Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 17, 2013 10:57 AM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
YuiDark said:
The hunter x hunter 99 has better Soundtrack then the 2011 however.
The 2011 has better fights scenes.
Better animation.
No fillers ( Exception episode 76 of 2011 which is a filler )
Better voice acting.
Then again Hunter x Hunter has a better soundtrack to 2011 is just better that's a fact not a opinion!
It's an opinion.

In My world it's a fact! Jk
May 17, 2013 11:01 AM

May 2013
We live in the same world ^.^ hehe
May 17, 2013 11:06 AM

Nov 2010
only4anime said:
IntroverTurtle said:
only4anime said:
It reall comes down to which you value more...the animation (11) or the ost (99).
Or that (11) has less filler, more blood, more story, better art, and probably a couple of other things.

The music could make or break a scene; the same scene that I found epic while watching the old one was meh to me when I saw it in the new one.
Yeah I understand, I was just pointing out that the animation was not the only thing (11) had on it.
May 17, 2013 11:12 AM

Aug 2012
only4anime said:
We live in the same world ^.^ hehe

I suppose XD!
May 17, 2013 1:13 PM
Apr 2013
I happen to be one of those people who don't mind the soundtrack in the 2011 series. I still like the 1999 series a little better, but it has nothing to do with the music.
May 17, 2013 1:17 PM
Sep 2012
Is this a new thread about 99 vs 11 or old one?
May 17, 2013 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
Idk cuz the soundtrack for 2011 has been alot better than most tracks on 99 lately. Not only that but it is more bloody and brutal to watch and has way better pacing. Plus usually the most epic scenes in Hunter x Hunter are executed a lot better.
May 17, 2013 8:46 PM

Nov 2012
HurricaneSweet said:
Is this a new thread about 99 vs 11 or old one?
It's an old one.
May 18, 2013 5:48 AM

Feb 2013
HxH 1999 had much better music. Never really noticed it much in this version.
Jun 27, 2013 5:45 AM
Aug 2008
My problems with 2011:

Terrible soundtrack apart from a few good ones.
How Nen is depicted. Its vanilla compared to 1999.
Minor and major changes to certain characters developments and how they are portrayed - specifically Killua and Hisoka. They made took away the internal struggle Killua had during the Hunter exam between his assassin instincts and friendship with Gon. E.g. Killua going back with Gon when Gon runs back to help Kurapica and Leorio. In 1999 Killua let Gon go by himself.
The rushed feel. The dialogue doesn't feel like real people talking, The emotions feel forced and isn't intelligent. Almost like the series is holding the viewers hand and walking them through what's happening.
Lazy fight scenes. 2011 has better animation compared to 1999, but its two differrent eras. What's Madhouse's excuse for crappy action compared to the other shounens.
The series is dumbed down for children. Same thing happened with Full Metal Alchemist. The originals had a much more dark and mature feel.

The thing I like most about the remake is the improvement in animation and artwork. Although I prefer the artwork in the original Greed Island ovas much much more.

Personally I like the remake more than the original up until the Phantom Troupe arc. I think at this point and especially the Greed island ovas are much more superior to 2011.
Jun 27, 2013 11:57 AM

Oct 2011
Yamanashi_Ken said:
Although I prefer the artwork in the original Greed Island ovas much much more.

I was fine with all of the points you brought up except for this one. I don't necessarily agree with some of the other things, but this one I definately don't agree with. It's not that I think you're wrong in saying so since it is your opinion, just from my perspective I don't know how anyone could prefer the original Greed Island OVAs animation to the new series. At least the 99 TV series and Spiders OVA were able to capture amazing detail through the cel animation in a lot of scenes that the digital animation of the reboot just couldn't capture.

