Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2012 10:19 PM

Feb 2008
AnimeFtw1 said:
kayos90 said:
AnimeFtw1 said:
Can someone tell me if it's actually going to get good? If you've seen the manga ofc.

It gets good. At least in the LN it does.

I feel like there's no main story and it's all fillers atm.

It will sadly stay that way for a while. In all honesty it's to develop characters a bit/fill in background as well as explain the world of the game. It'll go with the DtB style for a while. Assuming this next arc is two episodes and the the next side stories will take 3 then we'll see the main stuff jump in at episode 10.
Jul 28, 2012 10:21 PM

Jan 2011
Another great episode. Silica's a kind and caring girl. She gets shy so easily lmao. Obvious she likes Kirito. Kirito ended up using Silica as bait to get close to Rosalia. 7 players attacked Kirito at the same time and his health barely dropped. That regenerating ability,. Kirito is so powerful/OP already. xD So badass when he suddenly appeared in front of Rosalia with his blade at her neck.

Awesome how others know about the 'Black Swordsman being a beater' thing. I like how they address the Player Killer thing with the orange marks. Silica's dragon pet is pretty awesome as well. Loving all the MMORPG references <3

Hopefully we'll see Asuna again. OP is teasing us with heaps of Asuna and we've only seen her once. :P
Jul 28, 2012 10:23 PM
Feb 2012
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:
I don't understand why they care about others seeing them naked or panties youknow?
it's a damn game. Pixels. It can't show what your body looks like down there.

They're replicates of their real life image, so seeing them naked in game would be the same as seeing them naked in person.

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT
in fact it is possible to
Jul 28, 2012 10:24 PM

Jul 2011
bellpickle said:
AnimeFtw1 said:

I feel like there's no main story and it's all fillers atm.

Not filler, since all these stories are in the source material. These basically serve as build up and introduction to the world. In this episode, you're introduced to the concept of beast tamers and red/orange players.

I read the SAO story arc chronologically rather than by the release order, and I actually preferred it that way. The only drawback is that the continuity errors are probably more obvious if you read chronologically. x_x

A little worried about the next episode. Murder Case is a really long story, slightly longer than Aria in the Starless Night iirc. They'll probably only give Murder Case one ep, so I guess we should expect a butchering. I'm predicting no Heathcliff and no Laughing Coffin.

Well I am a little bit encouraged due to the title of the next episode, so hopefully it does get 2 episodes.

Jul 28, 2012 10:28 PM

Feb 2008
monkeii said:
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:
I don't understand why they care about others seeing them naked or panties youknow?

They're replicates of their real life image, so seeing them naked in game would be the same as seeing them naked in person.

According to a chapter that will not be named because I have erased from memory. Yes it is.
Jul 28, 2012 10:31 PM
Feb 2012
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:

According to a chapter that will not be named because I have erased from memory. Yes it is.

Jul 28, 2012 10:32 PM

Feb 2008
monkeii said:
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:

*sigh*. I really wish that chapter did not exist.
Jul 28, 2012 10:53 PM

Jan 2010
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:

It wasn't THAT bad of a chapter. Erotica + gameplay mechanics. Who wouldn't want that.
Jul 28, 2012 10:53 PM

Nov 2008
twins tails this week Asuna next week yay
Jul 28, 2012 11:00 PM

Jul 2010
kayos90 said:
CrossDivide said:
Will someone please tell me when we get to see Asuna? Any possibility it'll be next week? Cause I'm really curious and I can't find the preview =/

It'll be next week.

Alright, thanks for the info! Damn, sure can't wait to see her <3
Jul 28, 2012 11:02 PM

Oct 2011
hhhhheeeeeeeeeeh! he got reay strong!
Jul 28, 2012 11:11 PM

Feb 2010
PERFECT. BEAUTIFUL EPISODE. #1.
WELL PACED. YES.
<3
Jul 28, 2012 11:12 PM

Oct 2008
After a disappointing 3rd episode, this one was much better. It was far easier to relate to Silica and her character was far more endearing to me. I also love when those that prey on the weak and helpless get what they deserve.

Also, they were able to show how badass Kirito is.
From the title of the next episode in the preview, it looks like this anime is going to go the route of a bunch of short stories rather than a large overarching plot. I really hope we get to see Silica again.

WHERE IS ASUNA? That second episode was a giant tease.

