Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 7, 2012 3:51 AM
May 2010
If you have a good stories in mind share your ideas! However, try not to make them too long. A title with a brief summary and short character descriptions should do it.
If you have good art sketches, post some pictures! :)

This post exists to help those in need of improving their writing skills and those who need to further improve their artwork.
Jun 7, 2012 8:07 AM

Dec 2007
How can you make a manga series if you have nothing to offer yourself other than gathering idiotic bitches to serve you?

Those who need more writing skills are better off writing novels or whatever. Those who need to improve their artwork, they might aswell aim to make good art every now and then.

What this place lacks is of people that actually can do something to make a manga (aka comic series). Just happens to be failures 99.9% of the time these topic surface.

Stop dreaming of manga and try doing something that's worth your time. It's better to work you way into manga by actually working on it for a couple years, instead of asking here for a quick way out.
Jun 7, 2012 8:12 AM

Feb 2010
Toushi said:
How can you make a manga series if you have nothing to offer yourself other than gathering idiotic bitches to serve you?

Stop dreaming of manga and try doing something that's worth your time. It's better to work you way into manga by actually working on it for a couple years, instead of asking here for a quick way out.

You are my idol, lets get married.
Jun 8, 2012 5:22 PM
May 2010
Toushi said:

Those who need more writing skills are better off writing novels or whatever. Those who need to improve their artwork, they might aswell aim to make good art every now and then.

What this place lacks is of people that actually can do something to make a manga (aka comic series). Just happens to be failures 99.9% of the time these topic surface.

Im guessin ur not interested. O.o
Jun 9, 2012 5:21 AM
Feb 2012
Manga is 99% drawing, 1% story :D
Jun 9, 2012 7:17 AM

Dec 2011
clafann1 said:

What.No....I mean,cmon. Look at One Piece,the art puts a lot of people off,but the storyline is superb.

Jun 9, 2012 7:13 PM
May 2010
clafann1 said:

When making it 60% is art and 40% is story for most mangakas.
For the reader, however, I'd say around 70% is story and 30% is art.
Jun 10, 2012 2:28 PM
Feb 2012
I like One Piece as much as I like Bleach: ZERO!!! NADA!!! NIENTE!!!
Jun 12, 2012 3:17 AM

Dec 2011
clafann1 said:

Because you only watch anime and never tried reading OP. Oh well,ignorance is everyone's best friend. I'm not one to criticize other people's taste in anime.

changster1123 said:
clafann1 said:

oh and this.

Jun 12, 2012 3:48 AM
May 2010
spinecollect said:
clafann1 said:

Because you only watch anime and never tried reading OP. Oh well,ignorance is everyone's best friend. I'm not one to criticize other people's taste in anime.

changster1123 said:
clafann1 said:

oh and this.

what about "this"? o-o
Jun 12, 2012 4:25 AM

Dec 2011
changster1123 said:
spinecollect said:
clafann1 said:

changster1123 said:
clafann1 said:

oh and this.

what about "this"? o-o

Nothing I was just supporting your statement lol. Sorry if it came out wrongly.

Jun 12, 2012 5:07 AM

Feb 2008
This the part of Bakuman effect I hate.

Waebos, 99,9999999% of you will never be able to make anything nearly professional. Not even if you had three lives. Deal with it.
Jun 12, 2012 6:12 AM

Jun 2011
AlanViBritannia said:

Waebos, 99,9999999% of you will never be able to make anything nearly professional. Not even if you had three lives. Deal with it.

So what if it's not professional? If someone's dream is to make a comic - let him/her do this. It's not important if it's good since you love doing it ;o
I personally really want to make my own comic, but I know it's rarely possible, cause living on doing comics in my country is a bad idea. No one would buy it. But I'm sure - I'll start makin it one day. As a hobby of course~
Jun 12, 2012 7:16 AM

Feb 2008
Sure, go for it. You will waste good amount of time on nothing really productive, but yeah, sure, hobby this hobby that. :D
Maybe you people make hobby Chinese cartoon once!
Jun 12, 2012 7:41 AM

Jun 2011
So you think people should stop doing what they love, just because it's a waste of time and not productive? So why do you watch animes and read mangas? It's a waste of time also... ._____.
At last after making comics you learn how to draw and you're better at it. It's more productive than watching japanese cartoons after which u're... Well, u're not better at anything, u're just enjoying it ;o
Jun 12, 2012 8:13 AM

Feb 2008
It depends on the time wasted.