In the Greed Island OVAs case, however, it was done during a trasitional time period from traditional cel animation to cg/digital animation. In my opinion, these OVAs were included in the majority that had fairly lackluster animation with very rigid and awkward character movements and cardboard cutout looking character designs/backdrops. One of the worst examples was in Gon's fight with Genthru when they animated Genthru's arms extremely disproportioned from the rest of his design that made it look like his arms were bigger than his entire design when he was attempting to grab Gon's arms.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with your opinion at all, but I just always felt those OVAs were the weak point of HxH. To each his own I guess.
Jun 27, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
Yamanashi_Ken said:
My problems with 2011:
Minor and major changes to certain characters developments and how they are portrayed - specifically Killua and Hisoka. They made took away the internal struggle Killua had during the Hunter exam between his assassin instincts and friendship with Gon. E.g. Killua going back with Gon when Gon runs back to help Kurapica and Leorio. In 1999 Killua let Gon go by himself.

See this is why I can't stand the 1999 version. What you described here are exactly what 1999 version twisted and changed the characters from how they actually depicted in the manga. Why would Killua went back with Gon to save Leorio at such early point? That's totally out of character. They added so many fillers that actually changed and whitewashed the character of Gon and Killua into very cliche and predictable shounen archetypes. For example: Gon is turned into a goody goody angelic average boy who would feel sad and wonder why his dad abandoned him (when in the manga and the 2011 we all know how absolutely positive he is and never sulk about his daddy: he actually thinks it's cool that Ging left him because that means the Hunters way is something so special that's worth giving up for, and he want to be that too. That's how Gon's mind works, he is supposedly to have weird logic that puzzled others, he's not your average boy hero with typical vulnerability that audience are supposed to feel relate to).

And 1999 version added all these 'extra' unnecessary and totally silly 'struggles' that Killua never had. Killua was never emo about his assassin instincts, he never had those silly dark urges or struggled the way 1999 laughably portrayed. He was so CLICHED in the 1999 version. While in manga, Killua ALWAYS have a bright, cheeky and normally cheerful demeaner and never gets emo in that early stage. What really torment Killua is something entirely different later. Not to mention they added a mary sue filler character to whitewash how Killua's family are just underground police who kill bad guys.

But 1999 fans would chalk that up as 'development' and 'deeper character study' and 'touching' and what not, without realizing those fillers twisted the characters so much that they don't match what's become of the characters later in the series. But then so many of them were introduced to the series from 1999 version so the 1st impression stuck, and they did enjoy that version, so whatever your preference is...I don't care. I just find it annoying everytime these fans HAVE to bring up how 2011 version did the characters wrong, cut out development and what not...when in fact it was 1999 version that did it wrong and very badly.
kcacoJun 27, 2013 4:05 PM
Jun 27, 2013 11:20 PM
Oct 2011
^Please also write a novel about how stupid 2011 is for omitting Kaito early on, changing his relationship with Gon and dropping so much hints that he was going to die x________________x

PS Ensatsu-ken is my new favorite poster.
chikkychappyJun 27, 2013 11:28 PM
Jun 28, 2013 2:40 AM
Jul 2012
The soundtrack is half the awesomeness, just check out this one http://youtu.be/bk0F5iXp-t8?t=11m30s in the greed island ovas.
Jun 28, 2013 5:00 AM
May 2012
Even if some manga readers prefer the 99 version it's pointless to say that it's better than the new one now. Even if you convince someone that the 99 was better he would be obliged to watch the new version because it's still running. Manga readers can choose to not watch the new anime but not anime-only viewers.

99 version has a great soundtrack but now the 2011 soundtracsw are way better than before. 99 versions have many fillers and characters aren't well portrayed, they took too much liberties( seriously, Killua is afraid of fishes, Gon is too nice , Kurapika's tears etc.) there is also Kon fillers, Machi fillers... They also skipped Hisoka vs Kastro fight.

2011 version is not flawless either but their mistakes are not as grave as the other version. I understand why they didn't show Kaito in the 1st episode because it was slated for 45 episodes but he could have been introduced in episode 37, they changed many things about Kaito but his relationship with Gon is still the same even if you are a anime-only viewer. It's even more noticeable. I didn't like what they did to Leorio too( the arm wrestling part and the Zoldyck Gate).

