Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2013 10:09 AM

Mar 2008

"Avant-garde"

TachiiApr 13, 2013 7:55 AM
Apr 12, 2013 10:14 AM
Mar 2011
ihateeveryone said:
Eh, people keep claiming that it's realistic, so I'm just going to post a comment here from an anime site that I follow:

gargamesh said:

Realistic as one would call it, but it isn’t really acceptable in any way, it’s not really realistic that there’s a severe lack of depth on the characters, look at it, there’s barely any shadows, if not, nothing at all, they all look like a solid slab of color, as one would most see here:

http://dalian.7thstyle.com/2013/04/pan2jij00047921.jpg" target="_blank">http://seventhstyle.com/goto/http://dalian.7thstyle.com/2013/04/pan2jij00047921.jpg

If one looks at her back, if not for the fact that there are students around her, one would have easily mistaken her for a certain object or sorts.

On the contrary, the backgrounds look way more detailed and eye-worthy (LOL, made up term), perhaps they put much more effort into the surroundings instead of the characters themselves, IDK, but it sure seems that way.

saeki actually look good in that pic/link.

i think it portrays "realisticly" in a way that even real pretty people does not look pretty all the time. certain angles, expressions, time of day (LOL) can make the prettiest people looks like crap

fans who hates the art only shows the ugly "still frame picture" of the art. ive seen a few posts in this forum where the characters actually look nice and can be categorize as "pretty"
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 12, 2013 10:35 AM

Apr 2011
yea I actually had a hard time spotting some of the funny looking stills, it seems like these people really went out of their way to get the most awkward shot. Like you said in real life you can get an awkward shot of good looking people. I think the anime realistically portrays people, but not in terms of detail but body proportions and shape. Also I think they are clearly making a point that not everyone is attractive. Moe' school anime literally have every single female in the anime look good. Which is always really funny when they're trying to portray an unpopular or "ugly" girl and she looks exactly the same as the others.

The mangaka had even commented how he didn't just want a traditional anime adaptation, and would have wanted something like a live action series. So this is what they decided on. The people who animated this show are very skilled and have a lot of gorgeous anime they have worked on. Everything is intentional, if you don't like it that's cool it's just not appealing to YOU. Saying it is just outright bad is ridiculous. Detail does not equal good art, so saying the faces don't have detail does not mean it's bad.
Apr 12, 2013 10:40 AM
Jul 2012
amginex said:
ihateeveryone said:
Eh, people keep claiming that it's realistic, so I'm just going to post a comment here from an anime site that I follow:

gargamesh said:

Realistic as one would call it, but it isn’t really acceptable in any way, it’s not really realistic that there’s a severe lack of depth on the characters, look at it, there’s barely any shadows, if not, nothing at all, they all look like a solid slab of color, as one would most see here:

http://dalian.7thstyle.com/2013/04/pan2jij00047921.jpg" target="_blank">http://seventhstyle.com/goto/http://dalian.7thstyle.com/2013/04/pan2jij00047921.jpg

If one looks at her back, if not for the fact that there are students around her, one would have easily mistaken her for a certain object or sorts.

On the contrary, the backgrounds look way more detailed and eye-worthy (LOL, made up term), perhaps they put much more effort into the surroundings instead of the characters themselves, IDK, but it sure seems that way.

saeki actually look good in that pic/link.

i think it portrays "realisticly" in a way that even real pretty people does not look pretty all the time. certain angles, expressions, time of day (LOL) can make the prettiest people looks like crap

fans who hates the art only shows the ugly "still frame picture" of the art. ive seen a few posts in this forum where the characters actually look nice and can be categorize as "pretty"

dont know if it was the same in the second ep, but aside from still frames, there were quite a few scenes in the first ep that the motion just looked terrible (dunno if it woulda looked that way reguardless of how the character was drawn, or if it was because they looked like masses of blobs with outlines
Apr 12, 2013 10:46 AM

Oct 2012
Nerdy_Old_Taco wrote:
Which is always really funny when they're trying to portray an
unpopular or "ugly" girl and she looks exactly the same as the
others.

Exactly right.

Lucky☆Star is a good example of this "rule" for anime. They are constantly
making references to Kagami struggling with her weight. So she is always
going on a diet but then failing. However, you can look carefully and all of
the girls are exactly the same width.

In anime it is okay to show girls of widely-varying height, but apparently it
is totally unacceptable to show thin girls and fat girls.

In Haruhi, they talk about how she is an extremely beautiful girl. But all
of the female characters in Haruhi are equally beautiful as far as I can tell.

I believe that there are general rules that apply to all anime series.
Apr 12, 2013 10:46 AM

Dec 2012
have a photo guys

Apr 12, 2013 10:53 AM

Oct 2012
The actor for Kasuga has many, many photos of himself posted online.
Note that he is both the voice actor and the rotoscope actor.

