Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 1, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
Confusing anime 7/10, Kuromitsu probably the prettiest chick in anime.
Nov 18, 2014 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
Shows how eternal life isnt something so easy to deal with.
First episodes I really enjoyed, then it was more action based, and in the end a somewhat satisfying ending.
I'd say it's worth 8/10 for me, the end got me back into the story, as it got a bit more serious on the eternal life part.
Dec 5, 2014 12:07 AM
May 2014
so...is kuro just kuromitsus "doll" which follows her into new times once he is beheaded and placed on a new body? or am i imagining things
Dec 23, 2014 8:00 AM
Dec 2014
Absolutely loved the ending showing how the same thing repeats over time while the environment slightly changes each time, then how it cuts to the opening showing how he's stuck in an eternal loop of chasing after a love he can't catch, this also is shown as butterfly's are seen as something beautiful that are chased after but no matter how hard you try you can't catch it, which in this case it's Kurozu chasing after Kuromituz.(forgive me i can't spell there names :P)
Dec 26, 2014 10:54 PM

Jan 2014
what the fuck is with the ending?
seriously what fuck??!!
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Mar 15, 2015 6:40 PM
Nov 2014
what a entertaining, confounding series. i'm going to be thinking about this for a while.

i have watched this series twice now. the first time i watched it i hadn't read the manga. at that time i rated this series a 9 out of 10. but having now read the manga i have rate it downwards a bit to 7. as enjoyable as this series was, i now realise it does not do the source material justice. the time warp element does not exist in the manga, which i think is an improvement. i did feel this element had made the plot of the anime unnecessarily convoluted. while i can accept the concept of a 1000+ year old vampire, bestowing her with the ability to reset time seems rather absurd.

my other issue with the series is how Kuromitsu is portrayed. she is quite the sociopath in the series really, with zero genuine empathy for her kuro, who is ultimately a plaything to give her life meaning. in the manga her objective is to finish kuro's transformation so that they can be together for eternity, not so that he can be in perpetual pursuit of her. as a result the manga is a love story rather than a tale of enforced co-dependency. not to say that the manga is flawless. the Haniwa resistance, as in the series, lacks any sense of character depth. plus the sex scenes, while welcome (i have a few hentai in my collection) are a little odd - i guess publishers have to do what they must to get past obscenity laws - and a bit too obviously aimed at fanservice for the boys.

gah, and let me not forget to complain about kuro's confrontation with Hasegawa. why oh why was he transformed into a grotesque monster with an iq in double digits? that did not fit the tone of the series, imo. needless to say that does not happen in the manga either.

despite the above, i still enjoyed the series immensely. the animation is gorgeous, the fight scenes in the first few episodes are epic - i wish the quality of the fights had been maintained throughout, and i appreciated having to think rather than have the plot spoon fed to me.
sdb68Mar 17, 2015 10:38 AM
Mar 29, 2015 8:18 PM

Aug 2009
I disliked the ending.Its basically a everything repeats itself ending instead of a actual ending.
Jun 5, 2015 10:11 AM
Jun 2015
Would you mind getting the answer what happen to kuromitsu about 100 yrs ago when she was mortal and she find with the man with the white hair
... ?? Still not getting it...??
Jun 8, 2015 11:58 PM

Sep 2013
Wow people werent kidding when they said this was confusing. Im pretty sure Im not the only who didnt quite get the ending, actually I dont think even the writers know what happened. Well it was an entertaining show overall. Lots of awesome action and blood although some episodes felt disconnected which kinda made a little more sense after the ending. Well I got a feeling it could have been better but was good overall.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 9, 2015 12:08 AM

Sep 2013
blanked said:
Would you mind getting the answer what happen to kuromitsu about 100 yrs ago when she was mortal and she find with the man with the white hair
... ?? Still not getting it...??
After reading spoilers online, Kuromitsu in her teenage years found a man wash ashore and is near death. The man asked if he can drink her blood but Kuromitsu ran back into the village and told people there is a talking corpse. Two men along with Kuromitsu went back into the scene but there is only a dead man. The two men then thought this is their chance to get laid so they attempted to rape Kuromitsu but the dead man grabbed one man in the neck and threw him into the sea and the other one ran back in fear. The dead man(a vampire) asked again if he can drink her blood. Kuromitsu agreed so that the story how she turned into a vampire.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 11, 2015 2:01 PM

Jan 2013
Okay, I just finished the anime yes, yes I know it's too late for me to reply but what the heck I'm going to do it anyway.

