Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 6, 2013 12:42 AM

Feb 2010
Pangeaa said:
oneoneleven said:
I fucking love this series.

I fucking love it too.

+1

I can't get over how brilliant the setting is... and its so original.
Jan 6, 2013 1:30 AM

Nov 2011
Zhou said:
Tomiko is 267 years old, boy, did that surprise me but is she really Satoru's grandmother in that case?

Yeah, that's got me wondering too, loved the inclusion of telomeres in the show too.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 6, 2013 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
Solid episode. I feel bad for watching this one day late now.
Jan 6, 2013 2:06 AM

Nov 2011
Pangeaa said:
oneoneleven said:
I fucking love this series.

I fucking love it too.

three. And Tomiko is a GILF.
The Art of Eight
Jan 6, 2013 3:20 AM

Sep 2012
Great Episode, I'm glad this anime has finally found. The badly directed episode seems to be behind us, and the consistency in animation and storytelling is now there. I really like where the story is going, and I hope we'll see other villages and how they are ruled in the next episodes.
Maria going apeshit will most likely be worth the watch too.
Jan 6, 2013 4:45 AM

Jun 2008
I'm always so nervous when I begin a new episode and always heartbroken at the end. I really hope Maria and Mamoru are okay but somehow I seriously doubt it.
Jan 6, 2013 4:49 AM

Jul 2012
I don't know if is it that i got used to this anime or I enjoy it that much. It got real interesting.
Jan 6, 2013 4:53 AM

Feb 2012
Great episode it was nice to see Tomiko-san helping group 1 and it seemed like in the preview the bake-nezumi are planning to rebel against the humans....
because in the preview Satoru said "i get the feeling they're trying to replace us humans"
...so it must be a rebel, right?
Jan 6, 2013 11:15 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
noonONONONONO
What the fuck is happening, first they show the obvious intention to destroy the relationship between maria and saki because OF FUCKING MAMORU that little sissy and now they're hinting at maria never coming back? That's losing my OTP and favorite character in one episode. At the end when she said ''sayonara'' I fucking teared up and was totally devastated. Can't wait for the next episode.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Jan 6, 2013 1:33 PM
Nov 2012
MeleDeGame said:
noonONONONONO
What the fuck is happening, first they show the obvious intention to destroy the relationship between maria and saki because OF FUCKING MAMORU that little sissy and now they're hinting at maria never coming back? That's losing my OTP and favorite character in one episode. At the end when she said ''sayonara'' I fucking teared up and was totally devastated. Can't wait for the next episode.

Oh come on now, it was pretty obvious that if not Shun, Saki would end up with Satoru.

Maria never REALLY stand a chance. She was only the third option so only if Satoru would have died too then she and Saki could have ended up together.

But if anything it would be Maria that would get killed, not Satoru.
Jan 6, 2013 2:45 PM
Jul 2012
Guys, speaking of foreshadowing, did you notice how the verses from the unabridged version of the Karma Demon's story had seemed to come true for Shun? He was the one to read it in class and he met a very similar fate shortly afterward. Now, I'm gonna go ahead and remind that Maria also read a verse about a young boy who'd encountered a fiend outside the barrier. He sacrificed himself and the monster never invaded his village. So maybe there's a possibility that Maria won't necessarily go berserk herself? Maybe she'll encounter a fiend and lead it back to their village or something?
Jan 6, 2013 5:34 PM

Oct 2011
kpk10 said:

Oh come on now, it was pretty obvious that if not Shun, Saki would end up with Satoru.

Maria never REALLY stand a chance. She was only the third option so only if Satoru would have died too then she and Saki could have ended up together.

But if anything it would be Maria that would get killed, not Satoru.

I second this. Besides, I'm certain that even if they remained together, Maria would've ended up with Mamoru eventually. She chose him, and despite her love for Saki, at the end of the day it was Mamoru who she accepted to be with.
---
Personiac said:
Guys, speaking of foreshadowing, did you notice how the verses from the unabridged version of the Karma Demon's story had seemed to come true for Shun? He was the one to read it in class and he met a very similar fate shortly afterward. Now, I'm gonna go ahead and remind that Maria also read a verse about a young boy who'd encountered a fiend outside the barrier. He sacrificed himself and the monster never invaded his village. So maybe there's a possibility that Maria won't necessarily go berserk herself? Maybe she'll encounter a fiend and lead it back to their village or something?