But about Nen, I don't see what they have done wrong, it's portrayed like in the manga. And now we have Sakuga animation every week.

The 2011 version is arguably better and a new viewer should watch the new version or watch the previous one and rewatch all the episodes of the new version because characters are not well portrayed in the 99 version. Now, the 2011 version is practically flawless, it's one the best shounen anime adaptation that I have ever seen.
DemonspeedJun 28, 2013 5:19 AM
Jun 28, 2013 10:50 AM

Feb 2012
chikkychappy said:
^Please also write a novel about how stupid 2011 is for omitting Kaito early on, changing his relationship with Gon and dropping so much hints that he was going to die x________________x

As bad as Kaito was handled in the 2011, it's still watch-able. It can never live up anywhere close to how horrible 1999 ruined the main characters and the obnoxious stupid fillers that ruin any enjoyment I could have.

Lolack said:
The soundtrack is half the awesomeness, just check out this one http://youtu.be/bk0F5iXp-t8?t=11m30s in the greed island ovas.

I don't see how this track is anything other than repetitive, dated, have that TV show cheapness feel and felt slap onto the scene. There're better examples from 1999 series in my opinion. A lot of the synth tracks from 1999 series sounded really dated (not retro, just in a bad way). A lot of the 2011 tracks sounded cinematic and awesome. It's just a personal preference, I just prefer orchestral score. The ones they used in Phantom Troupe arc, G.I. and Chimera Ant arc are brilliant.
kcacoJun 28, 2013 10:54 AM
Jul 11, 2013 5:12 PM
Jul 2013
In differences regarding the hunter x hunter and the 2011 version of it
the difference is that in regard to people who want a lasting and suspenceful anime then the 1999 version is the one which brings in the reality of the world
The 2011 version however runs much faster and brings in the more comical stuff and defiance of reality that other anime has which the 1999 version lacks so if you want more comical and less harsh and realistic then 2011 version is the one
However if you desire a more realistic view of life in an anime and how it still defies reality on some stuff but has most aspects of it then the 1999 version is the one you want to go with
Jul 11, 2013 5:17 PM

Nov 2010
knightmage14 said:
In differences regarding the hunter x hunter and the 2011 version of it
the difference is that in regard to people who want a lasting and suspenceful anime then the 1999 version is the one which brings in the reality of the world
The 2011 version however runs much faster and brings in the more comical stuff and defiance of reality that other anime has which the 1999 version lacks so if you want more comical and less harsh and realistic then 2011 version is the one
However if you desire a more realistic view of life in an anime and how it still defies reality on some stuff but has most aspects of it then the 1999 version is the one you want to go with
I don't see how the 1999 version is more realistic. And the 2011 version has the Chimera ant arc so how can you say it's more ocmical and doesn't show the reality of the world.
Jul 11, 2013 6:53 PM
May 2013
haha psh 1999 more realistic? more like more drawn out to give out the illusion that it's "realistic". Don't get me wrong, the original is the first one I've watched and got me into this series way back then and I definitely think there are some aspects in it that were done better than the 2011 but the biggest difference between the two, is that the original sure likes to take its time that kinda follows the same mold as these other shonen animes where they just have this habit of stalling for only god knows why while the 2011 (for the most part) feels like we're achieving some good amount of progress in every episode. This is what makes HxH 2011 unique to most, if not all, the battle shonen animes I've watched and I freaking love it for having broken this cliche.