The Confusing romance between KuroXKuromitsu was a bit heart breaking sometimes *cough* especially during the kuon moment *you know which one....* *cough* even though that body was going to Kuro she didn't have to do it that early.....*sigh*. Oh man that really made my heart ache.

from my understanding it was all the douchebag Benkei's fault.

The reason is because, the head detaching shet that Kuromitsu was doing is because of Kuro being decapitated by Benkei during his initial transformation.

So Kuromitsu had to keep changing Kuro's body every decade or so because of it's decay. After awhile she kind of found a solution by creating Kuon.

Kuon was initial mean for Kuro to have an everlasting body, because of the Genes that it was created from.

so here's a quick short map

Intial transformation --> Benkei You Idiot --> Endless Cycle --> Kuon Solution --> Weird ass ending.

if it wasn't for Benkei it would of been like this

Initial transformation --> Good Ending with the possibility of them not dying till the actual end of time.

That's all.

P.S : Ouch! Kuromitsu why you do dis with kuon the unreplaced head version!!!!

EDIT : Whooops it looks like someone beat me to it, well it's only been 2 years since he beat me to it lol. But well yeah that summarises everything.
Rage5110Jun 11, 2015 2:06 PM

"We are Anonymous, We are Legion, We do not forgive, We do not Forget, Expect Us."

Jul 8, 2015 8:48 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This definitely is not an anime for those who like tidy packages at the end. I really liked the anime and didn't mind the strange characters (like the beetle guy). At the end, I just felt sorry for Kuro. 8/10
Jul 15, 2015 9:16 PM

Sep 2014
Kuromitsu should've f*cked both guys in the beginning (Benkei and Kuro). Problem solved. No more b*llshit dramas, unnecessary plots, and excessive murders.
Jul 18, 2015 7:03 PM
Sep 2014
@Rage5110 Well, all that stand and all, but how do you explain that every time he get "revived" all characters are there, everything happends how it happened before only different setting (" year")?
We can see it clearly in the last episode that everything repeats itself. Also Kuro had deja vu in episode 1 saying that everything feels familiar. Does Kuromitsu have ability to control time or something? I guess ill have to read manga for more info.

But regardless i had enjoyed this anime a lot
Oct 26, 2015 3:44 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Rage5110 said:

The reason is because, the head detaching shet that Kuromitsu was doing is because of Kuro being decapitated by Benkei during his initial transformation.

Lol, I like the way you said that. But yeah, definitely all Benkei's fault why Kurou has to keep suffering this eternal cycle of getting his head cut off and finding Kuromitsu, only to get his head cut off again. Second culprit would be Kuromitsu, but how can you blame someone who didn't wish for immortality. She finally found someone she really loved, and it would be scary to keep living without him, for eternity.

People should read ApeironEros's interpretation, I think it's the only one in this thread that has the best explanation for the cycle, and seeing Benkei and other characters once again. The reason why Benkei is at the end again, and you see Rai, Hasegawa, etc. in what looks like a different timeline is because they are reincarnations. Kurou might continuously meet them again, as time goes on, but in a different setting and in a different lifetime (for those characters). The reincarnation reminds me of one of my favorite anime...

While the last episode was great in tying up the story and explaining all the questions the audience had, I can't say that it was a really enjoyable watch. Ultimately, it has a really interesting idea yet it failed to deliver. I really like the idea of co-dependency between Kuromitsu and Kurou, that it was actually Kuromitsu who needed Kurou all along, as well as the idea of an endless cycle and reincarnations. I now understand Archaeon's review about seeing this as a "what-if tale," which I had no clue what he meant by.

I think partially why I didn't like it as much I wanted to is because of some of the episodes or things that happened just didn't feel significant to the overall theme, or the ideas in which we finally understand in the end. For example, the turtle guy and that lady? Maybe they were there to show as a parallel (sort of) to Kuromitsu and Kurou, in that they completed each other, although not in a romantic way. Idk. Or maybe it was that I really didn't care about the bad guys, they were so one dimensional; that weird hair dude seemed to live for fighting, Hasaegawa dude wanted an immortal body, or something...it was hard to feel anything for any of the characters, although I suspect that was the point. It probably reflects how detached Kurou is with any other characters as he repeats the cycles. Wow I think I just answered a lot of my own problems with the series.

