Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece: Episode of Chopper Plus - Fuyu ni Saku, Kiseki no Sakura Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2008 12:40 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, so talk about a well-done movie. I was pretty skeptic at first on how Robin, Franky and the Thousand Sunny would fit into this episode, but they did it pretty well. I think because the Drum Island arc was much shorter than the Alabasta arc, they were able to do a remake much better.

Let's see. The character model artwork seemed really reminiscent of movie 6, but had its own style. Rest of the art looked really good. Mushul - Wapol's brother - was a little weird, but I loved the fight between him and Luffy. The animation effects of Gear 2nd were really good. Though the fact that Mushul actually gave Luffy some trouble is kinda sad as he seemed really weak.

Anyway, good movie. I give it a solid 8 as watching it made me remember the good parts about the Drum Island arc.
VK11Aug 16, 2008 12:43 PM
Aug 16, 2008 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
This movie made me remind how awesome One Piece is, again and again and again.
I also think this movie had the best movie opening out of all OP movies.

There were times where I thought the art looked too rushed, but maybe that's just me, but I agree that it resembled the style of movie 6 a little.

I also wasn't sure about Robin, Franky, Thousand Sunny (and also Wapol's brother) being involved, just like you, but after watching the movie, I think that it refreshed the story more. I mean, the story is already known to us, but because of these new things, they made the retelling even more interesting because you don't know what to expect beside the important storylines.

And what I absolutely loved about this movie is that they didn't cut the very funny/awesome scenes out that happened in the arc. The previous movie lacked that kind of scenes too much in my opinion, but well, that arc was way too long to recap in one movie without missing every awesomeness out. This movie didn't missed all the awesomeness one bit.

And how could I forget the fighting? I think the end fight was absolutely awesome. So much spirit, but that's One Piece ofcourse <3

I'm not exactly waiting for another retelling, but if it would be made on the same level as this one (or even greater perhaps? O.O), I don't think I would have any complaints at all ^^
I give it a 9 ^^
Aug 16, 2008 6:54 PM

Aug 2007
Ah. Beat me to it.
Only because I was busy and could not have the time to watch it xD.

But anyway, I liked the movie. The animation was a bit....iffy but I grew into it. The retelling was much better than the Alabasta since they actually got alot of key points that made Chopper's story seem incredible. That was pretty much it though. The retelling.
I did not care for the fighting at all since it really made Chopper...bad. I liked it better when he first utilized his Rumble Ball rather than just do the a quick three point attack.

The music was tremendously great and it fit the overall theme of the story.

All in all I had to give it a 7/10.
It was a good try, but they could have done better.
Aug 17, 2008 3:07 AM
Jul 2007
I want to ask, the Nakama-Fansubs's sub is good? Just because it's just SD and there's no HD right?

If no, I will wait for the HD version. ^^
Aug 17, 2008 7:14 AM

May 2007
Rasengan said:
I want to ask, the Nakama-Fansubs's sub is good? Just because it's just SD and there's no HD right?

If no, I will wait for the HD version. ^^

Yeah, its just a SD version. As for the Fansub group, they are pretty good. They are a cross between Vegapunk and ADC-Elites. I would recommend them.

The only problem I had was with the episode itself. I think it was a problem with the RAW they used. The speech volume was really low compared to all of the background music. But I think it won't be so much of a problem if you use VLPlayer to view it.
Aug 17, 2008 9:14 AM

Jun 2007
I thought I was over Hiliuk's death..... ;_;

Pretty good, but I rather see an original story (which is what we are getting next) But for a remake, it certainly entertained me.
Aug 17, 2008 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
That was awesome. I don't really like Chopper as a character in One Piece as Chopper tends to be a serious character, while what makes unique is it's awesome comedy; however, Chopper's back story IMO was always the most touching. This movie brings that story to life in all its glory. It was absolutely beautiful. If you ignore that comedy aspect of One Piece for just this movie, than IMO you will enjoy it as much as I did.

*insert Franky style crying here*
OmegaRedAug 18, 2008 11:19 AM

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Aug 17, 2008 4:52 PM

Jul 2007
awww... this movies brought back such great memories of one piece. the chopper arc was like... 200 episodes ago so over time i forgot bits and pieces. but after watching this movie, it reminded me why i got into one piece so much :]

as a movie, it was alright. you can't expect much since it's just a retelling and you know what's gonna happen. but like i said, it brought back nice memories :]

Aug 17, 2008 7:35 PM

Oct 2007
The previous movie wasn't too good as a recap, but this one was pretty amazing. The animation reminded me of movie 6 as well, which I actually like a lot. The music was also very impressive.

