Forum Settings
Forums

Do you look for anime on purpose to make you cry?

New
Nov 14, 2012 3:37 PM

Oct 2012
Just a curiosity I had. Some people want to watch an anime with lots of comedy to get a laugh out of it because it helps you feel better or just generally happy.
What's the appeal for wanting to watch an anime that makes you have tears streaming like Niagara Falls?
I myself like finding anime that is able to make me cry, but I honestly couldn't tell you why. Hopefully you all can give reasons I can relate to though ;)
ShoryuNov 14, 2012 6:48 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 14, 2012 4:02 PM

Apr 2012
Well first of all only the best of anime can evoke that kind of strong emotion and it feels good to cry sometimes. I like to watch a lot of dark depressing anime, because in the depth of that darkness it says something about the human experience both the good and the bad. In even the saddest anime there is usually sparks of hope so everything is not complete despair (there are exceptions to this) and this hope feels much more powerful after the characters have been through heart breaking or tragic experiences. One of the first anime that brought me to tears was Monster. It was when a certain character died and when that character died I cried not just because his death was tragic, but because of the circumstances of his death he gained something, something that he had been missing. The character I mean is

I think if you're seeking out good anime you're going to find powerful moments like this that can almost feel cathartic in some contexts. Now not always sometimes it's sad just because it's sad. Like in One Piece when
There's nothing particularly deep about what happened there but it was well placed and set some high stakes for the characters and well, it was built up well and just executed well.

Not that anime usually makes me cry all that often. I did cry at example one, but the second example just made me feel a bit sad. But either way sometimes after I read or watch a well done tragedy it kind of makes me think about the people that are important to me and maybe even appreciate them a little more.
Nov 14, 2012 4:02 PM
May 2010
I think it just creates the strongest emotional response, and I enjoy such things /shrug. Gets me more involved in the story.
Worships Asparagus.
Nov 14, 2012 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
Itoukaiji said:
Well first of all only the best of anime can evoke that kind of strong emotion and it feels good to cry sometimes. I like to watch a lot of dark depressing anime, because in the depth of that darkness it says something about the human experience both the good and the bad. In even the saddest anime there is usually sparks of hope so everything is not complete despair (there are exceptions to this) and this hope feels much more powerful after the characters have been through heart breaking or tragic experiences. One of the first anime that brought me to tears was Monster. It was when a certain character died and when that character died I cried not just because his death was tragic, but because of the circumstances of his death he gained something, something that he had been missing. The character I mean is

I think if you're seeking out good anime you're going to find powerful moments like this that can almost feel cathartic in some contexts. Now not always sometimes it's sad just because it's sad. Like in One Piece when
There's nothing particularly deep about what happened there but it was well placed and set some high stakes for the characters and well, it was built up well and just executed well.

Not that anime usually makes me cry all that often. I did cry at example one, but the second example just made me feel a bit sad. But either way sometimes after I read or watch a well done tragedy it kind of makes me think about the people that are important to me and maybe even appreciate them a little more.

I couldn't agree more.
miereneronaile said:
I think it just creates the strongest emotional response, and I enjoy such things /shrug. Gets me more involved in the story.

Very much so too!

Gotta say, you two gave my abstractness of this question a voice of which I couldn't really describe well enough! ^^
Thank you!

More input is valued :)

Nov 14, 2012 4:24 PM

Jul 2010
If I was especially watching an anime in order to make me cry, my expectations would probably not be answered and in the end I would have liked it less than I should have. With such purpose in mind, this is what is most likely to happen. For me at least.
Nov 14, 2012 4:36 PM

Sep 2011
I guess people just like having those strong emotions toward characters. It means they really care about what's going on, so the anime must be doing something right in those cases.

I actually avoid anime that make me cry from character death, but I really appreciate an anime that can make me cry without killing off my favorite characters or doing something equally as terrible.
Nov 14, 2012 4:58 PM

Aug 2010
I don't usually cry anyway, so no. Not that I can't appreaciate emotional anime. Kanon, anyone?
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 14, 2012 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
Sometimes only strong emotions can give people the sense of being alive.
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 14, 2012 5:33 PM

Apr 2012
I'm more likely to cry at happy things.
Nov 14, 2012 6:45 PM

Oct 2011
if it's depressing anime we're talking about then i'd like to say something. This might seem very strange to some of you but I can't stand depressing anime, it's not that i want to avoid crying or anything, i just can't stand it, and i'm talking about anime like Clannad AS and Saikano. Kanon and Clannad was good because while it was touching, it was never full on depressing. i hope you know what i'm talking about.

anyway i've being wanting to say this for a long time and i'm glad you made a thread to put it in :)
wakka9ca said:"The endless debate between fans and haters... is totaly pointless"

