Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2011 10:44 AM

Jan 2010
tl;dr/no1curr post ahead.

One thing that really annoyed me about the episode was the women and how they were portrayed. I know this is anime and women are most of the time good for either being sexy (for a straight male perspective) and helping a male character in some way. But this is starting to piss me off. Women don't have to wear clothes that show that much skin, and can't imagine the clothes the main girl wore in the episode being very comfortable fighting in (considering the girl looks to be a fighter or agent of some sort). Women don't have to be animated with boobs that jiggle when they get hit by a man. Women don't have to ~moan~ sexily when they get hurt. I mean, everything about the main girl screams "subtle" fanservice. From the way her lips are drawn, to her barely covered boobs, and to her "use me" at the end there.
Idk I read a recent article about female superheroes a few days ago and what was being said in it kind of applies to this show to. And it really annoys the shit out of me.

That being said, I did like the song at the beginning, the art style (the faces mostly) and that guy with the long blonde hair. Plus, it's a 2-cour series (damn there's a lot of them this season), so who knows? It might get better over time. As of now I'm kinda on the fence.
Oct 14, 2011 10:46 AM
Jan 2010
Ghost in the Shell, Macross Frontier, Code Geass and Shining Tears X Wind with bad CGI nah still a good pawn of the Season.
Oct 14, 2011 10:47 AM

Jan 2011
I tried reminding myself not to compare this show with CG but I'm still getting the CG vibes when the troops starts rampaging all around the place killing random people.
At least give us a better male lead lol. I'm already starting to hate him. >.>
Oct 14, 2011 10:51 AM

May 2008
enjoyed this ep...

hope it gets better and doesn't have one of those obvious ending..
Oct 14, 2011 10:55 AM
Jun 2011
so this is ... Code Geass. Without Lelouch. Animation quality is amazing, plot leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, yeah, sure, he might kick ass, but I can just re-watch CG again if I want kick-ass.

@holypoop: If you ever read this... I don't agree with you at all. Yes, sure, she's showing bunches of skin. But her boobs are pretty normal sized if you ask me. I actually like her dress and how it flows, rather than how it shows off skin.
Oct 14, 2011 10:58 AM

Apr 2011
Ok, here is the story: I (production I.G.) wants to make an anime, I want to make it so big and sell a lot. So I uses the prettiest graphic and the highest standard audio and music, but I have no balls to actually starting something new, or a bit radical.

And that is exactly what Guilty Crown like. (Only from the first ep ofc)

So, it was OK for the time being
Oct 14, 2011 11:28 AM

Feb 2010
The autumn season is off with a good start!
Oct 14, 2011 11:31 AM
Sep 2011
Amazing! Love the animation, songs, characters etc. Simply amazing!~ Looking forward to next episode. <3
I'm a hater of every Protagonist in the anime I watch.
Oh God why are they so lame?

Tl;dr I just want to be the main character.
Cause I am perfect. ◕ ‿‿ ◕

by - O*****
Oct 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Jun 2008
Ohh man that was so predictable
Oct 14, 2011 12:14 PM

Apr 2010
The fact that Supercell does some theme song performances makes me very happy. It's going to be a slight emotional trip. I can't wait for the next episode.

Oct 14, 2011 12:26 PM

Dec 2009
After some problems downloading 10-bit releases, i finally watched the episode.
I love the animation, is so damn awesome. This is the type of anime i don't like (with robots and so) + the types of characters i love (hidden and sad past). Oh...
Oct 14, 2011 12:41 PM

Nov 2010
Enjoyable, nice animation. Can't help but feel like something was a little off though. Maybe the whole kinda dark shonen feel.
Oct 14, 2011 12:55 PM

Jul 2011
Actually wasn't expecting anything, good or bad, but was happy with what I saw. For the most part.

The episode itself was really good. A little too cliche to call it great, though. Could be great and hope it is but not there for me yet.

