Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2013 2:07 AM

Feb 2008
Not surprised by how disappointing this last chapter was, but it's a real shame since the manga in the early years was simply godly. But this last arc, and especially these last 30 or so chapters, was nothing but dragged out stuff that left a rather sour taste on my mouth.
Not sure if I'll keep my 9/10, or drop it to an 8.
Jun 25, 2013 2:11 AM

Jun 2011
gantz used to be my fav manga, now look at what they've done to it !!!!!
what a shitty final arc
Jun 25, 2013 2:11 AM

Jul 2008
This manga was SHIT long long time ago. I use to like up until the aliens from sky started to appear. The arcs before were great and the arc when Kei had to fight without his suit on the match (and won some awesome points) was awesome.

I first find out about this manga on Band of Hawks forum, guys who translated Bersern before and started to follow it but now I wish I skipped it.

Such a waste of time and ending is so rushed....
Jun 25, 2013 2:33 AM

Jun 2008
I felt empty after finishing reading it....... OTL.........Knew it was going to be a rushed ending but still QQ

Final score is 8/10. I sincerely love this series with all my heart despite the rushed ending.
EstherellaJun 25, 2013 2:58 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2013 2:34 AM

Jul 2012
Maaan that was bad. I'm disappointed, but meh what was i expecting from manga with big tits in latex suits.
Jun 25, 2013 2:40 AM

Oct 2012
very disappointing.
Jun 25, 2013 2:53 AM
Jun 2013
So, ending not morbid enough? Or...

I've read several ending suggestions, most of much worse than this. So, what kind of ending would you like? Add some constructive critique, and Voilá! We could even make a fan version ending!
All I say is, it cold have been much worse, and I challange you to try to come up with a "better" ending than Okus. (I'm really glad that Oku didn't try to "expalin" everything like we were 5 years old. Good endings are often short. That leaves the "rest" to the reader to decide what happened.)

P.s. Thank you Oku for your hard work! I've enjoyed your work really much!
Jun 25, 2013 3:00 AM
May 2013
That all? That the end? We all expect a happy ending like this but so many question are unanswerable...
Oku sensei can do better than that, in amv or into anime I think this last chapitre can be very incredible.
This manga is a classic even if the lastest arcs are average, you have to watch it for the atmosphere. I remember how Italie and Nurarihyon was great chapter =)
Jun 25, 2013 4:41 AM
Jul 2009
Man, looks like everyone hated the "Hollywood Michael Bay Happy Ending" lol, I'm not gonna complain, to me that Vampire arc was ridiculous. So what, they saved the world and everyone is happy. Kei is a freaking world hero. At least its not one of those complicated "open ended" or cop-out endings that everybody hates. Yeah I agree it felt rushed and had many holes but at least WE GOT AN ENDING.

Who knows, now that it's officially over, maybe another anime adaptation can be made and they could right the wrongs that many fans say this series had. But c'mon guys, yeah Gantz is all about the gore, misery, and people dying that normally wouldn't but oh well, it could have been worse. Kei lived, he's got his girl, it's over. But yeah, it was one big clusterfuck of a final arc lol
Jun 25, 2013 4:49 AM
Sep 2012
dakotadog said:
Well, that was a huge disappointment.
Here's to the unresolved plot points-

What the hell happened to Nishi?

What was up with the Vampires? Don't even get me started on how much shit was left out with the Vampires.

Also, we never really got a complete reason as to why Sebastian sent the Gantz technology to earth, I know that he said it was to re-establish order on earth, but that seriously wasn't developed upon.

Nishi's return seemed almost pointless in the end and we ended up getting an insulting, sappy, ridiculous ending full of obnoxious plot convenience. Gantz had a lot of really good ideas but the longer and longer the series dragged on, the more of those ideas got dropped by the wayside. Also Tae is a horrible, underdeveloped, mess of a character.

