Forums
New
Mar 31, 2013 9:26 AM

Feb 2012
The Official Review Discussion Thread

Writers

Ducat_Revel (ANIME/MANGA Department)
ForgoneReality (ANIME Department)
Valkyrion (ANIME RELATIONS LIST Department)
VentusCross (ANIME Department)
Metamorphius (MANGA Department)
Sushitheawesome (Name Change/ANIME Department)

Editors

ForgoneReality [1st Editorial] (ANIME Department)
Popka [1st Editorial] (ANIME Department)
Metamorphius [1st Editorial] (ANIME Department)

VentusCross [1st Editorial] (ART Department)
Amberleh [1st Editorial] (ART Department)

Emmrys [2nd Editorial] (ANIME/MANGA Department)
Sh0wdown [2nd Editorial] (ANIME Department)
Saekobusu [2nd Editorial] (ANIME/MANGA Department)
Nil- [2nd Editorial] (ANIME/MANGA Department)

Disclaimer: If you are interested in joining this process, please post in this format:
Name: (Username)
Position: (Position)
Department: (Anime/Manga)

The Purpose

The purpose of our team is simple: to produce non-biased, understandable, and informative reviews for titles we believe could benefit from our writings. As well as titles that have yet to receive an in-depth review. Our target is to avoid preconceptions, and establish our own set of standards. We will look at and understand the series as a form of art within its own medium and genre, where we can give an in-depth explanation of the Video, Audio, Plot, Characters, Etc. The point is to help people decide whether or not the title is something that they themselves would find enjoying and worth their time. Or if they're looking to become more informed on the Anime/Manga industry and what stands behind it; we'll offer that too.

We will look to split each title between groups of workers as opposed to a single individual. This will help us avoid a bias outlook and will hopefully ensure work of the highest quality.

Writer: The idea behind being a writer is to do exactly that: write. Your job will be to compose a review either from scratch, or to compile the written statements of other members from previous poll discussions (always optional). You are to present the basic format and information most important to the editors to undergo their scrutiny.

Disclaimer: You must have seen the anime and be extremely familiar/knowledgeable of it for this position.

Editorial Department 1: This department looks to improve on the original work/composition provided by the writer. One or more of you will be looking at the information and examining it for ways of improvement. Removing the unnecessary and adding the necessary.

Editorial Department 2: The job of the second editorial department is more in-depth and technical then that of that of the first, it is your job to review the review itself, make note of things that need to be changed or contradictions that occur, if any. Grammar, punctuation, and cohesion are to be polished at this point as well until it is deemed worthy as the “highest level of presentation possible”. This team can also consist of people who have never seen or read the series. In this way, they are better able to evaluate the review as ‘helpful’ or ‘not helpful’, much as an outside member of MAL would.

Head Editor: This is more or less the position of an Admin/Officer who is a direct representative of the Club itself. This position exists so that there is someone who can make a solid statement acknowledging that the work presented before them is “worthy” of representing the club and its members.

Notes: Editors although need not be ‘Masters’ at writing, it is much more preferred that you have decent knowledge of proper presentation format when it comes to such works. This is directed more so towards the second editorial department.

It is also beneficial to have some knowledge of the title itself and anime as a whole to be working on the title that will be represented in the review.

The Writers' have voice there Opinions!

Ducat_Revel:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Mind Game, The Tatami Galaxy,

ForgoneReality:
Kaiba, Usagi Drop (Positive)
Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! (Negative)

VentusCross:
Casshern Sins, The Big O, Afro Samurai

Editing Department

Tatami Galaxy:
Author: Ducat_Revel
Editors: metamorphis, Sh0wdown, Emmrys, Saekobusu
Kaiba:
Author: ForgoneReality
Editors: metamorphius, Saekobusu
Afro Samurai:
Author: VentusCross
Editors: Sh0wdown, Emmrys, Amberleh
Usagi Drop
Author: ForgoneReality
Editors: Sh0wdown, Emmrys, Amberleh
Mind Game
Author: Ducat_Revel
Editors: Popka

These are not the final teams/departments that will be handling these titles, these are to help keep track of who would be interested in working on what, so we may make a conclusion on what titles will be published.