Hm... most people have just mentioned the idea of Maria actually becoming a fiend, no one has actually touched upon the idea of her bringing a fiend back. Very good deduction. It certainly seems likely. I agree more with your theory than the idea of Maria becoming a fiend herself.

Jan 6, 2013 10:14 PM

Oct 2010
I just have one question and sorry for the yell but DON'T TELL MARIA AND MAMORU ARE DEAD! PLEASE! Don't tell me I have to accept Maria killed herself and Mamoru for the peace of both?

The end with Maria...feeling a dagger here planting inside my heart feelings.

Other than that it's a rough draft a little scrambled from my club but those are my random thoughts scattered.

The decision process to get rid of who in the village is HORRIBLE! It lacks morale beyond a set of people who decide it only. For their moral may not be all that perfect nor good. Only authoritative features govern that of their decision making authoritative.

Giving freedom to one group resulted in one of them going insane. Proving that freedom is not for everyone for their mind may not manage it properly. That of functional in society itself.

The reason to Tomiko’s long live is quite fascinating when you think it was done by regenerating telomeres. It’s something unique she can do. It is to note that according to the series cells when splitting themselves tend to shorten their telomeres and those at one point will prevent the splitting of cells hence old age but if one can make sure they are no shorten then cell division can proceed and one can never die provided one can sustain a healthy diet.

It is to note that at the end that Saki may discover the secret to living long. This is due to Ed showing that she will live on while the other died and Satoru grow old to die. It’s quite sad but Tomiko might be the only person Saki will be able to live on with and lead the future generation into adapting a peaceful outtake. If you minimize in thee end the output of stress to minimal levels while caring not to break the fabric of balance and the work out done before to keep the levels of stress to the minimal. Them you may have the 0% of fiends forever.

Once again I hope Maria and Mamoru just moved on and are well somewhere else. I fear the worst negativity however in both dying together.

FOREVER MARIA X MAMORU!
Yumekichi11Jan 6, 2013 10:22 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 6, 2013 10:15 PM

Nov 2011
Did Saki and Maria have sex in the igloo? If they did, did Satoru and Mamoru just sit there and watch?
The Art of Eight
Jan 6, 2013 10:23 PM

Oct 2010
dankickyou said:
Did Saki and Maria have sex in the igloo? If they did, did Satoru and Mamoru just sit there and watch?
I think it was more a mental projection at the time Maria was telling what she told to Saki.

Jan 7, 2013 1:44 AM
Nov 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
I just have one question and sorry for the yell but DON'T TELL MARIA AND MAMORU ARE DEAD! PLEASE! Don't tell me I have to accept Maria killed herself and Mamoru for the peace of both?

Other than that it's a rough draft a little scrambled from my club but those are my random thoughts scattered.

The decision process to get rid of who in the village is HORRIBLE! It lacks morale beyond a set of people who decide it only. For their moral may not be all that perfect nor good. Only authoritative features govern that of their decision making authoritative.

Giving freedom to one group resulted in one of them going insane. Proving that freedom is not for everyone for their mind may not manage it properly. That of functional in society itself.

The reason to Tomiko’s long live is quite fascinating when you think it was done by regenerating telomeres. It’s something unique she can do. It is to note that according to the series cells when splitting themselves tend to shorten their telomeres and those at one point will prevent the splitting of cells hence old age but if one can make sure they are no shorten then cell division can proceed and one can never die provided one can sustain a healthy diet.

It is to note that at the end that Saki may discover the secret to living long. This is due to Ed showing that she will live on while the other died and Satoru grow old to die. It’s quite sad but Tomiko might be the only person Saki will be able to live on with and lead the future generation into adapting a peaceful outtake. If you minimize in thee end the output of stress to minimal levels while caring not to break the fabric of balance and the work out done before to keep the levels of stress to the minimal. Them you may have the 0% of fiends forever.

Once again I hope Maria and Mamoru just moved on and are well somewhere else. I fear the worst negativity however in both dying together.

FOREVER MARIA X MAMORU!

Don't worry.
Jan 7, 2013 2:16 AM

Oct 2010
kpk10 said:
Yumekichi11 said:

FOREVER MARIA X MAMORU!

Don't worry.
I see, at least it seems to allude she can easily achieve it. I guess I understand. Man I hope her love is going be as EPIC as in the manga. Just got to Chapter 8 and man the anime pales loads.

Jan 7, 2013 6:41 AM
Nov 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
kpk10 said:
Yumekichi11 said:

FOREVER MARIA X MAMORU!