I also have to get a little chuckle every time I see someone comment about 1999 being harsher/ more brutal. Besides the whole scene about Killua crushing a heart (which I still find cheesy) what's exactly the argument for this? I think the vibrant colors are fooling a lot of people around here cuz I think they're really about the same AND even more so for the 2011 with the chimera ant arc so far
Jul 11, 2013 9:49 PM
Jul 2013
i mean that it shows the depth of what brutality is like you see in the 2011 version its more like a normal comedy type anime lines and it shows things that are like for a little younger audience altough it still shows some aspects of needed to be older, the 1999 is more brutal and shows what real fights or suspence can do i was imersed in the depth of the suspence on each episode and what they can do and they show some interesting and funny comedy in 1999 in small portions like episode 26 of 1999 has a funny scene which is not in the 2011 version episode 18 it shows progress but i like to see battles more extended to put you on the edge of your seats to know what happens and the art is good in 2011 not as dark as 1999 but the story line sorta lost its suspence in most aspects of the original story line and it misses some episodes from the 1999 series like the boat hotel and being stranded on an old ship its so suspenceful that i loved those episodes so the 2011 is good its funny in most parts and it keeps you focused and up to speed but the brutality of what usually appears in 1999 is lost and the suspence is in hardley any parts of the episodes and when i mean realistic is like in 2011 episode 16 or 17 or 18 Gon was hit with a dart from that cobra guy hisoka sayed his dart wont make him move for it makes his muscle relax but gon was moving like normal and it showed him having more control of his body then saied in the 1999 version it actually showed gon having difficulty to move showing the realistic part of it that's what i mean by realistic
Jul 12, 2013 1:15 AM

Feb 2013
knightmage14 said:
i mean that it shows the depth of what brutality is like you see in the 2011 version its more like a normal comedy type anime lines and it shows things that are like for a little younger audience altough it still shows some aspects of needed to be older, the 1999 is more brutal and shows what real fights or suspence can do i was imersed in the depth of the suspence on each episode and what they can do and they show some interesting and funny comedy in 1999 in small portions like episode 26 of 1999 has a funny scene which is not in the 2011 version episode 18 it shows progress but i like to see battles more extended to put you on the edge of your seats to know what happens and the art is good in 2011 not as dark as 1999 but the story line sorta lost its suspence in most aspects of the original story line and it misses some episodes from the 1999 series like the boat hotel and being stranded on an old ship its so suspenceful that i loved those episodes so the 2011 is good its funny in most parts and it keeps you focused and up to speed but the brutality of what usually appears in 1999 is lost and the suspence is in hardley any parts of the episodes and when i mean realistic is like in 2011 episode 16 or 17 or 18 Gon was hit with a dart from that cobra guy hisoka sayed his dart wont make him move for it makes his muscle relax but gon was moving like normal and it showed him having more control of his body then saied in the 1999 version it actually showed gon having difficulty to move showing the realistic part of it that's what i mean by realistic

Something tells me you haven't watched all of the 2011 version do you? :)
Jul 12, 2013 2:19 AM
Jul 2013
well it is still on going
Jul 12, 2013 2:30 AM

Nov 2012
Rushed start. That really wasn't necessarily. Also worse choice of colours in my opinion. For the rest it is pretty much the same anime.
Jul 12, 2013 7:09 AM
Jul 2013
i have not finished the 2011 yet i know it has more comedy in it
Jul 12, 2013 10:35 AM

Jun 2011
knightmage14 said:
i have not finished the 2011 yet i know it has more comedy in it

I don't recall seeing much comedy in the 2011 version. Because the 2011 version does not have the fillers (like the speculation of the final exam being a written test and the ship exam), a lot of the comedy was taken out rather than put in. In fact, most of the comedy I remember are just fun interactions between the characters (mainly Gon and Killua) which I believe were in the original as well.

Just out of curiosity, how far are you in the 2011 version?
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jul 12, 2013 10:52 AM

May 2013
You can say anything, but the 1999 version isn't violent. The 2011 one is much more brutal,especially in the Yorkshin city arc. Plus, the 2011 version contains the Chimera Ant arc,that is the most gory and disturbing arc of HxH. And Madhouse,until now, is doing a great job. The anime now is almost identical to the manga.
Jul 13, 2013 10:04 PM

Apr 2011
1999 ended when gon and kilua were teleported near kite

2011 continues after that
Mar 1, 2014 5:34 AM
Mar 2014
Well unlike everyone else here I like both versions of Hunter x Hunter equally, no I haven't read the manga. I just have one little problem with the 2011 version... voices. No matter what I just can't get used to the voices and I miss everyone's old voices. (MUHAHHAAH now crazy manga fans can't tell me that I should like the 2011 version more because it follows the manga because I have no problem with that 3:) )
Mar 1, 2014 5:32 PM

May 2008
I don't really get the hysteria about OST from 1999. Sure got some uptempo stuff, but the arrangement is subpar compared to the OST of 2011. Besides, Chimera Ant Arc got some killer tracks, really enhances the disturbing and tense feel this arc aims to create.
Mar 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
I started watching the new anime and I enjoy it so far!