I waste about half an hour daily on anime/manga. So it does not affect my real life work much. But wasting much time on something like manga drawing, without any real goal, is quite meaningless. Sketching is fine, drawing a whole manga is a serious job, and doing it for nothing is just a waste of time.
Jun 12, 2012 9:47 AM
May 2010
regardless, i don't believe there should be any negativity or put downs sayn stuff like "it's hopeless or pointless, you're just wasting your time". If one wants to become a mangaka then nobody should take away that person's motivation. And hey, who knows he/she mite turn out to be a great mangaka. In the end, no one has the right to say anything about someone's pursuit even if that person ends up being part of the 99.999999% that fail or give up. Statistics are statistics. They shouldn't be used to demotivate people or make them lose hope. God i'm saying really positive stuff. Just finished Mahou Shoujo Madoka. Man that shit is GREAT.
Jun 12, 2012 10:22 AM

Apr 2012
changster1123 said:
This post exists to help those in need of improving their writing skills and those who need to further improve their artwork.

I really don't see how this topic could possibly help in improving these skills, in any way.
Jun 12, 2012 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
AlanViBritannia said:

So much negativity..... Also, of course it'd be a waste of time if people are just doing it as a random hobby (with no real purpose in mind) instead of actually pursuing it in some form and actually going for professional work.

That said, if people just wanna make their own comic/manga just for the heck of it, there's nothing wrong with that as well (just as much as there's nothing wrong if you like watching anime as a pastime). It's their own choice anyway, whether or not it's an actual waste of time depends on the actual use it has for them (productivity, honing your skills, recreational etc.)

Endelerius said:
changster1123 said:

I really don't see how this topic could possibly help in improving these skills, in any way.

Yeah it's probably better to go on art sites where drawing/comic-making are more prevalent so people can actually critique each other.
ronriJun 12, 2012 10:39 AM
Jun 12, 2012 11:14 AM

Feb 2008
I excuse myself if I am crushing someone's dreams. I am real person, I don't like making people believe things that ain't gonna happen. Might be harsh sometimes, but at lest, I speak the truth.

There is no light for 99.9999999% of mangakas. And even thouse 0.0000001 are Japanese. No American fanboy is going to be mangaka. You can stick to superheroes & stuff, there you have like 0.1% chance of success.
Jun 12, 2012 11:22 AM

Sep 2011
AlanViBritannia said:
I excuse myself if I am crushing someone's dreams. I am real person, I don't like making people believe things that ain't gonna happen. Might be harsh sometimes, but at lest, I speak the truth.

The hilarity of your insistence on your percentage ratings and views on the comic-making industry as well as your attempts in making it all sound like absolute fact is pure gold. I don't mind people being a realist and providing the cons of going into such an industry as there's nothing wrong with it and it provides better insight, but down-playing people for pursuing goals (as hard or unattainable as they may seem) and calling them weaboos is just plain pathetic.

Unless you point out that you weren't referring to people in the thread as weaboos on your first post, then I don't see the point of you needing to brandish your bitterness towards them if that was really what you were trying to do. If it was, then you obviously weren't very clear about it.

Also it doesn't seem like you fully understood my comment as it sounds as if you thought I was offended by it, so I suggest you read it again as I actually partly agreed with you on my first paragraph:
Also, of course it'd be a waste of time if people are just doing it as a random hobby (with no real purpose in mind) instead of actually pursuing it in some form and actually going for professional work.

That said, if people just wanna make their own comic/manga just for the heck of it, there's nothing wrong with that as well (just as much as there's nothing wrong if you like watching anime as a pastime). It's their own choice anyway, whether or not it's an actual waste of time depends on the actual use it has for them (productivity, honing your skills, recreational etc.)
ronriJun 12, 2012 11:30 AM
Jun 12, 2012 11:29 AM

Feb 2008
Hm, actually I wasn't referring to people in this thread as waeboos. I was referring to all the anime fans who discovered their hidden talents after watching Bakuman. :)
Jun 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Sep 2011
AlanViBritannia said:
Hm, actually I wasn't referring to people in this thread as waeboos. I was referring to all the anime fans who discovered their hidden talents after watching Bakuman. :)

Fair point, I can see why you would say that as it can make some people who aren't committed enough to actually want to start dreaming about becoming one.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making comics/mangas for recreational purposes. Like I said before: It's their own choice anyway, whether or not it's an actual waste of time depends on the actual use it has for them (productivity, honing your skills, recreational etc.)
ronriJun 13, 2012 6:40 PM
Jun 12, 2012 6:26 PM
Feb 2012
I think you got it wrong, the goal of majority of people outside japan aren't to be mangakas, they simply want to build a story using an hybrid style (the european/american influences plus the manga traces), they're aspiring to be comic designers not mangakas...
Jun 12, 2012 9:30 PM

Mar 2009
clafann1 said:
I think you got it wrong, the goal of majority of people outside japan aren't to be mangakas, they simply want to build a story using an hybrid style (the european/american influences plus the manga traces), they're aspiring to be comic designers not mangakas...

