Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 15, 2009 5:19 PM

May 2008
Anime is Japanese Made, and is animation.

Cartoon is animation, but is not necessarily anime.

Consider it like this - an apple is a fruit, but not all fruits are apples.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Jan 15, 2009 5:55 PM

Oct 2008
georgi said:
Anime is Japanese Made, and is animation.

Cartoon is animation, but is not necessarily anime.

Consider it like this - an apple is a fruit, but not all fruits are apples.

I like this one XD The short and concise way of restating what Dr_Jan_Itor said on page 2 and those are also my view on this.
Jan 27, 2009 8:36 AM

Apr 2008
For me, it's an animation that's made by japanese or I can also accept an animation that adapted the japanese style of animation.

That's my opinion.

Jan 27, 2009 9:00 AM

Jan 2009
well thats true. But i think that the main difference is that Cartoons are generally targeted at children in the west while Anime can be watched by people across a wide spectrum of ages and cultures. It has something to to with the mindset in both the west and east, i suppose.

most popular example: Avatar~ While animation atyle etc. remain much the same as japanese anime, it is actually adapted for the western audience, with various facial expressions etc. one would normally find in "Anime" not there, "western style" jokes, puns, "attacks" etc..(on another note, the eyes aren't as big as most anime either^^)
Well it just feels too westernised for me, so yes, i'd consider avatar a cartoon.

Bascially, yes, to me, the reason why i don't consider many animation collaborations with western companies by japanese companies Anime is because they do not have the basic "Anime" feel, instead adapted for western tastes, thus giving it a western "hollywood" feel, if you can call it that.^^
Jan 28, 2009 7:40 AM

Oct 2007
So you think that titles like Big O II and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust are not anime? Besides, some of the newer shows are being animated in places like Korea. Does that make them not anime then?

To me I use anime as something based off of animation from Japan. However, I don't discredit shows here being called anime or shows there being called cartoons. I remember in Fruits Basket where Uo was comparing Kyo and Yuki to the american "anime" something and Jerry, refering to Tom and Jerry. It's better than what my mom would call them "funny eyed people."

So I guess it's the context of how anime is being used. If it's the Japanese definition then everything is anime. If it's the worlwide definition then it's animation primarily in Japan.

I wonder though does Manga have the same problem? I see manga as comic interchangibly without any problem.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Jan 28, 2009 4:43 PM

Jan 2009
from my point of view, if it's a cartoon made in Japan it's an Anime. No I dont consider the Korean stuff Anime. you are free to disagree with me :)
Jan 28, 2009 4:59 PM

Oct 2008
Japan animation= anime

American animation= cartoon
Jan 29, 2009 9:47 AM

Nov 2007
How would you consider characters that were in computer games first, like Final Fantasy VII? I suppose with Advent Children, they could be anime characters now.
Jan 29, 2009 11:10 AM

Aug 2007
People shouldn't be surprised by this. Definition by origin isn't just limited to anime. Did you know that it's not considered champagne unless it's from France? Otherwise it's referred to as sparkling wine. Like champagne, anime has its own history that differs from cartoons. It is an insult to lump them into the same category.
Mar 21, 2009 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
Thread revival!
*bump*
Mar 21, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2008
it's called necromancy and it's nothing to be ashamed of >.>

anime is the japanese word for cartoon.

what the people who use this word refers to are japanese cartoons.

what you think japanese cartoons are can be left completely up to your imagination (in other words, your view on what anime means can be as fked up as u want it to be)

or you can think of it this way - the word of wikipedia is absolute:

Anime is animation in Japan and considered to be "Japanese animation" in the rest of the world.

Mar 22, 2009 2:11 PM

Mar 2009
Anime = Japanese cartoons
Cartoon = Western anime

Even though "anime" means something entirely different in Japanese than English, that doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong.

Also, given how heated arguments about whether or not something is a cartoon/anime can get (not here specifically, but in general), I think some people might be assuming that making the distinction implies some kind of value judgment. It's just a categorization, nothing more. If someone calls Avatar: The Last Airbender a cartoon instead of an anime, it doesn't mean that they don't like it.

Certainly, the distinction is less relevant today as a fair number of western cartoons are being styled after anime, and both cartoons and anime are movie more towards CG.
Mar 22, 2009 2:21 PM
Oct 2008
Made in Japan - Anime
Made in the U.S. - Cartoons
Signature
Oct 22, 2009 6:03 AM

May 2009
There is an ongoing debate of what 'anime' actually means. It's important to the moderators because it will determine whether or not a title should be included in the MAL database.