If you want to see all of them do a Google Image search for 植田慎一郎

His Japanese name is Shin'ichirō Ueda. His family name is Ueda.

It is extremely difficult to find photos of the others.

Here is his personal blog: http://ameblo.jp/ueda-shinichiroh/

Forget the URL for his blog? No worries...

Every single page of his blog contains the sentence: 植田慎一郎です。
okanaganApr 12, 2013 11:01 AM
Apr 12, 2013 10:56 AM
Jul 2012
slutbag said:
have a photo guys

they should have just done a LA if they wanted realism lol esp if they already had actors for the whole rotoscoping thing, woulda saved all this headache, and woulda looked better too
Apr 12, 2013 10:58 AM

Feb 2012
Hito420 said:
slutbag said:
have a photo guys

they should have just done a LA if they wanted realism lol esp if they already had actors for the whole rotoscoping thing, woulda saved all this headache, and woulda looked better too

And no one would've watched it
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Apr 12, 2013 11:05 AM
Jul 2012
I don't know if I should hate on this because of how dull the story and hideous the animation is, or just join the ostentatious pseudo hipsters over there.
Apr 12, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2011
Lolack said:
I don't know if I should hate on this because of how dull the story and hideous the animation is, or just join the ostentatious pseudo hipsters over there.

You realize how much of a douche it makes you sound like when you call someone a "ostentatious pseudo hipster" because they like something you don't?
FintanApr 12, 2013 11:57 AM
Apr 12, 2013 11:12 AM

Oct 2012
This is my favorite photo from his personal blog:

http://ameblo.jp/ueda-shinichiroh/image-11459170238-12396665194.html
Apr 12, 2013 11:14 AM
Mar 2012
It would be impossible to find a good actress to play Nakamura if they tried a Live Action. And the story sure would be changed, from high school to university or some shazz like that. Worth mentioning the
would also disappear.
Apr 12, 2013 11:16 AM
Mar 2012
okanagan said:

I'm so glad this was rotoscoped.
Apr 12, 2013 11:16 AM

Apr 2011
okanagan said:

I like this one
http://ameblo.jp/ueda-shinichiroh/image-11495819817-12468327521.html

Those blog pics made me really hungry lol
Apr 12, 2013 11:21 AM

Oct 2012
The sign on the wall says "No Smoking". 禁煙

But those girls are both smoking !
Apr 12, 2013 11:31 AM

May 2012
Hito420 said:
slutbag said:
have a photo guys

You can drop it or deal with it.

Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
Lolack said:

You realize how much of a douche it makes you sound when you call someone a "ostentatious pseudo hipster" because they like something you don't?

>>>> Infinitely better than being one the many indoctrinated by the moe culture.

Aku no hana has shown how bad it is, have something extremely different looking and see what happened, many going insane due to the rage LOL.

If theres something comedy gold here is them.
9988Apr 12, 2013 11:40 AM
Apr 12, 2013 11:46 AM

Dec 2012
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
Lolack said:

You realize how much of a douche it makes you sound when you call someone a "ostentatious pseudo hipster" because they like something you don't?

This ^
Apr 12, 2013 11:53 AM

Oct 2011
In what way do they look like real japanese people?

Have you seen the cast? Because I don't find these people ugly at all, unlike the anime versions.

That whole " they wanted to see cute anime girls " bullshit doesn't convince anyone.
Apr 12, 2013 12:06 PM
Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
Man, this guy screams a lot. And by the look of t]hings, he also has delusional thoughts which I'm not surprised about.

Ah, that is the angst talking. You had a little of that in the first episode when his friend took his book from him and the hero said "give it back you wouldn't understand it." Because of course HE is special and unique and oh so sensitive, and if only Saeki could understand that about him, who knows what she would do.

Though I would say I think we are going to find out the answer to that question pretty soon :-)
Apr 12, 2013 12:08 PM

Aug 2012
I want the sub already, can't wait lol D:
Apr 12, 2013 12:32 PM

Dec 2009
Amarrez said:

This scene was completely and utterly ruined beyond repair.

And so was this one, actually one of my favourite scenes in the manga.

It keeps getting worse and worse.
Apr 12, 2013 12:38 PM

Jun 2012
Apr 12, 2013 12:59 PM

Apr 2011
Luvrei said:
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:

You realize how much of a douche it makes you sound like when you call someone a "moefag" because they don't like something you do?