ScarletMuse said:
PERFECT. BEAUTIFUL EPISODE. #1.
WELL PACED. YES.
<3

I'd have to agree here too. The gradual nature of their friendship (at least from Kirito's point of view =D) was nicely paced.
OmniknightJul 28, 2012 11:15 PM
Jul 28, 2012 11:22 PM
Dec 2008
summary "dont fuck with me noobs"
Jul 28, 2012 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
Omniknight said:
After a disappointing 3rd episode, this one was much better. It was far easier to relate to Silica and her character was far more endearing to me. I also love when those that prey on the weak and helpless get what they deserve.

Also, they were able to show how badass Kirito is.
From the title of the next episode in the preview, it looks like this anime is going to go the route of a bunch of short stories rather than a large overarching plot. I really hope we get to see Silica again.

WHERE IS ASUNA? That second episode was a giant tease.

The one thing I love about this show is how accurately it portrays real MMO situations. As a gamer I could easily relate to the situation in this episode.
There was a certain amount of satisfaction in watching the high level Kirito stomp on low level thugs.

A fine episode, but I do hope the real plot + Asuna comes soon.
Jul 28, 2012 11:25 PM

Jul 2011
Teldara said:
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
kayos90 said:
monkeii said:
dotphil said:
AnimeFtw1 said:

It wasn't THAT bad of a chapter. Erotica + gameplay mechanics. Who wouldn't want that.

*cough* right here

AnimeFtw1 said:

A little worried about the next episode. Murder Case is a really long story, slightly longer than Aria in the Starless Night iirc. They'll probably only give Murder Case one ep, so I guess we should expect a butchering. I'm predicting no Heathcliff and no Laughing Coffin.

Jul 28, 2012 11:26 PM

May 2012
What a cute girl.
Jul 28, 2012 11:26 PM

Jul 2012
For the first time in my life, I can't really tell if I loved the show or I hated it. Good episode, but still, this show needs to slow down a bit.
Jul 28, 2012 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
Silica chan is so cute ! but where's Asuna ? I miss her :/ But still a great episode :DD
Jul 28, 2012 11:33 PM
Feb 2012
kaena said:
summary "dont fuck with me noobs"

seems legit
Jul 28, 2012 11:43 PM

Jul 2012
Akiyama said:
(*´д`*)

weeeeeeeeee .-. I loved that episode.
Jul 28, 2012 11:43 PM
Jan 2012
(LN Reader here, may contain minor spoilers)

TL;DR: No major plot connections between side stories, but looking at it chronologically, it is justified. Wishing there would be more action scenes, since there's only 3 2-minute major ones and it's a MMORPG Death-trap anime. To those watching and not reading the LN, wait. Wait and your wishes shall be granted. Rating: 8.5/10 for now, until they satisfy these points.

(BTW, why doesn't everyone just out TL;DRs at the top? No more need to scroll to a bottom of a text to find a summary?)

TBH, I think that the anime version of SAO isn't capturing the audience as much as the LNs did. I mean, for a fantasy-action MMORPG Death-Trap anime, we're only actually seen, what, 3 2-minute fight scenes? I mean, it's great that they're playing it chronologically, but to any audience viewer in Japan who watches this on a weekly basis (And many of us too), we're getting shots of random plot scenes everywhere - there's no connection between one episode and the next. But considering how you would need to have a long term relation between the protagonist and the side story's main character, and that the side stories wouldn't make sense later on, it is justified. In other words, I'm having mixed emotions about the fact that it's made chronologically - loving it for sensible order of episodes, but hating it that there's no major plot connection, although it's justified. The only thing I can say at this point to all anime-only watchers of this anime is to wait, but then again, how can I tell that to everyone? ._.

This show's right now about 8.5/10, IMHO.

Edit: Clarification
Master7432Jul 29, 2012 12:31 AM
Jul 28, 2012 11:50 PM

Sep 2011
Mmm I like the episodes on their own - but the anime as a whole at the minute just feels a bit disjointed. What I mean is, the plot is just jumping from point to point, introducing characters here and there, but with very little linking episode to episode. I mean, look at Kirrito. In four eps, he's gone from low level to super indestructible. Yet we barely saw any of this progression, apart from ep 2. Its just odd they would skip so quickly through this.

This is probably a symptom of how the light novels + extra were set out, but it still shouldn't be an excuse. Everyone knows you have to chop and change to transform written word to visual form.

I really like this anime - but I also think its wasted potential, as at the minute, if feels like its a collection of short stories, not a progressing plot. I imagine it will get better, but i'm still a bit annoyed they decided to cram all this into one series, and the early episodes and their jarring nature are symptoms of it.
Jul 28, 2012 11:50 PM

Jun 2009
Master7432 said:
TBH, I think that the anime version of SAO isn't capturing the audience.

