Forum Settings
Forums

12% Sales Drop of Japan's Anime Media in 1H 2012

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 2, 2012 11:24 PM

Jun 2010
Hang in there anime industry.
Aug 2, 2012 11:44 PM

Dec 2011
R1seAgainst said:
With bleach and Naruto ending (2 big anime franchise) ending, it will just go down significantly.

Naruto and Bleach are irrelevant in terms of Japanese Blu-Ray and DVD sales.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 3, 2012 12:40 AM
May 2012
i think the SAO has potential this season
Aug 3, 2012 12:44 AM

Mar 2009
I bet it's just gonna keep dropping.
Aug 3, 2012 12:50 AM

Dec 2011
would reverse importing have a noticeable effect on those figures?
Aug 3, 2012 1:43 AM

Apr 2009
In a recession, consumer sales for entertainment goods always increase because people seek distraction from reality. That's common knowledge, so the decrease is not suprising.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 3, 2012 2:09 AM

Aug 2011
for me

since bd releases only have some minor correction compared to the dvd's i don't get the point why i need to buy the bd's when i already bought the dvd. and bds cost more.so no.

and yeah. i don't have a bd player.
eris04Aug 3, 2012 6:10 PM
Aug 3, 2012 3:07 AM
Mar 2010
12%? Oh dear....

Well at least we still have the Fate Series and this season we have SAO and Horizon....

though....they're not exatly gonna be 50k sellers are they....

and the other series this summer don't seem to be doing great either.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 3, 2012 7:22 AM
Aug 2012
Why are you blaming BAD Anime?
You should blame Piracy
Aug 3, 2012 9:08 AM

Sep 2008
Detective said:
effing deserved with all the feces that is being churned out

This. Something that few people will consider, but maybe sales are down because there aren't many recent anime that people think are worth buying.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 3, 2012 10:50 AM

May 2011
DvD quality is so 1990's

~

Why buy?
Aug 3, 2012 10:50 AM
Jun 2009
Wow. Blu-Ray. O.O I wonder how it will be like during next year's first half.
Aug 3, 2012 10:59 AM

Apr 2010
I wonder how much of that 12% are the Idolmaster G4U volumes that aren't counted. Thats like a total of 90k right there... I wonder if it could get down to just 5% if they counted them.

Aug 3, 2012 11:28 AM

Nov 2009
Add bonuses and special drama CDs to DVD versions and I'll consider buying DVD instead of Limited edition BD or nothing at all (cause those limited edition BD are so fuckin' not cheap...)
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 3, 2012 11:46 AM

Nov 2008
don't worry mobile suit gundam unicor is gonna pup up the sales all by itself
Aug 3, 2012 8:24 PM

Feb 2008
jmal said:
I still would like to know if western animation is included in this total (since it's usually listed under "anime" by Oricon), as that's a big market in Japan and would influence the overall total as well.

Oricon counts domestic and foreign anime separately. Anyway, the foreign anime market in Japan is relatively small.
Domestic anime Blu-ray + DVD: 32.5 billion yen
Foreign anime Blu-ray + DVD: 2.1 billion yen

jmal said:
I'd be interested to know how other anime-focused distributors fared. Aniplex and Bandai are two of the biggest and they're both up significantly. Do we know about Kadokawa, Pony Canyon, or King Records?

Unfortunately, there is no data of other distributors. The top two account for half of the whole anime market.
Aniplex: 10.1 billion yen
Bandai Visual: 6.5 billion yen
Aug 4, 2012 1:50 AM

Nov 2009
edwd2 said:
LOTS of bad anime recently, spring season didn't have much at all, summer isnt too good either. We need one of those big hits, 2009 and 2010 increase was probably because of K-ON! and FMAB, plus stuff like Gintama in the background, now all of that is over, we're in the dark ages

What happened to Sankarea, Hyouka and Fate/Zero's popularity? As well as a few other particular animes that are currently airing this summer like SAO (Sword Art Online)? I was under the impression that Sword Art Online is getting alot of attention lately..
Aug 4, 2012 4:16 AM

Sep 2008
jmal said:
eyerok said:
Something that few people will consider

Probably because it's a stupidly simplistic way of looking at things?

I' like to give you credit for phrasing it like "shows that people want to buy" instead of "good/bad shows", but the post you;'re openly agreeing with made no such distinction.

sometimes the simplest explanation is enough, and those that look for complicated ones are doing too much thinking and not looking at the obvious. The basics of economics is that people normally buy things that 'they think' are worth buying. Maybe the decrease in sales is a case of many releases falling outside that.
Besides I used the word "maybe"...wise ass.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 4, 2012 4:27 AM

Dec 2011
MagicFlier said:
edwd2 said:
LOTS of bad anime recently, spring season didn't have much at all, summer isnt too good either. We need one of those big hits, 2009 and 2010 increase was probably because of K-ON! and FMAB, plus stuff like Gintama in the background, now all of that is over, we're in the dark ages

What happened to Sankarea, Hyouka and Fate/Zero's popularity? As well as a few other particular animes that are currently airing this summer like SAO (Sword Art Online)? I was under the impression that Sword Art Online is getting alot of attention lately..

SAO obviously isn't included in the figures as the volumes haven't come out yet. Nor has the second half of Fate/Zero. Hyouka has only had a couple of volumes out so far and is sacrificing sales/volume by increasing the number of volumes above what would usually be done. Sankarea was a complete flop.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 4, 2012 8:33 AM

Apr 2010
MagicFlier said:
edwd2 said:

Sankarea was never very popular in Japan, and was one of the worst selling shows of Spring.

Aug 4, 2012 12:59 PM

Aug 2008
Mr_Gutts said:
don't worry mobile suit gundam unicor is gonna pup up the sales all by itself

^This
Unicorn got it covered

Aug 4, 2012 2:01 PM

Mar 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Wait until Fate/Zero 2 finally ships.
When is that, anyway?
Aug 5, 2012 1:00 AM

Mar 2010
jmal said:
Vylash said:
RyanSaotome said:
Wait until Fate/Zero 2 finally ships.
When is that, anyway?
September 19th.
Oh geez over a month, thanks
Aug 5, 2012 3:23 PM

Aug 2008
Stop charging $60 for blu-rays with 2 episodes on them and maybe sales wouldn't drop...
Aug 5, 2012 11:35 PM

Oct 2007
I'd buy anime if it was ¥3,570 per volume. Cheers!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.