Anyways, I think this is the first anime that I've said WTF so many times out loud X) Maybe it's just not for me, and that's okay. Aside from the interesting themes/ideas, I also enjoyed having to think a lot at the end. I don't think this is an anime that you can use your normal way of rating for, if you do rate critically. Kurozuka is definitely a "what-if" tale, and in the end, it was meant to give you the same experience as Kurou did, as well as revolving around the idea of an eternal cycle motivated by love, fear of loneliness, and co-dependency. I won't fault it for the lack of character development or characterization or whatever character-related points. This was neither character driven nor plot driven. If anything, I definitely praise the anime for its entertaining cinematography and how dramatic scenes can be (in a good).

Damn I wrote a lot...
tingyOct 26, 2015 3:50 AM
Nov 26, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
I thought of it as pure hell, sure staying immortal ageless is probably nice, but repeating the cycle of hell over and over and over and over and over again!

Is just uggh no, just let that man die!
Alfazeroneko will come back, surely he will be back from the dead :)

Nov 26, 2015 1:14 PM

Feb 2010
Whoa, crazy ride it has been. From what I grasp from the ending, the relationship between Kuro and Kuromitsu transcends that of a single time line. Variations of the same events take place over the same period of time with every cycle in this infinite merry-go-round slightly different than the other. Well thats just what I got from the end anyways :l

Dec 9, 2015 12:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Entertaining, beatutiful and confusing in equal measure. this last episode was a pretty good ending. Kuro and Kuromitsu really had a love that trascends space and time.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 11, 2015 6:19 PM

Feb 2013
Called it: Kuro is Kuromitsu's play thing.
The interesting thing is that the first episode was not the first time. Not that it matters, but I can't help but wonder how long they've been playing this game.

7/10 (good) It could have been better if some of the nonsense had been cut out.
Feb 9, 2016 3:06 PM

Nov 2015
I don't understand why Kuromitsu intented to create an immortal body to which Kuro's head could be attached if she, by her own admission, was simply looking to repeat the head-goes-on, head-goes-off cycle.

Am I missing something here?

Also, why did she endevour to make Kuro into an immortal at the very beginning of the show? As was laid out in the last episode he was already immortal at that point, was he not (well his head, to be more precise)?
Feb 19, 2016 2:15 AM

May 2015
I feel like this is definitely an ending that will divide the viewers. It makes me wonder if the creators set out with a goal to make the audience have long and heated debates regarding the conclusion and events leading up to it, or if it was just some wry and sardonic prank.
Mar 9, 2016 12:11 PM
Jul 2014
WTF?! I feel like producers shot themselves in the leg with last three or four episodes! I didn't like it at all. Sadly though, as I did find quite interesting at the beginning! This end - with them searching for each other for eternity feels really stupid! 6/10
May 13, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2012
tradedaemon said:
noteDhero said:
Sorry, I went in not knowing about the manga, and I found the show to be quite shallow. There was no deep conversation of love at all in this show...just a horrifying codependency that doesn't really ever get explained. The fights were good in the beginning, and just petered off towards the end. They clearly blew their load in the first few episodes, and then decided to try and make a story around it all, and once they realized that they had nothing, they made up the excuse that it's a bizarre mobius strip.

Meh, I read the manga, and didn't think so. If you had your head cut off, and all you knew was that this woman kuromitsu knew who and what you were, wouldn't you seek here out? When Kuro was a head, he wantetd to die. So what's wrong with it ending showing codependency that Kuromitsu was the one who needed Kuro?

I think cause they only had a budget for 12 episodes, they had to mix some stuff around.
she should have let him die if she truly loved him. And should have killed her by now. The ending is dissapointing.
May 13, 2016 12:07 PM

Aug 2012
Tem-Inburn said:
I wished Kuromitsu had let Kuro die (if he can die). It would have a made a more coherent ending and given the series some closure.

i dunno about this series, it just didn't seem to know where it was going half the time. I don't know whether it was worth sticking it through till the end or not.

she cannot because she is a selfish bitch. she does not have the will to go on unless there is someone that loves her as a woman. It is called narcissism . she needs him to confirm her existence still has value. She does not truly care about him. She just wants to be loved. If the ones that loves her is condemned to live trough hell again and again so be it. think about it. she asks her to let him die but she refuses and deletes his memories. she is toxic and the only way this could have a happy end is if Kuro eventually manages to kill her.
May 13, 2016 12:17 PM

Aug 2012
tingy said:
Rage5110 said:

Lol, I like the way you said that. But yeah, definitely all Benkei's fault why Kurou has to keep suffering this eternal cycle of getting his head cut off and finding Kuromitsu, only to get his head cut off again. Second culprit would be Kuromitsu, but how can you blame someone who didn't wish for immortality. She finally found someone she really loved, and it would be scary to keep living without him, for eternity.