Not a single person here has called anyone a "moefag" or insulted them because they like moe'. Has it happened in some other thread? Probably. Not here though, so I don't get what your point is.
Apr 12, 2013 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
One guy on MAL chose that as his user name:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/moefag

Since he chose that name first, nobody else should be called that.
Apr 12, 2013 1:16 PM
Mar 2011
okanagan said:

LOL

i dont even understand whats so offensive about moefag? i mean i like moe animes too. i dont mind being called moefag
Apr 12, 2013 1:20 PM
Jul 2012
holy shit the art looks awful again!
Apr 12, 2013 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:

holy shit you are dumb!
Apr 12, 2013 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
amginex said:
okanagan said:

LOL

i dont even understand whats so offensive about moefag? i mean i like moe animes too. i dont mind being called moefag
Now, I'm no sleuth, but I think it just might have something to do with the inclusion of the word "fag". Just a hunch.
Apr 12, 2013 1:22 PM
Oct 2012
GoldenBRS said:

Really? I hadn't noticed. Why would you say that? Could you please explain, I am curious. Are you sure you just didn't download a bad 480 version? There is a reason they call those "eye cancers".
Apr 12, 2013 1:23 PM
Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
amginex said:
okanagan said:

LOL

Now, I'm no sleuth, but I think it just might have something to do with the inclusion of the word "fag". Just a hunch.

Nothing pisses me off more than being compared either to a bundle of twigs or when I am in England to a cigarette :-)
Takuan_SohoApr 12, 2013 1:27 PM
Apr 12, 2013 1:26 PM
Jul 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
GoldenBRS said:

Really? I hadn't noticed. Why would you say that? Could you please explain, I am curious. Are you sure you just didn't download a bad 480 version? There is a reason they call those "eye cancers".

Stuartxtr7 said:
Amarrez said:

This scene was completely and utterly ruined beyond repair.

And so was this one, actually one of my favourite scenes in the manga.

It keeps getting worse and worse.

That's why.
Apr 12, 2013 1:28 PM
Mar 2011
GoldenBRS said:

are you really expecting it to get better?
Apr 12, 2013 1:29 PM
Jul 2012
amginex said:
GoldenBRS said:

are you really expecting it to get better?

No lol.
Mar 2011
Red_Keys said:
amginex said:
okanagan said:

LOL

LOL it doesnt matter. you can interpret it as "gay" (happy) for moe? haha
Oct 2012
GoldenBRS said:
That's why.

Lets see if I am getting this straight. Is it because they didn't do this in black and white like the original manga?
Apr 12, 2013 1:31 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:

That's why.

It is the same art as the first episode why would someone expect a different art than the first episode is beyond me.
The art is better than your sig I can say that much.
Apr 12, 2013 1:32 PM
Mar 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
GoldenBRS said:
That's why.

Lets see if I am getting this straight. Is it because they didn't do this in black and white like the original manga?

*imagining the current art in black and white*

hmmm that might actually work better. i think i'll DL a few episodes and convert it to BW
Apr 12, 2013 1:33 PM
Jul 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
GoldenBRS said:
That's why.

Yes.
Apr 12, 2013 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Coming here after watching ep2 and the bickering is still raging on as expected ^_^

I was actually in awe seeing this:

That dog is the prettiest dog I've seen in anime, period. If all the characters in this anime were cats and dogs, Aku no Hana would get really high score! xD The dog looks so life-like that you can even feel the breathing from it. The background is very vividly detail. As I've said in my mini-review on ep1, this director really focusing on adding 3-D depth in the anime, and it shows here. This picture demonstrates the advantage of rotoscoping when it is used with full potential: the characters are 'captured' within the real background. Thus, they are naturally blend in with the environment, instead of having artist imagine character models in a made-up background. Even though the different is normally negligible, with a keen eye, you can feel that rotoscoping environment is more pleasing.

With this picture in mind, I wonder why the director chose to illustrate human differently. The dog is pretty because it has all the features of a real dog. Rotoscoping without a full recognizable nose, or extra skin textures is really a perverse halfway between real life and anime style. No wonder why people don't like the art. They are confuse on whether they were supposed to perceive this as life action, or anime. In addition, the lack of lines makes the animation quality fluctuate pretty widely. Sometime, the character looks good, other times, they look ridiculous. Nagahama certainly had enough money to 'fill in the blanks' so to speak. Why wouldn't he do it?

My guess is he was actually trying to create a whole new art style, which exists in the middle of life action and 2-D animation. Rotoscoping and CGI are the two methods to achieve this. The new art style has some unique features: clunky 12 fps, faceless characters from far-away view point (demonstrate a keen focus on depth perception again), bland character designs within beautifully colored background (usually, anime choose to blur BG for the characters to standout. Here, BG is almost always showed with the same, or better amount of lighting), and most important of all, the realistic eye and mouth movements. This art style maybe off-putting to many. But within the context of this anime, the style works really well. I can continue to explore this point once subs is out.
Apr 12, 2013 1:37 PM
Oct 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
It is the same art as the first episode why would someone expect a different art than the first episode is beyond me.

Isn't that the popular definition of insanity: "Doing the exact same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result"?