Things to remember

EDITORS PLEASE POST YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THE TITLES GIVEN, WE NEED TO HEAR YOUR OPINIONS ON WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE PRODUCED!

Please refer to the MAL review guidelines when taking part in any of the work processes, and get accustomed to what is and isn't allowed as content in the review: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=575725

~Love, Saeko. (This Post will constantly be updated with information deemed important.)
A special thanks to ForgoneReality for assisting in grammatical corrections throughout this post, as well as thanks to all participating members and upcoming participating members who will be taking part in this process.
SaekoBusuOct 9, 2013 10:36 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 31, 2013 9:31 AM

Oct 2012
Wow this is up already. The things we did in the short time span of our officers' absences (Alabastre and Maegil) are amazing.
Mar 31, 2013 9:33 AM

Feb 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Wow this is up already. The things we did in the short time span of our officers' absences (Alabastre and Maegil) are amazing.

This is more so just a basis of figuring who would want to take part and what we would plan to do with everything once we had everything set up, I believe the officers will be the ones making a final say as to what they think, but I'd like to have reliable information that could be presented to them seeing as this idea for the most part has seen positive feedback from members.
Mar 31, 2013 9:40 AM

Jun 2011
Good idea, we were sort of cluttering up the OAaO thread. I think this is going to end up taking off and become a full-fledged thing, so it's best to have this in advance.
Mar 31, 2013 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
I think I'll first and foremost be an editor.

In addition to that, since manga always get less attention than anime, I'd like to do a few reviews for (probably mostly shorter) manga.
Mar 31, 2013 10:53 AM

Jun 2011
As some of you know, I went ahead and established the club's own User Account so that we would be able to submit reviews. I just finished filling out the anime list for all the titles in our club. There aren't any scores for our completed series, but rather, they are tagged with "Enlightenment" , "Unremarkable" , or "Plebeian Slime". Scores will be added to a series or movie after we have completed and posted a review. Any title that is currently in the polling process goes into the 'Watching' section of the anime list.

In regard to meta, I don't know how extensive our manga list/review catalogue will be. I know Nid has an extensive manga list, so that part will probably be left up to you two, and whoever else joins in.
Mar 31, 2013 10:54 AM

Dec 2012
If it's al right with everyone else, I'd like to be a writer.
And if possible, maybe an artist. I may not be as experienced as Amber, but I'd like to use this opportunity to improve my skills.

If there's anything else you'd want me to do that's fine as well.
VentusCrossMar 31, 2013 11:27 AM
Mar 31, 2013 11:01 AM

Oct 2012
Mar 31, 2013 11:07 AM

Jun 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
@ForgoneReality - Neane made a thread with our enlightened manga titles. That and our Relations list should comprise our manga catalogue.

Yeah, I'll add those at some point, (or more likely let those who care about manga more than me add them.) I was mostly commenting to agree with meta that the manga reviews will be in lesser demand than the anime ones.
Mar 31, 2013 11:13 AM

Oct 2012
I was actually hoping to review Onani Master Kurosawa and Solanin at some point so I don't really think that manga reviews are going to lack a demand. But, if I would try looking at it from someone else's eyes, it would probably look like how you see it. So I see what you mean.
Mar 31, 2013 11:14 AM

Aug 2009
@Forgone

Ducat already pointed out that there's the enlightenment list for manga as well. I'll pick stuff to review from there, probably something shorter for starters, like Believers, Devilman, Harukana, Hi no Tori, Subarashiki Sekai and such.
I also have a few other manga I think could qualify for Enlightenment list, so I could suggest those too.

