Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2007 8:24 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So what did everyone think about the movie?
I still don't understand why they chose to recap what occurred during the Alabasta Arc. If the arc took 40+ episodes to tell the whole story, I never understood how they would be able to successfully recap the whole thing in a movie. After seeing it, they simply just concentrated on the main battles and the main theme and left very important information (like Ace showing up) out of the movie, which I really didn't like. But I guess it does serves its purpose to people who don't want to spend the time to watch unbelievable anime and are simply interested in seeing what happens.
Oct 20, 2007 8:34 PM

May 2007
I disliked the movie. Taking out most of the best part in the anime >.< *sniff i was sad when they skipped the USSOP's hammer =( also MISU MISU LUFFY >.<, i can't believe they took him out =(. Most of the funny comments were taken out =(, it didn't feel like one piece without jokes.
I was disappointed. I thought this movie would have been better but I guess I was wrong.
Jan 3, 2008 9:40 AM
Apr 2007
I gotta agree with SS.

There were some funny scene's in it, but not enough, at least, not what the OP-watchers are used to.

Also the movie elevated quickly in the start, Vivi was from the beginning on the ship, suddenly there in the desert riding Scissors, Luffy gets beaten to dead by Mr.Croc, then .. the others are suddenly fighting the rest of Croc's henchmen, those fights didn't last long either, we saw them taking those mantle's on.. and the next we see is how they won the fight. They left Mizu Mizu Luffy out.. what in my point of view, they should've kept.

And well.. I was really disappointed :(

Hope that the recap movie of the Drum Island get's better.
Would be weird though, with Franky and Robin in the crew.. when they don't even got Tony to join 'em.
May 23, 2008 6:18 AM
Feb 2007
I absolutely agree with everything that was already said here, but the thing I hated the most about the movie was that they just cut out the whole Mr. Prince thing, which is the main reason I liked this particular arc so much...

Though, I've got to wonder what Toei was thinking when they made this movie while the arc itself is just way too long for this idea to work properly.. :(
Sep 14, 2008 10:05 AM

Jul 2008
No Mizu Mizu Luffy?!??!? shame
Sep 29, 2008 7:07 PM

Jul 2008
The only excellent parts in the movie were the Luffy vs Crocodile fight, the few brief interactions between the Strawhats, the very ending, and the song that played during the credits.

Luffy vs. Crocodile was an excellent fight scene, I loved the animation. They didn't leave too much out of that final fight. The other fights...WHOA. Way too condensed. Each fight was only what, five minutes long? I miss the real Alabasta arc.

The ending was really pretty, but it, too seemed rushed. The whole movie just didn't have the same impact as the anime or the manga.

And Bon Clay-sama didn't get to redeem himself at the end. Sad. I did like how Robin was included in the ending, though, with her staring at Luffy's flag.
Feb 7, 2009 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
They cut out most of the funny part, and it lost it's One Pieceish atmosphere. (eg.: Usopp Hammer and the part where Smoker refuses the promotion)The Blu-Ray quality and the animation was good, however the art barely resembles the manga's. Nothing new OST wide either.
6/10
May 29, 2009 6:38 PM

Aug 2007
The movie was horrible.
Aug 17, 2009 1:06 AM

May 2009
Not a very good movie. Too much stuff was cut out, it wasn't funny, the art and animation was average. And too be honest I don't even like this arc.
Nov 23, 2009 4:25 AM

Aug 2006
it was a movie, they all sucks, just like fillers (oh i like alabaster arc at least the end (the crew fight are boring as hell even on the anime)
good thing i didn't need to eat 2 hours of usop fighting like a retard
oh well i was running out of things to watch so i watched it to kill time
deviantart died http://ichise-shinn.animepaper.ne/

dedanda, katsore, sasore, ataerande
Apr 15, 2010 11:34 AM

Jun 2008
they left out mucho great stuff but overall it was well done

RtheO
May 29, 2010 11:31 AM

Feb 2009
A good movie if you've seen the Arabasta arc. It's a very resumed and fast-paced retelling of that great arc with some minor changes. It's nostalgic, and if you've seen all the other moments in the TV series you will feel you are watching the best parts of the story. However the arc in the series is better than the movie of course.
Jun 17, 2010 4:49 PM
Apr 2010
Awful Movie...I've never seen the Arabasta Arc (Only at Ep.26),But i must say this isn't a movie at all it's way to fast pace no feel behind it.Watching a game a golf would of better than this!

Anyways a little off topic but whats with the artist weird sence of age? Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't ViVI 16 YearsOld? Why does she look so Old?..
Aug 13, 2010 11:48 AM

May 2007
The last like half hour was good but before that there was just too much rushing. Coming from someone who really, really liked the Arlabaster arc, I am disappointed.

5/10(It did still have some good scenes)
My anime list
Aug 14, 2010 1:45 AM

Dec 2007
Worst movie since Chopper's Animal Kingdom, if not worse because at least that film didn't brutally compress an entire story arc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2011 12:10 PM

Jul 2008
i just couldn't like it. it was just like, they were trying to make another movie so "oh, we can make a trailer of alabasta arc and show it as a new movie" etc. really, i didn't like it. thinking about alabasta arc, there was just tooooooo many things i liked weren't in the movie. one piece is in genre of comedy, but there was no trace for comedy. what the..?!
i am disappointed. it was out of expectations. give me back my one and half hour back.
hibertansiyarAug 4, 2014 6:22 AM
Jun 29, 2011 2:18 PM

Jul 2010
I liked it a lot, it wasn't as good as the arc but what can you expect from a movie that's just 1.30 h long? That's just +/- 5 episodes long... I liked the animation and the art style and the end fight between Luffy and Crocodile was nice, 8/10
Sep 26, 2011 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
I actually liked this more than any of the previous movies. I do think they could have chosen a bit better on what they included though. The fights with Mr. 1, 2, 4 felt superficial at best. Maybe focused more just on Bon Clay, as he was actually relevant to the plot, and dropped the rest for more plot critical content.

