Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 2012 5:12 PM

May 2012
Whether it be historical, fantasy or a combination of the two. I'm essentially looking for an anime similar to A Game of Thrones or The Song of Ice and Fire series, Lord of the Rings, The Elder Scrolls or the Forgotten Realms. Any anime recommendations similar to these titles would be greatly appreciated.
May 8, 2012 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Was going to say Princess Mononoke, but you've already seen it and also scored it a 10. All is right in the world.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 8, 2012 5:22 PM

Jul 2011
o.O wrong section. This should be under "anime and manga recommendation."
May 8, 2012 5:29 PM

Dec 2011
Berserk would be the obvious choice - amazing anime easily in my top 3 of all time. It's more of a medieval war - dark fantasy - demon type deal.

Then there's Claymore - another medieval dark fantasy.

Record of Lodoss War - this anime is more lord of the rings/forgotten realms style, medieval fantasy with Elves and all that mess. It's rated 7.5 which is about what I'd give it, not in the same league as Berserk but it's worth a watch for any fans of the genre.

Juuni Kokuki aka The Twelve Kingdoms - This is a popular fantasy series you might dig
Tears To Tiara - medieval fantasy

I'm a fan of the genre myself as you can see, would be interested to know of any titles that I haven't mentioned.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2012 5:30 PM

Apr 2012
medieval? Does Romeo X juliet count?
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

May 8, 2012 5:33 PM

Sep 2010
Gritty Medival Fantasy...

Berserk
Spice Wolf(might be pushing )
Morbito
Claymore

That's all I can think of.

May 8, 2012 5:35 PM

Apr 2012
Like above, I'd say Berserk, Chronicles of Lodoss, Escaflowne.
The Dragon Quest anime is probably good too (haven't watched it yet).
May 8, 2012 5:53 PM

Aug 2011
"Zero no Tsukaima" comes to mind, but it might not be something that everyone enjoys.
May 8, 2012 6:12 PM

Feb 2005
Berserk and Claymore are probably the best bets. Though be aware that Claymore gets butchered in the anime with a ridiculous ending instead of following the manga, and Berserk has a pretty serious cliffhanger ending. Though at least with the latter, the movies they're making now will probably continue the story.
Juuni Kokuki is also brilliant.

Other than that and the others mention I can only think of Slayers. Obviously it's mostly comedy and jokes around with common fantasy tropes, but it's pretty serious now and then too. Either way it's pretty awesome.
May 8, 2012 6:57 PM

Feb 2008
If you don't mind ecchi and silly harem gimmicks here and there as if that wasn't the case with the GoT TV adaptation, you could also try out Utawarerumono and Tears to Tiara, they both have an interesting twist which explains the setting, even the fact that dog girls aren't there just for fanservice purposes.

May 8, 2012 8:26 PM

Nov 2008
Escaflowne
Gude Crest
Rune Soldier Louie
Sorcerer Stabber Orphen
Ellcia
Fire Emblem
Magic Knight Rayearth
Aura Battler Dunbine
Heroic Legend of Arslan
Windaria
Weathering Continent
Guin Saga
Luna Varga
Vionlinist Hamelin
El Hazard
Bakuretsu Hunters
Gedo Senki
Horus Prince of the Sun
Ruin Explorers
Tower of Druaga
Break Blade
Leda
May 8, 2012 10:25 PM

Aug 2011
Uh... Inuyasha? Lulz.
May 9, 2012 2:04 AM

Apr 2012
Maybe Seiken no Blacksmith, only started it myself though.
May 9, 2012 8:01 AM

Mar 2009
Grouped by European Medieval-ish, later western sword fantasy, and Asian medieval fantasy/historic.
Click on "show spoiler" to reveal list
An asterisk "*" just indicates additional seasons, movies, etc.

.Anime Title - .Year - .Eps - .My Rating - .Where - .When - .When
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 9, 2012 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
Well Record of Lodoss War is the classic Western-style fantasy anime. Watch the 13 episode OVA and then the 26 episode TV series.

As others have said, there's also Berserk and Claymore, both of which are quite good.

The Twelve Kingdoms is another one you may enjoy and is just overall a fantastic anime.

Considering the rating on Seiken no Blacksmith (6.98), I would avoid it. It looks like maids in battle armor. As a general rule too you can usually just go ahead and avoid anything rated lower than a 7 unless it's like a sequel to a series you really liked or is an OVA special or sorts.

I have heard that Legend of the Legendary Heroes is good, although I personally had to drop it as I could not stand their terrible armor colors.

Romeo x Juliet was quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Slayers, if you want comedy, is fun. But pure silly and one of those "Super anime fantasy' series.
May 9, 2012 10:38 AM

May 2012
I recommend : Utawarerumono. It's a good fantasy anime with elements that looks like the mediaval period. ^_^
May 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Mar 2009
Amberleh said:
Well Record of Lodoss War is the classic Western-style fantasy anime. Watch the 13 episode OVA and then the 26 episode TV series.

As others have said, there's also Berserk and Claymore, both of which are quite good.

The Twelve Kingdoms is another one you may enjoy and is just overall a fantastic anime.

Considering the rating on Seiken no Blacksmith (6.98), I would avoid it. It looks like maids in battle armor. As a general rule too you can usually just go ahead and avoid anything rated lower than a 7 unless it's like a sequel to a series you really liked or is an OVA special or sorts.

I have heard that Legend of the Legendary Heroes is good, although I personally had to drop it as I could not stand their terrible armor colors.

Romeo x Juliet was quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Slayers, if you want comedy, is fun. But pure silly and one of those "Super anime fantasy' series.
--Record of Lodoss War, Berserk, and Claymore are classic European medieval heroic fantasy.
Twelve Kingdoms (aka Juuni Kokuki) is excelent but set in a fantasy world based on ancient China.
I found Seiken no Blacksmith too annoying to watch but others like it.
Legend of the Legendary Heroes (aka Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu) is a bit uneven but overall enjoyable. (I managed to ignore the armor. For great 15th Century armor, see Berserk)
Romeo x Juliet qualifies.
Slayers is an excellent parody of heroic fantasy.

Regarding not watching anything under a 7 - Not necessarily. There are a lot of unknown treasures under 7. Some get dismissed due to old art, others because of something a lot of folk are unfamiliar with.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 9, 2012 9:05 PM
Apr 2012
legend of legendary heroes is a great one. and the sacred blacksmith is also a great one to watch.
Jan 2, 2016 6:44 AM
Jan 2016
I dunno why people don't talk about that anime, but if u want something like game of thrones sorry u won't find, but u can find an even better anime, it's called berserk it's the ultimate dark fantasy anime classified as masterpiece.
You have Knights, kingdoms in war, fairies and a very human aspect. The main character is 100 percent human (he's 20 near to his 30s something years old not, many characters from anime hasn't got his age, which's rare)
SiegoeJan 2, 2016 6:50 AM
Jan 2, 2016 6:46 AM

Sep 2014
Guin Saga is what you want.

aside from that, you can check out

Deltora Quest

and

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
ZoltorJan 2, 2016 6:50 AM

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

6 by RaiYou »»
32 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
7 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.