1. Nishi died. That much has already been confirmed. If he didn't die from the Giants ganging up on him, he died from the explosion.

2. The Vampires were seen a chapter or two back, in the same situation as the humans. More than likely they didn't get involved because they deemed it as humanitys war and not their own.

3. Again, God Aliens. If you don't understand why the Gantz tech was sent to Earth at this point...you obviously haven't been paying any attention
"I got a life in my grip, she holding tight to my wrist
She screaming: "Don't let me slip"
She see the tears in my eyes, I see the fear on her lips"
Jun 25, 2013 4:52 AM
Sep 2012
rheum said:
Some dumbass on another forum said:

-----
No closure. No explanations. No resolutions. No hilarious deaths of main characters. It looks like Hollywood's influence took over whatever shred of brains Oku had left.

Rating this series anything lower than a 6, however tempting it may be, would be a disservice to what it once was: a non-apologetic, satirical gorefest. One worthy of reading for the past 4 years.

6/10 - Fine

Uhh...he basically answered most of every question and filled up any plothole. Yall are taking this too damn serious.

If anything you should be taking points off because the ending was just a bit too much on the cliche side.
Jun 25, 2013 5:18 AM
Apr 2011
This manga needs an epilogue chapter.

I'm disappointed with the ending. It doesn't seem clean.
4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42

http://putridcheese.deviantart.com
http://www.booksie.com/tosh/
http://stoptazmo.com/
Jun 25, 2013 5:27 AM
Feb 2012
Meh I expected something a little bit better than this considering it was the finale....well at least I think most the plot holes got tied up at least if I remember right.

Ending was too rushed and cliche but meh, I'll stilll give it a final rating of 7/10 since I have enjoyed the manga and its been a good read during the last 4 years, with disregards to the final arc.

saltncheese said:
This manga needs an epilogue chapter.

Agreed, hopefully we get one.
Jun 25, 2013 6:15 AM

Mar 2008
This was, literally, the worst ending in my entire history of reading manga. What. The. Fuck.
Jun 25, 2013 6:40 AM

Jul 2012
Well no real explanation to things just a normal terrible ending alls to say that was expected would have liked to see some other characters
Jun 25, 2013 6:47 AM

Jun 2013
Still a less rushed ending then Eden No Ori
Jun 25, 2013 7:38 AM
Jun 2010
Edalnas said:

I've read several ending suggestions, most of much worse than this. So, what kind of ending would you like? Add some constructive critique, and Voilá! We could even make a fan version ending!
All I say is, it cold have been much worse, and I challange you to try to come up with a "better" ending than Okus. (I'm really glad that Oku didn't try to "expalin" everything like we were 5 years old. Good endings are often short. That leaves the "rest" to the reader to decide what happened.)

Easy.

1. The Aliens want to steer the ship into the planet for revenge, to wipe out both races since their is no alternative planet for their race anyway. But the Alien woman Kei met helps him, they stop the aliens course for the planet in their controlroom. The alien woman initiates self destruct. The humans in suits flee with the ships, but a continious flow of Aliens try to re direct their ship onto earth, so someone has to stay behind and stop from doing that until it explodes.
And that person is Kei. He's sorry he can't keep his promise to his girlfriend on the camera, all of humanity see's how Kei gives his life to protect humanity, no, to protect the ones he loves.
The sky explodes in a huge and silent firework.
And then he becomes a legend of a hero with statues and shit.
And the girl was pregnant ofcourse.

