Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2014 10:17 AM
Mar 2012
I think the old man went to hell and the young man went either to heaven or back to earth.
Let me explain why.

Why the old man deserves to go to heaven:
I seriously got nothing, sure you might interpreted that the geezer was playing death and let the young man win but that is highly questionable as he could have just forfeited from the start.

Why the old man deserves to go to hell:
O'boy i got a whole list for this section.
1: He pressed the button without the young man's consent and quite hasty too.
2: He's around 90 years old and had a pretty good life but he wont forsake the few years that he might have left just because he wants to eat his wife's pickles before he dies, wich if I am correct he did indeed eat right before he died.
I dont know about you but I am starting to doubt this man's integrity.
3: He was a bully and had no regrets about being one.

Why the young man deserves to go to heaven:
hmmm, i think he deserved it more because he had a fair reason.
He wanted to live not just for himself but to apologize to his lover and let me just pressure the fact that he really regreted his actions.

Why the young man deserves to go to hell:
1: He cheated on his lover.
2: He was pretty aggro to the old man and the bar attendants and tried to justify his behaviour by telling himself that it was not his fualt..
Its not really a plus, but its understandable considering the circumstances.

In the end I think the old man went to hell with no regrets, he was a bastard for his entire life and enjoyed every seconded of it.
The young man however went back to earth or to heaven.
He did alot of things wrong in the end but regretted it all and I think that forgiveness is always granted to those that ask for it.

Let me just finish by saying that this is just my opinion and that I am really sorry about all the grammatical and spelling errors in this post.
wait8whatApr 16, 2014 10:49 AM
Apr 28, 2014 10:42 PM

Aug 2013
That was interesting, I think this would have worked really well as an episodic series.
Apr 29, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2014
Watched this I while ago, but only found this thread today. I must say the show really impressed me for something so short, and was quite remarkable. The fact that we don't know which of them went to hell or heaven makes it that much more riveting to think about. I'd certainly be thrilled if they continued this as an episodic series, though I do wonder if the story could withstand further prolonging.
May 2, 2014 8:02 PM
Jun 2009
Just rewatched this today and still as awesome.

A few things I don't get with people's comments here:

1) The elevators/masks: They are meaningless.
- The two use the same elevators to get in and to leave...
- If they had a meaning, the girl wouldn't ask...
2) That the old man was a bully: we have no clue what that fight was about, all we know is he fought some kid while a kid himself... but why? We cannot say...

In the whole place, only the young one was 'bad'... He only fought or care about fairness for him...
No one said that winning the game would send people to heaven.
I agree that winning the game probably sends people to hell, and so the young one changed his destiny by going to hell instead of heaven as he could have done.
May 3, 2014 8:01 AM

Jun 2013
There are some really interesting interpretations here, especially the ideas where the winner goes to hell and the loser goes to heaven. This is because I think it was predetermined that the old man would go to hell and his flashbacks show that maybe he deserved to go there, and the young man would have gone to heaven because he was young and regretted his mistakes, so this pool game was to give the old man another chance, and the young man another test to see how they would use their morals in this situation. Hence, in the end the young man lost because he resorted to unfair violence - the old man couldn't have been him in a fist fight.

Another idea: The woman wanted to play a game of billiards with the bartender to see if they could figure something out - perhaps this was to decide who was the better one among them (by better I mean just generally better, a form of hierarchy - they have never lived so they don't really have experience of understanding each other or being equals). But, the bartender had reached this conclusion a while back and keeps himself in control by giving her no answers - meaning he can be the 'better' person. This would mean that in reality, even the bartender doesn't know where they are going, what the purpose of this was or anything. It has been said before that the elevator doors are meaningless since they used the same doors on entry so maybe the bartender was told to just send them to the same elevator doors on the way back, and give no answers. In short, maybe this whole billiard thing was simply entertainment in a waiting room before they carry on their journey to the afterlife.

This idea was full of guesses and stuff - it's not a real explanation, just an interesting idea. Anyway, maybe they left so many options and interpretations open so that we would discuss it like this - for no particular reason but to make it more interesting.

