Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 9, 2013 8:41 AM
Feb 9, 2013 8:44 AM

Jan 2013
Kudos to metamorphius, please; I just patched them together.
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 9, 2013 8:57 AM

Oct 2012
Serious props to metamorphius. Even though I already complemented him for his stellar work, a second shout out wouldn't hurt.
Feb 9, 2013 9:21 PM

Aug 2009
No need to thank me too much, it wasn't that much of a work.

Maegil said:
As a bonus, the fonts also improved...

Yeah, that's because previously I had forgotten to apply anti-aliasing so I fixed that when I resized the banner.

As for changing/rotating banners, thanks, Maegil for making the gif.

Downside to gifs is the image quality so, I'll mention that in addition to this method, it is possible to use a PHP image rotator which will show different image every time the page is reloaded. You can find a simple image rotator here
http://www.marcofolio.net/webdesign/php_random_image_rotation.html
Or just copy the code from here
http://d.alistapart.com/randomizer/rotate.txt
Of course, this means you need to host this as a php file as well as the images somewhere. I understand that is probably too much of a hassle for most people, so you can use the rotator I set up on one of my domains I don't use. Just copy this in your sig (without spaces in the tags, ofc)
[ img ]http://malosevjezbam.netne.net/imagerotate.php[ /img ]

Just a test to see if this thing works:

P.S. Maybe I'll make a couple of more banners for variety's sake when I have time and inspiration, i.e. God knows when.
metamorphiusFeb 9, 2013 9:30 PM
Feb 10, 2013 1:53 AM

Aug 2009
You guys are awesome.
Feb 16, 2013 8:47 AM

Jan 2013
I was thinking of doing a draft letter to be posted in the club's images and be sent to whomever anyone believed to be in need of Enlightenment - something in this spirit: http://www.namsense.com/images/Draft%20Notice.jpg

For it, we'd need a nice, official-looking coat-of-arms. Is anyone up to the job?

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 16, 2013 3:38 PM

Mar 2009
Maegil said:
I was thinking of doing a draft letter to be posted in the club's images and be sent to whomever anyone believed to be in need of Enlightenment - something in this spirit: http://www.namsense.com/images/Draft%20Notice.jpg

For it, we'd need a nice, official-looking coat-of-arms. Is anyone up to the job?

I really hope someone takes up your idea. That's genius.
Mar 10, 2013 5:44 AM

Jan 2013

>Ducat_Revel | 3 hours ago
>Goes to show. In anime, there's a ton of crap in between good shows.

>Maegil | 14 seconds ago
>That's one take on the pic. To someone new, however, it's meaning would more likely be that the anime in the middle are great...
I think this would work better if there were no top image, and the LotGH banner were transferred to the bottom.

Mar 10, 2013 6:03 AM

Aug 2009
Maegil said:

I can't believe I missed this.
I may be able to make something. Not today, but in a few days. Do you have any requirements how it should look like?
Mar 10, 2013 6:41 AM

Jan 2013
I was thinking on something including a pyramid - we are "elitists" and aim to "enlighten", so a Illuminati pun seems in order... In any case, you can take inspiration from real world sources.

Mar 10, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
Here's the coat of arms. I'm not sure how "official-looking" it is or how well I incorporated the pyramid theme, but this is how it turned out.

I went for a relatively simple look because I'm lazy, i.e. I didn't want to embellish it too much or add tons of heraldic animals.
To shortly explain what some elements mean...
The pyramid in the center of the shiled is, as Maegil suggested, partly an Illuminati joke and therefore also a symbol of enlightenment. In addition to that, the top of the pyramid (the gold coloured part) represents the best of the anime/manga (i.e. our Enlightenment lists) which may quantitatively be small but stand at the top and "shine" unlike those below.
At the topmost part of the coat of arms is an angry-looking owl (it is stylized, but I hope it is recognizable enough). The owl is at the top as the symbol of wisdom one attains when one reaches enlightenment. It is also a guardian of the top part of the pyramid (the Enlightenment anime/manga).
The motto is a pun - it is a reference to the famous "e pluribus unum" and can be translated as "of many, the best" (refers, ofc, to the very best the anime/manga medium has to offer).
OK, that's enough pretentious nonsense for now.
If you want me to change something, do say so. If not, I hope the coat of arms is good, or at least, decent enough.