Seemed a little too reminiscent of Code Geass to me. If I want to watch Code Geass I can just go watch that. Hope it does more to set itself apart.

Still, can tell it's the kind of show that a lot of people are going to eat up. Probably will myself. 4/5, 8/10
Oct 14, 2011 1:00 PM

Sep 2007
Was not that bad. :)
Oct 14, 2011 1:09 PM
Mar 2011
Lol breasts that are C+ cups tend to move around a bit...should breasts be outlawed in anime? should they be outlawed in real life? Girls sound...girlish, why are people surprised? Should everyone sound and talk the same in anime? In real life too? Are there no women around where you guys live? Or do they all crossdress and act like men? Or maybe you guys have built in censors, why someone more attractive then you, doesnt appear in your line of vision?
"occasionally, do something unlike yourself shuu!" The point of the first episode is to PURPOSELY PORTRAY a cowardly character that's going to change through his experience that is doing to be shown throughout the REST of the anime.
There are two reasons why they would do this. One, its boring if a character acts and speaks in the same way throughout a story so they show a contrast from beginning to end. Second, its a way to represent the cowardly average person, and the possibility that the average person can also become a hero someday. People who say they hate the main character...well that's like saying they hate themselves... If everyone had superhero-like characteristics, then maybe shows would do the reverse...but that's not the case. I guess the average 13 high school boy would feel like they are god on the internet...and can't seem to understand why anyone would "bow down" to the government.
And seriously people...that's her collarbone. If she didn't have an interdimensional space in there...he would break his hand. Not the breasts..the breastbone. When was the last time you looked at someone in the breast? Stop sweating the small details and just enjoy the story.

Too dark, too much mecha, too much like code geass, too much breasts. Really the only thing this anime has too much of...is HYPE. Cause it's bringing in demographics that it normally wouldn't.
taj69Oct 14, 2011 1:40 PM
Oct 14, 2011 1:11 PM

Aug 2011
i friggin loved the animation of this first episode!!!
totally blew me away tbh!!!
i think the OP will be great, cause everything else is!!!
damn, this and Fate/zero are just toally OMFG/BEST ANIMATION of the YEAR contenders!!
and even though its only a first episode, i think it can contend to be the best this year!! XD
Oct 14, 2011 1:12 PM

Nov 2009
Not as good as i was expecting but the last 6 minutes has convinced to me keep watching D:
Oct 14, 2011 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
i really like the music :)
not only the opening but the soundtracks too (Y)
but he just HAS to extract weapons from her CHEST doesn't he.. >:
Oct 14, 2011 1:20 PM

Aug 2010
OST is amazing.
Gai was pretty cool whilst kicking the shit out of those guys.
But that grabbing weapons from her chest, that's going to bother me.
Oct 14, 2011 1:33 PM

Feb 2008
I.G Does it again. This episode was just way awesome.
Oct 14, 2011 1:41 PM

Sep 2008
It was an interesting 20 mins.
Really top notch animation quality.

As people have previously said, grabbing shit ouf of girls boobies kinda is lame and been done before but we will see how this anime deals with it in the future.

main character. A bit wimpy and dumb ok. but let him develope and mature a bit first before i comment on that
Oct 14, 2011 1:46 PM

May 2008
I'm likin' where this anime is going so far. Things are looking really promising, plus that OST is just pure awesome!
Oct 14, 2011 1:47 PM
Mar 2011
Hey guys I bet I can predict the future...in the next 20 min, I'm not going to go to the bathroom...omg Im clairvoyant. Do you know why all 1st episodes of every anime you watch from now on will be predictable? Cause its 20min...there's only so much that can happen...and if you try be unpredictable, its not going to make sense...like steins gate, Madoka, durarara, and tons of other TOP anime that people drop for the exact reason that you WANT.
Oct 14, 2011 1:55 PM
Jun 2009
I was waiting for something similar to CG but GC is almost a carbon copy. Japanese resistance fighting with mecha based occupant army plus girl who ran from secret lab,carrying supernatural power - is it really so hard to create something original?
Oct 14, 2011 1:58 PM
Mar 2011
Im looking at the comments in Code Geass, and everyone is comparing it...to Death Note. That pretty much answers all my questions, like how people compare their classmates to famous people...I see I never did that...just took people for face value.
Oct 14, 2011 2:02 PM