On an aesthetic point of view I think I like both character designs but I have to say I miss the colors (as well as the backgrounds) from the 99 anime. (the new ones are cleaner but also much more saturated) As for the animation, the 2011 one is to me smoother and overall better.

I understand what most people on this topic mean when they say the old anime felt more realistic because, well, it did feel more realistic to me too.

The new adaptation follows step by step the manga and that's nice but I also happen to think that anime are supposed to add something to the original work. The 99 anime did feel slow sometimes, but it felt much more concrete.

I don't believe Killua was portrayed as "an emo" at all. Instead, I think he was being pretty human because his childhood was terrible and honestly being a regular boy without any inner demon after going through all of this doesn't feel real. (the change of his face from the 2011 anime when we see him killing Johness almost feels like a split personality. It's a bit weird.) (Don't get me wrong Killua from the 2011 anime is adorable. But that's kind of the whole problem.)

The scene where Gon is paralyzed because of the poison and look more than emotionally and physically drained from the 99 anime added something because Gon is 12 years old and he's not invincible. He's only a boy. And it is a nice reminder.

Generally speaking, it's all going very fast and it doesn't make me as emotional as the old anime does. It doesn't feel as intense either. (Illumi was much more creepier in the old one and Hisoka's voice portrayed him, in my opinion, much better!) I also think the OST from 99 was better in a matter of emotions.

However I haven't watched the 2011 anime entirely yet. And I'm being critical but I am honestly thankful they remade it, it's mainly very good and most of the voice actors are doing a wonderful job. It feels good to see them all again.
LittlebreadsMar 24, 2014 3:45 PM
Mar 25, 2014 6:12 AM

Jul 2012
99 version is trash compared to 2011. just my taste though
Cty Best mid
Oct 23, 2014 2:59 AM
Jan 2014
I'm currently watching the 2011 version, now that it has been completed and it has its ups and downs, mostly graphic-wise, I preferred how the old backgrounds looked, especially the tower walls at the hunter examination and some of the characters' colors, like Hisoka's hair being dark green in the first part or Killua's shirt being dark red.

I like how the quality is better - not as smudged and blurry as the 1999th one was or how now its 16:9 and the last thing i dont like was in the 1999th, Killua took out the serial killer's heart and it looked like an actual heart, while in the 2011st one, he took some bag of flesh, from which blood was dripping, that was really stupid.
Oct 23, 2014 3:53 AM
Dec 2013
- 1999 shows the full fight between Kurapika and Hisoka; 2011 and the manga didn't (however, the fight still took place, and can be considered canon).
- 1999 also has an awkward filler fight between Gon and Illumi, which never happened in the manga or 2011.
- 2011 shows the full fight between Hisoka and Kastro. 1999 didn't.
- 2011 animates the Chimera Ant arc and the 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc
- A lot of characters have different hair and eye colour; also differnent coloured clothes between the two versions
- 1999 has four filler episodes; 2011 has two recap episodes
- 1999 adapted chapter 1 better in the first episode, showing Kite at the beginning; it's like the only notable thing that keeps the 1999 version from being obsolete
wildhoodJun 14, 2015 9:54 AM
Oct 28, 2014 5:25 PM

Jul 2014
electric-fan said:
>TOPIC<

Can anyone tell me? And why is it the 1999 version is being graded higher score?
If I haven't seen both the 2011 and the 1999 version, which one would you recommend me more?