What this guy said. I think there is a lot of back and forth between the two countries. Americans embrace manga and Japanese have been influenced by American Cartoons and Comic Books for decades. You'd be surprised how far reaching it's influence is in films, games, graphics novels and even your typical American comic book. But, because manga has its own visual language that isn't easily receptive because of cultural differences, it is hard to adapt a palatable style for the American public. Bottom line, if you really think you want to be an illustrator who is influenced by manga, go for it. It is absolutely possible to make a career out of it and plenty of people have.
Jun 13, 2012 3:27 AM

Dec 2007
perspective said:
What this guy said. I think there is a lot of back and forth between the two countries. Americans embrace manga and Japanese have been influenced by American Cartoons and Comic Books for decades. You'd be surprised how far reaching it's influence is in films, games, graphics novels and even your typical American comic book. But, because manga has its own visual language that isn't easily receptive because of cultural differences, it is hard to adapt a palatable style for the American public. Bottom line, if you really think you want to be an illustrator who is influenced by manga, go for it. It is absolutely possible to make a career out of it and plenty of people have.

True, dat. It's just that OP seems more like wanting to take the honour of supervising the "team" instead of asking for some help with the skills he/she already has. You people are talking about putting actual effort in something you want to do. This doesn't really look like it...

I honestly think people think too easy when it comes to creating manga. Every artistical thing needs a lot of effort, time and practice. It's not something you easily learn in short time. Too bad that for a lot of people are dreaming like in anime/manga, that they're magically able to be a complete proffesional in no time, with minimum effort put in. No, that won't happen. It will most likely end up you starting at it and with no time, you just leave it for dust to create your wonderful manga.

If you have interest, go for it. Sometimes it's better to let people fall in order to learn than putting a lot of effort trying to convince them. Instead of making manga, there is more potential working in a different department of the art industry. What about books or games? You can still do about the samething without asking for help. Drawing manga, or anything related to that...just do it for fun in your free time.
Jun 13, 2012 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
AlanViBritannia said:
Sketching is fine, drawing a whole manga is a serious job, and doing it for nothing is just a waste of time.

We better stop watching tv shows other than news, and stop doing anything unrelated to work, house keeping, and family business for the rest of our lives, cause ya know, it's a waste of time. Might as well become robots.
Nov 17, 2012 8:30 PM

Aug 2012
AlanViBritannia said:

There is no light for 99.9999999% of mangakas. And even thouse 0.0000001 are Japanese. No American fanboy is going to be mangaka. You can stick to superheroes & stuff, there you have like 0.1% chance of success.

mark crilley.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Feb 1, 2014 9:06 PM
Dec 2011
AlanViBritannia said:

oh well sry my friend but that was extremely stupid, first if everyone though like that there would be no mangakas, second if you are a "real person" THEN WHY THE FUCK YOU LIKE ANIME BECAUSE anime is all about imagination and dreams, and only people that dont have dreams like you end up being failures, of course everyone have to be the minimum realistic not to make stupid mistakes, but if you have a chance of being good at something and just because 99% of them fail you dont try, then mate you are the stupidest person on earth

trust me im one of the most realistic persons you will ever meet but i dont enjoy saying stupid stuff like you were, because being realistic is not saying that you cant do something because 99% cant, realistic is to know your limitations and know what you can do or cant do, just because they try being mangakas doesnt mean they are stupid or unrealistic get the difference mate?
MaximilianWalkerFeb 1, 2014 9:23 PM
Aug 8, 2014 3:06 PM
Jul 2014
clafann1 said:
to you it may be but without the story you couldn't make the drawings . anybody can draw a picture but only good artist can translate words into art
BOBO
Aug 8, 2014 3:11 PM
Jul 2014
Pompon-nee said:
AlanViBritannia said:

So what if it's not professional? If someone's dream is to make a comic - let him/her do this. It's not important if it's good since you love doing it ;o
I personally really want to make my own comic, but I know it's rarely possible, cause living on doing comics in my country is a bad idea. No one would buy it. But I'm sure - I'll start makin it one day. As a hobby of course~
you said it right , the world is cruel and gangrenous place,most people dream the impossible and never make it but when they do how could you say someones dreams are foolish,and a waste of time , we sleep for 6 to 8 hours a day and thats a major waste of time.
BOBO
Aug 10, 2014 7:44 AM

Mar 2014
Aug 10, 2014 7:50 AM
May 2014
Where is the "WAKE UP" option? It takes half a million USD to just produce an OVA indie, this option is the smartest one.
Aug 10, 2014 7:51 AM

Mar 2014
Bloodania said:
Where is the "WAKE UP" option? It takes half a million USD to just produce an OVA indie, this option is the smartest one.