Non-LN reader here but I'm enjoying it and the rating 8.64 would like to have a word with you as well. What now?
Jul 28, 2012 11:54 PM

Sep 2011
Master7432 said:
(LN Reader here, may contain minor spoilers)

TL;DR: No major plot connections between side stories, but looking at it chronologically, it is justified. Wishing there would be more action scenes, since there's only 3 2-minute major ones and it's a MMORPG Death-trap anime. To those watching and not reading the LN, wait. Wait and your wishes shall be granted. Rating: 8.5/10 for now, until they satisfy these points.

(BTW, why doesn't everyone just out TL;DRs at the top? No more need to scroll to a bottom of a text to find a summary?)

TBH, I think that the anime version of SAO isn't capturing the audience. I mean, for a fantasy-action MMORPG Death-Trap anime, we're only actually seen, what, 3 2-minute fight scenes? I mean, it's great that they're playing it chronologically, but to any audience viewer in Japan who watches this on a weekly basis (And many of us too), we're getting shots of random plot scenes everywhere - there's no connection between one episode and the next. But considering how you would need to have a long term relation between the protagonist and the side story's main character, and that the side stories wouldn't make sense later on, it is justified. In other words, I'm having mixed emotions about the fact that it's made chronologically - loving it for sensible order of episodes, but hating it that there's no major plot connection, although it's justified. The only thing I can say at this point to all anime-only watchers of this anime is to wait, but then again, how can I tell that to everyone? ._.

This show's right now about 8.5/10, IMHO.

LOL. Just saw your post and you also seem to share the same views haha. Although, I haven't read the light novels...
Jul 29, 2012 12:09 AM

Jun 2011
To be honest, this episode was my least favorite so far (from a non-LNer standpoint). Silica, while a good character, was given a bit too much of the wrong attention, IMHO, and the story was less meaty than the previous episode's. Kirito wasn't given any major development either (although the clue in to his level was helpful). That being said, even the worst SAO episode at this point is great, solid 3.5/5 for me.

I look forward to the next episode.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 29, 2012 12:09 AM
May 2010
Hehe, New ep!

So Silica has been introduced and we get some background info on Kirito,
Gah! That Rosalia, hated her in the LN and anime she pisses me off, but then again I may just be overreacting from sleepiness? hehe.

So I feel that this is the best adaptation so far and hope its a sign of things to come, especially since they're going with A Murder Case in the Area story next, no way thats getting fit into one ep, unless they reduce

Silica was portrayed really cutely in this ep hehe glad they included the whole sibling-like relationship there.
AnD Kirito being a badass, you can't kill or hurt me! hehe seriously though nice portrayal of this story

well i enjoyed this weeks ep heres hoping for a good episode next week! Cant wait!!!~
Jul 29, 2012 12:12 AM

Aug 2011
This arc was pretty good as a lone episode but i agree the setting is too abrupt. The plot doesn't flow from the previous episode and the viewers are left thinking what happened prior to this episode. Character development is weak as a result. Hmm i still enjoyed it nevertheless, i hope it can improve.
My first impression of this anime was around 9.5 but now it has dropped to 7.5-8 (mediocre)
Jul 29, 2012 12:30 AM
Jan 2012
-Quasar said:
Master7432 said:
TBH, I think that the anime version of SAO isn't capturing the audience.

Non-LN reader here but I'm enjoying it and the rating 8.64 would like to have a word with you as well. What now?

I meant as much. Sure, it captures the crowd, but not to an extent to the LNs. I will edit my post, to clarify. I mean, I also love this anime too, so I'm complaining because I love it so much.

Mattafixx said:
Mmm I like the episodes on their own - but the anime as a whole at the minute just feels a bit disjointed. What I mean is, the plot is just jumping from point to point, introducing characters here and there, but with very little linking episode to episode. I mean, look at Kirrito. In four eps, he's gone from low level to super indestructible. Yet we barely saw any of this progression, apart from ep 2. Its just odd they would skip so quickly through this.

This is probably a symptom of how the light novels + extra were set out, but it still shouldn't be an excuse. Everyone knows you have to chop and change to transform written word to visual form.

I really like this anime - but I also think its wasted potential, as at the minute, if feels like its a collection of short stories, not a progressing plot. I imagine it will get better, but i'm still a bit annoyed they decided to cram all this into one series, and the early episodes and their jarring nature are symptoms of it.