People should read ApeironEros's interpretation, I think it's the only one in this thread that has the best explanation for the cycle, and seeing Benkei and other characters once again. The reason why Benkei is at the end again, and you see Rai, Hasegawa, etc. in what looks like a different timeline is because they are reincarnations. Kurou might continuously meet them again, as time goes on, but in a different setting and in a different lifetime (for those characters). The reincarnation reminds me of one of my favorite anime...

While the last episode was great in tying up the story and explaining all the questions the audience had, I can't say that it was a really enjoyable watch. Ultimately, it has a really interesting idea yet it failed to deliver. I really like the idea of co-dependency between Kuromitsu and Kurou, that it was actually Kuromitsu who needed Kurou all along, as well as the idea of an endless cycle and reincarnations. I now understand Archaeon's review about seeing this as a "what-if tale," which I had no clue what he meant by.

I think partially why I didn't like it as much I wanted to is because of some of the episodes or things that happened just didn't feel significant to the overall theme, or the ideas in which we finally understand in the end. For example, the turtle guy and that lady? Maybe they were there to show as a parallel (sort of) to Kuromitsu and Kurou, in that they completed each other, although not in a romantic way. Idk. Or maybe it was that I really didn't care about the bad guys, they were so one dimensional; that weird hair dude seemed to live for fighting, Hasaegawa dude wanted an immortal body, or something...it was hard to feel anything for any of the characters, although I suspect that was the point. It probably reflects how detached Kurou is with any other characters as he repeats the cycles. Wow I think I just answered a lot of my own problems with the series.

Anyways, I think this is the first anime that I've said WTF so many times out loud X) Maybe it's just not for me, and that's okay. Aside from the interesting themes/ideas, I also enjoyed having to think a lot at the end. I don't think this is an anime that you can use your normal way of rating for, if you do rate critically. Kurozuka is definitely a "what-if" tale, and in the end, it was meant to give you the same experience as Kurou did, as well as revolving around the idea of an eternal cycle motivated by love, fear of loneliness, and co-dependency. I won't fault it for the lack of character development or characterization or whatever character-related points. This was neither character driven nor plot driven. If anything, I definitely praise the anime for its entertaining cinematography and how dramatic scenes can be (in a good).

Damn I wrote a lot...

so you defend Kuromitsu? I have no problem with her re-attaching the head the first times, but when he said he wanted to die she should have let him. She is a selfish narcissistic bitch.
May 13, 2016 1:39 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
nightcrawlercyp said:

so you defend Kuromitsu? I have no problem with her re-attaching the head the first times, but when he said he wanted to die she should have let him. She is a selfish narcissistic bitch.

No, I said that I don't blame her, meaning I understood her state of mind and intentions when she made Kurou immortal. However that does not mean I defend her or justify what she did to keep Kurou alive despite him not wanting to be alive anymore.
May 14, 2016 2:54 PM

Aug 2012
tingy said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

No, I said that I don't blame her, meaning I understood her state of mind and intentions when she made Kurou immortal. However that does not mean I defend her or justify what she did to keep Kurou alive despite him not wanting to be alive anymore.
ohk then. then I guess we agree.
May 14, 2016 7:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
nightcrawlercyp said:
ohk then. then I guess we agree.

:) Might've been my fault for not being clear enough.
Jun 14, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2016
I liked the ending. Very meta.

Eveything is just playing out over and over again. Same people. Same scenarios. All with a twist to make it different. Just enough to keep Kuromitsu from becoming bored.