Btw, there's something I said a while ago
metamorphius said:
I'll make a couple of more banners for variety's sake when I have time and inspiration.

So, there's a couple of new banners.

With these two the number of banners is 6 IIRC and I think that's enough variety from me.
metamorphiusMar 10, 2013 3:34 PM
Mar 10, 2013 5:49 PM

Aug 2009
Awesome. We should make that as our new club picture, though I'm not sure if something should be added more to it. Either way, I love it.
Mar 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Jan 2013
Thanks, that was fast! Since I'm allowed to suggest modifications, I'll take the liberty:

I understand that the whole coat-of-arms is highly modern-stylized, but the pyramid ends up looking too much like a corporate logo. The color scheme is also too dark and lacks contrast- I'd recommend using the blazon rules of tincture making it, for instance, blue azure, a pyramid proper, bordure or.

The motto banner should be larger, so it can be read when shrunk. I'd suggest making it twice as broad, and as wide as the limits of the mantling, and moving it to below the escutcheon, covering at most only the tip of the base (from which, appending an order such as a book would reinforce the association with culture).

Displacing the motto would free up space inside the escutcheon, allowing to enlarge and center the pyramid vertically.

The top of the escutcheon's shape doesn't transmit the idea of a tower - you'd do better to cut it off, surmount it with a tower, and place the owl as crest (but take care not to make it a mural crown - or maybe not).

Finally, the owl is too big, and overlaps the mantling.

Sorry for all the assertiveness...

Mar 10, 2013 6:20 PM

Feb 2012
Those new banners are great as well! I'm gonna have to steal borrow the GitS one :D
Though I should get to meddling with my own since I finally got my hands on Photoshop again
Mar 11, 2013 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
Thanks, people.

@Meagil
Don't worry about assertiveness. That's not the problem. The problem is I don't have Illustrator and this is all made in PS, so I cannot freely resize (actually, upsize) everything without fucking up the resolution (for example, enlarging the banner). Also, I am a fool who merged some layers without thinking x.x But I'll see what can be done, though, since it's Monday today I can't promise when - it could be tomorrow, it could be for the weekend.

Maegil said:
The top of the escutcheon's shape doesn't transmit the idea of a tower

Well, that's understandable because the shape of the shield was not meant to transmit that idea. It's not like I sat and carefully pondered every detail.

But, I'm not sure how well the tower with the owl atop would look like. Or that may be my taste speaking, because I've never fancied towers on coats of arms.

Maegil said:

Finally, the owl is too big, and overlaps the mantling.

That's done on purpose. I'll move it, but I think I'll leave the size same or make it just slightly smaller.
metamorphiusMar 11, 2013 3:15 AM
Mar 13, 2013 9:07 AM

Mar 2009
moeslasher said:
LOOK
I've made another awesome one

I do not understand it. Could you please explain?
Mar 13, 2013 9:42 AM

Aug 2009
I like the idea (and the choice of colour), but not really the choice of the picture. At least, the aspect ratio seems off.

AlabastreAizo said:

I do not understand it. Could you please explain?

Here's how I understood it. You know how in Evangelion, there's a liquid called LCL (I'm not getting into explaining what the liquid exactly is as that would be spoilerific for those who haven't seen the anime) in which the pilots are submerged and how it allows for the pilots to sync with Evas? Now, LCL is orange-ish which lead the fans to often refer to it as "tang" (Tang is a type of orange drink), so I guess the expression "get tanged" comes from that as well.
metamorphiusMar 13, 2013 9:51 AM
Mar 13, 2013 11:21 AM

Oct 2012
moeslasher said:
LOOK

I'd argue about having an Evangelion banner. Our current six Mawaru, Tatami, Madoka, LOGH, Berserk, and GITS: SAC are rather well done shows, and while Eva is intelligent, symbolic, and to an extent brilliant, it's quality is highly debated. It's verdict among anime critics is split 50/50. A show with a wobbly status like Evangelion shouldn't represent our illustrious band of the hawk elitists.
Mar 13, 2013 12:06 PM

