Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 13, 2016 12:48 PM

Oct 2015
Although short and messy, the animation and setting left me in awe. Very much looking forward to when my download of the main TV series is finished.

It's touhou and FLCL shoved in a blender, and the result seems to be well, good actually.
Jul 17, 2017 10:38 PM

Jul 2009
Fast-paced action with flashy visuals? I like! The colourfulness and craziness of the art and animation was awesome :3 Shame the quality was so low though, but I guess not much can be done about that. Music was pretty good too, and what I saw of the characters were good. They all seem pretty crazy XD It was definitely a bit confusing, but for something so short it was decent enough. Definitely made me curious about the world/universe. Hope the next versions are as good as this or better. 7/10
Jul 9, 2019 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
I found this series on SakugaBooru and I don't regret it. I love that it took me a good 20 minutes just to digest the first 5 minutes of this show, and I enjoyed every second of it! All the characters are really interesting

TL;DR I'm here for Watanabe
Jul 16, 2019 4:35 PM

Apr 2010
I'm confused about what this is. I found episodes 1-10 and that's kyousou giga (tv), I found episodes 0 and 10.5 but those are apparently the recaps so.. What is this? :( Everything has a similar description. I wanted to start with this one
Aug 6, 2019 8:03 PM

Oct 2016
That art was really good. It feels like every little thing was animated in a very Trigger-esque style.
I think this is one of those things that's worth watching twice, to get a bigger picture.
It was a pretty good watch. I'm interested in seeing how the 2012 and 2013 series' do.

Dec 13, 2020 5:11 AM

Dec 2015
Concept ONA for a pretty bland intrigue, dynamic style making up for it while falling into the "too much anime" trap.

Naturally, since this is about a girl supposedly trapped in another dimension, there has to be a bunny. Obviously, since this opted for an over-the-top "anime" style (as seen by outsiders, I mean), the bunny has to be a long-haired big-breasted lightly clothed woman.

Score: 6.5/10
Enjoyment: 3/5

I didn't bother reading what stands above, or rather I stopped after noticing several "Didn't understand". Another anime to testify how desperate the average internet anime consumer way of watching is. Everything needed to understand what's going on is either shown through the actions and events or (and MAINLY) enunciated by the characters themselves. Or given away by the characters names. Seriously...

@St0rmblade Out of curiosity, what with the videogame theme and aspect given to this Kyôtô from another dimension?
Also, since there isn't really an overall written evaluation from you nor a score, how was the TV adaptation?
Rei_IIIDec 13, 2020 5:16 AM
Dec 13, 2020 7:37 AM

Aug 2017
Myoue has a T-shirt saying "Teppan", which is the performer of the OP from the series.

"Miyako-sama" as in "capital"? So Koto is the goddess of Mirror Kyoto here, huh. And has a peculiar relationship with Hammer Koto.

What's with that random Banpresto pop-up? Also I just noticed the year 2065 in the newspaper given out by the toy rabbit. And that heart-shaped thing on the front on the temple tower.

Nice transition from Yase throwing her toy to Koto getting hit.

Inari had a different design in this early ONA apparently, his hair resembling Koto's. Now I get why rabbit-Koto kissed Koto, mistaking her for Inari.

Rei_III said:

Obviously, since this opted for an over-the-top "anime" style (as seen by outsiders, I mean), the bunny has to be a long-haired big-breasted lightly clothed woman.

@St0rmblade Out of curiosity, what with the videogame theme and aspect given to this Kyôtô from another dimension?
Also, since there isn't really an overall written evaluation from you nor a score, how was the TV adaptation?

This "womanly" aspect is not exploited in the TV series in any fanservice-ish ways, and there's a good in-universe explanation for Koto being a beautiful woman.

The TV adaptation is great, I just need to give scores faster, I guess (hesitating between a 9 and a 10, I might appreciate the show more after reading a bit about the production and all that in the interviews). The events from this ONA are mostly unique though (bits and pieces were used in the TV here and there, esp. the action scenes from the second half). This version also has some plot elements that were either not used or changed in the TV series, though chronologically it can be placed in the middle of the show and expands on the respective events a bit. I'm actually somewhat glad I watched it after the TV adaptation. Though doing the opposite could've been interesting too.

My speculation on the "videogame aesthetics" and the overall colorful and vibrant style is that Matsumoto brings over some legacy from working on magical girl shows (Precure), plus the city from another dimension kinda needs to look different. Some of the city's inhabitants look like blobs for a reason though, since it's "Jigoku", one can speculate that those with human form still have some attachments (in the Buddhist sense) to the world, while the "blobs" are not and are closer to reincarnation (although this interpretation is more obvious in the TV series, the festival gives some hints). Another comparison I was thinking of is Penguindrum and Sarazanmai, which were also using "cardboard" background characters to signify something relevant. So it might be a creative touch of sorts.

Well, now for Matsumoto's quote:
– But in reality, your Kyoto is shifted quite away from the real Kyoto. What was the purpose to this difference?

For the 5 minute film, I used ‘Alice Through the Looking Glass’ as a motif. Besides, I thought it would be better if I mixed humans, yokai and even mecha to make it feel less normal and more like a mystery hotpot. I prioritized the pictures I wanted over what the themes will be.

Instead of trying to portray the present Kyoto with realism, It felt better for me to use a name that can provide a distinctive image, whilst layering my own images over that.

From here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20201208030031/https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/09/25/rie-matsumoto-a-new-generation-of-directing-via-kyousougiga/
(Domain expired, hence the wayback link)

St0rmbladeDec 19, 2020 6:36 AM
Dec 30, 2020 9:40 PM

Sep 2018
Well that was... something... my mind is still trying to make sense of what I just watched, it was a little too tiring to watch to say that I actually liked it, yet I want to see more...
KristiwazhereDec 30, 2020 9:46 PM
Jun 22, 2021 12:45 AM

May 2020
Interesting artstyle and a nice bit of chaos. I enjoyed it.

It's pretty clear that there's more to this story so onto the ONA's.
May 24, 2023 10:50 AM

Apr 2019
i dont know what that was about but the art was amazing and more yuri is welcome

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Apr 5, 12:45 PM

Mar 2019
Gainax vibes in this anime.
Apr 17, 5:19 AM

May 2020
It supposed to be a good show and animation goes different
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one that thinks this is going to be the best show of the winter season?

iCameSwagYOLO420 - Nov 21, 2011

18 by neonBdragon »»
Oct 5, 2013 5:02 AM

» This

Nikoru-san - Dec 7, 2011

1 by Tecprincess »»
Feb 28, 2013 6:57 PM

» Yes! More Kyousogiga very soon!

Kurini - Aug 25, 2012

0 by Kurini »»
Aug 25, 2012 7:37 PM

» The F*** im gonna watch this coz of Rie Kugumiya!!

kutchero - Feb 10, 2012

4 by mystik »»
Aug 4, 2012 11:47 PM

» About the ending theme

ricardo241 - Apr 10, 2012

1 by DearTraveler »»
Jul 31, 2012 11:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.