I liked the last image of the light of her hut in the middle of a wasteland. Meaning it's hell and Bankai and Kuro are doomed too wander the same ground/history forever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 2:38 PM
Jun 2015
At the beginning of this show I thought to myself "this show is trying to mess with my head" then as I kept on watching, it got worse. Then when I thought I had seen a light at the tunnel the show decided to fuck with my brain. As for this ending I understand nothing concrete in this show so I rate 6/10 because of the art

Jul 13, 2016 8:56 PM
Jul 2016
I have read alot of different theories about what the ending could mean and i finally found my conclusion. It could not have been a dream because "yes" you see kuro and benkei in the forest at the end just like you did at the beginning BUT it is not the same because the world around is nomore as u can see when the camera pans out, telling you that this is indeed not a dream. My theroy is that kuro was stuck in the endless loop for centuries untill time itself reverted back to that moment which everything is perfect which lead kuro to have that " de ja vu" as in he felt like he was in that situation before (the begining).
- lita like a password that u want to crack but you have to go threw a billion letters to finally get all the letters right
Aug 11, 2016 7:33 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid ending with a pretty lovely story! Quited like the overall setting and atmosphere from the start, and somewhere it did gave me a bit of a hint away from Hell Girl!

Pretty lovely ending in general and all in all a good anime I must say!
Dec 28, 2016 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
what a retarded show
Jan 23, 2017 8:39 AM

Apr 2014
Gotta love the trope of beginning is end and end is beginning.
Feb 8, 2017 5:05 AM

Nov 2014
blessofcurse said:
Yes, it was confusing af and I have to agree, Kuromitsu is really pretty...
Feb 22, 2017 1:33 AM

Feb 2014
oi oi oi, at first I thought the last few scenes were taking the whole "life flashing before your eyes" thing a little too seriously.

Then they pan out from the forest and its nothing but ruined city.

Mind = blown, literally wtf did i even just watch

Mar 13, 2017 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
After reading comments I think I'm in a bit of a unique boat. I'm not upset i couldn't follow it, because it wasn't that difficult. But...meh, this was good until half way through. I get the fact that the entire show, from the 1st minute onward, was supposed to be a cycle of him dying from her and waking up again in a new body, meeting her again and again and again. Even in the first episode, but the show makes it look like he's waking up again in the past since this episode ends with where the show begins. This episode alone annoyed me, Benkei loved kuromitsu? That kinda came out of left field...definitely nothing to suggest whatsoever that he really knew the extent of kurou's relationship to her cus the first ep never showed any of that or really hinted at it nor did it really hint at or show any scenes where Benkei "loved" her. While the story is supposed to not tell you everything, at least I would like to watch something that doesn't purposefully eliminate scenes in order to create an artificial "wtf" moment in which there would be no way you could possibly come to the same conclusion even when everything gets revealed at the end.

EDIT: Just read the 2nd chapter of the manga, yeah, the anime alters the story. in the anime, Benkai leaves the next morning after arriving at her house and comes back the next time as a villain, in the manga, he lives with the two of them and sees them going off and their affection and theres dialogue suggesting that he had a thing for kuromitsu too. That's just sloppy, the director didn't even realize they cut that part out when they made this final episode...lol....

Also, the Red Imperial organization, who are they? Why do they create demons? Who was really leading them, Benkai was their "leader" but at the same time it felt like he was just a figurehead? Kuromitsu joins them at some point, in order for her to try and create Kuro's perfect body. But what was their angle? Immortality seemed to be their organizations goal back 1000 years before Benkai killed the old geezer, but what about today? Surely not the same, now that Kuromitsu is apart of the very organization. Also can't forget about the cast of characters whose only purpose is to die, lots of enemies and friends alike with no story of their own. Lots of questions to trivial things about the plot that add up to a large chunk, but no answers to be found.

Kuromitsu said at the start they could never be together but they would be connected forever, so this "revelation" isn't much of a surprise to me. I just felt like the plot was too convoluted for such a basic story of obsession and one sided love (Sucks Kurou can't die). There's nothing deep, or any major revelations about besides the Benkei thing (to me) that you can't come up with along the way.

Maybe the novel or manga is different, but I just don't think this was done well at all in this format.

Kinda sucks, but i was super into this show for the first half...maybe the novel/manga is much better, but for this, 6/10
Venom900Mar 13, 2017 9:21 PM

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 6, 2017 5:58 AM

Apr 2015
Didn't understand shit about this last episode
want's to give it 8 but overall
7/10
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Mar 3, 2018 7:03 PM

May 2017
SilentPredator03 said:
Let me preface this by saying this is what I got out of it and not definitive. This is from a combination of the series and reading the manga.
DeathfireD said:

I'm also a bit confused as to what actually happened towards the end where Kuro shows up in the city before it's destroyed, running from the red army. Was that just a random flashback to show how the city got fucked up in the first place?