anyone who has truly seen both ... would recommend the 1999 ..
realize that most people on myanimelist (wich hold mostly a new community of anime watchers ) and on the internet only saw the 2011 and are hypocrites that pretend to have seen both ...

the hxh 1999 is more detailed, is darker / grittier , has a better portrait of killua /hisoka (wich are 2 important character) and add much more tension/atmosphere.....

all 2011 does is cutting edges on the 1999 version ( almost same screenplay and stuff , but some actions/fights/dialogues are missing) refresh/add vivid colors and goes further ....

needless to say i love both ..
yes probably the new people getting into the show , the 2011 would be maybe better cause its also easier , u dont have to hassle with oav and special episodes ...

but hxh purist might consider the 1999
apellonOct 28, 2014 5:31 PM
Oct 28, 2014 10:40 PM

Aug 2014
1999 (minus GI) > manga > 2011

and i watched 2011 first
Oct 28, 2014 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
a fuck ton of quality
Oct 29, 2014 6:10 AM

Jun 2014
Both are great but 2011 covered more material than the 1999 version.
Oct 30, 2014 7:28 AM
Dec 2013
HUGE!!
Oct 30, 2014 7:29 AM

Apr 2011
2011 is mainstream and has fanboys
Oct 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2014
Valaskjalf said:
2011 is mainstream

No, it's not pouplar enough to be called mainstream just yet.
Oct 30, 2014 11:02 AM

Dec 2013
The difference is Madhouse
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jun 14, 2015 9:02 AM
Jun 2015
I watched the 1999 version 3 years after it's release. I was still a nine year old kid back then. I really loved it probably because it touched me a lot (I have to say...) I lived in a time where scanlations still didn't exist and manga was virtually unknown in our country until 2006 so I grew up believing that it was the original story (until I read the manga of course). When I was able to read the manga though..... I didn't even notice the changes lol... I did say at some point "hey I didn't see this on the anime" and "where the heck is that episode drawn??" (I was looking for the Zebiru island episode and I later discovered that it was only a filler lol). I really liked both. I didn't feel outraged or anything. When the 2011 remake came, well all I didn't like was the animation lol. Most of the people wouldn't agree with me, I know. It's simply just because I was used to seeing vivid colours when it came to animes. Animes back then were coloured vividly and had shadows like almost everywhere haha (and the feel like they were all hand drawn because of the solid outlines and made us forgive crappy drawn animes because of that impression lol). I know most you don't like the 99 version because as you argued- differences in character design or whatever... but I just think that the 99 version was made to attach to the viewers you know. Animes back then meant a whole lot more to us because they became part of and marked our childhood so studios back then tried hard to make characters very likable. Good guys were good and bad guys were bad, you know? When I watched the 2011 version I was quite frustrated I have to admit, because to me it felt like it lacked the attachment the 99 version had on my generation. To me it was just like another anime that you had to watch just because it's got a nice story... That's all really, the 99 version was made for those who, like me, like it old-fashioned and are SENTIMENTAL. The 2011 remake (or I'd say adaptation) is for those who like to see their fave manga come to life, sit back and enjoy a good dose of anime. I guess. Everyone is free to disagree though.
Jun 14, 2015 9:50 AM
Dec 2013
To add to what I already said, even though HxH (1999) is unfaithful to the manga compared to the 2011 version, it's only the first 20 episodes of 1999 that are unfaithful. Episode 21 onwards is faithful to the manga (except for maybe episode 42). They also changed some events around in Heaven's Arena arc in 1999. I also feel that the Greed Island OVAs (which were computer-animated) captured the lighthearted tone/atmosphere of the arc, and so did the 2011 version.

What stands out is that in 1999, the four main characters all know that Tonpa is bad news at the beginning of Trick Tower, because of what he did to Leorio in the first phase of the exam. In 2011 and manga, only Killua knows that Tonpa is bad news at the beginning of Trick Tower, until Tonpa finally admits it to everyone.