2.OR The aliens had a beam that could shatter the whole Earth, and Kei stopped them from using that beam by destroying it and their hero. But then the aliens suicided their ship into the planet, and there was nothing Kei could do. He failed.A fraction of humanity survived.
He died and is later revived by still functioning underground gantz on the scourged empty surface of what once was Earth.
Millions of different aliens now swarm towards earth, since its easy to populate now, Kei and few others will be the immortal fighters that kill those bastards and try to find still functioning gantz balls etc.It turns out those who have been revived by gantz cant age.
He becomes the merciless monster killing the alien societies on future earth, instead of one of those that protects earth like before.
And maybe Gantz will have a new function.
Revive a loved one:1 million points.
LamarqJun 25, 2013 7:44 AM
Jun 25, 2013 7:47 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I didn't expect it to end so abruptly but I guess I'm fine with it, I'm sad we didn't get to see anything of the others anymore except on the last panel maybe but whatever
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Jun 25, 2013 8:17 AM
Sep 2012
Lamarq said:
Edalnas said:

Easy.

1. The Aliens want to steer the ship into the planet for revenge, to wipe out both races since their is no alternative planet for their race anyway. But the Alien woman Kei met helps him, they stop the aliens course for the planet in their controlroom. The alien woman initiates self destruct. The humans in suits flee with the ships, but a continious flow of Aliens try to re direct their ship onto earth, so someone has to stay behind and stop from doing that until it explodes.
And that person is Kei. He's sorry he can't keep his promise to his girlfriend on the camera, all of humanity see's how Kei gives his life to protect humanity, no, to protect the ones he loves.

2.OR The aliens had a beam that could shatter the whole Earth, and Kei stopped them from using that beam by destroying it and their hero. But then the aliens suicided their ship into the planet, and there was nothing Kei could do. He failed.A fraction of humanity survived.
He died and is later revived by still functioning underground gantz on the scourged empty surface of what once was Earth.
Millions of different aliens now swarm towards earth, since its easy to populate now, Kei and few others will be the immortal fighters that kill those bastards and try to find still functioning gantz balls etc.It turns out those who have been revived by gantz cant age.
He becomes the merciless monster killing the alien societies on future earth, instead of one of those that protects earth like before.

Yeah....

Except that the Alien woman has been dead for a long while now
Jun 25, 2013 8:31 AM

Jan 2011
8/10 overall, just because of everything until around the end of the Osaka arc.

Lamarq said:

Easy.

Sounds pretty good. I'd take number 2.

Jun 25, 2013 8:37 AM
Jun 2010
ShatteredWorld said:
Lamarq said:
Edalnas said:

Easy.

Yeah....

Except that the Alien woman has been dead for a long while now

Ehm, yeah. So I wouldn't have killed her.
Jun 25, 2013 8:41 AM

Mar 2013
Gantz is an extremely awesome manga, I totally love it. The mangaka did a wonderful job!
I rate this last chapter with 4. I hoped for happier ending, where all the people, who were close to Kei, are revived.
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Jun 25, 2013 8:44 AM
Nov 2012
Reading all these comments and then I'm just like:
"I fucking love Gantz, man."
Jun 25, 2013 8:47 AM

May 2012
Just read it today. Reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 ending. Full of plotholes, create imaginary God room (in mass effect's case, god kid) that has answers for everything and just a rushed ending. At least Mass Effect kept the tone of sacrifice. This just was the generic everyone is happy ending. Loved the manga, just not the ending. This could've been sooooo much more. Too bad the author just sort of gave up :/ I'm hoping this doesn't happen to Berserk.
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."
-Mordin
Jun 25, 2013 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Lol, I thought the comments about the ending were exaggerated at first - but after reading it, I can't help but feel that the ending was incredibly mediocre. So many wasted pages on people screaming 'yay' and 'thank you Kei'. It was also incredibly illogical that Tae and Kato's brother could somehow know that they will surface at that coast...

Man, nothing makes sense from the beginning, and I guess he wants to leave us clueless at the very end as well. At least it was a good ending.

1st phase 9/10, highlight : Buddha Arc
2nd phase 9/10, highlight : The awesome characters. Didn't like Nurarihyon Arc or else it would have gotten 10.
3rd phase 8/10, highlight : no real highlight, I actually enjoyed this phase except for the 'final battle', it was just random and stupid.