Overall, this was an amazing anime. I think the way it was so mysterious but simple was amazing. The whole thing was set in a single area (a few joined rooms and a wash room) and with only four characters yet so much happened and it was so interesting - loved it!
May 4, 2014 2:54 AM

Aug 2013
That was worth the time, I want see more
May 4, 2014 10:47 AM

Jan 2010
Two Theories:

1: The game wasn't the actual judge. The actions based on the game determined who would go where.
Than young guy may have pocketed the final ball but the young man lost the true game however that did not make him more evil than someone who does not regret his evil actions like the old man who bullied and killed people.

When he lost it and confessed (more or less) and showed regret than he accepted his fate. From there there i believe the bartender had always the intention of sending the young man to heaven he just needed proof of regret.

The old man walked up to the man and said something like"i used to kill men who acted like that" than smirked in the elevator because he loved the thrill of evil.

Theory 2:
God had always the intention of bringing two people into the bar who arn't actually equal but made the bartender lie about it. One person was always truly evil and the other had done some bad things. It is planned that the winner is the man would would realize his wrong and accept his fate and regret.
~Lurna
May 19, 2014 9:39 PM

Nov 2013
I think the strings were going to take the young guy back to reality, because The Bartender said "you changed fate, if you enter the elevator you will understand the outcome."[The young man was fated to die, remember he got stabbed] As soon as the old man hears this he walks over to the bartender.[Seems like he realized something] The old man probably asked to switch places. Also If you look as the young man is crying and being dragged to the elevator, the old guy does a tsk noise like this kid doesn't understand that he getting a second chance at life. Then the last clue is during the bartender hug scene he says "Its okay now you can rest." The young guy was never dead he just got stabbed he was probably bleeding out on the bed. [purgatory]
Lastly, The old man probably smirked because he was already dead from the beginning thus he caused the young man to miss out on his chance to go back and thus truly winning the game in the end. The cue balls show no pulse in the hearts beats, thus telling us that both have died. In the end I think they both went to heaven. Ironically, The man wining about how life's not fair and no ones equal on earth basically got him a place in heaven for him to "Finally Rest."

Theory 2: Maybe the elevator takes you where you think you should go. The game is to make you realize your true colors and Ironically you judge yourself.
CountChristopherMay 19, 2014 10:05 PM
Re-watching the classics.
May 31, 2014 1:50 PM

Mar 2013
Outstanding.
Jun 5, 2014 5:41 AM

Mar 2013
What was the twit?That they're dead?
Jun 5, 2014 8:31 PM

Jul 2013
hmm, since the old man seems to let the young one win by lying on the floor and the smirk at the end let me think he got what he wanted, indicates to me that he'll go to heaven. The bartender says that you know what'll happen when you entered the elevator. Maybe he can then be judged to go to hell too because he tricked the young one since the smirk looked evil?
From my point of view the young one clinged too much to his life and put it above all else so i personally would put him into hell or back to life. He clearly lost the judging game though since it's implied heavily that who wins the match doesn't matter.

At the end i think it's more of an open end but tells something about our values since we judged the two men and then speculated acoordingly if they will go to hell or heaven.

Also, does someone know what the clue that the flashback of the young man goes backwards and the old man goes forward should tell us?

Random Anime Blogs | 1 2 3 4
Jun 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Nov 2012
9/10 loved it.

So here are my thoughts:

Okay we all now they both were already dead and the result of the game didn't matter. The place is obviously a world between life and afterlife.
I think it was the way the had to deal with the situation which was important. The old guy played fair and didn't bitch around while the young guy freaked out, used violence and tried to cheat, just like he did while alive.

So far so good, now why was the old guy lying so long on the ground, if he has already been dead and woke up knowing he died? Maybe he figured out how the game is working and tried to cheat, too, but that's probably not the case because he would have done the same thing as the young guy. I think he was just dreaming his life and not faking his death.

And now my theory and conclusion about the elevators and the end:
That's really hard to tell. The old man maybe asked the bartender if he send the young guy back to life, since he clinged so much and let's be honest, living is worse than staying in hell for eternity. The old guy probably went to heaven. He didn't give a damn about his fate and he didn't seem to regret anything, meaning he can now rest peaceful forever with no grudge over him and thats basically heaven, do you agree?

The thing I didn't understand at all was the bartender's "You two are equal".
Well they weren't equal at all during life, and that's why the young guy paniked.
Maybe they are equal because they are dead. It's the same thing as in Death Note: Death is what makes everybody equal, no matter how you lived.
But why do people go to this world anyway? Why compare dead beings? Can't god multitask and judge people right during their death? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Oh and about the smirk. I don't think it was mean't to look evil. He probably was just really satisfied and reliefed he was a good person.
Jun 21, 2014 2:17 AM
Jul 2010
From my point of view, the old man went to heaven and the young guy went to hell.