The first 2 arcs in the 2011 version have better pacing than in the 1999 version. Heaven's Arena arc has good pacing in both versions, but 1999 skipped the Hisoka/Kastro and made the arc shorter than it should be. But the Greed Island arc might've been rushed in 2011, since they adapted 66 chapters into 17 episodes.

The most obvious difference between the two versions is that the 1999 version is mostly traditionally animated (Hunter Exam arc to Yorknew City arc are traditionally animated; Greed Island arc is computer animated), while the 2011 version is computer-animated.
wildhoodJun 14, 2015 10:23 AM
Jun 15, 2015 4:13 AM

Jun 2015
Meruem.
Jun 15, 2015 4:15 AM
Nov 2013
Believe it or not, but different years is a difference.
Jun 15, 2015 10:51 PM

Jan 2011
GOOD/POSITIVE POINTS HXH 99:
-The color (hand drawn using pastel type of paints)
-the original relationship between gon and kite

RELATIVE:
-Some dialogue fillers were well done
-extra fights: kurapika vs hisoka, illumi vs gon, killua vs dorado https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMEa2UZ2Ik
-mini filler arc
-Hunter exam arc was better
- I LIKE the character designs (hand drawn is better) EXCEPT THE FANSERVICE

NEGATIVE/BAD POINTS HXH 99
-fanservice
-censorship (the only "gore scene" faithfully adapted in the 99 version and Not in the 2011 version, it was killua vs jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdahmVhSn0 )
-MACHI knew Gon before the york shin arc (she was watching the battle: hisoka vs gon)
- Mito is Gon's aunt, MIN 5:33, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzFjnY6jDE
- Kastro vs Hisoka was skipped
- The explanation of Nen was poor/bad done
- the story is incomplete
- Greed island arc
- animation

GOOD/POSITIVE POINTS HXH 2011
- the chimera ant arc, and chairman election arc
- without fillers (except some dialogues in the chimera ant arc)
- the explanation of nen
- animation
- kastro vs hisoka

BAD/NEGATIVE POINTS HXH 2011
- The realationship between gon and kite was modified
- color (DIGITAL ANIMATION: Colors used are based on light, not paint)

RELATIVE
- the Hunter exam was an average adaptation
- the excessive use of slow pace in some parts of Chimera ant arc, NOT all the chimera ant arc
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Aug 19, 2015 4:41 AM
Aug 2015
I suggest for watch hxh 2011 because more interesting
Sep 27, 2015 8:55 PM

Oct 2010
The music in 1999 tops 2011 quite heavily I guess. Sets the mood nicely, slipped in at the perfect moments, depicts unspoken dialogue and internal dilemmas, lifts you up when you need to be cheered up, sad when sad, overall very touching. I can't really notice the music in 2011, and the OPs EDs are subpar as well (at least so far until my journey now up to the beginning of CA arc). Heard it's gonna be better. I hope.
Apr 29, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2007
One of many examples which shows that old anime is better even in graphics department:

Or look at the floor in this scene: https://youtu.be/Zhj-YtrLmI8?t=1m18s
In old anime it's detailed, in new anime it's just a copy/paste job with no details.

I basically agree with Anime_Name and ensatsu-ken. They're the only ones in this thread who know what the word "adaptation" means and who can differentiate good directing from bad one.

Places where action happens changes abruptly, characters befriend others instantly without delivering proper background, etc. Also, they explain here obvious things and treat viewers like idiots (or 5 year old kids), more so than in the old version. For example in the old anime it sufficed that Kurapica looked at the tatoo, in the new version he said it out loud revealing that he knows she lied and letting her prepare. Or Leorio *accidently* heard that the bus driver won't get him where he wants at the exact moment he wanted to get in. In the old version he wasn't so lucky. There are other examples but these are from the top of my head.

Fillers in HxH were so uncommon and subtle that most people haven't even noticed they were there. In fact most of them enriched the story and characters making everything more logical (hence I consider old anime better than manga). Graphics was also better and I would prefer blu-ray remastered edition of HxH than new anime where director doesn't know how to direct.