Overall : 9/10 - enjoyable ride overall. Glad I read this despite the ending.
Jun 25, 2013 9:18 AM
Jul 2010
so bad ending lol felt rushed as f***, oh and what have we learned from this Manga?... Don't get such aa annoying girl like Tae lol... mother of god i swear
Jun 25, 2013 9:34 AM

Jan 2009
Most series was pretty much awesome, last arc is looked to me like a poop and I hate the 3D/CG stuff in manga so 8/10 for this, pretty much enjoyed most of it so I'm planning to purchase the volume from Dark Horse release.
Jun 25, 2013 9:44 AM

Mar 2011
Happy Ending

• Tokyo's just fine despite the mothership falling.
  • Despite losing consciousness in the middle of the ocean, Kurono and Katou awaken in Tokyo Bay.
  • Tae's still not wearing pants, implying that no time has past despite the guys being lost in the ocean for two or three days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the last six pages didn't happen.
Jun 25, 2013 11:28 AM

Jun 2008
They should've just had the Ship fall to earth destroying both races.

At least that would've been a much more GANTZ-type ending than this Hollywood ending.

Seriously, it was stupid.

The whole last arc was stupid.

Every answer they gave us about GANTZ just brought up more questions.

This manga is a perfect example of an author who did not know how to end a series.

In the end....I'm still disappointed.
Jun 25, 2013 12:09 PM
Jan 2008
Lmao! Manga had great beginning and development but unfortunately ended in complete crapland.
Jun 25, 2013 12:58 PM

Apr 2010
Uh.... what?

Worst ending ever.
Jun 25, 2013 1:00 PM
Aug 2011
Won't hate on this manga since it was absolutely brilliant for a long time, but the ending really sucked. Truly a shame.
Jun 25, 2013 1:38 PM

Feb 2013
Just remember what it said at the end, he is working on other projects. That’s why we got this half assed ending; he wants to do something new. 13 years is a long time.
Jun 25, 2013 3:58 PM

Apr 2009
I really didn't like the ending at all. It's a shame this last arc was so terrible. I was already doubtful when introducing that magic power and the vampire stuff, but at least I could accept those (even though they weren't developed well enough in my opinion), but god, this last arc was horrible. I would really like to give the manga a 6/10, but there have been too many moments in the earlier chapters that I really liked and I will remember for times to come, so I'll have to give it a seven.

Edalnas said:
All I say is, it cold have been much worse, and I challange you to try to come up with a "better" ending than Okus.

And this means we are not allowed to dislike the ending why exactly? This is a terrible argument. The fact that I cannot come up with a better ending is also part of the fact that I did not even come up with the story. Besides, I read it for my enjoyment, and even though you might've liked it doesn't mean I should. No offence, I don't mean to say that if I don't like it nobody should, but the argument you use to justify the ending and claim it should be liked it just bad.

Jun 25, 2013 4:08 PM

Nov 2011
It wasn't that bad.. 9/10 good manga rushed ending.
Jun 25, 2013 4:28 PM

Apr 2010
Ending was crap 7/10.

How did Kurono even survive?
Jun 25, 2013 8:14 PM

Dec 2012
Guns47 said:

Tokyo's just fine despite the mothership falling.

Oku didn't really think this through.

Despite losing consciousness in the middle of the ocean, Kurono and Katou awaken in Tokyo Bay.

Oku didn't really think this through.

Tae's still not wearing pants, implying that no time has past despite the guys being lost in the ocean for two or three days.
She's not wearing pants because she's a slut.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the last six pages didn't happen.
That would be good news, but I question your logic. What do you think happened? That that was the afterlife or something? Because it was explicitly stated earlier that no such thing exists. It wouldn't make sense in the Gantz universe, not that very much really does, but still.
PolyphemusNov 24, 2013 9:59 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 25, 2013 8:30 PM

Mar 2011
MoeGalacticHero said:
Guns47 said:
the last six pages didn't happen.
What do you think happened?

