Forum Settings
Forums

65% of People are Not Pleased with Live Action Adaptations of Anime and Manga

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 30, 2011 2:32 PM

May 2010
I agree they're usually pretty shit, but not always. I enjoyed the DMC movie, Nodame, Hana Kimi. Plan on watching Arakawa soon. Oh, and Atashinchi no Danshi was good too.

Its things like Honey-senpai's shrinking in OHSHC that ruin them. Strange things they add in the drama for no reason at all. And are totally creepy.
Nov 30, 2011 2:45 PM

Sep 2008
#2 is pointless, since the only way you can surpass the original is by making some changes to it. I don't, and will never understand the people who want an adaptation to be exactly the same as the original. I don't even see a reason to see that adaptation in this case since I already know everything that's gonna happen.

So the #1 is definitely more important. And following #4 is enough to retain the essentials of the story.
Nov 30, 2011 3:07 PM
Jun 2011
leeahseng said:
well Dragonball movie was pretty GREAT wasn't it?

Seriously? Did you even watch that movie?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 30, 2011 3:14 PM

Mar 2008
JBranch

That user was beeing sarcastic.
Nov 30, 2011 3:17 PM
Sep 2009
JBranch said:
leeahseng said:

If you'll excuse me, I'm pretty sure that comment was played for sarcasm~

~~

Anyway, I, personally, am indifferent toward live-action adaptations; I just don't care for them~
Nov 30, 2011 4:18 PM
Oct 2008
KoizumiRisa said:
Well, the main reason why I don't like live action adaptations because I find the acting simply... awkward. ^^; What works in anime, doesn't work in real life.

This it just doesn't work out... at all
Nov 30, 2011 4:31 PM
Jul 2018

Worst is when live actions end up being ridiculous by trying to mimic anime specific characteristics :/ For example, myself I couldn't watch Ouran High School live action, all that pinkiness just doesn't match with the live action in my eyes... or Lovely Complex
Nov 30, 2011 4:39 PM

Nov 2007
live actions are complete fail unless they stay faithful to the story andthe story isnt too fictional >.< most sport,jousei LA's tend to be decent xD horrible CG doesnt make a good move people forget this

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Nov 30, 2011 4:51 PM

Jul 2011
well , i think beck live action is pretty good
Nov 30, 2011 5:02 PM

Jul 2010
JBranch said:
leeahseng said:

*sarcasm*

I don't think there was any live action worse than that!!
Back to the topic, now that they know what the people want, will they fix it? I know it's highly unlikely, but hopefully it'll make them be more true to the manga/anime.
Nov 30, 2011 5:20 PM
Feb 2011
SergioSource said:
Worst is when live actions end up being ridiculous by trying to mimic anime specific characteristics :/ For example, myself I couldn't watch Ouran High School live action, all that pinkiness just doesn't match with the live action in my eyes... or Lovely Complex
I actually liked Lovely Complex. The live action worked out as an average love comedy. But for Ouran? The trailer alone was disturbing as it is.
Dec 1, 2011 1:57 AM

Aug 2011
The 35% who are pleased with live adaptions clearly have not seen Dragonball Evolution.
Dec 3, 2011 3:49 AM

Sep 2010
Animated characters and scenes tend to be able to do some really impossible shots. This really sets some scenes. This is the biggest killer for me - there are just some things that actors can't do.

OFC there is a lot of hate for really bad live action adaptations like Dragon Ball.
Dec 3, 2011 4:11 AM

Jul 2008
Some series just don't seem to translate to live action well. For me, I really loved Nodame Cantabile, but the gags at times are off-putting. It ended up being a great series though because the cast was great and because the premise itself worked as live action.

On the other hand, the Honey and Clover movie, which REALLY should have worked as live action ended up sucking because it changed way too many things about the characters. Morita wasn't even remotely like his manga counterpart.

BEGINNER
Dec 3, 2011 6:32 AM

May 2010
I despise live action. The only ones I found decent are Battle Royale, Nodame, and LIFE.
#2 and #1 are both important. I think #1 should be like "Please choose actors/actress with good acting..."
Why hasn't anybody mentioned Bloody Monday? Is it not an adaptation?

After seeing how the casts look like in Dragon Ball's poster I don't bother watching. I don't want to destroy my fantasy...my realm...
petalshredsDec 3, 2011 6:36 AM
Dec 3, 2011 11:17 AM

Oct 2011
Live actions are actually pretty much stupid. Anime should stay anime, manga should stay manga or become anime. The japanese style of art has it's specific norms and characters look different that real people (big eyes, small nose, small mouth, coloured hair). These all aspects would look really stupid on human. For example: light green hair may look very nice in an anime, but look terrifying in real life.
May 10, 2012 4:55 PM
Jun 2011
leeahseng said:

You did actually see DB evolution? Right?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
May 10, 2012 7:15 PM

Jul 2010
i think anime should not be done in a "real-life" kind of version like these movies and dramas, it just doesnt work out

May 10, 2012 7:24 PM

Jan 2010
don't Americanized/Hollywood it.
May 10, 2012 10:05 PM

Feb 2011
Rofl. Gotta love live actions.

The only decent live action I ever saw in my life was Casshern.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
28 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
30 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
52 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.