Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 10, 2022 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
Seriously confused about why human looking characters are eating people or coming across as supernatural serial killers. Also, what was the whole drug thing about. Where did it come from and what is it exactly. Had to laugh when the guy, and/or creature, said that the S in Type S didn't stand for cinnamon but for slave.

Spookiest thing about this series so far was the basement dwelling incel. Jokes aside, this episode made me feel uncomfortable.
Mar 21, 2023 1:22 PM
Feb 2019
creepy freak man!
May 27, 2023 12:40 AM
RMX_90
May 2022
This character is very S*** and this man is crazy and I see he is Stalker Rie and i see again he make violent to Rie
Jul 7, 2023 3:04 PM
Jan 2016
One of the most effective episodes of the show for me, heck in all of anime because Yoji just freaks me out so much. From all the anime I've seen, I struggle to think fo a character who was more cringe than he was here. Today this episode would be a nice deconstruction of obsessed otakus, guys who obsess over anime girls and declare them "waifus", etc... hard to believe how prescient it ended up being. The episode does a really good job blurring reality and fantasy. Some of the most cringe moments between Yoji and Rie probably weren't even real but just imaginations in his head.

Perhaps more than any other episode thus far this one makes the most sense if you've already read the original light novel, or at least seen the first three episodes of the 2019 adaption. Unlike the prior three episodes, most of this episode takes place during the events of the light novel and before the pillar of light appears. As such you've got the real Masami Saotome here and the girl with him, who is typically appearing as Boogiepop Phantom is the Manticore (hence her chowing down on that girl in the alley). During said story they are enslaving people, hence the focus on the Type S drug. Presumably part of Yoji's end of episode breakdown is the fact that he can't get the Type S anymore since Saotome's dead at that point. Similar to Moto from the first episode I wondered if they'd have him be attracted to the Manticore version of Saotome, who would use him as pray, but no such story element is visited here, perhaps due to lack of time or they felt it wasn't necessary.
Aug 19, 2023 2:36 PM

Sep 2017
I like it more when this type of avant garde anime actually have a message and meaning behind them. Such as Serial Experiments Lain which is about the dangers of internet, or this episode which was about drugs and mistaking the real world with the virtual world. Or even episode 2, the burden of carrying others' sins. I don't give a shit about evil organization or Kirima Nagi, the plot is straight up meaningless.
P.S Boogiepop didn't show up this episode huh
P.S 2 The sound that played during the dish washing scene was the same as the one played during Kara no Kyoukai 5's cafe scene(M26)
خ
Jan 12, 10:47 AM

Nov 2023
It's a very creepy episode. And it was very disturbing too.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Oct 2022
reading previous replies and realizing more and more how i fucked up not reading the LNs beforehand, nevertheless i'm in for the ride.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 25, 2009

29 by Pinoffin »»
Jan 12, 2:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.