You do have a great point, but I believe that they are doing this chronologically and faithfully, meaning that they're going to literally animate word for word. This does leave out many points, in which your last paragraph agree with my view well.

alan0w0 said:
This arc was pretty good as a lone episode but i agree the setting is too abrupt. The plot doesn't flow from the previous episode and the viewers are left thinking what happened prior to this episode. Character development is weak as a result. Hmm i still enjoyed it nevertheless, i hope it can improve.
My first impression of this anime was around 9.5 but now it has dropped to 7.5-8 (mediocre)

The rating may go down, in which I completely agree on the popular vote, but trust me, the actual main story line (Which at this point, seems to be episode 6/7) is much more detailed and connected.
Master7432Jul 29, 2012 12:33 AM
Jul 29, 2012 12:31 AM

Sep 2009
The reason it feels like things are moving too quickly and that there's not enough plot is because these last few episodes are just side stories...most of which were in volume 2 of the LN. We haven't really seen much of anything from volume 1, which is the main story....but we should be seeing it really soon. Once we get to the the main plot, things will (hopefully) slow down.
Jul 29, 2012 12:36 AM

Feb 2012
saxophone15 said:
The reason it feels like things are moving too quickly and that there's not enough plot is because these last few episodes are just side stories...most of which were in volume 2 of the LN. We haven't really seen much of anything from volume 1, which is the main story....but we should be seeing it really soon. Once we get to the the main plot, things will (hopefully) slow down.

Now that I think about it...you've got a point.
They would not waste 2 episodes just for a side story I guess...
Jul 29, 2012 12:37 AM
Jan 2012
saxophone15 said:

This is definitely true. They better slow down the main plot, or I'm punching the director. They already cut down the main fight in the 3rd episode, screwed up Sachhi's song, and completely forgotten about Asuna at this point. I mean, these are side stories which are put chronologically, but at this point, I'm worrying that everyone who's only watching it will forget about Asuna. >_>
Jul 29, 2012 12:48 AM

Jul 2008
Kirito, y u so OP?
Jul 29, 2012 12:49 AM

Mar 2012
Master7432 said:
saxophone15 said:

This is definitely true. They better slow down the main plot, or I'm punching the director. They already cut down the main fight in the 3rd episode, screwed up Sachhi's song, and completely forgotten about Asuna at this point. I mean, these are side stories which are put chronologically, but at this point, I'm worrying that everyone who's only watching it will forget about Asuna. >_>

Nope, haven't forgotten about Asuna. Although, at this point, she's the least developed of all the characters we've seen so far, which is kind of silly. But her time will come.

I'm kind of getting used to the rhythm of these side stories. Episode 2 was a total flop, but 3 and 4 have worked really well if you just take them as standalone episodes as they're supposed to be.

Also, Silica, you lolimouto you. You're too cute.
They could've made her look less similar to Asuna though.
Jul 29, 2012 12:56 AM

Aug 2011
Holy fuck, Silica was an annoying ass brat. I was hoping she'd die at the end, but that'd be too similar to last episode. The only good thing about this episode was seeing Kirito say that extremely badass line right before he sent Rosalia to jail. He's a good character - but when is he going to meet up with Asuna again?
Jul 29, 2012 12:57 AM

May 2012
Awesome episode, I'm really liking these stand alone episodes even if they seem a little to rushed. Right now this anime is getting a 9/10 from me, once it ends who knows I might even give it a 10/10.
Jul 29, 2012 12:59 AM

Nov 2011
Holy fuck this anime is already number 44 on the Top Anime list and it's not even done yet. I mean it's entertaining, but not that good.
Jul 29, 2012 1:00 AM

Mar 2012
itsvero said:
Holy fuck, Silica was an annoying ass brat. I was hoping she'd die at the end, but that'd be too similar to last episode. The only good thing about this episode was seeing Kirito say that extremely badass line right before he sent Rosalia to jail. He's a good character - but when is he going to meet up with Asuna again?

How is it even physically possible to dislike Silica.
Jul 29, 2012 1:02 AM

Mar 2012
Tomodachi5 said:
Holy fuck this anime is already number 44 on the Top Anime list and it's not even done yet. I mean it's entertaining, but not that good.

Agreed, especially when Kokoro Connect is considerably better and is at #751.
Jul 29, 2012 1:09 AM

May 2012
I find it weird that after four episodes, I still have absolutely no idea how I really feel about this show. It's a bit unnerving.