I actually liked how they tied in Franky, Robin, 1000 Sunny, Mushal, Gears 2 & 3, as well. Because usually remakes are a little boring, but with these slight changes it made it a little different and thus more entertaining.

But really I just loved it because I got to see some of my favorite One Piece scenes again, and this reminded of just how great the Drum Island Arc was. Luffy standing on top of the castle with Hiruluk's flag, Hiruluk's death, the sakura snow at the end, man so many amazing and nostalgic moments. I simply loved it =]

Aug 31, 2008 6:51 AM

Sep 2007
First off, I'm not a fan of Chopper and I didn't like Drum Arc. Basically, the addition of Franky and Co was the only thing that motivated me to watch this at all but it wasn't enough, especially since about 50% of the movie were Chopper's flashback. The movie was definitely better than the last one but still not really outstanding.

But didn't one of the trailers include a giant Oz-like monster-silhouette? What happened to that, I was waiting for that for 2 hours and nothing. Was that just a joke?

I'm eagerly awaiting movie 10 though (for an entire year probably >.<) since that one looks really promising.
Aug 31, 2008 12:50 PM

Aug 2007
Hililuk still made me cry.
Sep 30, 2008 6:23 PM

Jul 2008
Dang it, I cried twice during this movie! ;_;

It was extremely good; I'd say it was one of the best OP movies so far. Almost exactly like Chopper's arc, it gave me the warm fuzzies on this cold day. :)

The entire movie flowed really well, and almost all of my favorite scenes were left in or tweaked a bit to fit in with the storyline. (Like Sanji's line to Chopper about Luffy being a monster, too; it had the same impact to me as when I watched it in the anime even though the scene was rearranged.)

Things that were left out (that I noticed):
* the snowbirds
* Zoro going swimming and later walking around with the bare minimum of clothing. (He does still get a cool fight; its just not over a jacket.)
* Chessmarimo (Wapol doesn't "eat" Chess and Kuromarimo, much to their pleasure.
* Dr. Kureha throwing a chicken. :(

Mushul was a pretty good character. Franky had some good scenes, and Robin just replaced Vivi for the most part. (It was very funny comparing hers and Vivi's reactions to events, especially at Usopp's unfortunate crisis. XD

The animation was pretty good; the bright colors reminded me of cotton candy. (How appropriate!) The animation for the action scenes looked...well...like hyped-up cotton candy! Yeah. :D The music was FANTASTIC.

Anyway, I love this movie, and if Funi dubs it I would most definitely buy it. Chopper's story is most certainly worth it.
Dec 18, 2008 8:27 PM

Mar 2008
I just noticed that Anime Crazy is listed as a sub-group for this anime. They did not sub it... http://www.animecrazy.net/forums/791488-post64.html

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Dec 19, 2008 9:13 AM

Mar 2008
I jsut finnished watching it on this cold december evening. =) It was a really nice movie. Choppers story is so sad i was so close to crying several times.
Feb 11, 2009 10:17 AM

Oct 2007
Complete waste of time.
A fake story and a shitty remake, better watch the usual ecchi-school-drama crap instead, its at least not as bad as this one. :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2009 9:00 PM

May 2008
^Huh?

Anyway, I loved the movie :) Chopper's story is so sad and the ending is so..pretty!

I agree, it was a better recap of the Alabasta arc. :)
May 2, 2009 4:25 PM

Aug 2007
Not bad. I thought he was gonna bazooka the guy at the end though :(
May 31, 2009 12:04 AM

Aug 2007
It was ok. Not too good and not too bad.
Jun 4, 2009 2:20 AM

Mar 2009
for me its one of the best movie of one piece ever release..^^ hoping for the next would be best also..
Dec 5, 2009 8:17 PM

May 2008
Sweet Movie!
Dec 11, 2009 2:16 AM

Aug 2009
Kryptoncat said:
Dang it, I cried twice during this movie! ;_;

I did too...

Chopper and Dr. Hililuk story, is probably my favourite one of all in one piece, hell I cried so much when I've first seen it..

Seriously... it's really tragic... really... really tragic.

