all, it just didn't wrap it up for me without Hotaru being there. After all our main group has been through she's not even there. And there wasn't enough MikanxNatsume to justify their seeking each other out for so long... it just didn't make sense to me how a lot of the essentials were ignored. I was missing that "where do things go from here?" too. The journey was definitely the most worthwhile part of this manga.
Apr 26, 2014 8:08 AM
Jun 2012
Gakuen Alice is one of my first manga and my favorite shoujo manga but the ending was a huge disappointment. It felt rushed and I just... want a sequel where they save Hotaru and Subaru or something because its just unsatisfying :i

plus i really didnt like the art of the last few chapters tbh
Jun 15, 2014 8:07 AM

May 2010
i think its has a great ending, reading it feels like all of them are my friend that i havent seen again in a long time but its true that, that ending is slightly short compare to the quality of the story, its a little bit open ending and no exact romance :( want to se a happy reunion and a true love xD
Jun 24, 2014 1:06 AM

Jun 2008
There HAS to be a sequel right?? Ending on that kind of note is just.... funny, but I am satisfied too. I was expecting Natsume to look, well, hotter. :O

Anyway, this is a very good shoujo!! Glad I could see a well-written conclusion for my favorite anime when I was a child; it didn't feel rushed to me in the least.
HEY!
Jul 1, 2014 3:51 PM
Oct 2008
I don't necessarily hate the ending, but I expected more after the major feels. I do want a sequel that will never happen since I want to know more about happened with the Imai siblings and the Alice Hunters. The author concluded the main story really quickly and just leaves you with more unanswered questions.
Jul 5, 2014 1:21 AM

May 2008
Lazy me finally caught up with the series.

The only thing missing from that ending was Hotaru (and her bro I guess). Without her, it doesn't feel like a true "end." I don't agree with the author's decision to leave Hotaru's fate open-ended like that--not to mention the whole situation surrounding that is confusing as heck anyway. I have not heard of this fan book, so I cannot speak for that. I am glad, though, that Mikan did unite with everyone, even with the convenient plot device--I mean Alice stone-- because Mikan's been through enough, I wanted her to be happy.

Author is either thinking about making a short sequel, or leaving it up to the readers to continue/imagine a real ending. If it's 1, then hurry up or else I will die :( and if 2, then that's kind of lazy.
Jul 6, 2014 10:46 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, what an ending there. Some of the last few chapters hits the feels at its core. I'm glad for a happy ending though. Damn now that I think about it, I realized how much the anime skipped when I watched it a few years ago..

7/10. Really liked some of the arcs. Damn ESP though.
Sep 16, 2014 4:43 AM

Nov 2008
Loved this manga, but when Mikan lost her Alice that's when I couldn't bear it anymore.
Oct 2, 2014 4:12 AM
Aug 2013
last few chapters were really heartbreaking, i was almost crying.
i am glad that natsume and mikan united in the end still i am not at all satisfied with what they did to hotrau..... she is the reason mikan came there or met natsume and was equally important in mikan's life. we don't even know for sure whether she is dead or if she will ever meet mikan again and this is absolutely not done
Nov 14, 2014 8:44 PM

Jul 2012
Annnnnnnnd I'm done. I actually read chapters 1-170 a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy right now. This was one of those series where I expected it to be a kiddy magic shoujo series from the start but it was actually something much more complex and interesting. The use of magic and powers was excellent. The characters were great. I loved the backstories of Mikan's parents and such.

A few negatives... Pacing was so off near the end. I even put it on-hold for the longest time. It had 20 chapters of pure drama. Too much. Art was also one of the weakest spots. The faces and clothing are cute but the anatomy always bugged me.
Feb 9, 2015 7:44 PM
Jul 2013
I wished they could make an new adventure or story for gakuen alice... For finding hotaru... I think this new adventure would turn out good because even if it's the same character it's a new story but sadly they won't...
May 26, 2015 6:56 PM
May 2015
i know it ended up years ago..but honestly, since, it came out in the television in abs.cbn and i was able to view few of the episodes and not able to finished it because im studying..it took me years to find it...

but the ending is well, satisfactory but something is lacking..mikan and natsume's love story has not blossom yet..and they need to find the imai siblings...