Don't worry.
I see, at least it seems to allude she can easily achieve it. I guess I understand. Man I hope her love is going be as EPIC as in the manga. Just got to Chapter 8 and man the anime pales loads.

You hope her love would be as epic as in the manga? But in the manga she's still in love with Shun, they haven't gotten yet to the part were she falls for Satoru. So what do you mean by that?

In fact there were barely any SakiXSatoru moments in the manga. Only SakiXShun moments, while we already had plenty of SakiXSatoru moments in episodes 5-7 in the anime show.

kpk10Jan 7, 2013 7:06 AM
Jan 7, 2013 7:40 AM

Oct 2010
kpk10 said:
Yumekichi11 said:
kpk10 said:
Yumekichi11 said:

FOREVER MARIA X MAMORU!

Don't worry.

You hope her love would be as epic as in the manga? But in the manga she's still in love with Shun, they haven't gotten yet to the part were she falls for Satoru. So what do you mean by that?

In fact there were barely any SakiXSatoru moments in the manga. Only SakiXShun moments, while we already had plenty of SakiXSatoru moments in episodes 5-7 in the anime show.
I meant that the way they present in the manga her love for Shun, I hope it's something like that with Satoru. It was far better in the manga regardless with Shun when compared to the anime version.

Jan 7, 2013 9:13 AM

Sep 2012
Oh god. And it's getting great again.
Jan 7, 2013 11:55 AM

Oct 2011
dankickyou said:

He (or they) probably get outside. But yes, they did have sex and I think it was something usual for them.

But it felt like a "goodbye fuck". I wouldn't be surprised if they never reunited (or if the reunion was dramatic and shortlived)
Jan 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
man this is probably the first show that truly leaves my expectations satisfied
i came here for a dark complex mind-twisting psychological story and i got it :D

its just too bad that people are looking for that in SAO and then proceed to write noob reviews about how SAO is terrible

ou and in case nobody noticed the score went from 4.56 to 4.76 HELL YEA
Jan 7, 2013 4:27 PM
Jul 2012
Wow, the series has sure taken a swing for the better. I felt that the first 9 to 10 episodes felt a little disjoint and awkward, but these last few episodes have not only impressed me, but cleared up quite a few questions I had about the beginning.
Jan 8, 2013 1:50 AM

Dec 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again... this just keeps getting better and alot more interesting with each episode, and did anyone see the preview? "I get the feeling they're trying to replace us humans" omg I don't blame them, queerats are basically slaves.
Jan 8, 2013 3:20 AM

Aug 2011
Finally caught up with the show again and I'm really glad I did. The story is getting better and the character development on this show is really good as well, and with this week's cliffhanger isn't helping that I'm just craving for the next episode.
Jan 8, 2013 11:12 AM

Oct 2012
Loved this episode!! I missed Shinsekai Yori last week, but it returned with a great episode!!
Tomiko Asahina was so cool when she stood up for Saki. Also, Saki certainly did not beat around the bush when she was confronted by the Board of Education.
I like how there's always a scientific explanation behind every phenomenon in the series.
Tomiko's longevity due to the regeneration of telomeres - outstanding ability, Karmic demons losing control due to the subconscious taking over, etc.
Mind-blowing
I simply love this show u.u
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Jan 9, 2013 4:55 AM

Apr 2012
The show has actually lost a little bit of impact and momentum for me recently. I guess there's not nearly so much tension with a potential future leader acting in a mostly known world, as there was with the isolated group of children facing incomprehensible dangers from the very world they lived in. Still great stuff mind you; everything so well worked out and coming together beautifully, difficult issues, genuinely don't know what's likely to happen next. And even if it were to completely peter out now, it's already easily done enough to be the show of the year. (Last year.) But I'm greedy, I want more stuff that's not "merely" excellent, but is truly stunning.
Jan 9, 2013 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
logopolis said:
The show has actually lost a little bit of impact and momentum for me recently. I guess there's not nearly so much tension with a potential future leader acting in a mostly known world, as there was with the isolated group of children facing incomprehensible dangers from the very world they lived in.

I can understand what u mean but i dont rly see that as a shortcoming of the anime.
Now that the main characters (and the viewers) are aware of the way the world works the atmosphere/tension needs to be toned down a bit in order to focus more on plot and character development. Especially considering we still don't clearly know what the plot is about. I actually prefer the last episodes over the first ones.
Jan 9, 2013 8:26 AM
Sep 2010
This was nice episode.
I have already read through the original.
You can also expect future episodes!
All the works of Yusuke Kishi are interesting.
Please read, if there is an opportunity to read!
Jan 9, 2013 8:44 AM
Nov 2012
Zee530 said:
Zhou said:
Tomiko is 267 years old, boy, did that surprise me but is she really Satoru's grandmother in that case?

