Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2013 1:53 PM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great series. Way better than I expected. The two openings were really unique and added vibe to the series.

5/5
May 19, 2015 10:32 AM

Feb 2011
I have really mixed feeling about this anime, the majority of them being positive. I thought the first season was very well done, the beginning of the 2nd season was a little dry, and the end of the 2nd season just felt rushed and convoluted. I do like how the ending narration stated that Ushio's ideals where neither right or wrong. It gives a sense that nobody really knows what paradise is. On another note I really couldn't stand Ushio. She was just so incredibly selfish and indecisive about everything! Yuuhi is best girl for sure.

And just one question. Who is Joel standing next to at the very end? Is that Laubuley? Or whatever her name is.

EDIT: I do have one more gripe. It really sucks that the sisters never actually wore the traditional garbs and war paint they are shown wearing in the openings.
いっぺん死んでみる?
Feb 24, 2017 12:44 PM

Dec 2015
And they succeeded to wrap up the important questions of their myths and to give a conclusion to the different views of the sisters while pointing again at the false idea that things were wrong or right.
Nice picture at the end to confirm Joel as the narrator.

5/5

Clever exploitation of the kaijû/mecha concept to deal with politics, media, society and more. Those themes on a scifi mythology background make for a really interesting show with no useless episode. Decent look except for a handful of episodes. It would be perfect, had the series been better preemptively build, here you're sometimes under the impression the creator kind of lost his plan map.

Score: 7.5+/10

January 22, 2019
syncrogazer said:
Manages to be both brilliant and stupid at the same time. It's an absolute mess, but I can't hate it.
Certainly a unique experience.

Ahah, that's the Aikawa Shô efect, I guess. XD (when he doesn't tell someone else's story.)
It's a miracle he managed to get another original project financed 16-17 years later. (a 20smthng TV show at that!) Although he did improve (a bit) in the planning department.

edit:
Apollo18 said:
The 1/2-length episode format is weird, though.

I think I remember this had to do with the difficulty of financing this one/getting it produced. They only found a home on the shorts night slot this was broadcasted in. (The creator seems to rarely get his projects going easily...)
Rei_IIIOct 6, 2020 2:01 AM
Apr 19, 2018 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
It had some nice philosophical bits especially with the last episodes and social commentary on japan economics as well as medium, however there is nothing to glue it together. The characters change in behavior too fast and most of them didnt develop at all (i had a hard time empathizing with Laburey and Joel when all they did the entire show was scream "Ranga!!" every 10 secs and thats pretty much their whole character), the god-of-the-week format damaged the whole series, the comedy ruined a lot of possible good moments, speand too much time in unnecessary SoL stuff to the point that the main story and characters were left to rotten...
The only thing the anime did relatively right was Fujiwara relationship with Yuuhi and the last 7 episodes were quite emotional, but even those were pretty rushed.
removed-userApr 19, 2018 5:50 AM
Jan 20, 2019 4:12 PM

Aug 2012
Vaanskylord said:
I have really mixed feeling about this anime, the majority of them being positive. I thought the first season was very well done, the beginning of the 2nd season was a little dry, and the end of the 2nd season just felt rushed and convoluted. I do like how the ending narration stated that Ushio's ideals where neither right or wrong. It gives a sense that nobody really knows what paradise is. On another note I really couldn't stand Ushio. She was just so incredibly selfish and indecisive about everything! Yuuhi is best girl for sure.

And just one question. Who is Joel standing next to at the very end? Is that Laubuley? Or whatever her name is.

EDIT: I do have one more gripe. It really sucks that the sisters never actually wore the traditional garbs and war paint they are shown wearing in the openings.

Pretty much exactly this sums up how I feel, I've still given the show a 9/10 which is perhaps a little generous. I loved the first season but in hindsight the show did begin to slide abit with the second season. The last few episodes were definitely quite rushed and I agree while not always the most likable Yuuhi is definitely the best character, she stays truest to her ideals and never wavers right up to a badass ending.

Also agree that its a shame that we didn't get the war paint getup, kept expecting it to happen throughout those last handful of episodes but alas it didn't. Oh well.

On another note it's somewhat disappointing that a show that has looked so wonderful throughout in terms of Animation began to slip in a lot of digital shots towards the end. As a lover of the old cel painted look seeing digital shots creep in more and more in the last few episodes was a shame, especially the last episode which was probably close to 60% digital unfortunately. Could hurt the chances of this show ever getting a Blu Ray release in True HD.