A NEW ADVENTURE MUST START AGAIN PLEASSSSSE.. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Jul 19, 2015 5:07 AM
Jul 2015
I really wish Gakuen Alice would have a season 2~T_T~
Aug 26, 2015 7:43 PM
Aug 2015
I actually really enjoyed the ending. Yes, it sucked the way it ended, but I'm truly hoping this means there will be more....even if there isn't.
I do feel as though it was a lazy ending and the writer 'got over it' and just wanted to end it. There was literally no closure for Hotaru/Mikan, but Natsume as an adult was B E A U T I F U L.
Oct 2, 2015 12:01 AM
Nov 2008
I agree that the ending was not good enough for the manga. It would be perfect if there was a continuation series, but otherwise it really just left you feeling unsatisfied even though it was pretty much a happy ending. It just felt like an ending to an arc more than a series. Like it was a promise for another story, except we aren't getting one so it just becomes disappointing. Overall the series was great though
Jan 17, 2016 3:39 AM

Jun 2015
Natsume suppose to be same age as mikan, right? But he seems like 20-something. (- -')

Well, in tankoubon version there are some pictures that explain what happen years later. Hotaru became soooo beautiful (that reminds me, why she kiss Mikan... not yuri, right?). Tsubasa and Misaki get married, neko-girl and mind reader became couple, mikan co. reunited with hotaru siblings, aaaaand Natsume-Mikan in wedding mode.

Awww. I wish there are some omake about characters in their future.
Apr 19, 2016 5:33 AM

May 2007
Wtf was that ending, I'm so sad it was over like that, I really hope she will write a real ending, like a short of a few last chapters, in my imagination, I would say that she probably found Hotaru, they finished the academy together and Mikan married Natsume and they live in a big farm house! And their neighbors is Luca (which I named a cat I found with a friend after) and he's also married to someone he likes even more than he liked Mikan (Maybe Hotaru??) and they lived happily ever after!!! This is my ending goodbye.

Jul 13, 2016 9:02 AM

Jun 2008
Great series from the beginning to the end albeit can be slow paced at times. I recalled the first time i read the mikan parent's arc, i bawled my eyes out. I had lot of fun laughing while reading the series. But that ending was so rushed and awkward especially the reunion between natsume and mikan which didn't feel as passionate and natural as the scenes before then. The absence of hotaru and her brother just doesn't seem right :( I will never know what will happen afterward. I need more chapters T.T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2016 3:21 AM
Jan 2016
Just finished the manga. Anyway, I bawled my eyes towards the end. The ending was ok despite what people said (it didn't felt rushed and it's ok where it's left at). When I finish reading, I was like "What? It finished?" Anyway, the mangaka created so many heartwrenching moments towards the end of the series. I cried bucket of tears. Anyway... Thank of you, Higuchi Tachibana. Though sometimes the characters act stupidly which killed me.
Aug 29, 2016 12:50 AM
Apr 2016
I dropped this manga around chapter 100 back in 2009. The reason was the fact the genre and art changed so suddenly.

I tried reading this manga again recently. The first chapters are always funny and adorable, but starting the drama arcs, it stopped being exciting. I couldn't sympathize with it. Statutory rape law must not be enforced in Japan if the author is shipping teachers with elementary kids. I skimmed through the remaining chapters until the ending so I don't understand everything that is happening but...

Did Natsume, Ruka, Tsubasa and even Narumi-sensei have to be buffed up?

I mean was this really necessary? What did Narumi-sensei eat to broaden his shoulder blades like this?

It's really... unpleasant to look at. If I'm right, Natsume and Ruka should only be 16 but they have bodies of idk.

And after all these years, why is Natsume still sexually harassing Mikan? You'd think he'd mature one way or another.
Nov 5, 2016 1:54 PM

Feb 2009
Only finished manga now. Kind rushed ending, missed Hotaru.

I actually felt that this manga failed at developing most of its characters to the end. I mean, I still don't understand what Ruka's purpose in the story was othan than being a second love interest for Mikan but...alright.

It was a (mostly) happy ending so I'm good. All of the guys look very cool after the time skip. Mikan seems more or less the same for me. I wanted to see more of Nobara, she's an important character at the middle of the story and then in the end she was just cast aside, just like Hotaru...