May 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
moeslasher said:
LOOK

I'd argue about having an Evangelion banner. Our current six Mawaru, Tatami, Madoka, LOGH, Berserk, and GITS: SAC are rather well done shows, and while Eva is intelligent, symbolic, and to an extent brilliant, it's quality is highly debated. It's verdict among anime critics is split 50/50. A show with a wobbly status like Evangelion shouldn't represent our illustrious band of the hawk elitists.

try to face up the reviews

"...I'm not going to try to convince anybody who already isn't an Eva fan that this film will change your mind about the series, because it won't. But the truth of the matter is that this film is a masterpiece in not only anime, but in animation and filmmaking in general. It is not afraid to ask some of the most philisophical questions we can ask ourselves as people and is not afraid to have us, the viewer, realize the answers even as the characters on screen attempt to do the same. If you are going to see this movie, watch the 26 episode show first, or you'll have no idea what is going on. End of Evangelion is one of the most artistic and beautiful movies I have ever seen, animated or not, and is a mandatory movie to watch I believe for anybody who considers themselves a fan of anime or film in general...."

Review from BatOtaku13

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
moeslasherMar 13, 2013 12:09 PM

Mar 13, 2013 12:10 PM

Nov 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
moeslasher said:
LOOK

This. I'd also like to point out that the picture looks stretched and is hard to discern. In addition, the font color you chose it absolutely hideous. You might want to look into color theory. The actual font is problematic too as is the typesetting.

You should play around with design more and maybe look up some tutorials.
Mar 13, 2013 2:15 PM

Mar 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
moeslasher said:
LOOK

This would be more why I don't understand the banner. Also "tang'ed".
Mar 13, 2013 4:16 PM

Jan 2013
Oh, that was Evangelion?! I couldn't tell for all the distortion...

Tang'ed: I guess this is what people are complaining about when they speak of "too much localization". Having the pun explained, I can now understand why you chose an orange font; regrettably, it still clashes.

Mar 13, 2013 4:28 PM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
Oh, that was Evangelion?! I couldn't tell for all the distortion...

Tang'ed: I guess this is what people are complaining about when they speak of "too much localization". Having the pun explained, I can now understand why you chose an orange font; regrettably, it still clashes.

Yeah after the explanation it makes more sense, but it still looks bad. I think maybe if there was an outline around the font or if he chose another font it would look better.

With that said, I'm going to whip up a banner myself, mostly because I want one from one particular series and I have a very graphic-designy picture from the series that I think would make a lovely banner. Probably not as awesome as Meta's stuff, but oh well. =)

Edit: By the way- What font is everyone using for "The Anime Uber elitists" part?
AmberlehMar 13, 2013 4:33 PM
Mar 13, 2013 5:47 PM

Aug 2009
Amberleh said:

Edit: By the way- What font is everyone using for "The Anime Uber elitists" part?

I already replied to Amber, but if anyone else wants to know the font is Visitor TT2 BRK which can be downloaded here:
http://www.fontstock.net/5972/visitor-tt2--brk-.html
Mar 13, 2013 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
Thanks Meta!!

Okay so which do you guys prefer- White or faded pink?

By the way, I totally don't expect anyone else to use this banner. I know it's totally full of pink. You can use it if you want, of course.

I just wanted an Utena one for myself. <3
AmberlehMar 13, 2013 6:14 PM
Mar 13, 2013 6:17 PM

Aug 2009
NP, you're very much welcome.

Hah, I just knew you'd make an Utena banner! I really like it and for once, I don't mind that it's pink in the least. Besides, the combination of pink and black always works well.

Amberleh said:
Okay so which do you guys prefer- White or faded pink?

Faded, definitely. It's perfectly noticeable, yet it doesn't dominate the picture but instead complements it.
metamorphiusMar 13, 2013 6:20 PM
Mar 13, 2013 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
Great. Another banner. I'm going to slowly turn into a banner whore because of this.

Amber: I don't mind if it's pink. I'd still eat it up. Still trying to understand meta's image rotation thingy so I can include all 7 banners, including Utena. But when I do, it'll be amazing!
Mar 13, 2013 7:48 PM

Aug 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
Great. Another banner. I'm going to slowly turn into a banner whore because of this.

As if that's a bad thing.
I can even make you a personalized banner if you have a request since I've got some free time. Which I should probably use to work on the coat of arms but eh, I think I'll procrastinate with that.

