Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 25, 2016 6:57 PM

Nov 2016
Episode 35 - From the Little Corner of a Big Facility:

Great backstory for Kenji I can understand him, and is great to know some of the background of Kenji and Yuri story.

"Better to go than not." (Makabe Kenjo to Arai Yuri about a tour to the Everest)

"Better to apply than not to." (Arai Yuki to Makabe Kenji about the astronaut selection exam)

"...but now there is a landmark in my mind. If i could become an astronaut...A future where I can soar!" (Makabe Kenji)

"I want to escape... from the little corner of a big facility. I want to go somewhere I can feel free!" (Makabe Kenji)

"...I passed" (Makabe Kenji)

"I'll be graduating from those gray work clothes, and donning that blue jumpsuit that only astronauts can wear... As blue as this brilliant sky!" (Makabe Kenji)

5/5
ArakitoDec 25, 2016 7:04 PM
Apr 15, 2017 5:00 AM

Nov 2013
Great episode! Kenji is so incredibly perfect and genuinely kind-hearted. It was great to hear his thoughts and get to know him better. The things he said were very inspiring!

Maybe I'm the only one but...when I look at him I think "Guts (from Berserk) would look like Kenji if he had a normal life" :D

I hope he will not become another Hughes (FMA) because that closing scene gave me a strong devá vu.
Jun 20, 2017 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
This episode was an emotional rollercoaster, oh man that was beautiful. Well done Kenji, you totally deserved it!
Jul 10, 2017 5:17 AM

Jun 2015
Makabe-san is very interesting.

Aug 28, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2011
I don't know why people who don't like this episode still watching this anime to this episode.. We all know that Mutta will do something big in the future (even if in the case that he failed this test), he won't just be a random failed guy in the end, but what matter is the story telling itself.. Serika will pass too, of course, but what we need is the flow of story itself, not only the results..

Kenji's story is inspiring.. He lived a normal life except that he have something he dreamed from long.. He got a great family, and sometimes we would think that is okay if he didn't pass.. But after all he's done, are you sure ? Yeah of course, everyone can't always succeed at everything, moreover in real life.. But when you really want to do it and your family support you, of course you should try it, and try your best ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 3, 2017 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
Makabe's family is the best family in anime. So damn cute. This show is awesome.
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 15, 2017 10:58 AM

May 2012
They sure know how to keep the viewers tension! But I'm really glad he passed to be honest :D

This was also a great episode to see his backstory to be honest! Let's see what's next.
Dec 1, 2017 6:12 AM

Dec 2014
They got me. When he said sorry I completely thought he had failed.
Mar 8, 2018 6:41 AM

Feb 2013
Well done Kenji!
You deserved it!
His family is perfect, I hope nothing bad will happen to him.
Oct 25, 2020 8:33 PM
Apr 2016
Kenji, Kenji, Kenji! I felt genuinely happy when they said he passed! He's awesome!
Oct 26, 2020 4:48 PM

Dec 2007
with this full episode on keni i thought he won't passed, but at the end he did.

there's a lot of people (in real life) who thinks that their job isn't their dream job, but they keeping working at it 'till they get old, usually because for their family, if kenji would have wanted to go to space and forgetting their family on the way like someone else in the anime, i would get angry, but kenji really does this because his wife wants to, so i'm going cheering for him!
Jan 14, 2022 3:45 AM

Feb 2012
Here the decision to go back and forth in time really backfired. I'm all for showing the backstory of the characters, but trying to mix it with important plot developments to create tension just creates more frustration than excitement.

The series is really taking its time in this part and it feels like a snail's pace, mainly because they spend a lot of time waiting for outcomes that are rather obvious: passing candidates being announced, the launch being successful. So what we get is scenes of Mutta going to the supermarket, Mutta eating, Kenji reminiscing how he ate at work and how met his wife. These scenes haven't really shown anything new about the characters, advanced the plot or created a different idea of the world. When the candidates were being tested, all of these things were happening at once, and now not having developments in any area is starting to be a bit frustrating. While Kenji's past is good to know, nothing was in any way surprising.

Considering this, the irony in the middle of the episode was amusing, Kenji being on the phone and thinking: "I don't need this long introduction. Just tell me if I passed!"
May 26, 2023 1:31 AM

Feb 2019
That was a great episode. We got more background on Kenji, something I didn't know I wanted. I thought this episode was going to be boring, but I loved seeing how he met his wife and how their relationship progressed.

Not sure how I feel about seeing Serika next though.
Aug 7, 2023 3:17 PM

Dec 2018
only 30 seconds of the entire episode mattered.
Aug 22, 2023 8:52 PM

Dec 2017
Loved this eps, Kenji is great character!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.