Since he won the game, he was given a new chance to get back to life (and the strings would show him the way to leave that place). But he gave that speech, and the old man influenced the bartender, saying stuff like the young guy was obviously tired from his life and that it would be better for him to remain dead.

Why would he be going to hell? Because he cheated at billiards and beat the old man to win.
Why the evil grin? Because the old man got revenge by sending the young man to hell, while he's totally clean and going to heaven.

When they arrived in that kind of purgatory, it has been said that they were both equal. Their actions alive didn't matter, as the masks above the elevators are only here to trick us.

That's what makes the most sense to me.
Jun 26, 2014 1:00 PM

Apr 2014
One of my best 20 minutes spent watching anime.

Honestly, I think there is no correct answer to where they went. Rather the purpose of this anime was to make you think, which it did.
your waifu is shit
Jun 30, 2014 7:39 AM

Apr 2014
I think the young man went to Heaven and the old man to Hell.

Because when the waitress questions which one went to which to the bartender and he reply that he cannot answer.

When she left, the bartender was staring at the two heart billiards balls that he was holding. One is red that belongs to the old man and the other one is blue that belongs to the young man.

So I guess the red one is hell and the blue one is heaven.

It was very interesting I will score it 10/10.
Black_NoteJun 30, 2014 7:49 AM
Have a nice day!

Aug 9, 2014 5:04 PM

Dec 2008
I would've loved a one or two cour of this!

That adjudicator is HOT!

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 15, 2014 4:40 PM

Jun 2014
11/10 After the end I was speechless
Aug 16, 2014 3:24 PM

Jun 2013
Well that was short but definitely worth a watch. I think those masks on top of the elevator suggests who went to heaven and who went to hell. 7/10
Aug 29, 2014 7:44 AM
Dec 2013
Damn, i really really really enjoyed this. Great atmosphere and very intense. Loved it.

Loved the psychological aspect. The guy freaking out and reviewing over his life but man, did he become a dick when he cheated on his super cute girlfriend. The old guy was awesome, i loved how chilled he was. As for the afterlife, i think the old guy went to hell because on top of the elevator, you can see a devil mask and a white mask which discriminates between a devil and an angel, at least thats what i think. But that smirk was very suspicious so i have no idea right now, lol.

9/10 wished it was 2-cour, favorites-worthy.

Ryugen said:
What the younger guy said really touched me on how people aren't equal. I'm surprised to find such better values in a 24 minute episode than a 24 episode series.
I completely agree, what he said touched me inappropriately as well. Was actually deep.
UchihaAug 29, 2014 7:47 AM
Sep 20, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
wow that ending. I loved how they left it open to interpretation.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Oct 10, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, such a hidden treasure I find this anime. Didn't disappoint a bit. Even though it's only 25 min it's really deliver its message well. And enough to make me think a lot about it. Good job Madhouse, I hope you're making this kind of anime again rather than Mahouka.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Oct 31, 2014 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
that was great
Oct 31, 2014 2:01 PM

Oct 2013
Damn, that was actually pretty cool. That was a powerful ending, too. Love the open ending. I also don't think there's a correct answer; it's meant to make the viewer speculate without giving them the truth.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 1, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2009
open ending meh i hope the TV series will have conclusive ending though or at least some easily noticeable hints as to what their fate is

this one is true though

Nov 2, 2014 2:27 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty awesome episode. Can't wait for the series!!
8/10
Nov 3, 2014 12:16 PM

Jan 2014
Well done. I enjoyed it a lot :)
Nov 4, 2014 8:11 AM
Jul 2012
That granda tho~ *A* (lol he was a gangsta~)

i dunno who went where too T^T
the bartender's cute

Happy that dey gonna make the anime next year~ <3

8/10
Nov 5, 2014 1:33 PM

May 2013
Only really watched it cause I heard that there will be a series based off of this but I got to say I was really impressed. It just makes me a bit antsy now to see the series now.
Nov 5, 2014 9:09 PM

Nov 2013
Good shit! Getting hyped for the Death Parade!

I don't understand why they had the whole "if you lose you die" deal when they were already dead on arrival. That part just confused me. Maybe the loser goes to hell and the winner goes to heaven?