"When do you think a man dies?
When he is hit by a bullet? No.
When he suffers a disease? No.
When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No!

A man dies when he is forgotten."

This was my favourite quote of all time... ;_;
Mar 28, 2010 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, I still thought it was wierd to have Robin and Franky in there, but they pulled it of rather well.

Not bad for a recap movie ^^

May 29, 2010 11:20 AM

Feb 2009
I loved this movie so much partly due to the fact that Chopper has been one of my favorite (One Piece) characters ever since the Drum Island arc.

In the anime, his arc was one of my favorites as well as one of the most emotional and inspiring stories I have ever seen, be it in One Piece, anime or entertainment in general. The pacing was almost perfect, they managed to keep all the important points, rearranged the story a little bit so it could make sense and have the movie format, had incredible animation like I have not seen before in One Piece (I love this style of animation) and even if I was "rewatching" it, it's such an amazing story that I won't criticize it for not being an original.

The first movie based of a popular anime series that I ranked a 9... ever. Truth be told, one cannot enjoy this movie to its full extent if he is not familiar with the story and especially with the characters.
Jun 21, 2010 12:01 AM
Apr 2009
Just awesome. So hard to hold back tears so many times... T~T
Sep 2, 2010 11:14 AM

Apr 2009
It had awesome animation that could have been used for better things.
Oct 10, 2010 2:32 AM

Jan 2010
Personally Chopper is the most annoying member of the crew then its brooke, But I love choppers story he had the most heartfelt one to me outta the whole crew. I would say only 1 member had anything close as touching of a back story chopper did. Personally Brooke had the next most touching back story because of the whole Laboon thing and Luffy relaying the message that he was still waiting. (sorry to get off topic) lol

All in all I give this movie a 10 outta 10. Best OP movie I have seen and great retelling especially since they added Robin and Franky (not to metion gear second)
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Oct 23, 2010 10:05 PM

May 2007
That was better than I thought it would be, it was better paced then the Arlabaster one, but the character designs, eww

I didn't care much for the new character either, but I didn't die watching it, which after movie 3 and 8 combining, I thought I would

5/10
mitamakingOct 24, 2010 9:47 AM
My anime list
Feb 9, 2012 8:08 AM

Jan 2012
i was going to skip this movie since the arabasta one was shit, but i read about the addition of robin and franky and decided i'd give it a try.

it surprised me by being a superb retelling! it included most of the scenes i loved and reworked some of them to superior effect as well. i appreciated the concise story telling compared to the normal episodic pace. chopper's backstory made me BAWL the first time around and i teared up this time too, between the battered reindeer and hiluluk's last speech. in short, they took a really good arc and made a really good movie out of it, cutting and combining and remaking scenes in a way that didn't leave me much room to complain.

the best thing about this retelling is the superior animation. luffy's fight was simply delicious. i loved the occasional use of cg as well, especially how realistic the avalanche was. that kind of stuff isn't in the anime; i was pretty much drooling over how amazing and frightening the snow looked.

this isn't my favorite movie because it's a remake, and i'm not the type of person who can rewatch things i still remember without feeling slightly bored. but i appreciate its quality as a remake.
Apr 30, 2012 2:54 AM

Aug 2010
Fuck, it's been ages since I've seen the Drum Island Arc. Watching this movie reminded me of Chopper's past. Manly tears were shed.
Dec 25, 2012 2:09 PM

Jul 2010
Hey, I enjoyed this movie. Chopper's back story is one of my favorites thus far. Honestly though, I didn't tear up as much as I did during the anime. I feel like the movie could have extended some of the more heartwarming scenes to make a bigger impact like the series had(oh man I cried so hard during some episodes), but of course I was expecting some cuts. Also, I like how Robin and Franky basically replaced Vivi and Carue, haha.
ArasatoDec 25, 2012 2:13 PM
Jan 16, 2013 12:26 PM

Feb 2009
It was pretty good and very nostalgic. I hope they make movie adaptations for all the story arcs. Would be totally awesome!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Mar 6, 2013 5:02 AM

Oct 2009
Finally watched it!!! Waaaaaaa this made me cry again! :')
Really good recap/movie! But was a bit disappointed with Zoro, Franky and Robin's screen-time, i expected them to have more of something to do :/

8/10
Mar 22, 2014 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
Damn... I forgot how emotional Chopper's story was... so fucking sad... and the voice actor (who does Pikachu) is just amazing... the cries coming from Chopper just sound like they are coming from his heart.

