Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 20, 2009 6:41 AM

Feb 2005
Ah, so it's included in Gyo, that explains why I never found it.
Much appreciated.
Jan 20, 2009 8:34 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Feb 2, 2009 6:33 PM
Nov 2007
Fuyu no Hana
was a pretty good oneshot it was sweet and to the point
Mar 10, 2009 10:55 PM

Oct 2008
"Cactus Summer Surprise"

I liked this one a lot. Found it on accident reading the shoujo manga "beast master". It was an extra story the put as chapter 9.
Mar 11, 2009 4:05 PM

Apr 2008
Ye be warned, long post ahead.

I know I came late to the "shoujo bash" party, but I think I have a few things worth sharing in order to increase the variety of shoujo and josei one-shots so that things don't have to start and end in the "high school setting with clumsy average heroine and her bishounen object of affections" kind of one-shots.

1) Gothic/Horror shoujo one-shots: mangakas like Kaori Yuki , Mitsukazu Mihara, Kaoru Fujiwara and Asumiko Nakamura among others are very well known for their style and stories, however they are still shoujo and pretty much all of their works are more than worth a read. Not to mention that plenty of their one-shots (Asumiko Nakamura not so much unfortunately) have been scanlated and are widely available.

2) Reiko Shimizu one-shots: Her A Million Pound Love collection of one-shots is beautiful, elegant, profound, and still very much shoujo. I noticed that you have shared a Moto Hagio one-shot and are planning to spot-light one of Keiko Takemiya's sometime in the future, so it would be redundant (for now) to request more of them.

3)CLAMP one-shots: Before the Clamp haters start complaining, I'm not saying that their works are flawless or anything of the sort, but they do tend to make shoujo one-shots that don't fit the high school setting stories and for that I felt like mentioning them. Examples: Okimono Kimono, Murikuri and Hidari Te.

5) Shoujo-ai and yuri one-shots: I've read that you are not interested in adding nor spot-lighting these kind of one-shots and I might not entirely agree, but it is your club and your rules, so I won't complain about it, but I still think it's worth mentioning that mangakas such as Kiriko Nananan, Q-ta Minami, Takako Shimura and Kita Konno have written/drawn some very interesting one-shots, some might be more explicit than others and therefore less likely to be added to the club, but I thought I should mention it anyways. Also, Lililicious and other yuri-focused scanlation groups have translated possibly well over a hundred shoujo-ai/yuri one-shots at this point, and sure some of them might not be worth reading at all, but still, you can be sure that there are plenty of gems or rough diamonds or whatever other piece of jewelry related metaphor among them.

Now, somewhat related to the lack-of-variety issue, further things worth recommending:

Kei Toume and Yoshitoshi Abe one-shots: For shame that none of their one-shots have been considered for future spot-lights. For shame! (And yes, I realize that the club has not been around for that long nor are there enough weeks to share everything, but still, I need to bring this issue up).

And last but not least, I have one sort-of-yaoi-ish one-shot that is worth recommending because it doesn't have anything explicit at all that would make manly men crawl in their seats, and also happens to be a very informative read about the beginnings of famous rich-men Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Paul Allen and Larry Elisson. It's by Takada Yuuki and it's called Billionaries. Like I said, informative and ridiculous all in one package.
Mar 12, 2009 9:25 AM

Oct 2007
Thanks for the recs everyone!

Wow rove, huge post! hahah. Some of those you mentioned i've read and liked. Though I am not a huge fan of kaori yuki and especially not mitsukazu mihara... but i'll try to feature something by them... at least once. hahah. But thanks for the Recs~ I try to read everything recced in here and then find one i think is a good one to spotlight, cause I don't like featuring stuff that i haven't read beforehand xD;;
Apr 7, 2009 5:46 AM
Apr 9, 2009 1:45 PM

Oct 2007
Thanks for the recs! I'll defenitely have to read them and spotlight some~ i had no idea the mangaka of FMA did oneshots :o

Really, I cant emphasize how much i appreciate input for the oneshots of the week xD Specially since i seem to have become the main person who picks them now :x
Apr 10, 2009 8:49 AM

Jul 2007
Goggle by Toyoda Tetsuya
- I actually mistook this one for one of Hiroki Endo's works since the art and story remind me of his style.
Apr 14, 2009 11:22 AM

Nov 2008
If I'm not wrong, 'Stray Dog' got quite good critiques for being this good while being the first manga Arakawa has done.

And yet another one by Komi Naoshi:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12121/Williams
It's shounen as well, but it's clearly recognizable as a work by Komi Naoshi (who's art and ideas are always great, imo)
Turin2609Apr 14, 2009 11:31 AM
May 28, 2009 3:46 PM

May 2009
ah, yes komi naoshi....i really like that guy and apple i think is really neat (yes i said neat...)
Nov 24, 2009 1:06 AM
Aug 2009
how about The Time Milk Wound the Spring orThe Beautiful Curse?
Scarlet_RoseNov 24, 2009 1:10 AM
May 31, 2010 12:45 AM
Jun 2008
[002] Kon no Ki Konoha by Sumomo Yumeka

^
^
^
^
I think its really worth it *got me teary in the end* << very sentimental LOL
May 31, 2010 1:31 AM

Mar 2009
Konya mo Hitori de Nemurenai - A collection of one shots by eight horror manga artists.

Thought it was a good read.
Aug 9, 2011 12:53 PM

Jul 2008
The_Triforce said:
Konya mo Hitori de Nemurenai - A collection of one shots by eight horror manga artists.

Shoujo horror? Interesting.

I have added some future one-shots of the week to go with an updated current list.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What is the Last One Shot You Read?

YoungVagabond - May 11, 2010

36 by Chronowarp »»
Feb 17, 2019 9:18 AM

» One shot tragic manga?

Ushi_Chan - Dec 21, 2015

0 by Ushi_Chan »»
Dec 21, 2015 7:23 PM

» One Shot of the Week Recommendations

YoungVagabond - May 8, 2010

20 by YoungVagabond »»
Aug 31, 2015 7:58 AM

Sticky: » Hiring New Admins!

YoungVagabond - Aug 31, 2015

0 by YoungVagabond »»
Aug 31, 2015 7:55 AM

» Club Relations ( 1 2 3 )

ZinnKid - Oct 9, 2008

124 by Jasulan »»
Mar 9, 2015 3:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.