As for reviewing relations, I'm not so devoted that I'd be willing to suffer through hundreds of chapters just to review them, so I'll probably leave that to others.
I will, however, definitely do Mahouka, but I think I should wait a bit for some more chapters.
metamorphiusMar 31, 2013 11:19 AM
Mar 31, 2013 11:21 AM

Jun 2011
@Ducat & Meta - You're right, I spoke preemptively. I personally have a lesser interest in manga, and was just seeing that stance. No one knows how this is all going to unfold once it gets going, so there may very well be an equal or greater number of either types of reviews.

Do you think there will be much cross-over between the anime and manga editing/writing groups? We should probably clarify that from now on when we state what positions we want.

ForgoneReality - Open to all positions on the Anime Review Team, with an emphasis on the writing and 1st editing stage.
Mar 31, 2013 11:28 AM

Aug 2009
ForgoneReality said:

Do you think there will be much cross-over between the anime and manga editing/writing groups? We should probably clarify that from now on when we state what positions we want.

I honestly don't know. I can only speak for myself.
In anime department, as I said, I'll be an editor, but I'd like to retain the possibility of jumping in as a writer if something interesting arises.
In manga department, I'll do writing.
Mar 31, 2013 11:29 AM

Feb 2012
ForgoneReality said:
@Ducat & Meta - You're right, I spoke preemptively. I personally have a lesser interest in manga, and was just seeing that stance. No one knows how this is all going to unfold once it gets going, so there may very well be an equal or greater number of either types of reviews.

ForgoneReality - Open to all positions on the Anime Review Team, with an emphasis on the writing and 1st editing stage.

The cross over will more then likely be a majority of 2nd Editorial as well as Head editorial, as their knowledge of the work being written about is slightly less as opposed to the 1st, 2nd they're about the technical stuff.

Also, Feel free to not limit what you'd want to do by what we're "lacking", there is always possibility of multiple teams being put together much like an actual editorial department (One Author may have multiple editors, One editor may be covering multiple pieces of work.) Once we've given ample time for people to voice their opinions and such we can move into a direction of moving groups.

I imagine the process will be something along the lines of two Writers will each present a work that they wish to do (two titles.) and then editors will choose which work they'd like to be a part of, this could of course be anime/anime, manga/anime, manga/manga, etc.
Mar 31, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
Is there another spot for an artist, or is Amber going to be the only one?
Mar 31, 2013 11:32 AM

Feb 2012
VentusCross said:

I just put that because she mentioned it, if you'd like to as well I'll update it with the same title.
Mar 31, 2013 11:33 AM

Aug 2009
VentusCross said:
Is there another spot for an artist?

I should think there is. Amber is not familiar with every anime/manga on our lists, and besides, having more than one outlook/opinion is always welcome.
Mar 31, 2013 11:34 AM

Jun 2011
VentusCross said:

Art critiquing goes under the writer's job, and the position of writer is the most transient of all, so I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities. I mean, in the simple case that a writing member hasn't seen the title, it instantly goes up for grabs to everyone else.
Mar 31, 2013 11:35 AM

Dec 2012
SaekoBusu said:
VentusCross said:

I just put that because she mentioned it, if you'd like to as well I'll update it with the same title.

Please do. I'd appreciate it. Thanks Saeko.
Mar 31, 2013 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
Once again, I'm going to have to touch the technical concerns.

Is there a format to a review? Like the first part will be intro then story then characters then art then sound (unless it's a manga [except Yotsubato! which, for all the awesome reasons, comes with a sound track]) then wrap up OR will it just be up to the writer? This will be a uniform vs style kind of debate.
Mar 31, 2013 11:42 AM

Jun 2011
Ducat_Revel said:

Is there a format to a review? Like the first part will be intro then story then characters then art then sound (unless it's a manga [except Yotsubato! which, for all the awesome reasons, comes with a sound track]) then wrap up OR will it just be up to the writer? This will be a uniform vs style kind of debate.