I don't think it was a flashback, but rather a flash forward. When you see Kurou wake up, he looks upon the city that is completely rebuilt. Add to that the fact that in the following clips we get a quick glimpse of the Red Emperor (Benkei) ordering them to find and kill Kuromitsu. Now he lifts his hand up briefly and you can see just how much it has shriveled - showing that he's aged even more after the time we see him meeting with Kuromitsu. Afterall, he gained immortality and Kurou didn't cut his head off after their duel. I think this point is just to show that the cycle of Kurou and Kuromitsu meeting and running from their pursuers is endless.

Also what was the point of Kuon's body? Was it really just a replacement for Kuro's body? If so why? Is his head the only thing that doesn't age?

Kuon was created specifically for Kurou - as he needs to replace his body every 100 years or so. The reason Kurou has to change bodies every 100 years is because when he drank Kuromitsu's blood, Benkei chopped his head off before the blood could finish mixing. Kuon is actually a 'complete' immortal like Kuromitsu. She created him in hopes that giving Kurou an immortal body would eliminate the need for him to switch bodies. It's not that his body doesn't age, it's just that it can't take the constant damage and regeneration. After awhile it begins to weaken until he can't move anymore.

I can see from the very end that they did not actually "go back in time" since there was buildings destroyed all around the forest that Kuro and Benkei where in. I can only guess that this is a never ending cycle that Kuro and Kuromitsu created into order to survive and keep their relationship fresh.

Not so much to keep their relationship fresh as it is a necessity of Kurou switching bodies. As she is being pursued, Kuromitsu can't exactly wait around for Kurou to finish joining to his new body and she has faith in him that he'll find her.

Also the evil old guy was still not explained other then he wanted Kuromitsu dead...

The 'evil old guy' is Benkei. He was jealous of Kurou for his relationship with Kuromitsu. He betrayed Kurou to the group that was chasing them at the time and found out that Kuromitsu is immortal. He spends the next 1000 years chasing her so that he could tell her his feelings. A little bit crazy and obsessive? Yeah, but look what she did to Koun. This is a woman who has a great power over men.

Overall, the 'ending' is left up for the viewer to decide. Was it a dream? Possibly, but the destroyed landscape around the jungle suggests not.

You know, I don't even care if your explanation is right or not...but I like it and seems highly logical....so I'm gonna just go with what you said so this makes more sense to me.

Overall I really enjoyed this show, but they could've been a little clearer hinting at WTF was going on in the end for folks that have ONLY watched this anime. I mean I like open ended and all sometimes, but open is one thing though confused as #$% is another.

Anyway, thanks for your take on this....I like it and it fits quite well. :D
Sep 5, 2018 2:35 AM

Jan 2013
this anime was just so bad and painful to watch even if Mamoru is one of the seiyuu... 3 or even 2/10 only Rai was an enjoyable character

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Dec 24, 2018 5:39 PM
Aug 2014
Quite a confusing end hah.

I'll just interpret the ending scenes as a representation of all the timelines happening at once across parallel worlds.
Jun 15, 2019 7:35 PM
Sep 2018
Please someone explain end of the anime because it was confusing
Jun 19, 2019 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
The last episode was unusually more confusing since the first episode while thankfully the ending was understandable. Overall the show managed to exceed my expectation for most of the parts and the top notch unlimited action flick made it nice watch.
Sep 2, 2019 8:03 PM

Dec 2018
SympathyRS said:
blessofcurse said:
Yes, it was confusing af and I have to agree, Kuromitsu is really pretty...

I have to agree too, I was completely hypnotized by Kuromitsu every time she appeared and I almost spent the entire show waiting for her appearances lol
May 19, 2020 4:08 AM

May 2014
It's amazing that what had such a promissing start ended up being so damn average.

If you cut out episode 3 to 10 you woud essentially have the exact same story since nothing important actually happened inbetween.

I mean if you dedicate 10 confusing episodes only to justify it in your last two with the 'reveal' of what was going on that doesn't justify the hours wasted on the previous stuff.

And let's not forget the complete tonal shift in the later episodes that made it feel like they got different directors with different visions, from a philosophical show, to the matrix, to a weird comedy.

