Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 »
Jul 1, 2014 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
What was the point of the mirror?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 4, 2014 11:37 PM

Jul 2008
Looks like a fun game...but the stakes are a bit extreme no? Let's see if this lives up to the hype.
Jul 4, 2014 11:38 PM

Jul 2008
Primus2x said:
What was the point of the mirror?

To make all the characters look like they do in real life, not the stock character models that are used in games.
Jul 15, 2014 3:09 AM

May 2013
Damn, I just love the OST!

So you need NerveGear to play Sword Art Online. However, players can't log out.
Out of ten thousand players, many have already died, including Kitaro.
It's up to Kirito to finish the game.

I just love the plot and the concepts revolving around it!
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 25, 2014 3:03 PM

Jan 2014
Good first episode...
Jul 31, 2014 8:51 AM
Jul 2014
decided to give this show a try and holy shit I think I'm gonna love it! The premise is awesome!
Jul 31, 2014 9:11 AM

Jun 2014
eits said:
decided to give this show a try and holy shit I think I'm gonna love it! The premise is awesome!

Yeah, if you've ever played any MMOs I think it speaks to the love for those worlds that we all have :)
Aug 1, 2014 12:49 PM
Jul 2014
freeflowme said:
eits said:

Yeah, if you've ever played any MMOs I think it speaks to the love for those worlds that we all have :)

Dang dude you weren't joking! went ahead and watched like 7 episodes over night and can't get enough of it :)
Aug 1, 2014 1:05 PM

Jun 2014
eits said:
Dang dude you weren't joking! went ahead and watched like 7 episodes over night and can't get enough of it :)

Glad you enjoy it. I think watching the world of Aincrad is just as engrossing as playing in the world of Azeroth in WoW or whatever world in an MMO. It's beautifully animated, has a pretty solid story for the most part and some lovable characters, and an awesome soundtrack to go along with it. Hope you enjoy the series :)
Oct 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Feb 2013
With SAO2 airing, it put me in the mood to re-watch this.

I must say, excellent start.

In the stills after they used the mirror item:
Oct 5, 2014 10:03 AM

Jan 2014
BurntJelly said:
With SAO2 airing, it put me in the mood to re-watch this.

I must say, excellent start.

In the stills after they used the mirror item:

All planned xD
Oct 11, 2014 5:35 AM

Jun 2014
I'm watching this anime out of curiosity.
From what I heard I will probably hate the show,but there is only 1 way to know for sure.
Nov 30, 2014 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
Won't their physical bodies need food and water to survive too?
Dec 3, 2014 12:22 AM

Aug 2011
[/quote]
Dec 4, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2014
I liked it, seems like an interesting concept. Kirito is a solid character so far and I hope we see more of Cline, he was a good guy.
Dec 7, 2014 9:43 AM

Apr 2013
Sooo the infamous Sword Art Online, I finally started it. And the first episode didn't disappoint. The settings looks really interesting, if the characters start off good I'll love this.
Feb 22, 2015 12:43 AM

Jan 2014
It was imperative to give this a try, after all I read and hear about it.
MMOs aren't my cup of tea, but this was not so bad. It didn't even got me on the edge of my chair surely, but time passed quite smoothly.
Apr 25, 2015 7:37 AM
Mar 2015
The problem with the integrity of the plot is, that the gamers in real life don't get the nutrition to survive outside of the game. So everybody would probably die after 2 or 3 days. They could get food and water supplies via infusions in the hospital. But it's not ensured for everybody to get the notebook or even tower pc including the internet connection safely to the hospital. Third posibility is, to get the infusion directly to the patients. Well then they have no medically monitoring.. duh

Nevertheless I like the plot and concept of the show pretty much :)))
LesCruApr 25, 2015 7:44 AM
Apr 25, 2015 8:35 AM

Jun 2013
LesCru said:
The problem with the integrity of the plot is, that the gamers in real life don't get the nutrition to survive outside of the game. So everybody would probably die after 2 or 3 days. They could get food and water supplies via infusions in the hospital. But it's not ensured for everybody to get the notebook or even tower pc including the internet connection safely to the hospital. Third posibility is, to get the infusion directly to the patients. Well then they have no medically monitoring.. duh

Nevertheless I like the plot and concept of the show pretty much :)))

All bodies have been moved to hospitals and taking care of, and you know you can maintain a lifeless body alive for as long as you want it to.

