Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 2012 1:59 PM

Aug 2011
Ive watched all 3 episodes that have been released and i have not seen 1 scene where there is a glimpse of horror, just a boy trying to find out what happened to a girl that died 26 years ago ....?
I do find it quite interesting however, it is dragging abit because no 1 will tell me the full story
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2012 2:24 PM

May 2011
Animenetworks says;

Genres: horror, mystery, psychological
Themes: death, school
Objectionable content: Intense

That's only what it tries to be. Not all anime manages to be what it tries.
To me those appear as; school, mystery, comedy.

Maybe it changes for better and starts to actually be what it promises, at least hoping it does. Strongly doubt that we will see any psychological contents however.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 24, 2012 3:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well if your definition of horror includes rampaging zombies, this is not the series for you lol.

And "psychological" content often gets lost in the adaptation decay. Read the original novels instead.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 24, 2012 3:04 PM

Dec 2011
its only been 3 episodes like wat everyone said.
Its only the beginning so you should most likely watch more before the actual content of the anime is more shown. You should also just read the manga or novel if you don't wanna wait for the next episode.
Jan 24, 2012 3:08 PM
Dec 2007
So not even the end of episode 3 is enough horror for you? god, people can't call something horror now a days without there being flesh eating armies of zombies trying to kick down your door now a days.

Jan 24, 2012 3:30 PM

Nov 2010
I lol'd. Man, some people put the label 'horror' on Battle Royale, despite basically being an action story adapted into a manga and live-action movie.
I play, the haters lose.
Jan 24, 2012 3:37 PM

Mar 2011
I'd call the umbrella scene horror >.>
Jan 24, 2012 3:48 PM

Dec 2009
Edefrem said:

I'd call it gore.
Jan 24, 2012 3:50 PM

Aug 2010
No such thing as horror in anime.

Japan just can't into horror.
Jan 24, 2012 4:38 PM

Sep 2011
ide agree but after episode 3 man......no this is a horror

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 24, 2012 4:49 PM

May 2011
Sir_Lexa said:
Edefrem said:

I'd call it gore.

I'd call it retarded.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 24, 2012 5:58 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Karhu said:
Sir_Lexa said:
Edefrem said:

I'd call it gore.

I'd call it retarded.

Indeed. Whether this anime is good or bad, you cannot deny it's in fact part of the horror genre. So far it's average.

Gore is not just some blood and a pierced neck.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 24, 2012 6:38 PM

Sep 2008
Just cause it doesn't scare you does not mean it wont scare a 5-10 year old kid.

Since when have horror things ever been scary?

Take the horror tag as an indication of the kind of atmosphere the show has and not whether it actually scares the viewer.
Jan 24, 2012 6:59 PM
Jun 2008
After finished the Novel, I think its more into mystery/problem solving than horror.
There is a few gore scene, but its not very scary.Maybe the last episode will be scary ,depending on how the producer make that scene =p

The author said that he is inspire by The other(1972) and The others(2001) into writing his Novel.Did anyone watch this before?
I downloaded the other(2001) but I am kinda chicken to watch it after watching that trailer >.<"
Jan 24, 2012 8:19 PM

Dec 2007
Ghosts are usually associated with horror so maybe that's why?
Jan 24, 2012 8:35 PM

Aug 2011
Homolust said:

QFT

and it is not even halfway of the complete series yet
Jan 25, 2012 12:38 PM

Sep 2011
Homolust said:

japan cant do horror???? your joking right, the only ones that can do horror anymore is the japenese(and koreans) that may sound like some weabo statement but im saying that cause horror went downhill fats after the 80's over here in the west

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 25, 2012 12:44 PM

Dec 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Homolust said:

japan cant do horror???? your joking right, the only ones that can do horror anymore is the japenese(and koreans) that may sound like some weabo statement but im saying that cause horror went downhill fats after the 80's over here in the west

+1

Best horror movies I watched came from Japan. And you can't call this horror if you don't really get into the story.
Jan 25, 2012 2:02 PM

Apr 2007
Homolust said:

Ignorant fool

The Grudge/ The ring?
Jan 25, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2010
This isn't horror, this is retardation.
Jan 25, 2012 4:03 PM

Jul 2011
IMO, I think that that the horror genre just doesn't work for anime in general (lack of realism, especially when compared to live-action horror films).
Jan 25, 2012 5:06 PM

Nov 2010
Horror is not necessarily to scare you! It is interesting and the story is new and cool! thats enough for me.
Jan 25, 2012 5:09 PM

Nov 2010
MorningGlory said:
After finished the Novel, I think its more into mystery/problem solving than horror.
There is a few gore scene, but its not very scary.Maybe the last episode will be scary ,depending on how the producer make that scene =p

The author said that he is inspire by The other(1972) and The others(2001) into writing his Novel.Did anyone watch this before?
I downloaded the other(2001) but I am kinda chicken to watch it after watching that trailer >.<"

The others(2001) is not scary either, It was more a drama+mystery, But I remember enjoying that move a lot back then and I think the story was so great.
Jan 25, 2012 5:12 PM

Sep 2011
akutasame94 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Homolust said:

+1

Best horror movies I watched came from Japan. And you can't call this horror if you don't really get into the story.