Jun 2009
Great start to this series. I was expecting a lot from this show and it blew even that outta the water. Definitely sticking with this one. Really liked the music for the show.

Production IG always impresses. Show looks great.
Oct 14, 2011 2:08 PM

Apr 2007
Eh the first episode was ok. I already don't like the main guy, but the music and animation are cool.
Oct 14, 2011 2:47 PM

Mar 2009
Certainly caught my interest, i'll give it a shot.
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Oct 14, 2011 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
I liked it. I thought it was very code geass like though.

Ability of kings? Geass
Japan areas renamed?
Japan is dominated by sovereign power?
Starting off with government massacre? Shinjuku massacre anyone?
Beautiful girl escapes government chase?
Main character uses secret ability at last moment?
Mechas in the same setting?

Very code geass esque, it even has someone who worked on code geass in it's cast!
I'll give it a"5". Similar to some of the 70+ manga ideas I made, I will DEGINITELY watch this with Bokutomo as my fun anime(also extremely good!)
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 14, 2011 3:33 PM

Jul 2011
As everyone else said, it does have a strange resemblance to the first episode of Code Geass. At 8:11, they even show an image of a girl that looks just like C.C., lol.

I enjoyed Code Geass a lot, but in this one the main character isn't quite believable. He goes from some "average Joe" to a superhuman with a massive sword in such a short amount of time. It just seemed a bit far fetch'd.

Also, Gai is such a BA.
Oct 14, 2011 4:10 PM

Oct 2011
I have to say, I don't agree with everyone calling Shu a wimp, or saying he's a bad character. He has issues talking to people, but he's trying not to get in their way, and trying not to cause problems.

Like when he and Inori get attacked in the warehouse, of course he doesn't fight back. A 17-year-old kid against 5 trained, armed soldiers, each with an assault rifle? Even if I loved the girl, I wouldn't try saving her there, just to get shot down in about .5 seconds, and of course I'd be scared shitless.

He goes on to regret it, and decides to do something unlike his old self, get involved.

He calls it his last chance, and I think it really adds to the character. He's fed up of being useless, he wants to do something about himself, he wants to change.

Once he gets the power, you can still tell he's not suddenly Bad-ass. Even when he first blocks the missiles, he shows the very human reaction of looking behind him and asking himself: "Did I really f*cking do that..!?". Once he sees it charging at him, he feels powerful after what he did, and takes a chance. I'm pretty sure, that judging by the look on his face when he does it, as well as his face after (just before the ED), he's still asking himself: "How the f*ck did I just do that...".

I have to say, if I was him, I probably would have done everything he did.
BRSxIgnitionOct 14, 2011 4:48 PM
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Oct 14, 2011 4:42 PM
Apr 2011
can i just say shit just got real lol. that was fucking incredible with the art, music and what looks like an amazing story! so far this is the anime ive been looking for for awhile. this and shakugan no shana r going to keep me interested and screaming "oh no he didnt, that was fucking sweet!" for a long time. cant wait till the next episode and one more thing, the music throughout the anime is what made this go from great to WTF awesomeness. the heavy metal (i guess?) in the fight scenes increased the intensity 10 times. just totally fucking sweet.
Oct 14, 2011 4:54 PM

Jul 2011
Aleka said:

Yes! o.o

What I like about this anime so far:
1. The animation (SO FKING AWESOME)
2. Her singing voice
3. Background music (EPIC)
4. Gai
5. The special effects

That was epic. O.o
Oct 14, 2011 5:42 PM

Oct 2010
Aleka said:
Same here that is the second time I see it and it still bothers me.

