Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2012 10:13 AM
Dec 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
huh.. woot?
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 13, 2013 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
Very bizarre episode, but very cool.
Sep 25, 2013 1:01 PM

Jan 2010
This was just ... wow. I still can't comprehend everything that was going on in this ep., but it was all kinds of deep and awesome.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Dec 4, 2014 11:01 PM

Jun 2010
Wonderfully weird. I've always liked Ataru's mom anyway.

I've just realized that this woman has no name. We can call her "Ataru's mom" or "Mrs. Moroboshi", but she has no name of her own. The real reason is because she's not that important in a story about goofy teenagers, but to spin this fact into a dreamlike exploration of a middle-aged woman's angst, fears, and desires is excellently creative.

I like how it repeatedly provides the obvious explanation for what's happening; she hit her head at the store and is dreaming. It repeats this so often it becomes boring, which is deliberate; why this is happening is not important.

I also like how different characters we know serve as the doctor she wakes up to, underscoring the unreality of the situation. Perhaps best was old Four-Eyes as the blowhard spouting trite psychoanalysis.

I can understand a fair bit of it (she's worried she's frittering away her life, or her life is too defined by her role as wife or mother, some shallow wish-fulfillment of indulgence), but I can't really grasp Ataru and Lum appearing on a flying cruse liner at the end.

This kind of examination of a middle-aged housewife is often pretty cynical so it's interesting to see a strong current of love for her husband in her visions. In the segment where's she's old it's learning that he is dead that sends her falling to the floor in tears and somehow seems to trigger her becoming old. Later when she imagines her house being destroyed by aliens (fantasizing about an outside force removing the site of her tedious obligations?) she apparently can't imagine her husband not defending it (we hear him complain about the mortgage often enough, after all!) and so also being destroyed, which anguishes her. The contradiction of feelings lends the visions psychological believability.

That the little girl (in the stereotypical '50s/'60s red suspender skirt) is her is pretty obvious, but I like the way that's emphasized by the way the child has squinty eyes and earlier she pulls one of her eyes into the same shape while looking in the mirror while her monologue mentions nostalgia.

At one point she wears an apron with a chick and "Piyo Piyo" imprinted on it. This is the apron that Kyoko wears in Maison Ikkoku, a manga Rumiko Takahashi was working on at this time, concurrently with Urusei Yatsura. It would be adapted as a TV series in 1986.
FronzelJan 17, 2015 9:11 PM
May 21, 2015 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
Great episode. Some of the themes of this episode will be reprised in the second Urusei Yatsura Movie.
Sep 18, 2016 3:27 AM

May 2012
These episodes sure are getting weirder and weirder! Nice new OP&ED though!
Oct 16, 2016 5:21 PM

May 2009
So...it was a dream within a dream? This episode made me question reality as it is...0.o
So does Ataru's mom ever wake up from her never ending dream?
Like the new op and ed by the way :)
Dec 5, 2017 2:45 AM
May 2017
Wow. What a head trip. We're pushing into strange territory and I love it.

Is it just me, or did the animation look different in this episode?

Also, while I will always "Lum's Love Song," I am digging the new OP. (The new ED is nice as well.)
Dec 8, 2017 7:34 PM
Nov 2012
"Anata... dare... ?" asks the girl in this episode -- the same question asked several times throughout Tenshi no Tamago/Angel's Egg, a film by Mamoru Oshii... who directed and wrote this episode. I would know it even without the credit on MAL: he loves this kind of deep, mysterious and eerie stuff. Episode 53 (with the part-time job at the bathhouse) is probably his, too

Still, it's so weird to see this coming back every now and then in his earlier works like Urusei Yatsura, but I very much appreciate it! Great episode.
May 30, 2019 7:16 AM

Jul 2015
Bit of a weird episode. Not really sure what happened. I think Ataru's mother went crazy after all those crazy antics happening around her.

Aug 4, 2019 7:40 PM

Aug 2015
Fabulous episode, especially in taking Ataru's hot mom as the subject of an episode. This is basically Beautiful Dreamer squeezed into 22 minutes.

It's interesting that Mrs. Moroboshi is only identifiable though male reference points- either through her husband's surname or as Ataru's mother- hence the question repeatedly asked to Mrs. Moroboshi in this episode"who are you" is never answered. We never know (or have yet to learn) Ataru's mother's first name or maiden name.

I particularly enjoyed seeing her bad traits come out again and even hearing her speak similar to Ataru.

Dec 24, 2019 9:33 AM

Jan 2015
Utter bullshit. Whoever wrote this had too many umeboshi. It's like Japanese sjws were trying to destroy franchises decades before Disney raped Star Wars and Star Trek here. Crypto-feminist Freudian surrealist agit-toon can eat my ass.
Jan 16, 2020 5:46 AM

Jun 2014
The alien invasion is canon, I don't care what anyone else says.
Everything that happens after episode 78 is just a dream. This is the real ending of Urusei Yatsura.

@FahtahSensei Take your pills and chill, this is one of Urusei Yatsura's greatest episodes.
PernodiJan 18, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 16, 2020 7:46 AM

Jan 2015
Pernodi said:

@FahtahSensei Take your autism pills and chill, this is one of Urusei Yatsura's greatest episodes.

Umn...yeah. About that autism.
FahtahSenseiJan 16, 2020 8:27 AM
Jan 23, 2020 6:57 AM
Oct 2017
Pernodi said:
Everything that happens after episode 78 is just a dream. This is the real ending of Urusei Yatsura.