1: sorry for all the mispellings and errors, got new keyboard and its weird

2: i just realised something really sad about the horror industry of the U.S. the best horro films to come out of the west(that includes europe) in the last 10 years have been sean of the dead.....a COMEDY horror, attack the block, again a COMEDY horror, and the ring......aka a shitty remake of a japenese film.

wow we really have fallen,

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 25, 2012 5:34 PM

Oct 2011
Well it seems to involve some supernatural elements in the mystery/thriller like setting so it can be consider a horror.
Breaker5Jan 25, 2012 5:38 PM
Jan 25, 2012 5:42 PM
Jun 2008
Dariush said:
MorningGlory said:

The others(2001) is not scary either, It was more a drama+mystery, But I remember enjoying that move a lot back then and I think the story was so great.
Thank for the reply.
ya, I think story is what makes a series great.I think "Another" is a good mystery story as well ^.^
Jan 25, 2012 9:15 PM

Dec 2007
BlackListHunter said:
Homolust said:

Ignorant fool

The Grudge/ The ring?

Those films were more like WTF than scary to me. lol
Jan 25, 2012 9:49 PM
Jun 2008
^
That film is consider very scary when it introduced in Hong Kong.
Some people say "Another" is creepy and scary, but some are not ...
Jan 26, 2012 12:38 AM

Apr 2010
From Wikipedia:
"Horror fiction is a philosophy of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers, inducing feelings of horror [an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting] and terror[intense, sharp, overmastering fear]. It creates an eerie atmosphere."

Seems like horror to me, at least that's what Another is trying to tell us it is with the rusted buildings, weird rumors, creepy dolls, and people dying.

Is it actually horrifying or scary? Ehhhhh it's really up to you.

The Frankenstein novel is considered horror, but for me it wasn't close to scary. It just varies by person.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Jan 26, 2012 12:43 AM

Aug 2011
Homolust said:

Japan can't do horror? The Ring, and The Grudge disagree with you.
Jan 26, 2012 12:44 AM

Dec 2010
Well, it is a bit scary and does talk about death.

Read the manga. There's a reason why it's listed as horror. I'd tell you so but it would spoil you if you haven't read it.

Jan 26, 2012 1:39 AM

Nov 2010
Salinga said:
From Wikipedia:
"Horror fiction is a philosophy of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers, inducing feelings of horror [an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting] and terror[intense, sharp, overmastering fear]. It creates an eerie atmosphere."

Seems like horror to me, at least that's what Another is trying to tell us it is with the rusted buildings, weird rumors, creepy dolls, and people dying.

Is it actually horrifying or scary? Ehhhhh it's really up to you.

The Frankenstein novel is considered horror, but for me it wasn't close to scary. It just varies by person.

Katsuragi keima kun! please go back to your girl capturing business and leave scary stories alone! :D
Jan 26, 2012 2:19 AM

Apr 2010
Dariush said:

Katsuragi keima kun! please go back to your girl capturing business and leave scary stories alone! :D

He's got other useful advice too!

(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Jan 26, 2012 4:29 AM

Mar 2011
I'm watching just 'cause Misaki is very beautiful (another characters are useless).
A horror with the cuttest girl... WTF!
I can't recommend it to who wants a horror show.
Jan 26, 2012 4:44 AM

Jun 2009
MorningGlory said:

You should probably consider reading/watching some of the other references he did in the novel itself as well. Some also made it into the adaption, some sadly had to be cut out because of time restraints.
Interesting could be of course Stephen King, who is mentioned several times, especially Pet Semetary (1983) and Salem's Lot (1975). Also mentioned and pretty important would be John Saul (Suffer the Children/When the Wind Blows/etc.), Michael Slade or Dean Koontz.

The Other and The Others are clearly inspirations for Another's title alone, but I wouldn't try to limit it to those two stories.

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Homolust said:

Nah, I think that's about as wrong as saying the Japanese can't do horror.
Several horror cinema schools all over the world practically developed side by side since the 30's after taking inspiration from early films from all over the world. The only problem was that the US practically singled themselves out by becoming TOO big and TOO powerful in comparison so that in the 2000's horror movies were severely lacking that certain creative spark.
So called Asian Horror was just commercialized as being new, innovative and so totally different, because exotic stuff sells better at first...and they definitely needed a cash cow. If you look closer there are actually many, many things connecting "J-Horror" and "US-Horror".

I mean, just look at Another and the many references it's giving as an inspiration.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 30, 2012 1:55 AM

Jul 2010
Horror can mean different things to different people, I am enjoying the atmosphere and suspense which I would consider horror.
Jan 30, 2012 11:00 AM

Nov 2009
As someone quoted a definition of horror above or many replies before me, HORROR isn't about having the presence of zombies, other dead entities coming back to kill people, gore, and other manifestations the word "horror" in movies have become connotated with.

