Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2009 4:08 AM

Nov 2008
Final multipost to fix thread. The thread will break again if these are removed (I think).

Repost of suggestions so you don't have to go to the previous page.
flygon250 said:
Manabi Straight! (anime and manga) should be added for the time being, as it has a similar tone and is serialised in the same magazine as Kamichu. We can debate its merits as a seinen series after we include it. I'm on the fence on this one, having only seen the anime, which gives out mixed messages regarding its target audience.

Although it doesn't have a manga, I think it's safe to assume that Windy Tales is aimed at a Seinen audience.

Also add Aoi Bungaku and Kuchu Buranko from this season's anime.

If we go off which magazine a manga is serialized in, then Needless should be in as well, although I think it is a highly questionable addition, but as with Manabi Straight, we can leave that discussion until after it is added.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Nov 14, 2009 7:14 AM

Nov 2008
Bumping the thread, because nobody seemed to respond to my previous post.

I will also add Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 to the list of anime that should be considered for addition to this club while I am here.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jan 8, 2010 4:09 AM
Mar 2009
I would include:

*Millennium Actress
*Tokyo Godfathers
Jan 9, 2010 9:30 AM
Sep 2009
I personally would like it if the club included:

- Yesterday wo Utatte by Toume, Kei
This manga is not one of the deep, touching, type of manga and etc; but it's light hearted romance and humour is something which I don't believe is greatly appreciated by the younger readers. It's atmosphere and mood definitely gives it a feel of a seinen/josei manga in my opinion.

- Onani Master Kurosawa by Katsura, Ise and Yoko
Unlike the above one, this gives rather a much more shounen feel right to the end. Yet I recommend it to our relations because it touches on subjects which are generally considered "taboo" (Masturbation, to be more specific), which are avoided by most typical shounen readers and it's story of character development is something that can't be handled by most most of these kinds of readers either. It's character development and storyline gives off a really good feeling of happiness as you see Kurosawa's growth throughout the manga.

- Memories of Emanon by Tsuruta, Kenji
It's another story, and like Yesterday wo Utatte; it's atmosphere and mood it gives off is definitely a seinen/josei. It's short and sweet, although I have much confidence that its story and ending is something that can only be properly appreciated by more mature audiences.

- Kaikisen by Kon, Satoshi
Okaaay... now I'm getting too lazy to write any more comments. >.>

By the way; if this club also supports Light Novels within their relations, here are some.

-Fate/Zero by TYPE-MOON (Story & Art), Nitro+ (Story), Takeuchi, Takashi (Story)
(Although it's really Takeuchi, Takashi who's the actual author, all of them requires credit, so..)

-Bungaku Shoujo by Nomura, Mizuki(Story), Takeoka, Miho(Art)
(For some reason, although I like the light novel, I can't seem to bring myself to like the manga all that much. I'm only recommending the light novel here, btw.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines[/center
Feb 25, 2010 11:40 PM

Jun 2009
I suggest for seinen manga

Vagabond - It takes a look at the often misunderstood sword saint Miyamoto Musashi and his rivalry with Kojiro Sasaki. It would be easy assume that the focus of this manga would be a simple hack and slash "who is the strongest samurai" affair. However, the majority of the story is actually about Musashi's internal conflict as he strives to understand morality. He is torn between his love for the graceful art of swordplay exemplified by the simple mute Kojiro and his guilt for tainting his blade with violent ambition.
Apr 2, 2010 7:04 PM

May 2008
Mangas:

I am suggesting the manga Kaikisen - Return to the Sea (by Satoshi Kon), I loved this when I read it.

Forget-Me-Not, it blew me away, I really loved the art in it. I could just stare at each page and get immersed in it. I guess the same would go for another one by the same author, Memories of Emanon, though I still haven't read it yet.

The Music of Marie, though a bit weird, was incredibly creative, and it hits you with a really unexpected ending.

Train Man, I'll slip this one in as well, though it's more focused on romance.

All Rounder Meguru is a shooto manga by Endo, so just that is enough to recommend it. Suffice it to say, it is very good.

