Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2013 9:13 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well. I have mixed feelings about this one. Many breathtaking visuals and a magnificent soundtrack are very much overshadowed by sloppy direction and shabby plot. Kamiyama Kenji really bombed it. But in the end I can give it a very generous 7/10.

Also, Françoise <3

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 9, 2013 6:03 AM
Jun 2013
just 2 questions:

who is the blonde-hair angel girl?
great happy ending...but i hate it when its totally a "?", not knowing why or how. so what is the best explanation for this?
Jun 9, 2013 6:29 AM
Jul 2008
Why did those two people have sex? They both had orange/red hair. Doesn't that imply that their siblings?
Jun 9, 2013 7:22 AM

May 2010
kashim said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well. I have mixed feelings about this one. Many breathtaking visuals and a magnificent soundtrack are very much overshadowed by sloppy direction and shabby plot. Kamiyama Kenji really bombed it. But in the end I can give it a very generous 7/10.

Also, Françoise <3

i pretty much agree with this. watched it a hour ago on my TV in 1080p and i quite enjoyed the visuals even though i usually dislike CGI animation.

i have never watched anything related to 009 Cyborg (and probably not going to) but from the movie i liked Jet the most :D

7/10 since i enjoyed it
Jun 9, 2013 10:58 AM

Jul 2011
Yeah, okay, just throw my expectations out the window...

I'm so disappointed. 95% of the reason I decided to watch this was because it is directed by Kamiyama Kenji. But it seems like he's really bad at directing movies. They're terrible in comparison to his TV series (especially this one). The only thing I liked was the action visuals.

The idea of "His Voice" was... If you're going to dive into that and religion, please be more psychological. It really was a shabby plot.
Directing was rather poor as well. Not enough time for development. Not much characterizations either.

I definitely think it would have been better as a TV series... more time for characterization and development. It would have also allowed for more political/ religious exploration. Here it was just meshed together. Nowhere near his usual amazing quality.

I was so hyped about it too. I was really looking forward to more of his works.

Was going to give it a 5/10 for the action, but I was too disappointed by this.

4/10
MirorinJun 9, 2013 1:29 PM
Jun 10, 2013 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
This was really a mixed bag for me. I'm not a massive CGI fan, especially some of the character models, but I found this a lot more bearable than usual. I like how the story tried to touch on some really poignant points in our modern day society, even going as far as to keep names like the NSA and various other technical terms like "Military–industrial complex" completely the same as in reality. The story didn't do the topic justice though, it made some good initial points, but failed to really execute any of them well enough. The sheer amount of asspulls and convenient plot devices was laughable throughout. It left me with a bitter feeling of disappointment by the end as this topic really deserved something executed a little better.
Jun 10, 2013 10:39 PM

Aug 2008
i gave it a 7/10 since

i) they showed a nuclear explosion and trying to escape it
ii) showed a dog fight using a gen v (i think) airplane
iii) stunning visuals and action

but yeah, the plot was SUPER crap
liked the use of religion and military but it was seriously used poorly
Jun 11, 2013 9:55 AM

May 2010
It's good as I expected but I just don't like this "His Voice" plot because it makes no senses and uninteresting because it's not the old "mad scientist"

But I will praise that they made the action and the setting as real and as serious as possible, also they put a ahem...an adult stuff in there ^^

I guess it's a 9/10
MyAmyJun 11, 2013 10:08 AM
Jun 13, 2013 1:58 AM

Aug 2009
do i need watching other things from 009 cyborg? OR can i start from this movie?
Jun 15, 2013 2:30 AM

Oct 2010
so i have not watched other realted anime to this movie but plz explain me the ending , how the fck were those dead cyborgs alive ? totally didnt get the ending , was it a post apocalptic world n what was "His voice " , were they refering it to the GOD , seriously ?
Do i need to watch the cyborg series tv anime to get an idea of it ?
Jun 17, 2013 1:56 AM

Jan 2009
i gave this a 9/10 just for the animation quality, its cel shading done right its 3D but looks 2D

and i like the God/Religion theme of this anime it did not give a conclusion to the question of whether god exist but it definitely gave hope that their is some gods and his voice is different depending on the state of mind of a human being, it also challenges that their might be no gods at all and its just a tool of our minds to overcome this chaotic or natural world especially the thing called death or entropy (the natural tendency of anything to be destroyed or be in disorder)

and Joe was miraculously alive since that cyborg child teleported him i bet, we saw that cyborg child sleeping as though he was exhausted from using his teleportation power
Jun 26, 2013 9:11 PM

Jun 2009
This is seems like a condensed version of all the topics conveyed from the original 009 materials. Kenji Kamiyama should've broken it into sequel movies.