I think the last six pages didn't happen.

If you want an explanation other than Unreliable Narrator, you can assume it was a hallucination brought on by dehydration, hypothermia and imminent death.
Jun 25, 2013 9:28 PM
May 2013
Wow im gonna pretend that I didn't read that. I like happy endings, but considering the fact that they killed off a bunch of the characters I liked, I might as well prefer a tragic ending where everyone dies. I mean c'mon the giant alien arc was a complete bs. They pulled off a supreme alien being that is basically god but technically isn't out of there ass, then they just blow that away and end with a big brawl?!? Are you fuckng kidding me thats total bullshit! Well w/e I was getting fed up with the MCs anyways.Oh btw fuck Tae, she's the worst character ever! I get the gist why Kei chose her to be his gf but she's a lil bitch! I prefered the other two he hooked up with.
Jun 25, 2013 9:31 PM

Feb 2013
Well its finally over, that final battle was disappointing to me, loved this manga all the way until the end where it just doesn't fit with how I look at it. Well at least it has an closed ending thats all i will say.
[/url]
Jun 25, 2013 9:57 PM
Dec 2012
what happened to the little kid the big guy always traveled with? Nishi? the vampires? everyone else endings? WDF!? WORST MANGA ENDING EVER
Jun 25, 2013 11:15 PM

Sep 2012
Wish Katou was better, and Tae had died...
Didn't care for the ending, though I wished someone else continued or at least assisted Oku in writing this series...

Other than that I'm still fine with the story. I had thrill reading this and it slowly went away near the final chapters.
Lost it's ratings..
Jun 25, 2013 11:20 PM

Feb 2009
Huge disappointment, the whole series was brilliant except for the last arc which was rushed and full of lazy writing/storytelling. I found the whole end of the world invasion as an easy plot device to end the manga fast, easy and add too many dumb shit/moments. The last arc I truly enjoyed was the Nurarihyon Alien mission, also the Italian mission was good.

Goodbye Gantz, I will never forget the epic train scene where the train gets sliced in half, the sex scenes, when Izumi disguises himself as a black man and kills almost 400 people in broad daylight, when you killed the main character in an epic way, oh and when Hoi Hoi (the panda) earned 40 points... goodbye.
Jun 25, 2013 11:27 PM
Feb 2010
Didn't notice Muscle Rider with Takeshi and Mary McClane in the crowd on the last page.
Jun 25, 2013 11:32 PM

Jan 2013
Almost there
Jun 26, 2013 12:05 AM

Apr 2012
Why didn't Tae at least put on some clothes. And how did everyone know to meat Kurono and Katou at the beach? If they had enough time to bring a bunch of helicopters, why didn't they.. i dunno, send a life boat?

Well this is a manga, where crazy shit happens all the time. So I guess I can't complain about that.
Jun 26, 2013 12:11 AM

Mar 2013
I expected 100+ pages in the last chapter
The mangaka troll'd us.
Jun 26, 2013 12:24 AM

Mar 2012
I am disappointed :/
Jun 26, 2013 2:00 AM

Apr 2010
That ending was pretty weak. I was enjoying up through the first third of the final arc after that it started to lose it.
Jun 26, 2013 2:47 AM

Sep 2009
I LOVE GANTZ.

I was along for the ride with most of the final arc until that un-Gantz esque ending.

There's a hole in my heart now.

P.S - I voted LOVED IT because it's Gantz, and I still LOVE IT. ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_;
LordLagannJun 26, 2013 2:57 AM
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 83 Discussion

becool - Jun 17, 2013

9 by Blazinnie »»
Apr 17, 7:31 PM

» Gantz Deluxe Edition

Mila91 - Apr 8

4 by Sagepool »»
Apr 8, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 22 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 21 Discussion

BackLashWave - Jan 14, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 20 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.