Ducat_Revel said:
Still trying to understand meta's image rotation thingy so I can include all 7 banners, including Utena. But when I do, it'll be amazing!

You can just use the link I posted in this topic earlier - it should be working. I also just uploaded the other three banners there too (yes, Utena as well).
I think the (limited) bandwidth on the domain I set the rotator at had been used up last month, so the rotator probably didn't work, but it is working now. And if only you use the rotator as a sig, the limit shouldn't be breached again.
metamorphiusMar 13, 2013 8:07 PM
Mar 13, 2013 8:11 PM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:
I can even make you a personalized banner if you have a request since I've got some free time. Which I should probably use to work on the coat of arms but eh, I think I'll procrastinate with that.

Well isn't this just the frosting on the cake. I may have to take you up on that. Currently, I'm conflicted between Cowboy Bebop, Mushishi, or Monster. Probably Mushishi though. I just can't deny Ginko.

metamorphius said:
You can just use the link I posted in this topic earlier - it should be working. I also just uploaded the other three banners there too (yes, Utena as well).

Done and done!
Ducat_RevelMar 13, 2013 11:32 PM
Mar 13, 2013 9:43 PM

Nov 2011
Awesome! Glad you guys like it!

Meta- I guess I'm predictable, eh? Haha. To be fair, Utena has such GREAT imagery, especially with the new-ish box set art that was released (One of these pieces is what I used) so it really lends itself to graphic designy stuff like this.

By the way, for anyone interested, a great place to get fonts is www.dafont.com

I get like all my fonts there and I could spend forever just looking through them all.
Mar 13, 2013 9:47 PM

Mar 2009
May I make a request? GTO banner? With Onizuka smoking like this.

Or perhaps an Akira banner?
Mar 13, 2013 9:47 PM

Mar 2009
Amberleh,

That banner is super stylish. I dig it.
Mar 13, 2013 10:52 PM

Oct 2012
AlabastreAizo said:

I fully support this. GTO's opening ranks as one of my favorite openings in anime. It's incredibly edgy and filled with attitude.

moeslasher said:
Review from BatOtaku13

I don't see how this review could change anyone's view. It's just an End of Evangelion admirer praising the show without any solid stand to base the praise from. The Setokai Yakuindomo pic made me smile though. :D
Ducat_RevelMar 13, 2013 11:45 PM
Mar 14, 2013 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
Probably Mushishi though. I just can't deny Ginko.

AlabastreAizo said:

They will be made, in a couple of days probably.
Mar 14, 2013 10:18 AM

Mar 2009
metamorphius said:
Ducat_Revel said:
Probably Mushishi though. I just can't deny Ginko.

AlabastreAizo said:

They will be made, in a couple of days probably.

I knew you would answer my request. Thank you!
Mar 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Aug 2009
Banners are done.

For Ducat

For Alabastre

Unfortunately, an HQ version of the picture you asked for is not available (since the show has never been remastered), so I had to do what I could with this one. I managed to fix colours and sharpness a bit, although I'm still not sure if the result is any good. But anyway, here it is:

Just some random bonuses

Since Akira was mentioned as well, I decided to make it, but I wanted it to be different from the rest, so I went with a minimalist approach. I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought the idea to be interesting.
So, here's Akira

And while I was at it, I made a minimalist banner for another anime from our Enlightenment list. I'm sure you can recognize it.

And that's it. I think I've had enough banners for a while xD

P.S.
I haven't forgotten about the coat of arms, I'm working on it now. V.2. should be done later tonight.
metamorphiusMar 15, 2013 11:06 AM
Mar 15, 2013 11:17 AM

Jan 2013
Although Italian isn't my strongest language I'm almost certain that "nella" is wrong, it should be "alla"; as it is, I think it translates to "welcome in the family"

Mar 15, 2013 3:54 PM

Mar 2009
Metamorphius,

You have really outdone yourself. Thank you.
Mar 15, 2013 6:36 PM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:
Banners are done.

meta, this is just awesome. Thanks a ton. And yes, I really like the fact that the "blinded" is blinded.

Plus, we now have 11 banners. It's enough to satisfy anyone who'd want one. Just awesome.
Ducat_RevelMar 17, 2013 10:34 AM
Mar 15, 2013 7:18 PM

Aug 2009
Wtf is with MAL? Pagination seems to be broken again, so I can't see the fourth page in the topic. I don't know if others will even see this post.