6/10 I'd give it less but the action was good so it's only fair. But what a waste of a cool concept imo.
I've been here way too long...
Feb 3, 2021 11:11 AM
Jul 2020
the end of destroyed buildings around the forest shows that all scenes are not a dream
Kuromitsu did all of this , made kurou with immortal body and made all things like before benkei betrayed them and killed kurou before reach immortality
finally,it means that the unended cycle is over now , kurou and kuromitsu can meet again and live together forever.
Feb 3, 2021 11:12 AM
Jul 2020
Meliodas-22 said:
Please someone explain end of the anime because it was confusing

the end of destroyed buildings around the forest shows that all scenes are not a dream
Kuromitsu did all of this , made kurou with immortal body and made all things like before benkei betrayed them and killed kurou before reach immortality
finally,it means that the unended cycle is over now , kurou and kuromitsu can meet again and live together forever.
Mar 22, 2021 2:06 PM

Feb 2020
It was good animation at least
Story was confusing to begin with, but by the end its just becomes unfollowable.
Did some research on it source material, as I expected all the versions are different (original novel, manga or anime). Manga atleast has better ending compared to anime.

In the end I can only pity the original novel. Lesser known novel like this one get such a horrible treatment in the name of director's experimentation and nobody knows enough to notice

If anyone is searching for any sort of meaning or symbolism for ending, don't waste ur time. By the end the anime director stopped caring about the story, He just wanted to put up a mind screw somehow. It's probably a anime original ending where director trying to look smart but failing miserably which resulted in nonsensical ending. If 3 people with different vision are trying to script a 12 episode series without following original work this is what supposed to happen
AdampkMar 22, 2021 2:30 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 6, 2021 5:09 PM
Mar 2018
I love how divisive this story is. I want to say that anyone who can't follow the plot is either dumb or too distracted. But that wouldn't be fair. The clues that bind the truth together are subtle, and require a certain way of thinking to make sense of. It's almost like an entire language you need to know before you can enjoy the storytelling. And that language itself can only be learned by piecing together a greater puzzle, made up of other essential works of art.

Perhaps a good first step, for anyone who wants to better understand this anime, is to watch Arrival. There are a lot of similarities between the two works, and they almost communicate the same underlying message. It's all about the nature of time, of free will, and of fate. And whether we can cope with it.

Then another good frame of reference for observing this story is Westworld. Particularly the first season. It's all about the cycles of love and violence, and how the future looks very much like the past. And how unreliable our perception of sequencing becomes in that context. If we are to hope to understand anything, we must question everything. We must remember the future and predict the past. All the cards are shuffled, and we must assemble them in the correct order before we can find what's missing and what's extra.

And finally, perhaps the best help for coping with an amnesiac as a POV is to watch Memento. After watching these three things, then understanding Kurozuka becomes trivial. Most, if not all, the clues are there, if only one looks at the details. The shoes, the environment, the words... And the rest is easy to infer with some logical reasoning:

1) Person B been stabbed;
2) Person B is immortal;
3) Person B ages with time;
Conclusion: Person B is still alive but next time we see them, they will be older.

Now, there are some open questions. Does the cycle ever end? Perhaps. Kuon's body was supposedly completed, and the repeat of the first episode we see at the very end simply couldn't play out exactly the same if Kuro was already immortal. But then, perhaps there's a greater cycle, where Kuro escapes to a distant land, finds a new Kuromitsu and gives her his full immortality and finally dies completely. Then the new Kuromitsu repeats everything with a new Kuro.

Whatever the case, I really enjoyed the story, the art, the music, everything. The anime is far from perfect, but from what I've read it's actually better than the source material, so kudos to the involved.
Apr 28, 2021 5:44 PM

Mar 2016
A stylish psychedelic cerebral bloody samurai sci-fi arthouse action story. This is the kind of shit 'Japanimation' boomers thought all anime was. I loved it. Lots of credit given to the director/storyboarders for putting so much emotional weight into every second of this.
syncrogazerApr 28, 2021 5:54 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What happened after the first two episodes?

removed-user - Mar 2

4 by wiederherr »»
Mar 5, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 7 Discussion

kie_ - Nov 20, 2008

41 by iChante »»
Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 7, 2008

96 by Ballisto »»
Jan 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 8 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Nov 28, 2008

37 by OweynLupton »»
Jul 25, 2020 7:13 AM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Dec 15, 2008

36 by SilentSword114 »»
Jun 12, 2020 12:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.