Yet, you have made me think of something i have never questioned before and i never see anything about it, though it seems like a major flaw;
So how did they manage to moved them to hospitals whitout altering the connection?
Well, we can think that they moved them in some kind of transmitter vans and that you are able to disconnect players for a few seconds then restored the connection before the death machine triggered itself.
Kayaba should have anticipated far ahead enough~

But another question is raising in my head~
They have to wear the nervegear 24 hours-a-day so...
Do They Even wash their hair?!
Talk about a mold kingdom up there past those 2 bedrriden-years~
Apr 26, 2015 11:09 PM

Nov 2014
Yumekichi11 said:
IT'S AIRING NOW! My proof is the opening in the following spoiler
very nice with the added city view and that one male getting ready to fight. Along with IRL computer to go online.

Apart from that I shall start what really blew me off hard. The first thing is him in the following,

Along with the spoiler
when that shit happens, it was quite the adrenaline WTF rush. Even my friend was like THIS IS BAD! The black magician looks like the one from Sailor Moon Season 3 of the USA version. Man that red shit was also crazy.

What came even more shocking is in the spoiler
DEAD? Are you seriously shitting me from a game? Quite the thrill and in fact I can’t believe it since I never read anything else of this series. You really die on the spot with 0 HP. That is horrible! Terrible! The game is certainly not worth the risk of your life.

About the beginning, it was great in the spoiler
the characters are rich enough for my eyes. The setting surely is reminder of something like Diablo 3 Act 2 part. To say the least.

About Cline’s field practice, quite nice for moves in the spoiler
adding of course the little MOB monster. I was impressed with SFX and light used along with the setting.

About Cline’s hand shake, well that part in the spoiler
showed how rich Cline was in his expression. I agree with my friend he can be quite hysterical but funny at times. Though a little bit of a whiner. What really was amazing in this part is the setting and the sun. Both melding nicely.

About SHIT HITS THE FANS! Yeah that was quite the shocker in the spoiler
that bleeding hand but also how comedy got put in in the form of Cline meeting Kazuto whom I know his moves and all now that I spoiled myself.

About the girls, for one Rika "Liz, Lizbeth" Shinozaki in the spoiler
is well done. I like her appearance from this. I know a little of her but I want to see how she is expressed in what I know of her from the little spoilers gathering on the net.

This girl in the spoiler
looks also adorable, however I am curious as to her role in this series. I hope it’s not cattle food to see getting killed.

About thee end, nice leaving off with Cline and Kazuto in the spoiler
I like how they show the level and Hps. Rather neat TBH. There is also random girl going outside of her place that perhaps more will be shown later.

About OP/ED? (which one exactly?) the most that pleases me is the following,

Now that is nice of Kazuto along with the spoiler
showing him running, it’s perfect.

The other element I like is how Yuuki Asuna, whom I claim already for myself no matter who else does and the other girl in the spoiler
are shown and depicted. For one Asuna has a reflection so she will have 2 sides of her to deal with in terms of her character I am sure while the other one seems to be shown in total innocence whom LN readers I am sure know already. Other than that the list tells more.
  • The 2 swords in the spoiler
    manage to captivate. I assume one is of Asuna and the other of Kazuto? Well certainly the darker one is of my liking. WTF is Cloud’s sword? ROFL!

• The Tombstone with the names in the spoiler
    rather very pleasing but most of all the heavy reminder of death being quite present. Still a scary shit to see this emitting from a game.

• The character intros in the spoiler
    in general are nicely shown and have a good background each propitious to their character. Rather very well done.

• The monster catch in the spoiler
    shows and reminds of some nice monster killing despite being limited, I think it depicts well enough to remind a little.

• Finally a nice depiction of Asuna and Kazuto in the spoiler
    leaves a lot to desire. A show of friendship but perhaps eventually developing more as this scene shows them eating alone together or about to and just the 2 of them.
Suffice to say a very well done OP/ED? Whichever it is. Art nice.