This is a necrothread, OP ain't coming back bro.
Aug 10, 2014 8:02 AM
May 2014
Cyaegha said:
Bloodania said:

This is a necrothread, OP ain't coming back bro.

I didn't realize this thread started in 2012.
Aug 10, 2014 1:17 PM

May 2014
Wait why would I post my ideas here?
Whats to stop people from stealing my ideas and vice versa?
I've been here way too long...
Aug 21, 2015 1:05 PM
Aug 2015
Making a manga called Mirakurahunta or Miracle Hunter in English. Want to make it a long series like One Piece. I have the story i can draw on paper but i want to use my computer... Anyone know and good, free software for making manga. Any help would be great thanks.
Nov 18, 2015 11:19 AM
Nov 2015
People who call others waebos simply because that person isn't Japanese and they want to create something that originated from Japan are very ignorant. And to tell those people who want to make manga that aren't Japanese that they will fail? You are an ignorant prejudice Nay-Sayer and the world has more then enough of those. If an American, Englishman, Brazilian, Ect. Wants to make a manga, I say let them! The Japanese seem to have a very narrow view concerning the cultures of other countries besides their own. Who is to say a Manga about life in the Wild West wouldn't be popular here in America? And who better then Americans to make it? Or the civil war? Or the Industrial Revolution?

Or how about European countries? Yes, I admire how some Japanese Mangakas do well in certain areas when they use European themes but they often fall very short as a whole to the brutal and colorful culture that existed in Europe.

I'm not saying Japanese doing anime and manga sucks. Far from! I'm saying that if other people got into it too we would have much diverse media then just one nation that seems to focus more on their domestic market. And the Japanese really do often focus more on their domestic market.
Nov 18, 2015 11:55 AM

Nov 2013
Monkey_D_Calum said:
Making a manga called Mirakurahunta or Miracle Hunter in English. Want to make it a long series like One Piece. I have the story i can draw on paper but i want to use my computer... Anyone know and good, free software for making manga. Any help would be great thanks.

If you want to make a good quality manga or whatever, you need to invest some money into it.
Nov 28, 2015 10:48 AM
Nov 2015
I have good story and i work on it Every day for a year now and I have hole first season haha but i can't start my manga because my art skill sucks soo I really need someone to work with me on this manga
Jul 24, 2016 9:26 PM
Jul 2016
I have like an idea and a few story archs in mind and I already have the plot and idea going on, I honestly haven't got a name for it yet when I write I just title it as "Bored Stuff" But yeah I have a huge summary of the first three arch on my phone I'm really want to have a manga but i suck at drawling if anybody up for it just idk how you do it on this site but like reply or something. Thanks.
Jan 21, 2017 2:05 PM

Apr 2011
ainthemix said:
Sure, go for it. You will waste good amount of time on nothing really productive, but yeah, sure, hobby this hobby that. :D
Maybe you people make hobby Chinese cartoon once!

This man clearly hasn't achieved anything in his life.

The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. - Randy Pausch
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2017 10:30 AM
Apr 2015
Theres a lot of people who write their series but they just want to see it alive. It shouldnt be a problem if you cant draw. A lot of people just love having their art work out there and that love to help out writers. Most writes never take credit for the art work. I want to make a manga and i for sure as hell need help.
Jul 12, 2017 9:19 PM
Jul 2017
clafann1 said:

holy crap i need you in my life
Sep 7, 2017 1:06 AM
May 2014
So I have been working with my friends in class we have a pretty good story but they think after a month the manga will die because of most can't really draw wich is sad would any here be apart of a manga ? we thought of doing it in English first and then later on maybe in Japanese
Sep 15, 2017 1:14 PM

Jul 2013
lol my problem here is not that I can't draw or can't think up of a great story, it's just I don't have the willpower to see it through past the first chapter. TRied drawing a webcomic but could only get to chapter 1 (past a prologue) then I lost interest...

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

368 by nin-tendo »»
8 hours ago

» "Tenchi Muyo!" TAKARA Doll Series (1995/1997?)

MasterTasuke - Yesterday

0 by MasterTasuke »»
Yesterday, 12:45 PM

» The Poetry thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheConquerer - Sep 17, 2015

221 by SkiesOfBlue »»
May 8, 11:14 PM

» 10 NEW Anime to watch Spring 2024

Marinate1016 - May 7

0 by Marinate1016 »»
May 7, 4:42 PM

» Impact of Anime on India's Youth & Its effects on Family Dynamics- A Survey

Anituber69 - Apr 10

7 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
May 7, 12:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.