But, very nice manga overall. Really a classic. 9/10
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Jan 4, 2017 9:33 PM
Apr 2016
I realized how some people are so disappointed about the ending but Tachibana sensei made a different manga about the future. They do find the Imai siblings but they can't take them back because they broke the time travel rule so they keep on time traveling. Tsubasa and Misaki do marry. Natsume and Mikan do marry (sadly no kids and Natsume dies (;_;) because of his Alice type) so Mikan then marries Ruka and they have two kids. Luna is also taking care of the elementary principal who is now a baby. Apparently Tachibana sensei wanted to satisfy both ships so she made it like that.
Mar 3, 2017 4:32 AM

Nov 2009
Everyone dont worry , just look at the epilogue photos If you look at them they had a clear ending , Natsume and Mikan got married ^^

Check this epilogue photo:
https://40.media.tumblr.com/dd9b8cc555dfc3052d9aef5fdaefa695/tumblr_mw8kavBTap1sf68zho1_500.jpg

And read this :
http://fangposts.tumblr.com/post/69015250530/translations-of-epilogue-photos

You will understand everything ^^
Jan 15, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 2014
garbage ending to a garbage manga.. 1/10

worst part was a 40 chapter flashback arc only to kill off that character 10 chapters later..
Mar 12, 2018 7:46 PM

Jan 2014
Alara_usagi said:
Everyone dont worry , just look at the epilogue photos If you look at them they had a clear ending , Natsume and Mikan got married ^^

https://40.media.tumblr.com/dd9b8cc555dfc3052d9aef5fdaefa695/tumblr_mw8kavBTap1sf68zho1_500.jpg

And read this :

@Alara_usagi, thank you so much for the links!!
May 19, 2020 4:04 PM

Nov 2014
Hi everyone!
Does anyone know, why its said that the manga has 183 chapters and 31 volumes?
I read the manga and at the time the story ended at 180 chapter.
Did they release something new?

Another question, I read at wikipedia that after the end of manga the author realised some omake of the main caratheres. But I can't fond them anywhere.

Thank you for the help! :)
May 23, 2020 2:10 PM

Nov 2014
Alara_usagi said:

And read this :

Hello!!
Do you know why its said that the manga has 183 chapters?
I read the manga and the story ended at 180 chapter. Why in details of the page changed to 183?

I read at wikipedia that after the end of manga the author realised some omake of the main caratheres. But I can't fond them anywhere.

Are the omake, this photos?

Thank you for the help!! :)
May 28, 2020 7:19 AM

Nov 2009
Maggie95 said:
Alara_usagi said:

And read this :

Hello!!
I read the manga and the story ended at 180 chapter. Why in details of the page changed to 183?

I read at wikipedia that after the end of manga the author realised some omake of the main caratheres. But I can't fond them anywhere.

Sorry I dont know about it too but probably those omakes counted at 3 chapters but I couldnt find them too, I guess they didnt drop at internet yet
May 28, 2020 11:43 AM

Feb 2019
My most favorite manga, I finished this when I was in high school so around 5-6 years ago... I was really disappointed as fvck with the ending. 😭

I'm currently rewatching the anime and when I finish it, I plan to reread the manga again. 10/10 manga but 3/10 ending ;--; ugh..
owkey
May 29, 2020 3:50 AM

Nov 2014
Alara_usagi said:
Maggie95 said:

Hello!!

Sorry I dont know about it too but probably those omakes counted at 3 chapters but I couldnt find them too, I guess they didnt drop at internet yet

Probably you're right! ! I really wanted to read them :(
Anyway, thank you so much for the help! Sorry for being such a bother ^^'
Jun 8, 2020 2:53 PM

Dec 2019
Where's the last couple of chapters???
Jul 13, 2020 10:38 AM

Dec 2012
i lol'ed at mikan guardian's reaction to tono..try to messed up with mikan and youll end up with a horrible life..

it was good ending,,i dont think it was neccesary to tell about everyhing..
the point is they are in a way to save hotaru..