So this series will be kind of Bokurano meets virtual reality in where once the player’s HP are 0 they die IRL. I was axing more the art being kind of like Valkyria Chronicles but alas not quite. Still strong 8/10 to start from me.

BTW The End pic in the spoiler
is a right click to save NOW! The art is amazing to say the least. Jaw is dropped.

Funk your spoilers are long! They took up over half the page!!!
Apr 30, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2011
Seems pretty good, wonder why so many people hate it though.
May 23, 2015 2:39 PM

Feb 2015
Seems pretty cool. It's only one episode so I don't get the bad ratings yet. It must get really bad later on for it to merit the sort hate that surrounds it. At the same time, SAO is second most popular show on MAL and has a score of 8.09. Maybe I'll end up liking it.
Jun 30, 2015 12:59 AM

Sep 2014
Oh there is a food seller at the food stall already.. NPC??

And what ? Government in real life are doing nothing because of creator playing with people lives ?
Jun 30, 2015 4:47 PM

Jun 2015
The first episode to the show is really good. Though I am really starting to like the OST a lot and the story is promising. Wonder what happens next...
Jul 2, 2015 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
I started watching this anime and well... get out while you still have the chance!
Don't watch it!
Jul 18, 2015 3:11 PM

Jul 2015
The first episode in this show is really good. It has a really nice set-up and the main character is a decent lead. The art looks really nice and the OST is freaking great.
Aug 1, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2015
Well this was a really great start to the series. The music is freaking good along with the art which is pretty beautiful and I like how Sword Art Online looks.

Kirito is just okay (though I do like his voice and that Bryce Papenbrook did a good job voicing him).
Sep 29, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2013
Not good. But not bad. Interesting. I like it.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Oct 20, 2015 5:05 PM

Oct 2015
I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those anime with a great premise but awful writing. I really like the premise despite how unrealistic it is (why can't they just arrest the creator, for god's sake?) but I have a feeling the writing is going to be very generic and the anime won't actually say anything profound about what's going on.
Oct 25, 2015 7:05 AM
Jan 2015
The creator of this thing is a sick psycho, yo.

My god, that death toll. That's not only the monsters. They're killing between themselves, right?

You know what I didn't expect? Klein lusting over Kirito's little sister, haha.

I can only suppose the reason why the creator wasn't arrested is why he is also in, probably at floor 100. He is the Final Boss.

I heard a lot of things about SAO, mostly bad, but it seems very promising, actually. I think I will continue.
Nov 8, 2015 9:53 AM

Apr 2013
For a first episode it was pretty good. The art looks really good (and beautiful at some parts) and I do like the OST so far (and the opening is pretty catchy and very good).
Nov 19, 2015 1:35 AM
Nov 2015
Kakoi
Nov 28, 2015 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
kirito the loser is always the loser. wish he died in this episode
Jan 22, 2016 4:32 AM
Jan 2016
Started watching this anime, and it is as good as I imagined!
Jan 30, 2016 8:21 AM

Jul 2013
Alright so that was the first episode of the most hated anime of all time and yet I already feel the cringe running through my body, please kill me.
Feb 16, 2016 3:28 AM

Aug 2015
The time has come. Or, more like, the whim has come. XD I'm watching this anime people love or hate with much ardor. I want to see it for myself.

Episode 1 left me engaged and terrified at the same time. I liked how the episode played with the viewers' emotions and thinking. Those "gtg! See ya later" and looking forward to a pizza in real life~ the timing and the execution were so effective that i felt a chill run down my spine. I guess it differs to everyone, but the idea of being stuck in a game, while your body is in a coma is just so terrifying for me. XD I'd rather be in a reality with my complete being and body. I'd rather be in the SnK world or FMAB world with my full body rather than inside SAO lol. This episode made me realize what i fear more. XD

Anyway, good first episode. Engaging and thrilling enough. Nice, effective interactions between Klein and Kirito. They're not empty interactions, they're informative about the story and gives active and natural character presentations.
蒼穹を舞う。
Feb 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Mar 2014
I went into this series expecting it to be just as cringeworthy as the LN

It's worse
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 1, 2016 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
Ok, so... SAO, let's see what all the fuss and hate it receives is all about.
Apr 9, 2016 9:56 AM

Apr 2014
Players of the game Sword Art Online are caught in the game's virtual reality. Only people who win the game can go back to the real world. And if one dies in the game, this person will die in real life, too. An interesting idea and a good first episode.
Jun 6, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2016
Nice episode. I've had imaginations as such of an MMORPG virtual world that works like virtual reality---unable to move your real body, unable to log out. Great to see it exemplified in anime.

