Forum Settings
Forums

Animator Suzuki Shunji Discloses Sales Failure of Nichijou

New
Oct 1, 2011 10:34 AM

Feb 2008
Animator Suzuki Shunji (the general animation director of "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone") posted on his twitter that the sales of Kadokawa's anime titles in this spring and summer were terrible. He attended a private meeting of people in the anime industry and heard that Nichijou was far from break-even point as well as R-15 and Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi. He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost.

Source: Suzuki's tweet
NaruleachOct 1, 2011 4:36 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2011 10:38 AM

Apr 2010
Nichijou wasn't that bad!

Oct 1, 2011 10:38 AM

Dec 2009
Sucks that it didn't sell that well, great show too.
Oct 1, 2011 10:39 AM

Sep 2008
Little Busters! anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2011 10:39 AM

Jul 2010
lol, R-15.

Nichijou is funny as hell though! That is very sad. =(

EDIT: Still gotta get around to watching it, but the scenes I saw were hilarious.
OnyxthegreatOct 2, 2011 9:30 AM

Oct 1, 2011 10:40 AM

Mar 2010
Damn it Nichijou was my favourite season of this year =___=, maaaan thats so crap, maybe cuz anime costs so frekin much to buy when you can just dl it most of the time
Oct 1, 2011 10:40 AM

Sep 2010
That's completely not okay. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed Nichijou lots, I've only seen very positive responses to it. I totally didn't expect a KyoAni show to have such low sales that they even not reach to break-even point.

Maybe KyoAni fans are boycotting them because they want them to create more serious shows...

Jryou said:
Damn it Nichijou was my favourite season of this year =___=, maaaan thats so crap, maybe cuz anime costs so frekin much to buy when you can just dl it most of the time
It feels as if it's only getting worse, the dl'ing I mean. The prices are going up, the sales down and the dl's up.
Oct 1, 2011 10:41 AM

Jun 2011
Nichijou wasn't all that great, but it's a shame that it seemed to have failed in sales. The show doesn't really deserve that.
Oct 1, 2011 10:42 AM

Jun 2008
That's pretty lame news. Nichijou was probably my favourite show of this year.

Guess the dream of a season 2 isn't happening.
Oct 1, 2011 10:42 AM

Apr 2010
Ovindel said:
That's completely not okay. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed Nichijou lots, I've only seen very positive responses to it. I totally didn't expect a KyoAni show to have such low sales that they even not reach to break-even point.

Maybe KyoAni fans are boycotting them because they want them to create more serious shows...

Well it wasn't a moeblob show, which is KyoAnis bread & butter. All this'll teach them is that they dare not try anything other than moeblob shows these days.

Oct 1, 2011 10:46 AM

Aug 2009
KyoAni makes one show that doesn't sell exceptionally great like their previous shows and they've immediately lost their reputation...?
What a retard.
Oct 1, 2011 10:46 AM

Aug 2008
Nichijou in the same news with R-15 and Kuro usagi. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

But really? Nichijou ruined the reputation of KyoAni since they did something after god knows how long that wasn't a total moefagdroolfest? And the moefags got pissed and didn't buy it? Again, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Oct 1, 2011 10:47 AM

Apr 2010
Kvakond said:
Nichijou in the same news with R-15 and Kuro usagi. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.\

Same news since they're all published by the same company.

Oct 1, 2011 10:48 AM

Jan 2010
Nichijou had excellent animation but it felt like a lot of the comedy was forced..even from the different standards of Japanese comedy. It wasn't terrible or anything..but it certainly wasn't excellent either.
Ok™
Oct 1, 2011 10:51 AM

Jul 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Ovindel said:

Well it wasn't a moeblob show, which is KyoAnis bread & butter. All this'll teach them is that they dare not try anything other than moeblob shows these days.

This

and

Kvakond said:
Nichijou in the same news with R-15 and Kuro usagi. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

But really? Nichijou ruined the reputation of KyoAni since they did something after god knows how long that wasn't a total moefagdroolfest? And the moefags got pissed and didn't buy it? Again, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

This.

Respect for the studio for trying something different.

And yet another case of loosing faith in humanity for the backslash the so called fans delivered through sales.
Oct 1, 2011 11:01 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
People on this planet... SMH.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 1, 2011 11:02 AM

Jul 2010
I'm surprised to hear this considering how much MAL drooled over it.
Oct 1, 2011 11:03 AM
Sep 2009
Well that's too bad. Nichijou is a great show and did nothing but bolster their reputation imo. The otakufags are just pissed they didnt do another Key show.
Oct 1, 2011 11:03 AM

Jan 2008
I'm impressed.