There will be a certain degree of consistency from the editorial refinement, but a lot of it is going to come down to the current writer. One formulaic way of reviewing wont be able to bring out the best writing skills in every single contributor.
Mar 31, 2013 11:44 AM

Feb 2012
Ducat_Revel said:

This is heavily debatable as I feel that many writers, when allowed to write within their own style will put out greater work. However I do believe that to some extent there should be a guideline as to how it's presented.

It's also possible that the original work presented by the writer could be written within his own styling if he feels that this is most comfortable for him/her, and the Editorial departments can make it meet the requirements to fit a uniform guideline.

There's many ways of presenting a piece of work and the way in which the people behind it work for it to be presented as such, It's a good question and I'd like to hear opinions as well.
Mar 31, 2013 12:19 PM

Sep 2012
Seems everyone's mostly in agreement that there's more than one way to present a good review, and that the editorial department can form a loosely consistent format.

That aside, I think would like to take part mainly under editorial 1 for anime.
Mar 31, 2013 1:20 PM

Dec 2011
I'd like to work under editorial 2 for anime or manga. As far as punctuation and coherency goes, I can quality check those areas. I'm not sure yet how well I can appraise the actual content of the review (besides grammar) to note what needs changing, but I'm willing to learn and improve.
Mar 31, 2013 1:31 PM

Jan 2013
I'd like to help out in some way, though i'm not quite sure how. I could perhaps give a point of view from someone who hasn't seen the anime, since I haven't seen very much.
No signature to see here~
Mar 31, 2013 1:37 PM

Jun 2011
silverheart99 said:
I'd like to help out in some way, though i'm not quite sure how. I could perhaps give a point of view from someone who hasn't seen the anime, since I haven't seen very much.

That actually would help. Like I mentioned earlier, it would be important to have people read the reviews who hadn't seen the anime before we posted them. It would ensure that they legitimately were helpful to someone thinking of watching the series.
Mar 31, 2013 1:40 PM

Nov 2011
You're all better at my job than I am. Stop making me feel useless!!

I kid although you are all better at my job than I am.. This is great guys, I'm glad to see you all working so hard together.

Is there anyway to set up an IRC channel of sorts so we can all speak to eachother real-time?
Mar 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Feb 2012
Alright a temporary set up for the time being I guess, but you're going to be going:

http://www.quakenet.org/

At the top of your screen on the header, is "Web Chat" Click on that, you'll be asked for a nickname and channel information.

Nickname: Preferably your MAL Username
Channel: AnimeUberElite

You'll be connected to an IRC server that we can use at any time. You'll see me in there if you're in the right place.

Edit: You don't need to log in/create an account for this, simply just enter a nickname when asked to along with the channel and access is granted.
Mar 31, 2013 1:54 PM

Jun 2011
Haha! Thanks Saeko!

Nice suggestion Amber, this should help.
Mar 31, 2013 2:13 PM

Sep 2012
Not to sound like an imbecile, but I can't figure out how to type things on the IRC channel.
Mar 31, 2013 2:14 PM

Feb 2012
There's a small box at the very bottom of your browser that spans the entirety of it, just click and type ^_^
Mar 31, 2013 3:01 PM

Apr 2009
I stickied this thread, just making sure everyone can always find it.
Great idea guys, I love seeing you this productive.

I'd love to give my input as well, but university will keep me very busy in the next few months so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 31, 2013 4:07 PM

Aug 2009
I'd like to participate, but I don't know if "occasional reviewer" would suffice. Plus, I'm also busy with studies, so I don't think I can right now. This is an awesome idea, though.
Mar 31, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2011
Well, the chat just finished, and it didn't end up being much of a review meeting at all, but it was a lot of fun. As mentioned, we should try for a serious one (or just another fun one) again sometime.
Mar 31, 2013 10:06 PM

Oct 2012
Are there anymore questions on the methods? Any disapproving scowls looking down on our noble quest to enlighten the masses? If not, should we get started yet?
Mar 31, 2013 10:19 PM

Feb 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Are there anymore questions on the methods? Any disapproving scowls looking down on our noble quest to enlighten the masses? If not, should we get started yet?

