Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 22 23 [24]
Apr 6, 1:49 PM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
Reply to Spiral26
@WIIXAnd
Ok I get what you meant now, I just felt that comment was a bit excessive ahahah.

As for why Gurren Laganna is so well recieved there are many different reasons:

-it’s a love letter to the Super Robot genre, very popular in the 90s, so most people that liked that style probbaly appreciate GL.

-many people probably watched when they were around the same age as the mc or when someone important went missing, so they probably found it very easy to relate.

-it’s not about the “power of friendship”, it’s about self confidence that in the case of mc was misplaced in other characters instead of himself up until ep 11 if I remember correctly.

-most people don’t start with the expectations of great twists or complex plot, GL wants to tell the story of a mc influenced by others’ ideals. Don’t get me wrong there are twists and plot but they are more in the form of characters death or expansion of the lore rather than something like Code Geass.

-the structure of the show and the symbolisms fits very well what it wants to convey, there are some themes related to maturity in facing dreadful situations, the responsabilities of humanity, the convergence and acceptance of opposite ideals.
But all of this is wrapped in an over the top action show, if this first layer isn’t your cup of thea is hard to appreciate the rest of the show, it makes everything less belivable.

-production value is high, there’s no denying here, besides 1 or 2 episodes the show is well animated and it has its own unique style. It still looks quite new despite being from 2007.

There is more probably but right now that’s what come off the top of my head.
As for me, I liked all of the elements above, plus I appreciate when a series has big tonal shifts but can still keeps its ground on emotional moments when necessary.
I even knew what the final battle was going to look like (spoilers usually are a big deal to me, as they lower my enjoyement) but I was still captured by the characters, the lore and the weird over the top feel of the world.

On a side note, yeah Ichigo wasn’t bad, and about the mystery of DITF… weren’t those aliens just a cheap copy of Anti-Spiral that came out with no build-up? I thought they should have kept things more grounded that times around.
@Spiral26
I see
tbh most of these reasons have no value to me or make me hate it even more like I already said I hate mecha and it doesn't matter if its quality was considered good in its year, I watched this in 2020 not 2007, I hate symbolism and lack of sense/logic so it's certainly not for me.

many people probably watched when they were around the same age as the mc or when someone important went missing, so they probably found it very easy to relate.

well, this probably could mean that it's oriented toward younger audiences? I already said it was childish in my og comment xD

and for ditf, I wasn't talking about the villains, there was some cool mystery around ep 13-16 I think but it doesn't really matter.
and even If I was talking about them, I watched ditf before kill la kill and ttgl so for me it was the first one to have this idea :D
Apr 8, 11:01 AM
Jun 2020
Reply to WIIXAnd
@Spiral26
I see
tbh most of these reasons have no value to me or make me hate it even more like I already said I hate mecha and it doesn't matter if its quality was considered good in its year, I watched this in 2020 not 2007, I hate symbolism and lack of sense/logic so it's certainly not for me.

many people probably watched when they were around the same age as the mc or when someone important went missing, so they probably found it very easy to relate.

well, this probably could mean that it's oriented toward younger audiences? I already said it was childish in my og comment xD

and for ditf, I wasn't talking about the villains, there was some cool mystery around ep 13-16 I think but it doesn't really matter.
and even If I was talking about them, I watched ditf before kill la kill and ttgl so for me it was the first one to have this idea :D
@WIIXAnd
makes sense, everyone is looking for different things in a show so I get why the positive wouldn't matter if they are not appealing to you.

WIIXAnd said:

Kinda? It's a coming of age story so I think it can be oriented towards a wide age group, like from 14/15 to 20 something mainly. Even my parents liked it and they are well over that range so it's not a strict rule of course.

WIIXAnd said:
its quality was considered good in its year, I watched this in 2020 not 2007.

Mh I don't get this, the animation itself is good even for today standards. If we want to look at it objectively it had, and still has, an impressive amount of sakuga moments compared to most anime but I think t's the artstyle that might be unappealing to some.
7 hours ago
May 2014
I love this show. Powerful women, great plot. timeskip kinda too fast for my taste,but was what it was know what im saying
Pages (24) « First ... « 22 23 [24]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.