Yeah, that's got me wondering too, loved the inclusion of telomeres in the show too.

Is there any reason she couldn't be?

What "age" is her body? Is she aging still, but slowly? Or did she "stop" aging once she figured out the telemore thing? Is her body atually 67, or did Saki up her estimate in age since she had been told she was Satoru's grandmother.

I can see at least two options:

If her body is still relatively young, there's no reason she couldn't have had a child with Satoru's grandfather within recent history, not just 200+ years ago.

Or, she is simply called Satoru's grandmother because she is that family's ancestor from 200 years ago, and they just don't bother with a bunch of "great-great-great-great"s in front of 'grandmother'. (Althoughy nowthat I think about it, I don't even know if Japanese has that kind of thing in their language.)
IamwinterbornJan 9, 2013 10:03 AM
Jan 9, 2013 9:06 AM

Nov 2007
I figured Tomiko was a lot older than it seemed.
Jan 9, 2013 10:25 AM

Apr 2012
Roboris said:
I can understand what u mean but i dont rly see that as a shortcoming of the anime.
Now that the main characters (and the viewers) are aware of the way the world works the atmosphere/tension needs to be toned down a bit in order to focus more on plot and character development.

I think that will depend on how good what it's turning to now turns out to be.

Well, I have faith, the quality has been great so far, is still great, and it's more than earned a few episodes of building towards something even greater.
Jan 9, 2013 12:18 PM
Nov 2011
Iamwinterborn said:
Zee530 said:
Zhou said:

Is there any reason she couldn't be?

What "age" is her body? Is she aging still, but slowly? Or did she "stop" aging once she figured out the telemore thing? Is her body atually 67, or did Saki up her estimate in age since she had been told she was Satoru's grandmother.

I can see at least two options:

If her body is still relatively young, there's no reason she couldn't have had a child with Satoru's grandfather within recent history, not just 200+ years ago.

Or, she is simply called Satoru's grandmother because she is that family's ancestor from 200 years ago, and they just don't bother with a bunch of "great-great-great-great"s in front of 'grandmother'. (Althoughy nowthat I think about it, I don't even know if Japanese has that kind of thing in their language.)
she married an asahina guy 200 years before the events in the anime (when she was a nurse the doctor called her asahina-san) so she must be satorou's great-great-grandmother
Jan 9, 2013 1:47 PM

Jul 2010
Great episode... Tomiko-san is so cool ^-^ I love that she protects Saki, it makes me happy <3
This show is just amazing. So much suspense and such an interesting premise.

I guess they're using the monster rats next week to find Maria and Mamoru.... I hope it'll work, and it looks like there'll be some schemes by the rats too >_<

Loved it! Can't wait for next week ^O^
5/5
Jan 9, 2013 3:45 PM
Sep 2012
Tomiko is pretty cool, as is her special ability. Now to find Mamoru and Maria.
Jan 10, 2013 7:57 AM

Apr 2011
Man, Shinsekai is doing everything. Episode 10 was the first time I got sad over a character death and now, for the first time, I'm actually feeling hate for a character. Seriously, what was up with that bitch? Mamoru was selfish? Bitch, you tried to kill the poor kid, all because you were too damn afraid of something that could have been avoided if you handled it properly, or if you didn't even try to kill him in the first place. You have no right to call a person selfish.

Tomiko ftw. She's my favorite grandma now. She looks awesome, plus she can live forever if she wanted to. And she is DA BOSS! Saki, learn something from her and make that stuck up bitch eat her words by becoming the leader of the Ethics Committee.
Jan 10, 2013 2:37 PM

Oct 2007
click at own discretion. can't remember if it came from the manga or novel but i remember reading something along the lines in the spoiler

Jan 12, 2013 4:07 PM

Jul 2010
Lots of information! But the igloo's gone now! D:

Jan 13, 2013 2:08 AM

Dec 2011
I've held off long enough.

Up to a 10 it goes.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 13, 2013 5:18 AM

Jul 2010
Wow their way of thinking is just so... twisted, or rather so different from our society. They -easily- dispose of troublesome/useless children because they don't have human rights before their 18th birthday, they control them in their sleep through hypnosis and even go as far as alter the way they think because all of them might become a thread to the rest of the village. It's just plain creepy how much they control the children...