but im more sad after saw the epilogue image..
it was a bittersweet ending for hotaru and mikan..
and my interpretation for epilogue image was that something happened to natsume in the future,, and mikan and ruka got married after
Jan 8, 2021 1:25 PM
Jul 2020
after all that..... it’s like my tears were building up and i was ready to shed them on the last page but..... my tears didn’t fall whatsoever. i wish we had a better ending. however, i’m so grateful for the story as a whole, and i luv how she reunited with almost everyone. i’m about 8 years late in finishing this manga, but i see ppl in this forum talking about the fan book where there is a happy ending for all the characters. where is this? i cant find it anywhere in english translation. someone link it pls? bc i just want to be satisfied in whichever way possible. i’m sad that such a gr8 manga ended, but the ending just left more for anticipation that unfortunately will never be able to be fulfilled (for me personally). until i see more material, long live imai siblings 🥺
Jan 9, 2021 10:02 AM

Nov 2014
One of the best manga I ever read! It changed my life so much! I'm truly grateful to have read this before I choose what to do with my life! Once more I read all the 180 chapters! I think it's the 6th time! But I don't get tired and the tears keep falling every time I read!

I even made an article to express my feelings, take a look if have time! ;)

https://ecleticheart.wixsite.com/reviews/post/gakuen-alice
Jun 10, 2021 8:13 PM
Jun 2021
I wish there will be a next Adventures in Gukuen Alice. Natsume, Luca Nogi, Sakura Mikan, Nodachii Senpai, will find hotaru Imai and Her Brother Subaranu Imai. In the next adventuree. I will waittt for the next scene.
Aug 28, 2021 6:47 PM
Jun 2021
What's wrong in the end, it's the disappointment this manga deserve.
We want a special chapter or a supplemental manga We have a lot of questions
Will Mikan and Natsume get married? Hotaru's place? Luca's end? The idea of ​​the manga ending with another adventure is just making me sad, I hope we have another sequel to this great manga
Apr 24, 2022 1:15 AM

Feb 2009
I regret reading this. I regret ever getting attached. ESPECIALLY after seeing that insulting Ruka/Mikan epilogue image above... the fuck?

1. The reunion between Natsume and Mikan was a total joke. One page? No focus whatsoever after that? How long were we building up to this? How much were we stressing they're a "fated" pair? Horrible.
2. Despite Natsume and Mikan having good chemistry, I also don't think the author did a great job at developing their relationship. Just as they're starting to get along more, they basically stop interacting for most of the story. They barely have scenes together in the 2nd half bc we're either in flashback land or they're separated for some reason. It's telling that they kept flashing back to their balcony scene cuz that's the only freaking scene where they actually get to talk in the entire second half of the manga.
3. No closure whatsoever with this ending. Ending on another adventure?
4. We did NOT need the entire cast there at the end. Author was trying to please too many people. imo it should have just been Natsume and Mikan after all the build-up...
5. We also didn't need to drag out Mikan leaving the school for god knows how many chapters. The pacing really felt off.
6. Again, what was with inserting Ruka back into the love triangle after taking him out a long time ago? Stupid.
7. This manga really started falling off with the flashback arc imo. What made it strong were the character interactions between the main cast. We lost that for the remainder of the manga because of character separations & flashbacks.
8. The creepy as hell age gap relationships. Mikan's dad was a predator, sorry. He was TWENTY TWO when he met that girl at age 10, and it doesn't get any better when he's 27 and she's 15 and he bangs her. This also tainted the flashback arc horribly for me. Then Nobara and Persona!?

I'm pissed I wasted time on this manga, and I'm pissed that I liked it enough to feel so hurt that it ended so terribly.
DropletApr 24, 2022 1:23 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakuen Alice Chapter 43 Discussion

orangehouse - Sep 15, 2009

3 by Ice-Cube »»
Jul 23, 2023 4:07 PM

» Anime reboot?

tsunaomi - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Lucifrost »»
Jun 25, 2023 7:35 PM

Poll: » Gakuen Alice Chapter 72 Discussion

orangehouse - Sep 15, 2009

3 by Lukenzo »»
Sep 30, 2022 7:39 PM

Poll: » Gakuen Alice Chapter 2 Discussion

t_tomodachi22 - Jun 14, 2019

1 by Lukenzo »»
May 20, 2022 6:59 PM

Poll: » Gakuen Alice Chapter 137 Discussion

Kojiro_S - Oct 9, 2010

6 by Droplet »»
Apr 23, 2022 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.