Animation was bad in some areas...

9/10
Sep 4, 2014 10:42 AM
Jun 2013
Wow that animation, man. So amazing. Like really, Luffy vs. the poison guy was so epicly animated, especially when Luffy used Gear Second. I'm stunned.
Sep 8, 2014 5:11 PM

Jun 2012
I cried way too many times during this movie. Mostly every scene involving hiluluk, like when he stripped naked and said he would never shoot chopper, or when he actually chose to shoot chopper, or when he drank choppers medicine even tho he knew it would speed up his death. Mad respect. I think its mostly because this reminded me of how good one piece was before the time skip or maybe its because I fully understand the meaning behind his actions now unlike when I was a kid watching this.
Nov 28, 2014 6:38 PM

Feb 2014
I thought this movie was amazing! I love Chopper's story, it is just so emotional! They did Chopper's story so well, everything was portrayed amazingly. Not going to lie, I held back tears tried to hold back tears many times throughout this movie, it hit me hard.
I simply loved it, getting to see the best bits from the Drum Island Arc again, which was done so well! Like the part when Luffy protects Dr. Hiluluk's flag, that was just amazing!
I absolutely loved this movie, it reminded me of why One Piece is epic! This movie showed why One Piece is simply epic! The awesome storylines, the emotional moments, the epicness, the comedy... damn One Piece is simply amazing, it is just EPIC!
I also liked the twist, with Robin, Franky and the Thousand Sunny, that was done pretty well and it did not feel out of place for me. Robin slapping Usopp to thaw him out, and then saying its frost bite, lol. Ahhh I loved how the comedy was kept in, like Luffy and Sanji chasing Chopper around in the castle.
This movie was so nostalgic, it had the best bits from the Drum Island Arc and the Chopper & Dr. Hiluluk story was done so damn well, the comedy was fantastic, and the fight scenes were brilliant (even though Wapol and his brother were really weak) and the new content/twist was pretty cool overall.
I give this movie a 10/10 because of the nostalgia, the emotional roller coaster ride and because it showed why One Piece is so damn EPIC!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
May 1, 2015 7:02 PM

Jan 2015
This movie was ok. I liked it mainly because it was One Piece. But to be honest, this movie is one gigantic spoiler for people who haven't watched the series past the Drum Island Arc and not know yet about Franky and Robin joining the crew.
Jun 21, 2015 5:02 PM

Mar 2015
SpiritGT said:
I thought this movie was amazing! I love Chopper's story, it is just so emotional! They did Chopper's story so well, everything was portrayed amazingly. Not going to lie, I held back tears tried to hold back tears many times throughout this movie, it hit me hard.
I simply loved it, getting to see the best bits from the Drum Island Arc again, which was done so well! Like the part when Luffy protects Dr. Hiluluk's flag, that was just amazing!
I absolutely loved this movie, it reminded me of why One Piece is epic! This movie showed why One Piece is simply epic! The awesome storylines, the emotional moments, the epicness, the comedy... damn One Piece is simply amazing, it is just EPIC!
I also liked the twist, with Robin, Franky and the Thousand Sunny, that was done pretty well and it did not feel out of place for me. Robin slapping Usopp to thaw him out, and then saying its frost bite, lol. Ahhh I loved how the comedy was kept in, like Luffy and Sanji chasing Chopper around in the castle.
This movie was so nostalgic, it had the best bits from the Drum Island Arc and the Chopper & Dr. Hiluluk story was done so damn well, the comedy was fantastic, and the fight scenes were brilliant (even though Wapol and his brother were really weak) and the new content/twist was pretty cool overall.
I give this movie a 10/10 because of the nostalgia, the emotional roller coaster ride and because it showed why One Piece is so damn EPIC!

pretty much this.
Chopper's backstory with Dr. Hiluluk always made me cry.
"The island you were born on is like this compared to the world"
"Your future lies beyond that sea"
And then his epic speech.

This is why I am a One Piece fan.
Mar 19, 2016 7:59 AM

Dec 2014
I liked how the fitted the character that were later introduced in the anime
Jul 25, 2016 7:12 AM

Mar 2015
This was a brilliant redo of the Drum island arc, and the changes were great to help it not be just another recap movie. Robin and Franky replaced Vivi and that Mushroo guy was an adversary worthy of bringing Luffy's Gear Second to the fore

Memorable bit for me was when Robin pulled Usopp out of the snow, his pose was just divine!