Giant Killing, this one is a soccer manga, it's getting an anime adaptation soon, and I am hoping it is good.

Also, Poppoya Love Letter, that one is an amazing manga. Asada Jiro, the author of the short stories, is simply brilliant, and I was deeply impressed when I read the manga adaptations of two of his stories, The Stationmaster (Poppoya) and Love Letter. It seems only Love Letter has been scanlated, though, I was never able to find the stationmaster anywhere. And the scanlation of Love Letter really doesn't do the story justice, I feel.

Finally, Harukana Machi-E, a great manga about childhood, coming of age, adulthood, responsibility... it is an overview of the entire spectrum of life, basically, from birth to death, quite a nostalgic feel to it and a great ending imo.

Movies:

Angel's Egg (though I haven't seen it yet).

Another movie, Bobby's Girl, I found that quite seinen in nature, and it really made me think all sorts of things while watching it.

edit: I keep on thinking of other things to suggest, originally I only suggested a couple, lol.
georgiApr 2, 2010 7:33 PM
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Apr 20, 2010 5:13 PM

Mar 2010
FinnTheFrisian said:
I suggest for seinen manga

Vagabond - It takes a look at the often misunderstood sword saint Miyamoto Musashi and his rivalry with Kojiro Sasaki. It would be easy assume that the focus of this manga would be a simple hack and slash "who is the strongest samurai" affair. However, the majority of the story is actually about Musashi's internal conflict as he strives to understand morality. He is torn between his love for the graceful art of swordplay exemplified by the simple mute Kojiro and his guilt for tainting his blade with violent ambition.

I second Vagabond, I'm surprised it wasn't mentionned before.
Vagabond
May 1, 2010 10:14 AM

Dec 2009
This season, just spotted a few moderate to good ones.

Giant killing - the anime features good characters & plots, op & ed, some bgm. But it seems to lack great soccer actions. Giant means the top teams, and I guess the title tells what will happen. This series is probably planned as world cup is coming.

Saraiya Goyou - the protagonist is a gentle samurai & was jobless despite of his good skills. He was finally hired by Saraiya as the leader found him interesting and assigned him to various missions. Story from Natsume Ono. The previous anime was Ristorante Paradiso. Both are quite loyal to her arts style. She drawed BL comics but both works are not josei nor BL. But she describe mature men in her own ways. The BGM is occasionally good. The story flows slowly in an interesting way.

Arakawa Under the bridge - gag styled comedy with a unique romance story, featuring 'My girlfriend is an alien from Venus'. And there are many other aliens having activities under the bridge. It's quite mature as it discuss about the romance life of ~20s but in a unique way. The author is trying to make from very creative situations & wierd ideas.

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei - A selection of fairy tales on 4.5 tatami mats (?)
Not sure what the title means but it's a Madhouse production so you can expect pretty good arts style & animation. The story happens around a 3rd year college student, finding his way out from his otherwise plain & boring college life. The protagonist is motivated in finding job, girlfriend etc. but his personality is barring him. The story is also filled with other very characteristic people.

Most of them, I just checked 1-2 episodes so it may not be totally correct but I'm quite sure they are seinen with quite good quality but also lack otaku fans. Arakawa Under the bridge may be better as the director is Akiyuki Shinbo.
May 11, 2010 3:37 PM

Aug 2009
Mars.

Sure it's a shoujo, but it's so well made and has very good characterization.
-Fixing-
May 17, 2010 2:22 PM

Mar 2010
shooting_star said:
I would include:

*Millennium Actress
*Tokyo Godfathers

I second these.
Not so sure about Mars... while it's not your typical frivolous shoujo, I wouldn't qualify it as josei.
Jun 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Jan 2010
I'm suggesting Holyland be added to the list.
Somewhere between a childs and adults world the “holyland” exists. Gangs, lenient laws and violence dominated a world far from reality. There was Yuu. He was there, Kamishiro Yuu… he was, without a doubt, there.

Yuu is a week high school kid who doesn't really fit anywhere. To find a plac he can belong, be accepted, not disappear, to find his “Holyland” he will do anything. To go on forward like this, or to disappear from this town, that was his choice.