Nov 14, 2012 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
tonyymmao said:
if it's depressing anime we're talking about then i'd like to say something. This might seem very strange to some of you but I can't stand depressing anime, it's not that i want to avoid crying or anything, i just can't stand it, and i'm talking about anime like Clannad AS and Saikano. Kanon and Clannad was good because while it was touching, it was never full on depressing. i hope you know what i'm talking about.

anyway i've being wanting to say this for a long time and i'm glad you made a thread to put it in :)

Hehe, not a problem!
And I think I know what you mean. I for one don't mind watching something depressing. In some regard, I love having that feeling of just laying in bed and pondering about life after watching something 'depressing'. But yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Nov 14, 2012 7:15 PM
Oct 2012
hmm the nly anime that had me was probably clannad at the moment i mean angle beats in my opinion was sad but not like sad to make u cry lawl but i thnk clannad was a touching one -_-
Nov 14, 2012 7:20 PM

Aug 2012
If I'm depressed, I watch anime that hopefully will make me cry. Unfortunately, I haven't succeeded in doing that as I've never cried while watching anime.

My Youtube page: link
Nov 14, 2012 7:23 PM

Dec 2011
Yeah, sometimes I just feel like watching a heart breaking romantic drama or a tragedy.
Nov 14, 2012 7:30 PM

Nov 2012
"Do you look for anime on purpose to make you cry?"

I beg to differ. Doesn't the world know enough tragedies and catastrophes already?
Nov 14, 2012 8:14 PM

Sep 2011
I try, but it doesn't work. :(
Nov 14, 2012 8:37 PM

Dec 2011
In the same way that if I look for a comedy, I expect it to make me laugh, if I look for a drama series, I expect it to make me cry. That's a really good thing, it means you were so connected and sucked into the story and characters that you cared enough about the dramatic events in their lives to cry.
Nov 14, 2012 8:40 PM

Jun 2012
Expecting any kind of strong reaction heading into a work is a disaster waiting to happen. I just go into series as-is.
Nov 14, 2012 9:57 PM

Sep 2012
I enjoy watching Tragedies/Dramas for the fact that you get attached to the characters, Usually within these genres there's some sorta background story for most characters. When you understand their past experiences it makes it easier to sympathise with them. "Angel Beats!" Did a great job with that, the show went into detail about what the lives of each character was like back on earth, and through out the course of the show each character it given a chance to live out the lives they've never had, in this afterlife. Im horrible at explaining things, if you've seen the show than you know what im talking about. But i seriously have to say that these dark shows really do it for me. My friends dont understand why i enjoy watching anime so much and im happy you posted this forum.

Here is why i like the sad series, They open your mind to the different and endless possibilities, and really expose to you how vast this world is. I enjoyed "Angel Beats!" mainly for the fact that each character had their own background story, a girl wanted to be a singer, but couldnt be, due to some sorta brain tumour she got that prevented her from speaking "What a unfair god ", another boy was killed when he failed to make a game winning catch in a baseball game. "What a terrible god". A chick was completely paralysed cause she got hit by a car, "WHAT A MEAN GOD", throughout the course of the show they rebel against god and despise him.

To me thats some deep ISH, like i stop and really think, my life isnt that bad. Im grateful that i can move and play sports, glad to sing, glad that none of my siblings have been murdered.. Im grateful for the life that i have, but a person cant help but acknowledge the fact that there are people who are living lives like these (in angel beats) so many unhappy people Who in actuality do curse god. These tragic shows just make me want to be a better person.
and like there are so many different aspects of this genre that can touch and influence people. It makes you think of whats really important and how YOU, who ever YOU are can do better. Im really in it for the Mind opening experience..BUT YEAH :3

Last note, You may like these Sad shows because "they take you there", like a form of ENLIGHTENMENT. Weird to say but sometimes feeling sad is one of the best feelings ever, its like you feel terrible but at the same time you just feel so warm inside. (have you ever felt soo sad, it felt good?) I usually feel like this towards the end of a good anime, and your counting down the final minutes of the series before its ALL OVER.
Jacid51Nov 14, 2012 10:06 PM
Nov 14, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2007
Only one series/movie anime-wise has nearly brought tears to my eyes and that was Millennium Actress. And I love it. So, yeah, I guess if a series can really make me cry, then I'd look for it. (I've noticed as I've gotten older that I'm more prone to being emotional, but when I was younger, I had the nickname "Stone Heart" in my family since nearly no movie or story could bring me to tears).