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Jun 30, 2013 6:31 AM

Nov 2010
It was an incredible cool movie
I like the fact it's taken to a modern setting with stunning visuals

The downside was the story, well where is the villain?
And the facial expression were terrible at times, maybe cyborgs don't need them at all
Jul 8, 2013 5:11 AM

Aug 2011
Rewatching this just for the visual, it's so stunning despite it's from old series adaptation?

**☾**
Jul 10, 2013 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
Never been exposed to 009 before, and this movie wasn't a good start to it. My confusion, compounded with a side of ??religion?butnotreally?? bullshit plot, did not make a very appetizing combo.

Looks cool though. 10/10 if they showed me instead 009 outrunning a nuclear blast for 90 minutes.
Jul 14, 2013 12:24 PM
Oct 2010
MM-Rosiie said:
Yeah, okay, just throw my expectations out the window...

I'm so disappointed. 95% of the reason I decided to watch this was because it is directed by Kamiyama Kenji. But it seems like he's really bad at directing movies. They're terrible in comparison to his TV series (especially this one). The only thing I liked was the action visuals.

The idea of "His Voice" was... If you're going to dive into that and religion, please be more psychological. It really was a shabby plot.
Directing was rather poor as well. Not enough time for development. Not much characterizations either.

I definitely think it would have been better as a TV series... more time for characterization and development. It would have also allowed for more political/ religious exploration. Here it was just meshed together. Nowhere near his usual amazing quality.

I was so hyped about it too. I was really looking forward to more of his works.

Was going to give it a 5/10 for the action, but I was too disappointed by this.

4/10

have to agree. definitely thought it would be great beause kamiyamas past works (mostly gits) but this fell way below my expectations. left too many questions unanswered. the blonde loli? the black dude who disappears halfway through the movie, the bald dude from the beginning what hapened to them? surviving that nuke at the end? COME ON MAN!! and then to just pass it off as "o well ur nigga god was watching your back" guess he wasnt watching dubais back. i mean damn, this was bad. felt real condensed. visuals on military equipment, especially the B-2 was very nice but if thats about all it had going for it. think my score is pretty generous. and they set up this military industrial complex company as a decent enough antagonist but somewhere along the line they are cleared of any wrong doing? last i remember jet says the CEO was following his voice and thats it?
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Aug 10, 2013 2:00 AM
Jan 2012
Don't know how to go about it. I've watched the entire series when I was a kid but I became a bigger fan when I first saw the trailer. The trailer's OST was one of the best I've ever heard. Was really hyped about the movie. The first fight got me totally in love with it but I can't believe how they came up with a plot and ending of this caliber.

The visuals - amazing.
Characters - nicely done.
Fights and their animations - short-lived but awesome regardless.
Françoise's animation - actually got me in love with her <3
Individual modifications on each cyborg and the animations to pull off their abilities- much better than those in the series. Just wow!!

^
And all that awesomeness ends with not only inciting us to question what happened at the end but also with a plot that just wasn't meant to be a base for this genre.

Plus I can't believe how they didn't display enough of Great Britain's abilities, even though it had so much potential. And people who haven't watched the series have no clue of what Pyunma's abilities are. It's almost like he wasn't even viewed as a cyborg in this movie.

But then again I don't want the positive aspects of this movie to be overshadowed by the negative ones regardless of how mad I was at the ending.

6 on 10 should do.
Sep 28, 2013 6:58 AM

May 2012
24:09 TOH!

Masterpiece. 10/10
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 30, 2013 7:32 PM

Jun 2007
So pretty much the enemy in this movie was humanity....stupid we already know humans sucks. Come up with something else. The beginning was awesome but it felt like half way through the writer couldn't come up with anything else so he just half assed the rest of it. I hate how emotionless the characters are. One second Françoise is having sex with Joe and in the next 'Oh Joe might have died in a nuke blast? Oh well let's move on to plan B'. No one gave a shit about the characters that disappeared and at the end they all magically appear alive again and when characters start asking questions everyone is like "Who cares what happened. We're all alive and that's what counts wooo woo!".