Anyway good episode, seems like Saki might be able to become "immortal" like Tomiko-san. I'm curious what will happen to the rest of them though...
Jan 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Jan 2012
i think saki is going more and more deeper into the serious things.....
Jan 31, 2013 1:46 PM

Jan 2011
I loved the scientific part about the old woman, and how it's actually correct compared to the usual nonsense that is used in anime. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, I really want to see the other colonies again.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 26, 2013 5:04 PM

Jul 2009
- "That's an amusing guess."
Me: - "Aww yeah, bingo."
- "You got the last two digits right."
Me: "Wait, what?"
- "I'm 267 years old."
Me: -"SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT"
Mar 21, 2013 12:41 PM

Jul 2012
I'm actually quite suspicious of Tomiko-san.. I can't really seem to trust her words that bringing the Maria and Mamoru back is best for them.

That cliffhanging ending.. I had a feeling that Maria was saying "sayonara" and it was confirmed with that ending too; pretty freaky ending at that to.

Loving this series^^
Mar 27, 2013 3:17 PM
Jan 2012
Great episode, 5/5 once again. This series improved a lot since the time-skip and it is only getting better and better. Well, 267 years is a lot of time to live. O.o Tomiko-san is quite the likeable character, isn't she? That is what makes her scary, I can't bring myself to fully trust her words. [...] There are so many things I wish to comment about this episode, but I can't find the right words to do so. Whatever, allow me to watch the next episode, then.
Mar 29, 2013 11:47 AM

Jul 2007
I guessed 400 years old. xD At I was closer than Saki.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Mar 29, 2013 12:14 PM

Aug 2012
This must be where the whole "If Maria hadn't been born, thousands of lives would have been saved" business comes into play.

My interest is piqued.
Mar 31, 2013 2:34 PM

Sep 2012
Shit just got real
Apr 3, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2012
Interesting character information, I like where this is going! Lets see what's next!
Apr 3, 2013 11:40 PM

Mar 2012
Though quite expository in nature, this was a great episode and one of the most melancholic so far, and certainly, aside from the fourth, the most revelatory. As such, this episode effectively served as a thoroughly intriguing transition away from the methodical examination of a diseased society, as it appears likely that the following episodes and the final arc, in particular, will gradually deviate from the enigmatic nature of the narrative’s development into a focus that explores the actual destruction of said society, whether by the seemingly imminent war with the queerats or the humans themselves. Not to mention, this episode was suffused with a menacing atmosphere that illuminated an unsettling inevitability for a particularly nihilistic progression within the narrative, as their decayed society is approaching a deeply sinister turmoil; a rather necessary consequence to the disturbingly ritualistic cruelties they’ve commonly accepted as mere sacrificial trifles that are essential for their civilization to properly survive.

One of the most effective moments was Saki’s fleeting reverie that was beautifully woven into her questioning, in which Mamoru spoke to Maria of his necessary isolation from their civilization, only to then be quieted by a tearful assurance from Maria that she’ll permanently accompany him wherever he goes. This scene perfectly captured the fatalistic emotions that were deeply felt by both, elevated even further by the wistful musical selection that was used throughout.

Saki’s defiance at the hearing was quite satisfying, since, for the first time, her individualistic inclination towards rebellion was outwardly displayed for the committee to witness, though, of course, this hesitancy was also derived from a desire to protect Mamoru. As such, it was a rather significant and quite inevitable development for her characterization, as she appears to have willfully shed the dreadful constraints that had been carefully manipulated into her existence. One particular moment that appeared to be subtly integral, with regards to foreshadowing, was Saki’s illusory remembrance of intimacy between her and Maria, which was expertly framed, as it drew a parallel to Maria and Mamoru’s presently felt embrace, likely inferring that the final vestiges of Saki and Maria’s romantic relationship were slowly disappearing, as their fates have transitioned into dichotomous entities.

Maria and Mamoru’s seemingly intertwined fates increasingly appear to be lingering on the precipice of tragedy, as a certain futility within their existence is edging ever closer, threateningly directing their lives towards an uncertain, but ultimately deteriorated future. This element within their mutual development was illuminated even further by the scene in which Saki and Satoru separate from them, culminating with the shot of their withering figures tightly grasping onto one another as Saki departs. The momentary focus on Maria’s forlorn expression and the movement of her mouth as words of farewell silently escaped from her lips possessed a distinctly sorrowful and partially veiled finality. These sentiments were strongly echoed in the final shot, as the camera fleetingly dwelled on Maria’s face once more, yet, following the preceding revelations and in combination with an auditory isolation of the last word she spoke, the exceedingly bleak nature of her future was distinctly accentuated, which was a fantastically chilling note to conclude the episode on.

