Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2008 4:55 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode. Interesting view into Tony. He freaks out about killing a single Mu who was clearly the enemy, yet he has no problem with slaughtering humans. Really tells you want he thinks about humans.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Apr 15, 2009 4:30 PM

May 2008
I really can't decide how I feel about Keith. I both hate him and feel bad for him, and nowhere in between. It's like... If I could just find out what's going on in his head, maybe I could decide. But I'm glad the series creators aren't granting that to us.
Aug 6, 2009 5:37 AM

May 2008
tsukikage said:
I really can't decide how I feel about Keith. I both hate him and feel bad for him, and nowhere in between. It's like... If I could just find out what's going on in his head, maybe I could decide. But I'm glad the series creators aren't granting that to us.

Well I know I hate him XD

I was devastated that Tony didn't manage to kill him.
Nov 6, 2009 1:23 PM

May 2009
This anime isn't afraid of killing of characters, that's for sure... I'm not sure what to think of Keith either - sometimes I hate him but at times I feel bad for him as well.
Mar 14, 2010 8:16 PM

Jul 2008
This show is killing my heart with all the sudden deaths.
Jun 10, 2010 3:00 AM

Aug 2009
stAtic91 said:
This anime isn't afraid of killing of characters, that's for sure... I'm not sure what to think of Keith either - sometimes I hate him but at times I feel bad for him as well.

That's what I've been thinking too. This episode was definitely one of the best imo.

Aug 4, 2010 5:41 PM

Jun 2009
saintcross said:

I agree. I actually don't think I've ever hated any other character more. I didn't even like any of the characters he's killed off, either, it's just his character. All the attempts to humanize him just disgust me. The whole "I'm genetically engineered so I have to be evil; woe is me" thing was the worst of it.
Sep 13, 2010 6:12 PM

Jul 2009
DrHouse said:
saintcross said:

I agree. I actually don't think I've ever hated any other character more. I didn't even like any of the characters he's killed off, either, it's just his character. All the attempts to humanize him just disgust me. The whole "I'm genetically engineered so I have to be evil; woe is me" thing was the worst of it.

+1

A few moments of emotion do not make up for the horrors he's caused, and his past does not justify anything. I can't feel any sympathy for him. To see him continue to live while so many others have died by his hand really disgusts me. And I hate how the audience is supposed to pity him. No amount of playing him off as the victim will endear him to me. I really can't think of another character I dislike as much as him.
RizzleSep 20, 2010 9:33 PM
Sep 18, 2010 6:59 PM
Oct 2009
good riddance to matsuka. what an awful character.
theamatomachineSep 18, 2010 7:04 PM
Jun 12, 2011 7:43 AM

May 2009
I used to like Keith when he was still in school with Sam and the others, and I thought they would make us like him, so that we won't be able to choice which character's side we are on, but now it's clear they just want us to hate Keith.
Jul 14, 2011 7:27 PM

Nov 2009
yea dont really feel that sorry for matsuka. he was a terrible character without any backbone. i was soooooo raging when tony didnt kill keith. and i dont think Tony should have felt bad about killing a mu. it doesnt matter the race its the side theyre on that counts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2011 9:49 AM

Oct 2010
Yeap, it's hard to bear a balanced emotion in Terra e's game.

I always knew Matsuka would end up like that, but, man, I guess it's cause he's a Mu that he held such high hopes for Keith, like in continuing to keep him alive will bring his human out or something, a hope only partly fulfilled. Sam's death too... dying in such blissful ignorance might not be so bad, I think.

Only two more? What, only two more...
Sep 26, 2011 4:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Excellent chapter. I never understood Matsuka though. His masochistic relationship to Keith is just unexplicable to me. The way he died defending him was such a waste.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2013 9:50 PM

Nov 2009
Why didn't Tony just fire another shot and finish off Keith? He had such a good chance to kill him and he wasted it. You know that is going to bite him in the ass later on . . . Shame.
Dec 11, 2013 3:58 AM

Jul 2008
theamato said:
good riddance to matsuka. what an awful character.

Matsuka was a masochistic, I dont get him, why was he even following Keith.
Jun 28, 2014 9:24 PM

Sep 2013
Keith kind of helped him back in the gun scene and Matsuka probably was like some people in here trying to see the good side in the devil himself.

Anyway, I raged when Shiroe appeared to Keith ¬¬ It's funny how he keeps saying Matsuka was just a gun for him, but he surely has some kind of mixed feelings about that...

Not feeling that sad for Matsuka, though. Mu tried to help him more than once and the stupid little brat decided to keep being treated like a monster by Keith 99% of the time...

I feel bad for Tony. Hope he will manage to go through this and NOT die haha.
Jul 2, 2014 5:22 PM

Aug 2010
Sucks for Tony. He came to get revenge and kill Keith but he ended up killing a Mu instead. They're really going all out with this climax. So many deaths. Love this show.
Jul 19, 2014 2:26 PM
Jul 2010
I can't believe how underrated this anime is! It's far more amazing than I expected and it's definitely going to go on my favorite anime list! There's so much depth and character development, and I love a show that isn't afraid of killing characters while keeping a strong purpose for each death.
Jun 17, 2015 1:49 AM
Aug 2008
Tony killing a MU, then his emotions about that. It's as he didn't say before he doesn't care about MU. He didn't know !
Then Keith emotions to Sam (which is known) but then to Matsuka !
Wow it's really a great show. One of the best out there !
Oct 6, 2015 5:30 AM

Oct 2014
Sam is dead I can't believe. I wish he didn't end up like that. He lost his memories and died like a child. The end is getting closer.
Dec 9, 2015 4:12 PM
Jan 2010
Rizzle said:
DrHouse said:

+1

A few moments of emotion do not make up for the horrors he's caused, and his past does not justify anything. I can't feel any sympathy for him. To see him continue to live while so many others have died by his hand really disgusts me. And I hate how the audience is supposed to pity him. No amount of playing him off as the victim will endear him to me. I really can't think of another character I dislike as much as him.