@Alabastre
@Ducat

No problem, you're welcome. Glad you like them.

Maegil said:
Although Italian isn't my strongest language I'm almost certain that "nella" is wrong, it should be "alla"; as it is, I think it translates to "welcome in the family"

Yeah, it does translate as "in the family", it's just that in my language we say "in" so that mislead me to use the same preposition in Italian. I always make mistakes with prepositions, in any language.
Anyway, corrected version's below.

Coat of arms version 2 is finally finished.

I tried following Maegil's suggestions AND making the whole thing work, so I ended up changing most of the things and going in a more "classic" way with the design.
The tower really didn't fit, I tried but I didn't like the result so I abandoned that. The pyramid is kinda undefined, but I think it's at least better than the previous one. I'm not sure about the colour though.
Speaking of colours, I hope this colour palette is more vibrant and contrasting.
The old owl was replaced with a new one because it didn't fit the rest of the design, yet I didn't want to completely give up on using an owl. I'm not sure how I feel with the result, but this one was the best option.
I'm open for suggestions about the pyramid colour/form, the size of the motto (is it large enough?) etc. I won't be redoing the whole thing again though, I simply don't have time.
metamorphiusMar 15, 2013 7:23 PM
Mar 17, 2013 10:17 AM

Aug 2009
Just posting to fix the pagination problem. Goddamn MAL!
Mar 17, 2013 10:33 AM
Mar 27, 2013 1:43 PM

Sep 2012
Ooh, a Baccano! banner? Now I have to get in on this too.
Mar 28, 2013 3:41 AM

Oct 2012
Oh the wonderful colors!

Ducat_RevelMar 28, 2013 3:45 AM
Mar 28, 2013 3:56 AM

Aug 2009
Popka said:
Ooh, a Baccano! banner? Now I have to get in on this too.

Yes, go and contribute to spreading love enlightenment in MAL forums.

Ducat_Revel said:

According to the omniscient eye of the great color spectrum, a purple, an indigo, a yellow, and an orange banner are left to complete the rainbow connection. It's so deliriously pretty to look at! Drool before it!

That sounds like a challenge! Why did I have to read it?! Now I won't have peace of mind until the rainbow is completed.
Let's see...Juuni Kokuki or TTGL could be orange, Tsukimi no Ie or Haibane Renmei yellow, Perfect Blue indigo and NGE purple.

Well, when I have time and a lot of inspiration, I may try to complete it. I can't promise anything though, but we'll see.
metamorphiusMar 28, 2013 4:06 AM
Mar 28, 2013 4:46 AM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:

That sounds like a challenge! Why did I have to read it?! Now I won't have peace of mind until the rainbow is completed.
Let's see...Juuni Kokuki or TTGL could be orange, Tsukimi no Ie or Haibane Renmei yellow, Perfect Blue indigo and NGE purple.

Well, when I have time and a lot of inspiration, I may try to complete it. I can't promise anything though, but we'll see.

Ducat has successfully infected metamorphius with the color bug. Level up!
Apr 2, 2013 4:11 PM

Feb 2012
I would like to pass thanks to metamorphius for his fantastic work on my signature, It's greatly appreciated good sir!
Apr 2, 2013 11:39 PM

Oct 2012
SaekoBusu said:
I would like to pass thanks to metamorphius for his fantastic work on my signature, It's greatly appreciated good sir!

Great to see a Monster banner.
Apr 9, 2013 2:26 PM

Aug 2009
As per ForgoneReality's request, I've made a gif with all banners combined.
Well, actually, not all are there as I didn't include those three which were made by request (from Ducat, Alabastre and Saeko). I consider those individual banners of their respective users.

Anyway, here's the gif.

It also includes two new banners, which I promised I would make (to complete our rainbow of banners). They cover orange and yellow colours. Which leaves me with two more (indigo and purple) banners to make, but I'll leave those for some other time.

And here are the two new banners separately.

P.S.
@ForgoneReality and anyone else who intends to use the gif banner

I suggest you save and rehost it, lest if be deleted.
metamorphiusApr 9, 2013 2:32 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.