Anyway, I don't think it is hard to stand above the previous OP movies, as they have mostly been crap in the first place. This at least had a strong backing and a half decent plot to hold it up.
Jan 9, 2012 1:06 PM
Jun 2008
hmm i'll give this movie a 7

First part was too fast paced also for the strawhat battles. The battle with crocodile was great.

Also something i really liked was the tiny part of Nico Robin that they incorporated. She thinks about how she's saved twice by people with the 'will of D'. Thinking back to Saul and crying next to the strawhat ship. I can't remember this from the anime. However it's a real nice addition.
May 29, 2012 9:05 AM

Aug 2011
Too fast paced and skipped a lot of good scenes keeping in some of the boring ones.
Crocodile's voice actor was horrible in this, especially at the climax. I think it's a different voice to the one in the series.
NeowuJun 2, 2012 3:58 PM
May 7, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2011
Can someone get the mods and tell them that the title is wrong?!
It's "Episode of Alabasta" not "Alabaster" -.-

thank you!

@topic
I really loved the animation of this movie and it's not that bad as everyone's saying!

Aug 23, 2013 4:09 AM

May 2010
Definitely one of the best story arc in one piece!
Dec 6, 2013 7:48 PM

May 2009
This movie was boring. No Mr. Prince badass moment and no Usopp Pound...
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 15, 2014 12:40 PM

Feb 2013
the best part was Luffy punching Crocodile
Sep 27, 2014 9:01 AM

May 2013
T'was nice.
Oct 30, 2014 11:10 AM

Oct 2014
Well, scene with Robin was really touching. Other than that, no bad, but of course only after watching the whole series. Without that it doesn't make any sense.
Nov 22, 2014 11:07 AM

Feb 2014
Even though a lot of stuff were left out, I still loved it! That ending was epic!
SpiritGTNov 22, 2014 11:14 AM
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Dec 16, 2015 7:39 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Drunk_Samurai said:
The movie was horrible.

I hated this arc anyway. It was too long IMO but i thought the movie would change my opinion. It wasnt that way. Boring since it was really just a recap of the "main" story.

Mar 19, 2016 4:33 PM

Feb 2015
I like this arc in One Piece but this movie didn't have enough time to adapt all the content as this was a big arc and the animation wasn't a massive improvement either, way to fast paced.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2016 10:13 PM

Mar 2015
Was nice to see Vivi and the folks at Alabasta again, not bad for a recap movie.

Was also good to see what Robin was thinking before she snuck onboard the Merry, and that flashback with Saul.

7/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 8, 2016 5:05 AM
Mar 2016
Alabasta arc is one of my favorites so it was nice to see recap of it. I was quite impressed that they turned such long arc into a movie. But they left many good things out. Mizu Luffy, Ace and funny parts too but still liked the movie a lot.
Aug 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Sep 2014
Nice to see the old folks back again after so long. The movie didn't cover everything which is understandable because of time limit. Anyway overall nice recap ^^
May 7, 2017 11:37 PM

Oct 2014
This movie was.... bad.

First it was way too condensed to do the source material any justice, second they changed so many things and left out important, and impactful details. It feels like they made the arc worse and then shrunk it to fit under two hours.

The ED was good, and seeing Robin's extra scene before stowing away on the Merry was some of the only redeeming qualities about this movie. That and the higher definition and smoother animation. But it's not enough to bring this movie up to an acceptable level.

There are better fan-made recap arcs out there than this.
Jul 20, 2017 12:59 PM

Dec 2016
One of my favorite arcs condensed into a better animated movie!! I loved it, but missed some of the things the show covered during the arc, but hey that's understandable since this is a hour and a half movie and the show had dozens of 20 minute episodes
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 7, 2021 7:10 AM

Dec 2015
It was a bad recap movie, it felt like a bunch of clips stuck together.
Jul 16, 2021 10:08 AM

May 2016
This recap movie more or less served it purpose despite the fairly messy editing of relevant scenes throughout the arc and the omission of a lot of neat scenes. After around 800 episodes into the series and with how this jogged my memory of the entire Alabasta Arc itself, I actually ended up appreciating how good this arc was even more than when I first watched it!

It was nice to see Ms. All Sunday and Princess Vivi again. And of course, one of my favorite scenes in all of anime made me tear up once more~

Oct 26, 2021 1:33 AM

Jun 2019
I love the OG arc but this was just okay. Watched this out of boredom and while it wasn't bad or anything, it doesn't do the original justice by any means. Granted that's practically impossible when you condense an entire arc into a movie.

Basically if you want to rewatch Arabasta without watching the entire thing in the show, this is the movie for you. Though you likely won't get much out of it.
Jun 14, 2022 10:51 PM

Nov 2010
It's a decent summary movie with updated animation, especially the fight between Zoro and Daz. 7/10

I really liked this arc back when I was younger, but now that I've seen it again, I'm a bit annoyed that all of the protagonists are immortal.
Jun 16, 2023 2:36 AM

Aug 2019
I love seeing the Albasta arc with a much better animation!!

It was a good recap movie.
Jul 21, 2023 6:15 AM
Oct 2019
Yeahh idk how they think this idea of condense Alabasta Arc into a Movie was gonna work.
This Speedrunning of Alabasta Arc just lost all it's charm.

Upgrade Animation was nice though, but that's all about it.
Story got butcher a lot.

And the Goodbye scene with Vivi at the end just didn't hit the same, there is no emotion behind it.
Also they didn't used "We Are".
Bruhh

5/10 i'm being kind here.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.