New anime does a better job at animating manga pages in a 1:1 ratio but it's not a better adaptation, on the contrary. As I've said dozen times already, directors of Hunter x Hunter suck. They can only copy and paste and when once in a while they try to show their "ingenuity" it turns out to be a disaster, like adding killing apples (the boars being KO-ed by a falling apples), getting rid of Kaito for no good reason, cutting some stuff out or rushing things up or even ending an episode in a worse moment than it was in old anime. A perfect example of not 1:1 ratio is when Hisoka commented on Gon not making it through the tower which you called generic (lol). That's exactly the comment you would expect from someone who regarded Gon as someone who might be a worthy opponent in the future. And if Gon couldn't even do in 72 h what he did in 6 hours (without rush) then it would mean he was really bad at judging people (and as it was stated in HxH manga, the better you are the easier you can judge someone's strength).

So yeah, additions like these show that directors of the old anime understood the source material very well and did their job. Another example is the use of a narrator in the new anime, contrary to comments made by characters to show the viewers what's going on. The first method is artificial and in anime (or television overall) is intended for retards or kids who can't think for themselves and draw a conclusion themselves. In books all-knowing narrator is necessary because some things you can't show in any other way. In manga it depends but basically it's always possible to not use them, although that could require a massive amount of work (for example to actually show something via drawing that could be said in a few sentences) and space and mangaka have a limited amount of space/pages and time. However, when overused it only shows laziness of a mangaka. That's one of the reasons I despise chimera ant arc where there were dozens of pages with nothing but text from an all-knowing entity which could be done in a different manner.

Anyway, my point is, where the new anime uses a narrator who hand-holds everyone, old anime used more subtle ways to explain some things. Either just by showing something explicitly or by using secondary characters as medium. In the Gon vs. Hanzo fight it was done particularly well and judges have shown to be exactly as I would expect them to. I mean, it's normal that a judge would comment on a fight and analyse it and hunters only staring (especially Menchi who is not the calm type) when a fight like the one we've seen was in progress would be unnatural. Thankfully, in the new anime Menchi commented on one thing at least but overall it was done much worse than in the old one.

Also in old anime creators were taking into account such details as Gon stretching his hands which must have been numb due to being tightened around the fishing rod for such a long time or Gon being affected by Garreta's poison (in the new anime Gon was shown to be as resilient to poison as Killua).
I don't want to make a humongous wall of text here so I'll link to some of my older posts where I go into detail why Hunter x Hunter 2011 is a bad adaptation nad a travesty.

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3798291#post3798291 (episode #1)
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3811190#post3811190 (#2 and #3)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2651984/ (#5)
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3845220#post3845220 (#6)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2663369/
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3897328#post3897328 (#11 which were a certain scene was censored unlike in the old anime)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2710262/ (#12)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2711190/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3045707/ (#48)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3102208/ (#52)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3031084/ (#56)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3032482/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3052477/ (#58)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3082538/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3108482/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3109443/
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3951977#post3951977
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3953087#post3953087
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/hunter-x-hunter-anime-fall-2011.71821/page-42#post-2783942
goralApr 29, 2016 11:15 PM
May 13, 2016 1:58 PM
May 2016
the only thing better about the 2011 is that it covers the chimera ant arc. otherwise i hated it. it misses a lot of story. i know it is following more precisely the manga but i loved the fillers and the 2011 story is moving too fast. the way the characters are portrayed is almost ridiculous to make kind of a comedy act but the 1999 charaters had more developed psychology which was pure poetry and depth. i'm continuing to watch the 2011 version only to hate it more. but i would recommend people to watch the 2011 so they wont miss the chimera ant arc while sobbing for losing everything great about 1999
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

fishergirl16 - Oct 22, 2011

166 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

fishergirl16 - Oct 15, 2011

216 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 6, 2014

398 by GulBil »»
Yesterday, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kisami - Jun 23, 2012

209 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FrostToaster - Jun 16, 2012

327 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 5:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.