The weapon being too much also bothers me but there will be more that can of better proportion and not huge.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 14, 2011 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Yumekichi11 said:
Aleka said:But that grabbing weapons from her chest, that's going to bother me.
Oct 14, 2011 5:52 PM

Jun 2011
Aleka said:OST is amazing.
Revenant_Oct 14, 2011 5:55 PM
Oct 14, 2011 5:55 PM
Oct 2011
1/5

Robots look lame as hell. They aren't as good as Evangelion's

Characters are generic, and aren't half as good as Evangelion's.

Deus Ex Machina at the end, are they even trying?

This won't be a classic masterpiece like Neon Genesis Evangelion (greatest anime ever). It won't even be as good as CODE GEASS which says something.

Will drop if doesn't improve.
Oct 14, 2011 5:58 PM

Oct 2011
ProAnimeCritic said:
1/5
This won't be a classic masterpiece like Neon Genesis Evangelion (greatest anime ever). It won't even be as good as CODE GEASS which says something.

Like someone said before, go ahead and drop. One less person whining on the forums. Also, if you want to go praise Evangelion, go do that in it's forum.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
Oct 14, 2011 7:26 PM
Mar 2011
ProAnimeCritic said:
1/5

Lol, you'll drop it if it isn't a classic master piece? lolwut
Oct 14, 2011 7:34 PM

Jul 2010
ProAnimeCritic said:
1/5

OH EVANGELION..It was this shitty anime.I didn't even add it to my list, because it was so lame.
Oct 14, 2011 7:35 PM

Apr 2009
ProAnimeCritic said:
1/5
there are no robots in Evangelion (coz you know what they really are)..
Evangelion did use some generic characters, or at least established a template for some..
Evangelion had even more f*cked up Deus Ex Machina everywhere..
NGE is a classic masterpiece, but certainly not the greatest (I mean, anyone can argue that ep.25-26 kinda destroyed the show a bit)..
no one can predict if the Code Geass writers can outdo themselves with their new title..
actually, just drop it..

BRSxIgnition said:
I have to say, I don't agree with everyone calling Shu a wimp, or saying he's a bad character. He has issues talking to people, but he's trying not to get in their way, and trying not to cause problems.
Like when he and Inori get attacked in the warehouse, of course he doesn't fight back. A 17-year-old kid against 5 trained, armed soldiers, each with an assault rifle? Even if I loved the girl, I wouldn't try saving her there, just to get shot down in about .5 seconds, and of course I'd be scared shitless.
He goes on to regret it, and decides to do something unlike his old self, get involved.
He calls it his last chance, and I think it really adds to the character. He's fed up of being useless, he wants to do something about himself, he wants to change.
Once he gets the power, you can still tell he's not suddenly Bad-ass. Even when he first blocks the missiles, he shows the very human reaction of looking behind him and asking himself: "Did I really f*cking do that..!?". Once he sees it charging at him, he feels powerful after what he did, and takes a chance. I'm pretty sure, that judging by the look on his face when he does it, as well as his face after (just before the ED), he's still asking himself: "How the f*ck did I just do that...".
I have to say, if I was him, I probably would have done everything he did.
this is actually how i'm seeing it, too.. it doesn't take a short while to get open-minded..
Oct 14, 2011 7:51 PM

Feb 2011
Don't be atupid, people - Shu is no Shinji.
People die when they are killed, after all.

This was an awesome episode, don't try to deny that.
Oct 14, 2011 8:18 PM

Apr 2010
It was awesome. 'nuff said.
Oct 14, 2011 8:22 PM

Dec 2009
It was ok for me. Didn't like how Shu started running to save Inori without having a plan in mind, it was like suicide. Quite convenient he had that chemical that gave him the Guilty Crown.