The moderators are going to exclude a number of the titles already here because it doesn't conform to what 'anime' is to them:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6680/Dojoji_Temple http://myanimelist.net/anime/7255/Hanaori http://myanimelist.net/anime/7170/House_of_Flameshttp://myanimelist.net/anime/7169/Ibara-Hime_mata_wa_Nemuri-Hime
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7259/Kenju_Giga http://myanimelist.net/anime/7257/Shijin_no_Shougai http://myanimelist.net/anime/7171/The_Demon http://myanimelist.net/anime/4966/Self-Portrait http://myanimelist.net/anime/5842/Kotatsu_Neko_ONA

The majority of the titles done in stop motion style and was created by multi-awarded and highly regarded Kihachiro Kawamoto . Kawamoto is Japanese and he had Japanese audience for his work. He is also the President of the Japanese Animation Association. The mods, though are not convinced that this is anime.

So what is anime? Do you agree with the mods' definition?
TsukikageRanOct 23, 2009 7:33 AM
Oct 25, 2009 8:44 PM

Sep 2009
lblsslx said:
saintcross said:
Xenzio said:
Because it's animation made in Japan.

I think it's all complete bullshit.
For me Anime = Anime, which means, everything animated.

Anime, Cartoons, Tekenfilms etc, all mean the same damn thing, so I don't go around and categorize it as "American Cartoons, or Japanese Anime"..

Technically that's true but it's pretty much accepted that the meaning of Anime is "Japanese cartoons". I mean this website doesn't have Avatar or South Park or Aqua Teen Hunger Force etc. Plus do you seriously think of something like Family Guy if someone asks you "Do you watch Anime?"

let me get away from anime/cartoon show..... lets just say a japanese guy acting undefinably crazy... another japanese person can consider him an AHO or BAKA, however, western can't call him an IDIOT? which basically the same..

QUESTION: what is a cartoon?
ANSWER: it's a bunch of drawings put together and made into a show

QUESTION: what is an anime?

i fail to see the differences, therefore, i conclude TO MYSELF that, cartoon and anime own the same meaning using two different terms. therefore it's the same

lblsslx speaks the truth. it doesn't matter wheter you call it Japanese animation, Japanamation, animation, anime, or cartoon. A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Oct 25, 2009 10:28 PM

Aug 2008
sukidayo said:
lblsslx said:

QUESTION: what is a cartoon?

QUESTION: what is an anime?

i fail to see the differences, therefore, i conclude TO MYSELF that, cartoon and anime own the same meaning using two different terms. therefore it's the same

i like this logic. straight and direct. i dont see why it has to be split to different categories when they are just bunch of drawing put together for people to watch. they are basically the same thing just different words. i bet the process of making anime and/or making cartoon are the same.

I can come up with two possible reasons for these distinctions. Both are cultural reasons. Regardless of reason, it's the power of language and terminology tends to stick:

1. American dominance. If you say the word "American", the word "pride" can easily be attached to it. The term "anime" surfaced when it was still an unknown; and American "cartoons" were still the norm. I remember the days of Saturday morning cartoons, for example. For this animation medium to come out of Japan, it was an "un-American" product. Therefore, it had to be separate from anything America produces. For something "unAmerican" to be culturally mixed with "American" seems non-sensical. Ironically, America itself is an amalgamation of many cultures. So go figure.

2. Japanophilia. Historically, there had been a general curiousity with Asian countries, particularly Japan. Of all the Asian countries, it is Japan that tends to emulate the West the most. This is no accident. Japan has the unusual tendency to adopt ideas from foreign lands easily. This explains the quick development of a completely agricultural nation from the 1860's into an industrial powerhouse in the early 20th century. Likewise, there is something about Japanese culture that strikes the curiousity of the West.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 17, 2009 2:20 PM
Aug 2009
This lacks the official idea of a definition, since I'm offering a catalog of titles as a definition. However, in 2008 Helen McCarthy wrote a book, "500 Essential Anime you Must Own", that list might start as touch point for defining the category.
Feb 27, 2014 12:38 PM

Dec 2008
Anime means japanese animation. It doesn't matter how the animation looks (for example, if the characters have big eyes, like in "Avatar: The Last Airbender"), what matter is where the animation came from and who made it (so "Avatar" is not anime because it is made by americans). Therefore, any animation made by japanese, animation that was created in Japan, can be considered anime.
"Teen Titans" is definitely not anime.

