Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2008 11:03 AM

Jul 2008
Look, I think that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest things to ever hit the anime scene. In fact, I wish that every anime movie was this good. Alas, they aren't. Personally, I think that this is the singlemost greatest anime movie on the face of the planet. (Yes, I like it even more than Akira and Ghost in the Shell.)

Does anyone else agree with me or am I alone in my opinion?
Jul 24, 2008 12:12 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I rated it a 9, but I have a few movies I rated a 10. Mononoke Hime is definitely a very great movie and I've already seen it a couple of times but I think there are some movies that are a tiny bit better.

[edit]: Paprika and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo are actually the only movies I've given a 10.
cyruzJul 24, 2008 12:15 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 26, 2008 5:55 AM

Aug 2007
I found Princess Mononoke absolutely stunning, its value was apparent to me even when I watched it as a child. I have since rewatched it many times and I never get bored of it. I also liked Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, but I found that Princess Mononoke beat it with its fair amount of action and fights. I think this is indeed my favourite anime movie thus far, with Howl's Moving Castle and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo coming close.
Jul 27, 2008 6:58 PM

Jul 2008
I'm glad that someone else likes Princess Mononoke as much as me. I might be a bit biased because this movie started getting me to see the more hardcore side of anime. I hate to admit it but at the time I saw this movie I was a diehard DBZ fan and ... a pretty big Sailor Moon fan. (Hey, we were all young once.) Anyway, it still holds the number one spot in my heart.
Jul 27, 2008 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
I do love Mononoke Hime. It's Ghibli's second best work, as far as I'm concerned. However I think there are better than Ghibli. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo was excellent, and Kara no Kyoukai are stunning 'movies' (I'm not terribly fond of calling them movies given they're not even an hour each, but... well, still incredible).

By all means Mononoke Hime is a fantastic movie, but there's better. I do think it's a bit of a shame people (as a whole, not specifically targeting anyone) view Ghibli as the pinnacle of anime movies without even considering others out there. It's a Ghibli title, so it's superior. Much like people still saying Eva/Bebop/Trigun are the best series ever; primarily because they're the first things people have been exposed to. The cherry poppers will always have a bias leaning in people's minds.
Jul 27, 2008 7:28 PM

May 2008
It's a very good movie, but it's not even in my Top 5

Try Mind Game and some Satoshi Kon films.
Jul 28, 2008 12:24 PM

Jul 2008
On a whole I don't really love Studio Ghibli movies, I just love Mononoke and Nausicaa. Besides that ... not really. And I do agree that there are other great movies out there such as GITS, Megazone 23, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Jin-Roh. (I'm also partial to Ninja Scroll though many would disagree with me there.)

But to me Princess Mononoke just stands out, it has spectacular music, (some of the best anime music I've ever heard right up there with Wolf's Rain.) good plot, great dubbing, excellent character design, wonderful direction, overall it's just a masterful film.
Jul 30, 2008 10:14 AM

Jul 2008
I'd call it the best, or anyway my favorite, film I've ever seen (animated or otherwise) outside of Makhmalbaf's 'Nun va Goldoon', which no one ever watches.
Aug 5, 2008 1:06 PM

Feb 2008
i dunno, spirited away was a notch higher than this one. its kinda hard to compare two excellent works like this. i supose thats a testament to miyazaki's greatness. Mononoke was the first of Miyazaki that i watched with any sirious intent. there was kiki's delivery service but thats on a league of its own lol.
Sep 11, 2008 3:49 PM

May 2008
i liked princess mononoke because none of its characters are 100% good or evil. they are real people, they want what they want, and sometimes go about getting it the wrong way. they story blew me away.

Sep 24, 2008 10:40 AM
Mar 2008
I think I slightly prefer Spirited Away, but it is soo close :]

I agree, most people (myself included) just see "Ghibli" and assume it's the best; I'm gonna try to watch some non-Ghibli anime movies so that I can have a fairer opinion ^^
Sep 24, 2008 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
So true, Ashgary. So very true. One of the reasons why I loved it too. Though I must say, Ghibli makes very high quality moives compared to many other studios besides maybe Production I.G.
Jun 2, 2009 7:28 PM

May 2009
the ending made me my personal favorite.
and made me feel it was the personal best ever.
but hence, i need to see more anime movies.
Apr 13, 2010 7:27 AM