I'm ready whenever you guys are.
Mar 31, 2013 10:20 PM

Mar 2009
I just saw this thread now, and I am very interested in what you all end up doing. Great work. Together, we shall rewrite what it means to be a true patrician!
Mar 31, 2013 10:21 PM

Oct 2012
AlabastreAizo said:
I just saw this thread now, and I am very interested in what you all end up doing. Great work. Together, we shall rewrite what it means to be a true patrician!

Do you want to join, Alabastre? What position do you want?
Mar 31, 2013 10:22 PM

Feb 2012
AlabastreAizo said:

We will lead those who previously had poor taste to redemption, and offer them a saving grace. Salvation for all plebes.
Apr 1, 2013 5:45 AM

Jun 2011
SaekoBusu said:
Ducat_Revel said:
I'm ready whenever you guys are.

I'm good to go as well. I'm sure this will be a massive work-in-progress, so it'd probably be best to just learn as we go along.

We have to decide on the anime for our very first review, see who's interested in being on that title, and then I think we can start from there.
Apr 1, 2013 6:16 AM

Oct 2012
Ghost in the Shell (movie) is probably an anime title I'd love to work on.

Although, I'd like to hear other suggestions and other writers first before I jump into this. This shouldn't be the only review proposition.
Apr 1, 2013 6:47 AM

Jun 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
Ghost in the Shell (movie) is probably an anime title I'd love to work on.

Ha, I actually just wrote a paper on that movie. It's far from useable as a review though, there's like, two pages on the Ghost City scene alone, and none of it laid out in review format.

Plus, I don't know that we should be tackling that behemoth of a classic right off the get-go. Though I would love to do that review at some point. For now, I suggest going for something a little more modern, or perhaps something that's grabbed a bit of popularity. We could do Gankutsuou, Kaiba, Usagi Drop.

Or for contrast, we could do a negative review. I would absolutely love to demolish Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!, because the top review on that page is grossly misinformed, and the second top review is just straight up lying.
Apr 1, 2013 7:12 AM

Oct 2012
ForgoneReality said:
I don't know that we should be tackling that behemoth of a classic right off the get-go. Though I would love to do that review at some point. For now, I suggest going for something a little more modern, or perhaps something that's grabbed a bit of popularity. We could do Gankutsuou, Kaiba, Usagi Drop.

Good point. A titan like GitS would be a tricky start.
Apr 1, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
We'll be watching Red Line in this Thursday's stream, that's always an opportunity to take advantage of.

I'll let the writers give the input on what they'd like to write about as I'm just an editor ^_^
Apr 2, 2013 2:28 AM

Feb 2012
The Original Post Has Been Updated, It holds information regarding all people who wish to be part of the review productions, PLEASE READ IT and REPLY HERE.
Apr 2, 2013 2:46 AM

Oct 2012
If ForgoneReality really wants Kaiba, then I'll swap mine to Mind Game. I wasn't too sure with Kaiba in the first place.
Apr 2, 2013 3:13 AM

Feb 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
If ForgoneReality really wants Kaiba, then I'll swap mine to Mind Game. I wasn't too sure with Kaiba in the first place.

Alright, I've updated it ^_^
Apr 2, 2013 3:16 AM

Oct 2012
SaekoBusu said:
Ducat_Revel said:

Alright, I've updated it ^_^

Thanks. All we have to do now is to wait for buyers editors who want to deal with the titles.
Ducat_RevelApr 2, 2013 3:22 AM
Apr 2, 2013 3:45 AM

Feb 2013
About the titles, among those selected i only know Usagi drop so i can't really comment writer's choices. If possible and if those are really to be chosen i'd like to have the time (one week or two?) to watch Afro Samourai and/or Tatami Galaxy and be part of the edition teams.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.