Aug 24, 2014 6:18 PM

Mar 2008
Aside from anime being made in Japan, for a Japanese audience, I think the main difference between anime and cartoon is that anime can be targeted to audiences of all ages, while cartoons are specifically for kids. A 30 year old American watching cartoons would be extremely weird, while a 30 year old Nippon-jin watching anime is perfectly normal.

Precure and Highschool DxD are both anime, despite being targeted for radically different audiences.

My Little Pony is a cartoon for kids. Family Guy isn't a cartoon, but it's not anime either.
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Dec 4, 2020 3:37 PM

Jan 2010
Sorry for the necropost, I know the last reply was in 2014. But Kenny Lauderdale on Youtube brought up that topic, and he seem to be correct on his analysis.

I mean beside Star Musketeer Bismark/Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, there's also Lion Voltron/Golion which has 20 episodes made exclusive for the US/American market. The Queen Merla character in Voltron never appeared in the Japanese Golion version.

Queen Merla, a villain in Voltron never appeared in the Japanese original. This character doesn't have a Japanese name or her Japanese seiyu. This character was made for the American market. Oh and the crossover movie, Voltron: Fleet of Doom was never released in Japan at all despite it used mecha from 2 different anime.

So does that mean Voltron/Golion loses it's anime status because of the 20 episodes and one character and Fleet of Doom movie exclusively made for the American market?

Also he's right about Nutcracker Fantasy. If that is considered anime, then what about Rankin-Bass's "Animagic" stop motion work like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin to Town, The year without a Santa Claus. MOM Production, The studio that did Nutcracker Fantasy was also the same studio that did all of Rankin-Bass's stop motion animation work. So that means a lot of Rankin-Bass's "Animagic" stop motion work will have to be re-classified as anime because of that connection. I mean Rankin-Bass's 1985, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus was shown in Japan the same time it was shown in the US, under the name: Santa's Secret and Great Adventure (サンタの秘密と大冒険, lit. Santa no Himitsu to Dai Bōken). Rankin-Bass's The Stingiest Man in Town was done in Japan and animated by Topcraft (which was responsible for doing Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and many of the animators from Topcraft would later joined Studio Ghibli). That special was also shown in Japan under the name 町一番のけちんぼう, Machi Ichiban no Kechinbō

So if Nutcracker Fantasy is classified as anime, along with some Rankin-Bass's stop motion like the Life and Adventure of Santa Claus, and The Stingiest man in town now classified as anime. What about The Last Unicorn (that was also done by Topcraft, and Rankin-Bass), Does that make The Last Unicorn an anime?

So yeah the definition of what is anime get kind of blurred if you watched the video essay from Kenny Lauderdale carefully.
mdo7Jul 17, 2022 3:11 PM
Dec 11, 2020 1:49 PM

Jan 2010
And here's one that'll make you question what is anime? Anybody watch The Idhun Chronicles/Memorias de Idhún on Netflix? The animation looks on par as any Japanese animation. But here's the twist, this animation wasn't done by Japanese and if you look at the original language on Netflix, it's not Japanese, It's Spanish.

See that, as Kenny Lauderdale said, "what is anime" when the animation resemble anime, but not done in Japan.
mdo7Dec 12, 2020 8:17 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Guys check my oil painting of Kimi no Na wa, Tenki no Ko, and Suzume no Tojimari.

mufarari - Jan 20

0 by mufarari »»
Jan 20, 5:14 AM

Sticky: » [ ★ ] Staff Recruitment

Timrots - Sep 25, 2018

1 by removed-user »»
Aug 26, 2021 2:05 AM

Sticky: » [HTWA] Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 )

tigerz - Feb 5, 2009

190 by removed-user »»
Aug 26, 2021 2:01 AM

» Anyone know were i can watch Glass no Kamen (2005)

Max_Hawkins - Aug 25, 2020

0 by Max_Hawkins »»
Aug 25, 2020 7:57 PM

» [GAME] To Watch or Not to Watch? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shoxk - Mar 9, 2009

4369 by -AlexL- »»
Sep 2, 2019 5:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.