Though quite tenuous and only implemented in a rather vague manner, I’m enjoying the slow and nearly imperceptible maturation of Saki and Satoru’s relationship, most evidently illustrated by Saki’s abandonment of caution in her desire to follow Satoru on his potentially dangerous excursion. This complexity certainly hasn’t truly evolved into a romantic sort, but the intermittent touches of depth seem to quietly foreshadow an eventual furtherance of their relationship. As such, it appears rather likely that their interesting dynamic will be explored quite heavily in the future, due largely to Maria and Mamoru’s potentially lasting isolation apart from them.

Tomiko and Saki’s conversation was immensely intriguing, as it touched upon a plethora of deftly foreshadowed revelations. The most compelling of which was the unexpected insight into Tomiko‘s age of 267, which logically reconciles several seeming inconsistencies in her earlier conversation with Saki. One of the most effective directorial flourishes was the cut to a still of Maria and Mamoru huddled together directly following Tomiko’s foreboding utterance of humans having become the most dangerous threat to their society. It established a potential implication that suggests they will, in some fashion, initiate the destruction of their society. The momentary mention of Telomeres and the manner in which their corrosion eventually induces death within their society was highly interesting, as was Tomiko’s ability to continuously regenerate them.

One of the most impressive and consistent aspects of the show is it’s writing, displayed most strongly by the meticulous construction of a narrative that rarely, if ever, falters in it’s ability to strongly convey the deeply disturbing intricacies of their society and the numerous terrors within their unfortunate existence as unintentional creators of societal devastation. It continuously manages to properly foreshadow and consequently allude to a litany of essential elements that allow for a deliberate unraveling of the numerous mysteries within the story. As such, there was an abundance of compelling revelations within this episode; several of which had only been previously foreshadowed in a seemingly inconsequential manner. Rather than this partially necessary minutiae remaining forgotten though, this episode, in particular, illuminated the subtlety with which they were ingrained into the narrative.

The direction was consistently solid, particularly in it’s rather deft handling of the material in this episode, which was permeated with a plethora of expositional conversations. Yamauchi’s storyboarding was quite strong throughout the episode as well, particularly during the conversation between Saki and Tomiko. Though his direction improved immensely for the tenth episode, especially following his thoroughly poor attempt in the fifth, the stylistic consistency of the show would have benefited considerably without the inclusion of his surrealistic expressionism. Visually, this episode was a bit stale and uninspired, particularly due to the singular location that comprised much of the episode, but, thankfully, it wasn‘t heavily detrimental. The exterior environments do, however, possess a desolate beauty that’s quite effective in mirroring the dreary nature of their struggles.

The animation was rather unspectacular, but, due to the prevalence of mere conversations throughout much of the episode, it didn’t become any sort of constraint. However, it impressed in it’s ability to properly illustrate a myriad of emotionally nuanced expressions, which was rather beneficial to nearly every conversational moment throughout the episode, particularly Maria’s farewell to Saki. Musically, this episode, similar to most others, was superb, as nearly every individual selection illuminated a highly effective and appropriate atmosphere within the scenes they were accompanying. The opening sequence, in particular, benefited greatly from the choral arrangement that was woven into this melancholic parting. I especially loved the slightly altered version of a previous selection that was used during Tomiko’s exasperated explanation of a fiend’s abilities and the consequences of their presence in the world.

All in all, From the New World, despite it’s inconsistencies, excels with it’s portrayal of a corrupted and desolate society that’s edging ever closer to an irreparable ruination, which is largely due to the terrific writing. Though the last episode was occasionally dull and poorly paced, it thankfully doesn’t appear to be indicative of the sort of quality that will persist throughout the conclusion to this arc. This, of course, is wonderfully illustrative of a considerably more satisfying cohesion and consistency, since, aside from the mediocrity of the previous episode, all others within this arc have been quite compelling and surprisingly suffused with numerous intriguing and largely integral developments. This presents a welcome dichotomy to the first arc, which was unnecessarily tarnished by a seeming necessity for a repetitive focus on several fairly inconsequential tangents, along with a decidedly disappointing narrative execution. The next episode looks quite interesting, particularly due to the return of Squealer.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.