What does that say about the art complainers?

To be fair, I am not a fan of the art either, and I completely understand the hostility in the first episode thread, it was completely justified. But if you all hate it so much why the hell did you watch the second one? Is that taking being an "M" just a little too far?
Apr 12, 2013 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
Here is the full text of Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal in the original French:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6099/6099-h/6099-h.htm

Having read ahead in the manga, I don't want to give away any spoilers.
However, I strongly suggest that you don't read it unless you don't mind
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER and SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER and getting
SPOILER'd.

- - - - - - -

The book was first published in 1845 and the original title was actually
"Les Lesbiennes". When the book was re-published ten years later, it
was given the new title "Les Fleurs du Mal". The translation of "Les
Lesbiennes" into Japanese is 「レスボスの女たち」.
okanaganApr 12, 2013 2:28 PM
Apr 12, 2013 2:23 PM

Oct 2010
Haven't watched it yet (waiting for a subbed stream), but just scrolling through this thread I found this:

symbv said:

I loled.

Will watch it soon, but it doesn't seem to have changed any opinion so far... Hope I can find a thread to follow now.
Apr 12, 2013 2:30 PM
Jan 2013
Berzin said:
I was so wrong to drop this. The screenshots I saw have had me laughing for a solid 10 minutes and now i'm weezing in pain. This stuff is golden! A comedy to be remembered for years down the road!!

True. This anime and these threads are my ab workouts
Apr 12, 2013 2:38 PM

Dec 2012
The more I listen to the OP, the more I like it

It has a drunken-guy-with-broken-voice feel to it xD
Apr 12, 2013 2:39 PM

Mar 2008
Polychrome said:
In what way do they look like real japanese people?

Have you seen the cast? Because I don't find these people ugly at all, unlike the anime versions.

That whole " they wanted to see cute anime girls " bullshit doesn't convince anyone.

Only Sawa doesn't seem like herself.

ThangLong said:

That dog is the prettiest dog I've seen in anime, period. The dog looks so life-like that you can even feel the breathing from it. The background is very vividly detail.

:rolleyes
TachiiApr 13, 2013 7:58 AM
Apr 12, 2013 2:47 PM
Jun 2010
It seems the haters here have switched strategies and are now laughing at how "bad" it is. I'm hoping they will give up and move on before the end (so it's easier to find the comments from people who something interesting to say), but this is the internet and I know better than to expect that.

Anyway, I think this episode moved along nicely, although now that the characters are being fleshed out more I'm finding more to dislike about them. Kasuga's guilt is too over-bearing, and Nakamura's wickedness seems too obvious and cliche. And the final scene seemed like something out of a manga (because it is) and felt out of place in the otherwise realistic tone of the story. (The very fact that the author would use the MC's tripping face-first into boobs as an important plot point makes me question the story's merits.) Overall, my stance on the show has not changed from the first episode: interested, but cautious. I hope the story will wow, but I don't expect it to.
Apr 12, 2013 3:00 PM

Jun 2007
Well, this episode did it for me. Definitely gonna keep watching it until the end because it really hooked me in. The story-telling and the atmosphere is great as it was last episode. As for the animation...I'm still undecided about it. Now I'm almost certain that the character animation is intentional, but it's still way too jarring, incredibly alien really, in contrast to the great background art (such as the details pointed out some of the posts above mine). There are still 11 more episodes so I'll have plenty of time to reflect on it. The contrast is so great that, from the first two episodes anyway, it would be hard to argue that the character animations were due to budget constraints. Again, whether I can say it is a good anime or not can only happen when I see the last episode, but for me it's looking auspicious so far.

Also, Nakamura's face is much more bearable to look at in this episode. Not necessarily attractive...but it's better than the face from the first episode, which was really the only shot of her face. It'll do; at least the VA fits very well.
Kjeldoran109Apr 12, 2013 3:09 PM
Apr 12, 2013 3:05 PM

Jun 2007
Nucksen said:
And no one would've watched it

I don't know about that - live action stuff is really popular in Japan, and with a manga that's relatively popular they could have easily gotten a nice budget and some real actors (Oguri Shun...maybe not given how popular he is nowadays). And yes, Japan actually does pump out some great live action series from time to time.
Apr 12, 2013 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
ThangLong said:
As I've said in my mini-review on ep1, this director really focusing on adding 3-D depth in the anime, and it shows here.

wh

But there is NO shading, which DETRACTS from giving the characters visual depth.

They essentially look like mobile cardboard cutouts.

Anyway, still not really sure what to think about this show. Manga-readers, how many pages did this episode cover? Are we done chapter 1 yet?

There were some parts where the mouth movements looked REALLY strange to me, but I'll have to watch it again to point out specific scenes. And I don't feel like rewatching the episode right now, haha.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Yesterday, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.