That grandpa was pretty fucking badass. I wonder if he went to hell, that malicious face he made at the end makes me believe so. Not so sure about the other guy though the bartender did say they were on equal footing.

4/5
FunnyRatmanNov 5, 2014 9:23 PM

Nov 5, 2014 9:11 PM

Nov 2013
Berzin said:
This was an interesting watch it was like Kaiji meets Jigoku Shoujo! I know it's a training project but i really hope they continue this a bit further someday.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Nov 9, 2014 12:06 AM
Jun 2013
This did the most for one episode. So many unanswered questions. I want to know more about everything. Both of their lives and what the old guy said at the end. Like everybody is saying I think the old guy probably went to hell. The only thing I'm really going on is the masks on the elevators and that it would be interesting. This really left an impression on me. I would love to see a full series
Nov 17, 2014 7:35 PM

Apr 2014
That old mans smirk at the end was great:)
---------My Profile------------
Dec 1, 2014 6:06 AM

Oct 2013
this was crazy i wonder how they're going to do the show it?
def looking forward to it!!!!
[/quote]
Dec 12, 2014 9:00 PM

Dec 2013
That was freaking amazing!

The dark vibes coming off this...the concept is really unique and has an awful lot of potential, there's just so many interesting themes that could be explored with a setting like this...

Animation and Art were just Top, specially the backgrounds, gloomy and gorgeous, aesthetics were beautiful, great color palettes, really sets up the mood. Overall this looks pretty damn amazing!

Soundtrack was Great, don't have much to say with only 20 minutes though, i liked what i heard.

Characters looks cool, i like the bartenders, very intriguing.

Also this is an Anime-original! Which means Madhouse is free to do what they like, i can't really word it well, but the implications and advantages of this being an original anime are huge! Now i'm really hyped for Death Parade!

That twist at the end, the younger man's speech and the way the flashbacks were played...i'm surprised to find such quality in 24 minutes, when series with 24 episodes (or even longer) fail to deliver something this genuinely good.

9/10
PriestSlayerDec 12, 2014 9:35 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 15, 2014 11:06 AM

Oct 2014
So... Death Parade based on this kind of OVA?

A very interesting and twisted view about human's life. Kinda reminds of Mushishi, but when Mushishi conveys its message gently in a "classical" way, this one conveys its message in a more "retro" and modern way. Very interesting, and fresh.

4.9/5, the only reason I still give it that score is for the room of improvement in the upcoming series.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 15, 2014 7:25 PM

Oct 2014
Wow! Freaking liked the open-ended ending! Death Parade hype train, count me in!
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Dec 16, 2014 10:28 PM

Sep 2014
Feeling hyped for Death Parade!
The afternoon has gently passed me by
The evening spreads its sail against the sky
Waiting for tomorrow
Just another day
God bid yesterday goodbye...
Dec 20, 2014 5:11 PM

Dec 2008
ChaoticSilence said:

I don't understand why they had the whole "if you lose you die" deal when they were already dead on arrival. That part just confused me. Maybe the loser goes to hell and the winner goes to heaven?

The Bartender never said if they lost they'd die. That's just what the young man assumed. Neither the old man or the young man were aware that they were dead until they started fighting.
-------
While watching, I wanted to hate the young man which I did. But at the end, I didn't like the old man either. I really want to know what he told the Bartender and what that smile was all about, since it was pretty disturbing. Overall was great though. Can't wait for the series.
Dec 21, 2014 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
I'm really getting hyped for the TV. 10/10.
Dec 22, 2014 4:18 PM

Dec 2013
I found this extremely interesting. Wished we learnt who went where...

8/10
Dec 23, 2014 5:26 AM

Jun 2013
This was a gripping watch..At first, I thought that it was pacy since the match was going to get over within the first half but then came some neat and slick twists that caught me by surprise.. After re-watching the first few minutes again, it is clear as a day that death was the cause that they arrived at the Queen Dekim.. Hmm..

This solitary episodes makes us ponder on who's right and who's wrong. Surely it looked as if that the Old Man went to hell.. Also, when you compare the scene where that man came from and the scene where that Old Man left to, you find out that it is the one and the same elevator.. Meaning, that he came from Hell in the first place is what I believe.. O.o
Dec 23, 2014 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
Very interesting and thrilling, MADHOUSE delivers again, now we just gotta wait for the series for more answers.
Dec 25, 2014 5:59 PM

Feb 2014
No wonder this is hyped! This was definitely amazing. The whole idea that Queen Decim acts as a limbo and thet a game decides if they go to heaven or hell is so intriguing!