Adorable episode, though. I love the fact that Kirito takes time out of his life to try and help the little players. He doesn't want anyone to die in the game at all.
Jul 29, 2012 1:10 AM

May 2012
ataraxial said:
Tomodachi5 said:

Understatement of the day if I've ever seen one. Kokoro Connect is probably my second or third favorite show this season.
Jul 29, 2012 1:22 AM
May 2012
Another side story probably!although it was good but its wasn't perfect.i don't think this anime should get into the storyline soon or it will lose affection points
Jul 29, 2012 1:23 AM

Dec 2009
To be quite honest, I've been waiting for Kokoro Connect for months after only having the first 2 manga chapters translated. It's an instant fave for me since I'm quite into the whole Body Surfing and romance sub-genre.

Still SAO shot up to a fave after I couldn't put down the Light Novels and read at a pace of 2 volumes a day. It was just that engaging, that's why I'm willing to rate it quite high in order to help entice interest in others to try it out, plus hoping more funding will go for the SAO Project.
Jul 29, 2012 1:25 AM

Apr 2010
Hell yeah! Tell that bitch you ain't taking shit from no one and kicking PK ass at the same time! >:)
Jul 29, 2012 1:30 AM

Jan 2011
Nice episode, but I'm waiting for the main plot to arrive, now since Silicia is still alive we might see her later unlike the girl from the previous episode. I hope that the next few episodes won't be save the kawaii girl and never see her again kind of crap.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 29, 2012 1:39 AM

Mar 2011
awesome ep, hurry next episode:O
Jul 29, 2012 1:40 AM

Sep 2008
Not as rushed as what I've expected compared to the previous episode.
At the same time, its not as perfect as what I expected to be, expect for that badass Kirito scene in the last few minutes.
4/5 for me.
Jul 29, 2012 1:41 AM
Mar 2011
ataraxial said:
Tomodachi5 said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not worth being called 44 on the lists, but you're definately right to say Kokoro Connect shold be just as high. I mean, after it's most recent episode I'd vouch to say that Kokoro Connect WILL jump up the ratings and perhaps beat Sword Art online even by the end of the week. It's getting quitedeep and looks to get even more intense with every episode.
As for this shows' Episode 4, well, they pretty much made him look extremely and ultimately Baddass. More overpowered than I've ever seen an anime character, for there own good that is. I won't lie, after seeing him be grouped up on by those 7 guys and them not even scratch him, well, I would really like to be him, play a virtual online game like that, and be as super powerful! I'm definately hooked on this!
And I'd like to second the guy above who asked the question: "How is it even physically possible to not like Silica?!"
--> There was nothing wrong with the character at all!! The voice actor was suitable, she was kinda like a sister figure - but without the annoying tsundere qualities most of them have. She was cute, she wasnt one of those bitchy characters that'll make everyone do anything for her... she's stubborn, prideful and honerable too. Like how she was bullied by that orange group and she let them; not making it someone else's problem. Plus her boobs aren't enormously big (like some random bimbo, and she can fight for herself. Any other qualities I could think of wouldn't be bad or make me want to rip my eyes out if it would allow me to never have to see her again, lol. Her personality wasn't at all thin or anything close.
If someone can come up with just as many honest reasons against her then I would consider her being a poor character. But I think some people are just being desperate to find flaws in the ongoing series because of the previous animes having so many (4 weeks ago). Not to say the were all bad ofcourse ;D
These were the main ones that had problems: Saki: Achiga-hen, Pretty Rhythm Dear My Fu, Medaka Box, Sengoku Collection, Saint Seiya Omega, and Queen’s Blade: Reb.
Not all of those were super awful, but they all had major flaws and distinctive problems... (like Saint Seiya Omega; the whiny, childish voice actors along with the plain and gay feministic anime style was only bearible for about 2 1/2 eipsodes before I had to throw up and stop watching that 'poison') The manga was not so bad on the other hand.
Anyways, Sword Art Online was a really intriguing anime to begin with, so I think people rashly voted it really high super fast because of desperation for something really great, but who's to say it won't surprise us all again and be even more amazing and deserveing of it' s high rank?
T3rm1n4t0r2Jul 29, 2012 1:51 AM
Jul 29, 2012 1:46 AM

Nov 2011
After last week, I spent most of this episode expecting Silica to unceremoniously kick the bucket.
Jul 29, 2012 1:49 AM

Aug 2010
awww that episode was so cute

i can't wait to see badass kirito fighting in the front lines

the only thing that bother me with that anime is the lack of storyline
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
Today, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.