People actually feel better venting their emotions in a safe environment where there are not strong personal consequences (e.g. I feel good after having cried about some uplifting sacrifice at the movies, or enjoy being thought-provoked by a more serious situation as it helps me mature as an individual, but I don't feel good about crying when it's a real personal tragedy, like a friend getting horribly sick or a family member dying). It seems like it's a safe way for people to mature emotionally and mentally (and prepare themselves to handle the real-life crises), and explore some hard issues without fear of really bad things happening.

The ancient Greeks were all up on this with their plethora of Greek tragedies. A strong venting of emotions in the audience during one of those performances was known as a "Catharsis". And controlled catharses seem to actually be very healthy for your emotions and mind.
Nov 14, 2012 10:01 PM

Nov 2007
Jacid51 said:

These tragic shows just make me want to be a better person.

Yep, I agree. I like the sad stuff that makes me want to be better and love humanity at large. The stuff that's just sad and makes me feel guilty, cheated, or cynical, those are the ones I think are pointless and do not care for. (Unless they make me feel enraged on someone's behalf and thereby want to make the world better so that crap can't happen again.)
Nov 14, 2012 10:04 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah my favourite anime I've ever seen was also the saddest.
Nov 14, 2012 10:05 PM

Oct 2012
sad emotions are stronger than happy emotions.
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 14, 2012 10:14 PM

Sep 2012
ANY1 WANNA Recommend a series that may fall under this genre?
Nov 14, 2012 10:22 PM

Sep 2012
Kuhle said:

I actually avoid anime that make me cry from character death, but I really appreciate an anime that can make me cry without killing off my favorite characters or doing something equally as terrible.

AVATAR:LAST AIR BENDER, you may like and LEGEND OF KORRA. for a kids show it stupid dramatic
Nov 14, 2012 10:24 PM

Oct 2009
I don't know, I usually use onion for that.
Just kidding.

No, I don't purposely watch anime to cry. My purpose of watching anime is always "okay, what's the story? tragedy, comedy, mundane, mindfuck, action, harem, shounen, mecha, moe, you named it, I'll watch it!" (Yaoi and Guro are an exception, I'm looking at you Pico!).
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 14, 2012 10:36 PM

Nov 2009
Sometimes I do but it's not too often

Jacid51 I recommend My-Hime
Nov 15, 2012 12:55 AM
Aug 2010
I'd like to find an anime which will make me cry, but It seems impossible. I've never cried watching a show, and I didn't cry for a long time that why I'd like to find something that tragic.
Nov 15, 2012 1:47 AM

Mar 2012
I try but it usually doesn't work on me. Clannad After Story and K-On!! are the only shows that have made me get all emotional.
Nov 15, 2012 8:51 AM

Oct 2012
I generally find any animes that can bring me any sort of emotion except boredom
Nov 15, 2012 9:33 AM

Sep 2012
It takes something really special to make me cry; so while I don't go into anime looking for it, I can appreciate it when it happens.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Nov 15, 2012 9:37 AM
Jul 2012
lastsense said:
Sexual emotions are stronger than any other emotions. Think about it.
Nov 15, 2012 2:18 PM

Nov 2007
stanklem28 said:
lastsense said:
Sexual emotions are stronger than any other emotions. Think about it.

Highly debatable. Peer pressure is usually more compelling than sexual attraction. Fear of loneliness, or just fear in general can also be way stronger.

I'm inclined to think emotions are really more about context: Any given emotion can be arguably as strong/stronger than another based on the situation in which it presents itself.
Nov 15, 2012 11:30 PM

Mar 2009
No. I find it funny if anyone purposely searches for something tear-inducing.
Nov 16, 2012 6:37 AM

Sep 2011
No.

AlexSadist-sama said:
No. I find it funny if anyone purposely searches for something tear-inducing.

LOL. +1.

Nov 16, 2012 6:47 AM

Nov 2012
Everytime somethins I see this thread in the first page I'm like :" DA-KA-RA! ITTA DARÔ! No one is THAT happy to go look for something to cry watching it :lulz: "

PS : For some of you. You want to cry ? Ask yourself why you don't have a girlfriend. Is it really because you go looking for animes and cry while watching them ? Oh, of course not.

:stereotypical-azzhole:
Nov 16, 2012 9:13 AM

Feb 2010
I don't particularly enjoy to watch really sad stuff, but I enjoy a good cry. Because crying is fun and doesn't happen because of sad stuff. Watching something like the first 20 episodes of Les Mis makes me angry because of the injustice, but it would never make me cry. I cry when positive feelings overpower a negative situation for example. Let's say that One Piece episode where Luffy gets over the death of Ace after thinking of his friends would be a good example.
I also need to feel connected to the characters, so longer and/or emotional intense series work best. Key adaptions don't work because they always construct these sad scenarios and forget to make me care about the character.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
1 minute ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.