Jun 2009
Well, tomorrow I gave it the second place among the best anime movies. Action speaks for itself.
Apr 13, 2010 7:34 AM

Mar 2009
Out of all Ghibli movies, I liked Nausicaa better.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
May 15, 2010 9:53 PM

May 2010
Castle in the Sky is good. I think Samurai X Trust and Betrayal is a movie in the Japanese version, and I say it is on par with this movie
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 18, 2010 8:24 AM

Feb 2010
try to see summer wars :)
May 31, 2010 7:34 PM

Dec 2007
Yes!
Nov 2, 2011 6:24 PM
Feb 2011
Princess Mononoke is my 3rd favorite Ghibli film, and my favorite Miyazaki film without a doubt. Favorite would probably be Only Yesterday followed by Grave of the Fireflies for just being absolutely perfect. But seriously Mononoke is totally epic.
Nov 2, 2011 6:28 PM

Sep 2011
i think sword of the stranger and spirited away are better but it gets a well deserved 3rd place spot

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 2, 2011 6:29 PM
Mar 2011
this thread fails the two MSC movies are better than this film by far and i love this movie but its just no were neere even ghibils best or even miyazki best Kaze no tani is better and is round 4 th or ven as low as 6th on ghibil movie list
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 2, 2011 10:47 PM

Oct 2011
I did enjoy Princess Mononoke, but I watched all the ghibli films pretty much in one go, and it didn't exactly stand out among them.

Presonally, I much prefer spirited away, and it's my favorite movie of all time.
Nov 3, 2011 12:29 PM
Feb 2011
Akai-Ryuusei said:
this thread fails the two MSC movies are better than this film by far and i love this movie but its just no were neere even ghibils best or even miyazki best Kaze no tani is better and is round 4 th or ven as low as 6th on ghibil movie list

The Nausicaa movie was bad. I'll say it. It's just acceptable on its own, but it can't even be compared to it's manga counterpart. I have it quite low on my list of Miyazaki's films. (And Kaze no Tani wasn't Ghibli)
Nov 3, 2011 1:03 PM

Feb 2009
Personally I prefer Sword of the Stranger, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and a few others, but it was okay.
Dec 1, 2011 7:15 AM
Dec 2007
Mononoke is probably the best animated movie ever made, indeed. Miyazaki himself wouldn't agree to that though because he hates the movie and considers it doesn't reflect what he wanted to convey (plus he's a humble guy and would probably cite "Le Roi et l'Oiseau" or a Youri Norstein movie as his favourite). On the other hand, the film became much more than what it was supposed to be with the involvement of Toshio Suzuki as a very active producer (especially regarding the scipt - and don't forget that he chose the title of the movie, Miyazaki wanted to call it "The Legend of Ashitaka" -), the animation directors Masashi Ando & Yoshifumi Kondo's last contribution just before his death and of course Joe Hisaishi who almost wrote the ending of the movie against Miyazaki's will (in Miyazaki's ending, Lady Eboshi was supposed to die and San to live with the humans). On the whole though, the movie is much better than any other directed by Miyazaki and represents the very best of what modern Japanese cinema can offer.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 9, 2013 10:18 AM
Sep 2011
It's my personal best anime movie, among those that I have seen : Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, the first 3 movies of Kara no Kyoukai, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf Children, Hi no Tori movies, Mind Game, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Sword of a Stranger, Summer Wars, 5 centimeters per second, The Garden of Words. I think it is objectively superior among these movies. The best from these are, by a huge margin, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, 5 centimeteres and Mind Game ,with the others remaining being plainly fine and mediocre, and Princess Mononoke is 2 levels higher than these 3, in imagination and execution. It's a dark and tense tale, on a enchanting world, with very-appealing characters and a definite and concrete plot. It's a near-perfect movie.

* I think that Spirited Away is waaaaay too overrated. It is different and fine, but it is incosistent at the end, and the plot is formed by a chain of random events. So, there's no way that's better than Princess Mononoke.