Couple of questions, maybe I'm thinking too realistically about this, and maybe it will be answered later.... but if the creator went through the trouble of explaining potential realistic inconsistencies (like if someone forcibly ripped the NerveGear off), I might as well ask.

Trust me, these questions are basic as heck.

-HOW WILL THEY SATE THEIR HUNGER?
-HOW WILL THEY QUENCH THEIR THIRST?
-HOW DOES SLEEP WORK?
-DOES MUSCLE ATROPHY SUDDENLY BECOME IRRELEVANT WHEN A NERVEGEAR IS BEING WORN?

Alright, maybe one of those questions is an odd one out.

Also, why is the only language spoken Japanese, and all the users are Japanese---when it was supposedly an international release?

I don't know, the number of things that confuses me certainly detracts from my ability to enjoy this show.

6/10
Jun 7, 2016 10:55 AM
Dec 2014
primaltare said:

-HOW WILL THEY SATE THEIR HUNGER?
-HOW WILL THEY QUENCH THEIR THIRST?
-HOW DOES SLEEP WORK?
-DOES MUSCLE ATROPHY SUDDENLY BECOME IRRELEVANT WHEN A NERVEGEAR IS BEING WORN?

Alright, maybe one of those questions is an odd one out.

Also, why is the only language spoken Japanese, and all the users are Japanese---when it was supposedly an international release?

Some of those questions are actually answered later in a reasonable manner:

This is just my thought but even international release often employ a number of regional servers, and usually people won't pick the Japanese servers unless they live in Japan and / or speak Japanese. The other thing is that if I remember right, only around 10,000 copies were available at the beginning, so it can't have been a major international release in practice.
AxBattlerJun 7, 2016 11:05 AM
Jun 10, 2016 5:17 PM
Jun 2016
I hope he'll meet Klein again...! :( What an awesome first episode. I didn't think I'd be hooked that fast. HEre's to some more great episodes.
Jun 29, 2016 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
good opening...
also it is a very good anime
Jul 31, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2016
Virtual Reality is impressing. This anime reminds me of movie Matrix :p
Nov 10, 2016 11:52 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
i already fell in love just with the first ep

Nov 10, 2016 12:37 PM

Sep 2016
I remember watching this for the first time.. didn't expected them to get trapped in the video game...
Jan 8, 2017 8:24 PM

Jul 2014
Um, this show is pretty bad so far, but I'll see if it really is as bad as everyone says.

Also, lol at them not beta-testing much of the game before releasing it.
Mar 7, 2017 4:21 AM

Jan 2017
I hope can laughing to I hate Sword Art Online 1 anime, but... I am not laughing to I kindly loved SAO1 anime because it is lot people favorite/liked watched. I loved first episode which is make me amazing and surprised by start story. The OST is just enjoyable. I loved Kirito who is cute and shy. Then, currently people rated it 7.79 out of 10 scores on MAL since some people hated/dislike it which is make them salty, boring, killed and cancer. I know that some later episode is really bad, but I hope me can continue to enjoy watched this anime after episode.

10/10 scores
May 13, 2017 6:54 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty good introduction episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 17, 2017 6:45 AM

Mar 2009
Kinda OK first episode, nice animation, soundtrack and I like the colours but still the fact that something like beying trapped inside of a game like that, via Nerve Gear, bugged me so much that I couldn't enjoy it, it was just so stupid... I mean nobody freaking looked at a product to control it???? Like what the hell?
Sadly for me the stupidity of this is just too obvious
Pages (19) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

71 by ItsQuintaly »»
May 5, 12:05 AM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.