Completely agree with both these posts. All attempts to humanize him fall completely flat to me. He feels sad that his one friend died (killed by the system hes protecting no less), and yet to Matsuka that somehow gives him a free pass to commit genocide? Good riddance to that pointless character, just a shame he didn't get Keith as well.
Mar 3, 2016 4:41 AM
Aug 2011
Matsuka and Keith represent here a somewhat typical abuser-victim relationship. Matsuka always had self confidence issues and was bullied for being sensitive. Keith is admired but also an outsider in his "perfect" way. Matsuka stays passive and let's Keith use and abuse him, never stands up against him in the false belief that "he is actually a good guy with good intentions, he will change, he doesn't really mean it like that" etc..Typical justifications coming from victims.
Also typical that they depend on each other and like l̶o̶v̶e̶?̶ eachother in a seriously messed up way.
Ummm it's really not the fujoshi speaking here but there are some hints that Keith might..just might be gay. His thoughts are preoccupied with Sam, Shiroe and Matuska, while he completely disregards Swena. He is also really bad at handling and facing his many emotions, which among homosexuality might be one, he becomes abusive due to lack of any other way of expressing himslef....to sum up Keith needs to come out of the freaking closet.
Sep 25, 2016 6:35 PM

Jul 2010
Welp, what a great character Sam turned out to be...I feel like this anime started out strong but just then got bad developing it's characters after the major timeskips. Sam was such a great character but then turned into a potato and spent his time like that and then just died off-screen? do you guys actually believe this is good writing? someone enlighten me because never seen such waste of character progression before as in this show...same can be applied to Keith.
Jan 29, 2017 8:02 PM

Apr 2014
one thing that's been bothering me is that this anime puts a lot of focus on Physis in the posters and openings and such but she hasn't really been that important so far. and i thought there would a lot more with her and Keith but they only met once

piercings made out of blood? that's new

also i don't care about how Matsuka thinks Keith has the most human heart deep inside, he's still an absolute evil asshole based on his actions. i won't like Keith even when he becomes a good guy at the end (if that happens, which i'm guessing it will. so cliche)

Jomy really did become a bit cold-hearted himself...the elder had a good point. what's the point of them arriving to Terra when they abandoned their own race and killed everyone in their path?

ugh so annoying, Matsuka sacrificed himself for Keith. why didn't Tony finish it!?! i'm so sad.

this anime is bad for my heart. i actually thought they would make Keith a likable character that just happens to be an antagonist but nope he's 100% an asshole. the thing is, the Mu aren't perfect either, Jomy is becoming questionable as well. so the anime is pretty much making both sides appear bad rather making both sides appear humane. i don't like it :""(
belovingJan 29, 2017 8:20 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2017 11:55 AM

Oct 2016
Am I the only one rooting for the antagonists? I like Keith because he's becoming more human, especially for grieving over Matsuka (who was like many other of the supporting characters who were created specifically for dying).

On KitKatze's comments about the gayness, there's hints of gayness probably because the author of Terra e wrote a BL manga (+ OVA) called Kaze to Ki no Uta. It has characters with the same relationship as Keith and Matsuka. She wrote a lot of shoujo stuff.
Feb 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2014
Not gonna lie Makka's death made me cry. He was stupid for following Keith this far but it still made me sad.

Still no sympathy for Keith. He only likes people AFTER they die. And his Sam obsession is freaky.
Nov 11, 2019 5:45 PM

Jul 2009
Tenth said:
Sam was such a great character but then turned into a potato and spent his time like that and then just died off-screen? do you guys actually believe this is good writing? someone enlighten me because never seen such waste of character progression before as in this show...same can be applied to Keith.

Yeah? I really don't see the problem with it. Sam acting as both a bridge to humanity for Keith as well as an additional reason to (wrongly) despise the Mu for how he ended up is far from a waste.

beloving said:
this anime is bad for my heart. i actually thought they would make Keith a likable character that just happens to be an antagonist but nope he's 100% an asshole. the thing is, the Mu aren't perfect either, Jomy is becoming questionable as well. so the anime is pretty much making both sides appear bad rather making both sides appear humane. i don't like it :""(

This is probably the main reason I love this show. Neither side here is absolute good or evil. It builds up the Mu as pretty good while the Humans are evil and then after the intended massacre of Nasca it shows you that the Humans have very good reason to be so fearful of the Mu. It even provides very good justification for the dystopian SD system.
MelloRedNov 11, 2019 5:49 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Terra e... Episode 13 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 1, 2011

6 by His0kaDevv »»
Mar 19, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Terra e... Episode 1 Discussion

Kayrhandros - May 29, 2007

29 by zeroquinze »»
Oct 28, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Terra e... Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Sep 22, 2008

84 by Lavi_kun »»
Jun 13, 2023 3:03 AM

Poll: » Terra e... Episode 21 Discussion

puedjies - Feb 8, 2009

15 by Lavi_kun »»
Jun 12, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Terra e... Episode 15 Discussion

d388 - Aug 24, 2007

27 by Lavi_kun »»
Jun 12, 2023 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.