This who movie was pretty much rapture. All the scum of the earth was killed and not brought back and all the good was brought to a new level of living in a post apocalyptic Italy lol.
Oct 12, 2013 5:06 PM
Dec 2009
KK, srsly, stop copying that Motoko's jump
Dec 10, 2013 11:51 PM

Oct 2007
The answer to who is the villain is really simple when you think about it, it's the same answer as who the hero is. I liked this movies style and direction a lot. It's the kind of film you sort of just experience and listen to the philosophical metaphors set to well directed action and mood pieces. Never expect much character development from these though as they are more used to frame the ideologies and contemplation the movie wants us to consider, namely whether we created god or not and what we are capable of as a species in the near future. I love these kinds of flicks. It really harkens back to some of I.G's older movie classics like GiTS, Patlabor etc. that tackled some densely layered existential observations and had a sort of slick post modern and pensive vibe to the overall backdrop and mood as they pondered existential questions about our current state as a civilization. It makes sense cause it's Kamiyama himself, Ooshi's other half.

If there's one minor draw back here sometimes the CGI is really awkward and unwelcome like during the make out scene. I don't know why they chose that other than it looks amazing during the action scenes but anytime the movie switched to the long monologues it often didn't look nearly as good. After thinking about it that's not nearly enough to keep me from giving it a 10/10. Just really intriguing contemplative stuff.
Jan 16, 2014 11:04 PM

Dec 2008
It was ok. I mainly enjoyed the lack of overly cartoonish character features that were such an eyesore in the old shows. It was a much more mature ova with action and a lot of adult material ( for 009 that is). Not too bad. 6/10
Dec 28, 2014 1:33 PM

Nov 2007
Whoops I fell asleep during half of this. Eh...I liked it well enough. I was just annoyed by the bland female characters and racial stereotypes. If anything what I took away from this movie was "ooh shiny visual, ahh pretty background," and that's about it.

Jul 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Jun 2010
It's really an injustice at how high the bar got set by the 2001 series. It seems like anything that gets released after The Cyborg Soldier doesn't even compare.

Oh well, at least it's a great kickstart into the series' return, and I'm always happy to see more Cyborg stuff.
Sep 19, 2015 2:31 PM

Jan 2015
It actually liked it. It could have been explained better, but still, it was quite enjoyable.
Sep 24, 2017 3:37 PM

Apr 2012
Architecture and lighting were gorgeous, but as others pointed out the lack of plot explanation really impaired any emotional investment the viewer could have for the characters or the stakes. Not bad but not something I would recommend either.
Feb 6, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2015
This was one of the most unclear plot I've ever seen. Like who was the voice, "God"? The blonde girl, angel? How come they all lived and where is the place? Joe's female friend at school, is she alive or what?

So when Joe was trying to stop that missile and decided to pray instead, does that mean God answered and decided to restore everyone? Was it an apocalypse or terrorist attack? I don't get it but I think it is bullshit nonetheless, even if I find the right answers.

Bad writing and probably won't watch the series anytime soon. 4/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 6, 2019 7:09 PM

Jan 2009
I remember when i was little i used to watch cyborg 009 and was very very weirded out by the animation.

15 years or so later, and after watching many different types of anime: "i found that weird?"
Oct 4, 2019 6:12 PM

Feb 2014
Françoise in her undies was a highlight.
Jan 29, 2020 8:48 PM
Dec 2019
I came to this movie through the running meme and thought of it as a classic "good guys vs. bad guys" plot type movie but damn...I like it and don't like it at the same time. It left me with a feeling of emptiness but not in a good way. More questions than answers and the ending, I just don't like incomplete and unexplained stories and plots :/ now I have no other choice than dive into the entire franchise searching for answers ^^"
7/10 (it did spark my interest so yeah)
Aug 6, 2020 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
I thought Cyborg 009 was originally paired with Cyborg 003.
But he was dating his high school classmate. After reading reviews, this movie is in an alternate setting so it made better sense.
Feb 13, 2022 9:08 AM

Oct 2013
lmao wtf is this ? "it was god all along" also "you survived because god say yes"
Sep 13, 2022 8:10 PM

Feb 2013
Awesome writers, they're just writing in the futures
✈️

More topics from this board

» Can I watch this without watching the original series?

Bleachway - Nov 8, 2015

1 by DocJangarly »»
Nov 21, 2015 3:20 AM

» PV

Mirorin - Jan 5, 2013

5 by ShojoSamurai »»
Jun 8, 2013 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.