Even when being not so moe made the characters in Nichijou not so "likeable" as with the other KyoAni shows, Nichijou is way better in terms of entertainment than Lucky Star and even K-on!.

I haven't laughed so much with any other show since Azumanga Daioh (and maybe I like Nichijou more!)... So I really don't understand why... I want to hear a response from KyoAni.

Also, I don't think their reputation is lost: if they want, they just have to do Little Busters xD
Oct 1, 2011 11:06 AM

May 2010
The show doesn't deserve such failure.

"KyoAni's reputation is lost." lolwut??
Oct 1, 2011 11:08 AM

Jan 2010
"He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost."
lmfao, I can't. One anime ruins the entire reputation of a studio? Are you fucking kidding with me? Okay, so an actor stars in a shitty movie, does that actor suddenly lose all credit as an actor? Would a game developer studio lose their entire reputation if they made one shitty/underrated/under-appreciated game? Would a musician lose all their fans if they made one shitty album or song? No.
Jesus fuck with the drama, I get that the business is tough or whatever but chill.

Nichijou wasn't even that bad from what I saw, which wasn't a lot.
Oct 1, 2011 11:08 AM

Sep 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Ovindel said:

That's true, sadly enough. I liked Nichijou more than K-ON I think. K-ON was not really a problem for at least me, but I would like something completely different too.
You know, there's something I still don't get. Why is K-ON hated so much even though it's loved by so many people? I mean, the sales were high, there's a huge fanbase, etc. I don't really get it.
Oct 1, 2011 11:10 AM

Jul 2010
Ovindel said:
RyanSaotome said:
Ovindel said:

That's true, sadly enough. I liked Nichijou more than K-ON I think. K-ON was not really a problem for at least me, but I would like something completely different too.
You know, there's something I still don't get. Why is K-ON hated so much even though it's loved by so many people? I mean, the sales were high, there's a huge fanbase, etc. I don't really get it.

Anything popular will be passionately hated by a segment of the population. This is the common thread that links shounen anime with harem anime with moe anime, with shoujo anime, ect. ect.
Oct 1, 2011 11:10 AM
Dec 2008
Well two of these shows are just terrible.
Oct 1, 2011 11:11 AM

Apr 2011
Well the sales price of anime dvds are quite expensive...
colemanH.png colemanh-1.png
Oct 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Jan 2008
i wasn't very fond of the last KyoAni Shows either. A new season of Full Metal Panic would have been much better :'(
Oct 1, 2011 11:14 AM

Aug 2010
Yeah if they didn't charge so much for two episode sets then maybe they would get more sales. Put on the other hand, the anime piracy has no excuse in Japan especially when they can watch it on TV. I really wish more fans would buy it, but at the same time it's price is ridiculous.
Oct 1, 2011 11:16 AM

Aug 2010
Nichijou has been one of the best so far this year though. that's very surprising to hear.
Oct 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Apr 2010
Homestuck said:
I'm surprised to hear this considering how much MAL drooled over it.

What MAL like doesn't mean much. They drooled over Deadman Wonderland for instance, and it was the worst selling show of its season in Japan.

Oct 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Jan 2011
One of the better shows to come out this year imo. :/
Oct 1, 2011 11:18 AM
Mar 2011
i was right
kyoani will need to be brought out like sunrise was in the mid 90's heres comes bandai to save the day
maybe not today this year or ext year but one day
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 1, 2011 11:20 AM

Sep 2011
That's a huge disappointment, considering Nichijou is one of my favourites from the last season(s).

It's popularity wasn't a lie; Nichijou was extremely popular on NicoNico. It regularly gets 300k+ viewers on the streams.

It's just Kadokawa charges extreme crazy per prices for the DVD's, with only like 2 episodes per DVD's.

This isn't even talking about the prices of the Blu-Rays yet.
Oct 1, 2011 11:20 AM

Nov 2008
Nichijou deserved 5000 sales at least, it was a good anime. R-15 would have been good if the censors were reduced, Itsuka Tenma was doomed to fail before it even aired.

Oct 1, 2011 11:22 AM

Apr 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Nichijou wasn't that bad!
Ik! nichijou is like sooo funny now! D:
Oct 1, 2011 11:24 AM

Nov 2008
aTachibana7 said:

It's just Kadokawa charges extreme crazy per prices for the DVD's, with only like 2 episodes per DVD's.

Yeah I believe this is a good reason but it could be worse, just see what Aniplex is charging for Idolm@ster BDs.