HORROR actually describes the feeling when something unexpected happens, and you are left utterly shocked, stunned, confounded, and etc. It doesn't have to be someone appearing from behind or whatever materializing act either. It could be brought about by an unexpected REVELATION, either by dialogue or realization.

HORROR DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SCARY, but the scenes that are usually attributed to it are usually so (like vampires baring fangs or etc - sometimes). It STARTLES rather than scares usually. But then, people would always equate being startled as being scared most often. =.=

With the umbrella thing in ep 3, I think SUSPENSE is also included as a genre. SUSPENSE would mean that something you had foreseen/expected/hinted (from the focus and clues of the eps) beforehand (note the redundancy) would happen later on, but you SUSPEND the thought and wait if it really does happen.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jan 30, 2012 11:07 AM

Apr 2011
witchhuntress said:
HORROR actually describes the feeling when something unexpected happens, and you are left utterly shocked, stunned, confounded, and etc. It doesn't have to be someone appearing from behind or whatever materializing act either. It could be brought about by an unexpected REVELATION, either by dialogue or realization.

As with the elevator thing in episode 4. Both, especially the most recent, seem to be pure horror, following your (correct) definition.
Jan 30, 2012 11:22 AM

Feb 2010
Horror is different for each person and culture. What might seem tame or mildly disturbing to you might be horrific for another person. Gore is in fact an aspect of horror as it is considered a body horror. The problem with Another is that it tries too hard and an over-saturation of creepy or disturbing materials will actually make a person less scared as they become accustomed to the horror.
An example (although a non anime example) would be Dead Space. The game is creepy at first but by the midpoint you don't get scared anymore because you become accustomed to the games scare tactics.
FatherAndersonJan 30, 2012 11:34 AM
Jan 31, 2012 4:12 PM

Aug 2011
OMG finally some horror episode 3 FTW
*spolier* the umbrella through the throat and the nurse dead in the lift
im really getting into this anime now
Jan 31, 2012 9:46 PM

Nov 2010
This thread sums up in:

"This doesn't scare me, so it's not horror."

Don't bother with logic.
Jan 31, 2012 10:10 PM

Jul 2011
Do you fear of every horror movie you watch?
"People fall in love with a person, not a gender."
Feb 1, 2012 2:36 AM

Nov 2010
Yes I am in my closet now!
Feb 1, 2012 9:32 AM

Aug 2011
where did i say why dosnt this anime make me scared, nothing be that be movies or anime gets me scared bbecause its all fake i mean where are the blood gore beating some 1 to death torture
Feb 1, 2012 9:42 AM

Jan 2011
Well this can be considered 'horror' if Final Destination can be considered 'horror'. They both have similar types of horror aspects within them. Not all things in the horror genre are of the same type of horror.
Feb 1, 2012 7:26 PM

Jan 2008
I feel that this is more "suspense," a little revolted or sickened by the blood but it doesn't make want to close my eyes or anything. To me terror and thus horror was when I watched the Urado arc in Ghost Hunt.
Feb 1, 2012 7:42 PM

Nov 2011
Dariush said:
Yes I am in my closet now!

Everyone knows the monsters lurk in the closet at night.. FOOL!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 1, 2012 10:40 PM

Mar 2008
Ghost Hound is pretty scary. lol This isn't scary, but I guess it does have the 'horror' atmosphere.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." -Friedrich Nietzsche | Last.fm

Feb 2, 2012 10:40 AM

Jun 2009
Junigenmukyoku said:
Ghost Hound is pretty scary.

It's pretty interesting how many people found Ghost Hound scary...which again shows how much perspective changes that aspect. I know Ghost Hound had certain aspects of horror motives...but I would rather describe it as a suspense-mystery.
Maybe it had creepy passages, but I don't think it ever had the goal to scare it's audience. Another on the other hand has the goal to be at least creepy...

That's what it boils down to I think...the genre is decided by the author and the audience decides in a majority vote (and individually) whether it succeded or not. Something can't be removed from a genre just because it doesn't succeed at it...I think.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Feb 3, 2012 11:13 AM
Feb 2010
Homolust said:

While i don't know about the first sentence, i strongly disagree with the second one.

Have you checked Umezu's or jungi ito's works (manga)?

About the anime, it gives me the feeling that they are trying too hard to make it seam like a horror anime......

still gonna watch it though, its kinda fun
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

538 by 0ddi_ »»
May 23, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1043 by NoviSun »»
May 21, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CuriousThing - Feb 20, 2012

372 by BertBert »»
May 21, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MrSteeel - Jan 23, 2012

666 by BertBert »»
May 21, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ilikeyouevenmore - Jan 16, 2012

383 by BertBert »»
May 21, 2:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.