He wanted to become strong, so that he could protect his “Holyland”, where everything is dangerous. In time he started to like this place. With strength in his fist, it summoned violence and with that violence Yuu learned to rely on his fists and found his place… his “Holyland”.
Jun 16, 2010 9:44 AM

Aug 2009
-BlackRabbit- said:

I second these.
Not so sure about Mars... while it's not your typical frivolous shoujo, I wouldn't qualify it as josei.

I wouldn't qualify Ichigo Mashimaro as a seinen either, but it's the list because it can be appreciated from an older audience as well. Same thing goes for Mars. Plus, Mars offers the most realistic relationship you would expect from a Shoujo.
WilioJun 16, 2010 9:47 AM
-Fixing-
Jun 16, 2010 1:08 PM

Nov 2007
Jun 16, 2010 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
Arakawa Under the Bridge (Manga) it is a Seinen
Aug 6, 2010 4:10 PM

Aug 2010
For manga, I'll suggest Sundome and Battle Angel Alita.
Dec 23, 2010 3:18 PM

Aug 2010
I didn't see these on the list, and that surprised me, so maybe they've been mentioned before and didn't make the cut, but, even so: Maison Ikkoku, [url=http://myanimelist.net/manga/336/Great_Teacher_Onizuka]GTO{/url]
They both have anime adaptions, and Maison Ikkoku was definitely published in a seinen magazine, and, IMHO, seems directed at an older male audience. GTO, even though catagorized as shounen, and published in a shounen magazine, just seems to have seinen elements to it, and I would have sworn that it was a seinen, except that it doesn't seem to be listed as such... Anyway, for your consideration.
Sep 12, 2011 8:29 AM

May 2010
MUST add stuff by Natsume Ono!

House of Five Leaves/Saraiya Goyou
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=7588
http://myanimelist.net/manga/13271/Saraiya_Goyou

Ristorane Paradiso, and Gente
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5984/Ristorante_Paradiso
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12386/Ristorante_Paradiso
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12400/Gente
(the manga tags for Ristorante and Gente don't SAY josei, but they are)

not simple
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12569/not_simple

She has written more stuff, but that's all I've read/watched, so I know for sure what's in them.

Other stuff:
Usagi Drop (anime)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10162/Usagi_Drop

Last Exile (seinen--it's too "slow" for a shounen)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/97/Last_Exile

Rainbow
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6114/Rainbow:_Nisha_Rokubou_no_Shichinin
http://myanimelist.net/manga/7482/Rainbow
IceAndCreamSep 12, 2011 8:42 AM
Dec 12, 2011 1:38 AM
Apr 6, 2012 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
A couple of seinens that I couldn't find in the list:

A-Channel
Acchi Kocchi
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Apr 14, 2012 7:39 AM
Mar 2012
I think those are missing:
Suppli
Chihayafuru
Seirei no Moribito (Wikipedia says it's shonen, but I think since the main character is a woman in her 30s, it could be josei, too)
Pink Lady

And as much as I disliked these, I think they're josei:
Hapi Mari
Love Blog

What about Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?
Aug 8, 2012 2:18 PM

Dec 2008
Usagi Drop (the BEST JOSEI EVEEEER! =P)
Fate/Zero
Aug 15, 2012 5:26 AM

Aug 2011
I would like to add these titles for acceptance in the Anime Relations List:

Last Exile
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Xam'd: Lost Memories

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What series got you hooked on Seinen or Josei titles? ( 1 2 3 )

CMB17 - Apr 10, 2008

102 by ruab »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:53 AM

» Seinen & Josei reviews

Maegil - Apr 6, 2014

1 by ElenirLachlagos »»
Aug 21, 2014 1:28 PM

Sticky: » The boot

Yuunagi - Feb 17, 2009

32 by Maegil »»
Apr 5, 2014 4:35 AM

» Current seinen and josei

orion_black - Jun 6, 2013

3 by Baharuka »»
Jul 24, 2013 11:43 AM

» Favorites

Kvothe-sama - Aug 23, 2007

47 by OutlawImmortal »»
May 27, 2013 6:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.