Overall, I liked the animation and fell in love with the music, especially the one when Gui fights and Shu uses his powers. Those songs were badass.
Oct 14, 2011 8:47 PM

Jun 2009
*Sigh* at the completely stupid NGE comparisons. Really people?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 14, 2011 9:04 PM

Mar 2011
Downside: totally cliche & predictable events + characters (which I already expected from reading the description). Still I didn't expect to dislike the protagonist this much.

Upside: Production value. GREAT animation + music + character designs (Inori is gorgeous although she kinda looks like Sheryl rip-off)
Oct 14, 2011 9:11 PM

Sep 2010
Nice, but I expected a lot from this episode. Well at lease there is 22 episodes.
Oct 14, 2011 9:12 PM
Feb 2009
I like the part when he sticks his hand in her chest.
Oct 14, 2011 9:26 PM

Mar 2009
Wow 13 pages? This turned out to be more popular than I thought it would be.

To me the episode was a roller coaster ride. I skipped from "Hm, this will be interesting" from "No, It won't" more times than I would like. The episode only picked up at the second half.

I'll be checking this out, an anime where giant robots are destroyed by a guy wielding a great sword can't be that bad! Lol >.> At least I hope not...

Oct 14, 2011 9:39 PM

Oct 2011
Someone over at ANN took snapshots of Shu's visions when he got his power, here are the images.

All I know is that it looks like this anime is much deeper than we thought at first glance.

guiltycrownfbg3.jpg
It looks like a younger Inori, and those lights and the setting definitely give off a Christmas feeling.

guiltycrownfbb5.jpg
Another boy, possibly Gai when he was younger, but something doesn't feel right.

guiltycrownfbcrash.jpg
Seems like a crashed plane, or fallen tower. Can't really make it out.

guiltycrownfbdate3.jpg
Easily visible here are the numbers "6625", we aren't sure what they represent.

guiltycrownfbdate2.jpg
I will give a cookie to whomever can figure out what this says, the original screenshotter couldn't find a clear frame for these.

guiltycrownfbb4.jpg
A boy standing at a hole in a bridge. It gives off the feeling that it's his fault. I have a feeling it might be Shu, but that's just a guess.

guiltycrownpshusmom.jpg
Not in the vision, but apparently that character is the one accompanying the scientists in the GHQ scene. People think it might be Shu's mother, who we see in the vision.

guiltycrownfbb3.jpg
Shu and his mom celebrating what seems to be his fourth birthday. (If candles can be trusted.)

guiltycrownfbb2.jpg
Young Gai, it seems. He was a lot less bad ass then, but what is he doing in Shu's vision?

guiltycrownfbdate.jpg
What is the date "December 23, 1978" supposed to mean, what happened then?

guiltycrownfbhs.jpg
One of the scientists again.

guiltycrownfbg2.jpg
This woman gives me the sense of an older Inori, but the crystals look like they're growing out of her. They seem like the crystals that form the weapons when Shu uses his power.

guiltycrownfbw1.jpg
Seems like a young Inori, what does this mean? It looks like the same string she used in front of Shu as well.

guiltycrownfbb1.jpg
Dead boy, it's unknown who he is at the moment, or if he's important at all.

guiltycrownfbg1.jpg
Seems like Inori, or at least a girl that looks like her, in a lot of pain. The crystals resemble the Guilty Crown crystals again.

So, what are your thoughts on all of this?
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Pissed me off

rishamr - Apr 15

40 by kyouya_akai »»
Apr 21, 3:48 AM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ChronosXIII - Oct 16, 2011

384 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 8:36 PM

» Guilty Crown Ending Explanation/Interpretation ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xspy70 - Jul 21, 2015

179 by immaluckez »»
Mar 15, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

332 by BrandonKnapp20 »»
Feb 28, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 1, 2011

394 by Starbraker61 »»
Feb 25, 2:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.