So you're Omoshne in kissanime? I just found the same comment lol.
Jan 23, 2020 7:43 AM

Jun 2014
trenchantbaka said:
Pernodi said:

So you're Omoshne in kissanime? I just found the same comment lol.

Omoshne used to be my MALname way before I even had a Discus haha. I've changed it now to be more pronouncable.
And ye everyone should know the TRUTH about Urusei Yatsura
AMEN

Jan 23, 2020 8:22 AM
Oct 2017
@Pernodi

How is it pronounced then? I thought it simply was O-mosh-ney.
Jun 9, 2020 6:20 PM

Apr 2008
This is my favorite episode so far.
PlateJun 9, 2020 6:25 PM
Oct 8, 2020 10:48 AM
Apr 2018
MEGANE deduced ATARU's mother wish.
"It is nothing but a simple manifestation of the maternal, eternal wish!"
14:24 My favorite part.

I am like "Is this Anime really from 1980s?"
Mar 23, 2021 10:25 AM

Jan 2018
It felt like I was watching Inception and Evangelion at the same time.
Jan 12, 2022 9:46 PM

May 2019
That was really such a psychological mindfuck episode about Ataru's mom desires told through dreams. Really amazing episode considering it's actually a filler.

Jul 13, 2022 1:47 PM

Jan 2021
Complete waste of an episode that ended up just pissing me off by having no resolution. It baits you and leads you on thinking it's building up to something great but like a lot of other episodes completely drops the ball and falls apart at the very end. Doesn't surprise me in the least to read Oshii wrote this one. Characters sitting around speaking pseudo-intellectual drivel and a bunch of surreal BS happening doesn't mean much when you can't complete the thought and leave the ending up in the air. I couldn't stand his Patlabor films, Beautiful Dreamer felt incoherent and irrelevant to the show, and now I come upon this episode which is just more of the same.
Sep 26, 2022 2:10 PM

Aug 2017
Great episode and an awesome new opening! I feel like it might have partly inspired "Moonlght Densetsu"
Oct 3, 2022 3:49 PM
Jun 2011
I think this might be the fist "okay" episode in a while. On one hand, it was nice to have an episode around Ataru's mom since I don't think we've had that happen yet. However, the dream sequence started getting a bit scattered by the end of it. All in all, okay, but thats about it. Here's hoping the next episode's a good one!
Nov 3, 2022 12:38 PM

Jul 2022
It was okay at first
Dec 10, 2022 4:19 PM

Nov 2016
Finally a new opening. Gave me some Sailor Moon vibes and the ending of this episode was on some Eva shit.

I'm a fan of Ataru's mom since the beginning and this episode exploring her "midlife crisis" was hilariously brilliant. The super super sale wrestling was merely just another noon in her life compared to the insanity that followed.

5/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 18, 2023 5:19 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
What an insane episode to change the OP and ED with lol, they were both very good both visually and musically, it feels weird for the OP to change since it’s been the same since the beginning until now but it’s a welcome change. But this episode was really good, Ataru’s mom going through crazy dream sequences on loop after seeing a bit of her POV at the beginning of the episode was super interesting, so many cool scenes and also horrific ones, like some really good psychological horror which I’m a big fan of.

The ending bit seemed like a reference to the classic “War of the Worlds” with those alien machines that looked like tripods which I’m also a big fan of, both the musical and different iterations of the story, and then ending on a confusing note, but my guess is either that little girl was the one having the dream, or it’s a young version of Ataru’s mom. Either way, really loved this one and I think it’s one of my favorites episodes so far.
Aug 2, 2023 9:32 PM
May 2023
What a strange episode. They really let Oshii run wild in this episode as there's little Takahashi influence in this episode. Regardless, I still recommend viewers to watch this episode to form their own opinion on this experimental episode and I think many Oshii fans will likely enjoy this episode. This episode is also most unlikely to come back in the 2022 adaptation due to how non-existent Takahashi influence it had.
Oct 23, 2023 1:08 PM

May 2023
This episode felt like animated poetry. And as a poem, it doesn't always have to be "clear" - I liked that it ended without giving any explanation. It reminded me of "Paprika", with its dreamy atmosphere and its psychological references.

Thanks to some unconventional episodes like this, this series really surpassed my expectations!
Oct 31, 2023 7:37 PM

Jun 2023
...Huh.

Y'know, these more recent serious episodes are great, in a vaccum. But, it does feel more and more like Mamoru Ooshi's influence is starting to make the anime drift further and further from the tone of the source material, which I'm not sure how I feel about.
Jan 18, 7:15 PM
May 2019
Loved this one, nice to see that Mrs. Moriboshi is more than just a gag character. Really like that we never got an answer to everything. A few of these episodes recently have kinda felt like someone had a cool idea for a shortfilm, and they used Urusei Yatsura as the medium.
Feb 13, 5:19 PM
Nov 2023
By far the best episode so far, feels perfect in almost every way. I wish the show had more weird and interesting ideas that get executed to this level of insanity.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 58 Discussion

Fronzel - Nov 20, 2014

14 by Ranxomare »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 57 Discussion

Fronzel - Nov 20, 2014

9 by Ranxomare »»
May 5, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 13 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 14, 2014

10 by ReConstructor »»
May 4, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 12 Discussion

animefan8800 - Dec 24, 2015

7 by ReConstructor »»
May 4, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 11 Discussion

animefan8800 - Dec 23, 2015

9 by ReConstructor »»
May 3, 3:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.