10/10 for me, I absolutely adore Chopper and revisiting his arc and backstory was a neat experience.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 28, 2016 4:23 PM

Sep 2014
Even though its a recap I really really enjoyed the movie a lot. Copper is an awesome character no matter what other says really love him :)
Apr 11, 2017 4:36 PM

Jan 2015
Chopper's backstory was always one to give me the feels, so was happy to watch that again, and glad they didn't touch it at all. Robin and Franky being present doesn't really affect the storyline, same for Luffy's techniques that he isn't supposed to display at that stage.

However, that original character, Wapol's brother, is where things start to turn sour. His chara design was decent, but that's pretty much the only positive. His backstory is terrible and his power makes no sense... Like, how are drills related to mushrooms, and sometimes he seems to vanish like a Logia but then he gets hit like he's a Paramecia. Terrible addition that weakened the movie a lot.

Also gotta touch on the production value. This movie seems rushed as heck. Animation quality is very rough, as soon as the action gets in motion the characters lose all sense of cohesion and their form starts to wobble around. Art was also very minimal, with a big lack of details all around, especially in the latter parts. The last 40 minutes as a whole seemed completely rushed, not only in terms of visuals but story-wise too.

Overall I still enjoyed most of it because the story on which the movie is based on is very good. But the lack of technical care, the horrible OC and the speedy last third did temper my enthusiasm quite a bit.
May 8, 2017 2:51 AM

Oct 2014
This was a brilliant way to recap an arc. Much much much better than the alabasta movie. I'm sure a large part of it is due to the length of Chopper's arc being smaller than Alabasta, letting the movie hit all the key points it needs to without seeming rushed.

I also really enjoyed the addition of Franky and Robin. They made all the interactions fresh so even if you had recently seen the anime arc, you weren't just seeing the same lines. Plus it gave us access to some of Luffy's later abilities like the gear second and third showing up towards the end. I didn't particularily care for Wapol's brother, but he at least gave an interesting fight with Luffy.

The animation I think was really well done. Though I'm sure people's tastes vary on this. Personally I like the hectic, hard to follow art style of the fighting, but I'm sure that can be a turn off for some. I also especially liked the avalanche scene, as well as several of the sweeping shots. However during some scenes it seems like a lot of detail is left out.

8/10.
Nov 10, 2017 8:45 PM

Dec 2016
Kind of weird with the addition of Robin, Franky, and the Sunny to the original arc, but still an all around solid movie
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 30, 2020 9:16 AM

Sep 2019
When I watched the drum island arc it wasn't as good as this movie presents it.
Good animation and slightly different story line changed the atmosphere of this arc. 6/10
Dec 22, 2021 5:57 AM

Jun 2013
The alternate timeline thing was a bit odd but I enjoyed all the chopper content & it reminded me why I liked chopper so much as a kid when I watched this arc (still love him but I'd forgotten how good his character is in this arc).
Dec 29, 2021 9:53 AM
Aug 2019
melody404 said:
The alternate timeline thing was a bit odd but I enjoyed all the chopper content & it reminded me why I liked chopper so much as a kid when I watched this arc (still love him but I'd forgotten how good his character is in this arc).

Does this movie have an English dub ?
Dec 31, 2021 7:24 PM

Nov 2012
I was skeptical because I hate recaps, but intrigued because of the inclusion of Robin and Franky. Really glad I didn't skip it. I truly enjoyed it.
Jan 2, 2022 4:17 AM

Jun 2013
lotus_eater said:
melody404 said:

Does this movie have an English dub ?

There's no eng dub for this one
Jan 24, 2022 8:15 AM

May 2016
For some reason, seeing the entirety of Chopper's past hit a lot harder for me this time around. I knew that it was sad but I didn't quite realize that it was that brutal and tragic back then.

It was weird that Robin and Franky was with them but I'd say that they've fit in quite well. It's almost like a recollection of a fan that confused the sequence of some events and I found it to be quite interesting. A shame that Vivi's nowhere to be seen, though.

Also, it was surprising to find out that Mamoru Hosoda didn't direct this one since the artstyle used here looked just like the one in Baron Omatsuri's Island's Secret.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.