* I have yet to see Nausicaa, Laputa and Ghost in the shell. I think these are the only three movies that can surpass Princess Mononoke. All the other seem life-less and boring compared to it.
Feb 1, 2014 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
My top 5 movie list.
1.Akira
2.Grave of the fireflies
3.Princess Mononoke
4.The girl who leapt through time
5.Spirited away

Mar 8, 2014 2:30 AM

Mar 2013
You're joking, right? I don't watch that many anime movies and I still have 20 on my list with a higher rating. The main characters were lacklustre, the end was disappointing and it just wasn't that interesting.
Mar 8, 2014 2:36 AM

Mar 2014
It one of the few Ghibli films I can re watch over again, and not get a little sleepy half way through it. It definitely the more violent out of the films. If I was comparing it to other ghibil films it would be near the top 3. but to other anime movies I don't know I may have to reserved that for the hilarious disappointing Blue Flames.
Going to take me a couple of days to come up with a sig, as worthy as my last one.
Mar 8, 2014 8:31 AM
Jun 2009
This is my alltime favorite movie. Nobody Knows Your Heart is also my favorite song. I find myself singing it nearly every day
Mar 8, 2014 8:38 AM

Sep 2011
wait someone necroed a necroed thread?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 25, 2016 7:23 AM

Feb 2015
from all of Ghibli's movies...no...From all of Anime movies it's still the best one I've ever seen in my life!...
(the nearest one to it was The wind Rises(Kaze Tanichuu))
May 28, 2016 8:49 AM
Mar 2016
My top 5 favourite anime films:
1. The End of Evangelion
2. the Madoka Magica movie trilogy
3. Akira
4. Macross: Do You Remember Love?
5. Patlabor 1 & 2/Ghost in the Shell (tie)
No Ghibli. I'm not anything close to being a fan of Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli, and I think all Studio Ghibli films I've watched so far are overrated. Studio Ghibli is Japan's equivalent of The Walt Disney Company in terms of the kind of animated films both of them do: family-friendly summer movies with huge budgets and simple, yet somewhat "meaningful" plots that are hailed by normies as masterpieces. I think I might just watch Totoro or Laputa tomorrow just for the sake of adding something as my hundredth completed entry on my list, and then rating it a 1/10 just for teh lulz.
Dec 23, 2022 7:00 PM
Dec 2021
I cried for the first time in years booze
Dec 23, 2022 7:21 PM

Sep 2020
Just a piece of pretentious drivel made by Miyazaki; he should just simply crawl out from under a car port and wither out in the sun like the miserable earthworm that he is.
Dec 23, 2022 7:29 PM

Apr 2020
AwokenStroken said:
Just a piece of pretentious drivel made by Miyazaki; he should just simply crawl out from under a car port and wither out in the sun like the miserable earthworm that he is.

If I was to make a parody of the angry Internet guy, I couldn't do a better Job than you just did with that xD
People like you actually exist xD... Amazing to me. You're like an alive caricature
Props^^

I hope Miyazaki did apologize for whatever harm he caused you, my dude xD.... Seems to me like he did something horrible to you.

Oh wait....he doesn't know you're existing .... Nevermind.
Dec 23, 2022 7:36 PM

Sep 2020
Merve2Love said:
AwokenStroken said:

If I was to make a parody of the angry Internet guy, I couldn't do a better Job than you just did with that xD
People like you actually exist xD... Amazing to me. You're like an alive caricature
Props^^

I hope Miyazaki did apologize for whatever harm he caused you, my dude xD.... Seems to me like he did something horrible to you.

Why'd you assume I wasn't doing a parody lol? 
Like idk u just point out the possibility but the rest of the message is as if you assume it's not one.
Dec 23, 2022 7:41 PM

Apr 2020
AwokenStroken said:
Merve2Love said:

Props^^

Like idk u just point out the possibility but the rest of the message is as if you assume it's not one.

Psssht, it's alright now^^

Miyazaki can't hurt you now. Calm down .The evil man won't do another Mononoke :D
Dec 23, 2022 7:42 PM

Sep 2020
Merve2Love said:
AwokenStroken said:

Psssht, it's alright now^^

Miyazaki can't hurt you now. Calm down .The evil man won't do another Mononoke :D
" The evil man won't do another Mononoke"
Best news I've heard all god. damn. week.
Dec 30, 2022 2:59 AM

Dec 2020
OKAY . That was a great joke . Mononoke is truly the goat . Studio Ghibli goat .

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Hime Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Metty - Feb 4, 2008

209 by Kilo_2K4 »»
Mar 31, 8:11 PM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

75 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.