The ending confuses me. I was so sure that the old man went to hell and the man went to heaven, but that smirk will haunt me. What does it mean?!?! I need to know where they went!!

Can't wait for the series! 4/5. I hope they do an episode or something on the backstory of Decim for the series. I think it would be nice to know.
nanoflowerDec 25, 2014 6:03 PM
Dec 26, 2014 11:55 AM
Dec 2014
That. Was. Simply. Great! From the way the bartender put the fish tank to subtly tell that they two are trapped even before telling them, to the way the cigarette just so happens to run out as his patience does that same… Yuzuru Tachikawa fully knows what he’s doing! I was blow away with the balls and how they coordinated perfectly to the players; the younger man trying to sink in the red balls, but is represented by the blue ones – very clever, considering that he burns with the passion of youth, as he heart races, but is destined to be forever in the tranquil bliss of heaven. The same goes for the older man, but revered; his heart beats slowly and his skin is colder, just as he approaches life, and his actions doom him to the brimstone.

The difference in the generations is also something to note. The older man's widow shows respect by sitting where he sat, while the younger man's girlfriends takes charge and kills him.

Death Parade is looking to be great!
EntertheSolJan 5, 2015 7:21 AM
Dec 28, 2014 6:04 PM

Aug 2013
Nobody's talking about the room with the corpses, so do we all just assume those are the dead bodies of people who refused to play the game?

I can't wait for the TV series. I give this about a 9.5/10, but will round up to 10 in my rating.
Dec 30, 2014 3:02 PM
Sep 2013
That was very good start that was only 25min so I wonder what the tv series has in store. Now I know why this is getting hype.
Jan 2, 2015 7:36 AM
Dec 2014
tamayamawuv said:
Nobody's talking about the room with the corpses, so do we all just assume those are the dead bodies of people who refused to play the game?

I can't wait for the TV series. I give this about a 9.5/10, but will round up to 10 in my rating.

I would assume so, considering that they, under the circumstances, did not make the wise choice. I just wounder what MD952 on the piano player's arm and MA107 on that one person's foot mean. If they do have many bodies, they should just call it a chasm...

Alternatively, the numbers represented on various parts of the body could be akin to model numbers that are printed on dummies made by the bartender in order to “forcibly guide” the individuals to participate…
Jan 3, 2015 6:30 AM

Dec 2012
Nice job Madhouse ! The mood of this show was really immersive.
All the mystery around this game and the decision were good.
I am looking forward to "Death parade" !
Jan 3, 2015 8:55 AM
Dec 2014
x_at_home said:
Also, does someone know what the clue that the flashback of the young man goes backwards and the old man goes forward should tell us?

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it has to do with their view of, and by extension of how they clasp onto, life? The younger man gasps life vigorously, and experiences every moment of it fully. He remembered suffering his girlfriend's slap.

The older man has...for lack of a better word...withdrawn...

As a side note, in every flashback of the 30 year old, blue is somewhere: a pen in high school, the elephant on his shirt as a young toddler and the color he is wearing while he meets his girlfriend. Even the color choice of his outfit in the bar: blue over pink, is just what he and his girlfreind wore while they played pool together.

The old man is draped in a blue, divine light as he is in the elevator, but that is evidently not the case as he steps out and into the bar. Red is only seen when the old man punches and hits the young man with the pool cue.

(Formatting is not something I do well...:/)
EntertheSolJan 3, 2015 5:29 PM
Jan 9, 2015 11:45 AM

Jan 2010
Now we know who went where. In first episode of Death Parade was explained what the masks over elevator doors mean -
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Any clues?

ScreamInAnguish - Aug 16, 2021

1 by Irumakun22 »»
Aug 16, 2021 7:51 PM

» Related Anime

Oliver007 - Jan 11, 2015

4 by ChrnoTodd »»
May 5, 2015 11:01 AM

» New TV series titled Death Parade

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2014

14 by gustavogbi »»
Jan 2, 2015 8:22 AM

» Preview~

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2013

3 by Nidhoeggr »»
Mar 10, 2013 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.