Neo Ranga usurped my expectations, I've wanted to watch the show for probably close to a decade and so often shows like that for me fail to really deliver but in this case Neo Ranga certainly did. It's a very interesting show that is engaging throughout, could have finished stronger but this is definitely a series I'm happy to have seen and I'll long remember.
Jan 22, 2019 6:54 AM

Mar 2016
This show manages to be both brilliant and stupid at the same time. It's an absolute mess, but I can't hate it (can't love it either though). Character motivations are schizophrenic; the story is absolutely insane but somehow it still manages to tell a somewhat serious story about generational anxieties and a culture changing from outside pressures, with some of the usual militarization stuff mixed in. Liked the overall aesthetic, characters designs and backgrounds. Decent comedy, and they didn't sacrifice meaningful story,character moments for it(not that they all worked, but it was a good mix).

Certainly a unique experience.
syncrogazerJan 22, 2019 7:39 AM
Oct 5, 2020 5:19 PM
Oct 2018
Under-rated series. This and Rahxephon would have to be best of the NGE clones, from that era. Not as good as the series that spawned them, but still not bad.

The 1/2-length episode format is weird, tho. IIRC Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu is the only other non-comedy I've seen, using these short episodes. Usually it's only comedys, or stuff pitched at young children.
Aug 25, 2021 12:29 AM

Oct 2010
decent ending, too bad the girls didn't fight tao but at least they sent their brother in the afterlife. they were talking about a possible war in space but I guess it was just for context. in the end, it finished things in a coherent manner for the sisters.
Apr 30, 2022 5:53 PM

Sep 2020
Overall disappointing. The trailers/intros made it seem like some cool monster and badass warrior women show but it really had none of that.

I liked the political and moral discussion stuff (especially the Shin Godzilla-esque opening episodes, but in the end I just wanted it to be over after 1/4 of the way. The biggest problem was the characters, there wasn't much reason to care for any of them and there were way too many. The story moves pretty fast and things get glossed over a lot between the episodes as well. The ending was definitely sour.

I give it a 7.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jun 6, 2022 4:38 AM

Aug 2017
So in the end Tao, representing the "natural way" of things against which people rebelled (to find their own paradises?), was not defeated completely. What happened with all the other kaiju, I wonder? The show would've benefitted with a bit more episodes to explore the themes and plot points that started to be brought up near the end.

Still, I liked that Yuuhi did indeed have an ace up her sleeve.

Oomori and Haseoka discovered Minami's "secret" brother complex, huh. I wonder if Haseoka stands a chance...

Overall I guess the episodic explorations of various themes were a better format for the show than a big apocalyptic plot about monotheism/polytheism/mythology, mostly because the short episodes allowed for a quick exploration of a theme, but there were not enough for a bigger plot. Still it's interesting that the final battle happened so late, the antagonist being their brother allowed for a weird closeness between them for some time, despite the fact that he turned out to be the "final boss". And here they were just sitting there and chatting with him in ep 47.
St0rmbladeJun 6, 2022 4:41 AM
Jul 6, 2022 7:02 PM
Mar 2019
This went a bit weird towards the end, but for the most part was Good.
Sort of a happy ending for most of the Girls with few casualties.
Mar 7, 2023 4:49 PM

Dec 2019
loved this but one thing really left a sour taste in my mouth.

neo ranga himself was my favorite character, it was shown that he had his own will separate from the sisters and the guy inside him. but after the guy emerged from him, his character is stripped bare, he is only really a vehicle from that point on. i really hated that.
Sperginator_9000Mar 7, 2023 5:08 PM
'a stupid person will fill the lines, a stupider person will come a long and make the lines thinner'
Sep 3, 2023 11:28 PM

Mar 2016
This show was awful. It's the pinnacle of irresponsible storytelling where nothing that happens matters. And yeah, no warrior babes like the promo art suggests.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!

More topics from this board

» Is this series contains nudity?

doliwaq - Sep 12, 2023

3 by Edddwolf »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:06 PM

Poll: » Neo Ranga Episode 5 Discussion

Mankemacho - Mar 15, 2013

3 by Kuruwin »»
Jun 21, 2023 12:14 AM

Poll: » Neo Ranga Episode 42 Discussion

Mankemacho - May 27, 2013

2 by bushman66 »»
Jul 1, 2022 6:32 PM

Poll: » Neo Ranga Episode 47 Discussion

2 by St0rmblade »»
Jun 6, 2022 4:00 AM

Poll: » Neo Ranga Episode 41 Discussion

3 by St0rmblade »»
Jun 3, 2022 12:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.