Oct 1, 2011 11:28 AM

Aug 2010
aTachibana7 said:
That's a huge disappointment, considering Nichijou is one of my favourites from the last season(s).

It's popularity wasn't a lie; Nichijou was extremely popular on NicoNico. It regularly gets 300k+ viewers on the streams.

Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho? I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.
Oct 1, 2011 11:28 AM

Apr 2010
GaZsTiC said:
The people on the first page are acting like idiots.

The reason Nichijou didn't sell well is because it was the most expensive television anime of the year, other than Gosick.

It costs something like 1000 dollars for all 26 episodes, if my memory serves well.

That doesn't really mean that much... if its something people want to buy, they'll buy it regardless. IIRC, this is the same price as all other recent KyoAni anime, and they all sold among the best. Its just that Nichijou didn't appeal as much to the Otaku.

Oct 1, 2011 11:30 AM

Sep 2008
So a great show happens to have low sales and now KyoAni is considered trash in the anime industry?

I don't get it.
Oct 1, 2011 11:31 AM

Feb 2008
come on people what MAL people think of a show is not reflective of how things are in JP. a lot of industries are having to rethink their methods and tactics. anime should do the same or they will run the risk of turning Hollywood and recycling all kind of shit.
Oct 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Aug 2009
GaZsTiC said:
The people on the first page are acting like idiots.

The reason Nichijou didn't sell well is because it was the most expensive television anime of the year, other than Gosick.

It costs something like 1000 dollars for all 26 episodes, if my memory serves well.

Newsflash, every single anime in Japan is incredibly expensive.
Oct 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Aug 2010
GaZsTiC said:
jakeisquite said:
Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho?

No...

NicoNico is a Japanese streaming site which is kind of like a combination of Youtube and Crunchyroll. There is an English version of the site which also streams anime, but it is still in its beta.
oh, well thanks for correcting me. looks like i fail a bit then....
Oct 1, 2011 11:38 AM

Sep 2011
jakeisquite said:
aTachibana7 said:

Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho? I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.

No, Nico Nico Douga is a japanese website. These were the numbers of Japanese viewers on almost every episode on average, if I remember correctly. This was a live broadcast, which is essentially like them watching TV.

IS was popular because it was a harem show with lots and lots of girls. Japan simply loves that kind of stuff, so it was obvious it was going to sell well. It's why for quite a few seasons, some shows that the western audience may not like, but ends up selling like hotcakes in Japan.
Oct 1, 2011 11:38 AM

Apr 2010
GaZsTiC said:
RyanSaotome said:
IIRC, this is the same price as all other recent KyoAni anime

No it isn't. It is significantly more expensive, as are other Kadokawa DVD/BDs.

Oh my bad, I thought that Kadokawa typically published the KyoAni stuff. Guess I was wrong.

Oct 1, 2011 11:41 AM

Nov 2008
not surprised i knew the sucked that's why i didn't even bother watching any of them to begin with.
Oct 1, 2011 11:41 AM

Jan 2008
I hate how "reputation" depends on sales. Stupid capitalism that distract our attention from the art part of a work...

Also, doesn't in Japan the TV rating affect how well an anime is going? I always hear the likeness of a next season (for example) is based on DVD/BD sales ._.
Oct 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
jmal said:
Hoppy said:
just see what Aniplex is charging for Idolm@ster BDs.

Well that's a bit different. Their normal non-bundle LE BDs are a bit expensive but overall standard priced at ¥8,190 msrp for Vols. 2-9 and ¥7,140 for Vol. 1. And 9 discs for two cour is fairly standard, certainly less than Nichijou's 13.

Kadokawa's prices definitely are the worst in the business, an Nichijou isn't even as bad as they get (see Gosick...). But I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. R-15 will sell a couple thousand (standard) and Itsuka Tenma will sell less, but so do plenty of other shows.

Sounds like Suzuki just has a bone to pick with Kadokawa, honestly.

Ew 13 vols, that makes things worse, just why do that when you can do 9. I feel sorry for Nekogami, it just sold like shit. Gosick was ridiculous, good thing that got licensed.

Oct 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Apr 2010
r15 and dark rabbit sucked....

Nichijou however was awesome.. i would have that they would have done realy well

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Oct 1, 2011 11:43 AM

Aug 2009
GaZsTiC said:
STM said:
Newsflash, every single anime in Japan is incredibly expensive.

Newsflash, Nichijou was more incredibly expensive than every other title, other than Gosick. Most TV anime cost between 200-400 dollars to purchase all the episodes. Nichijou and Gosick cost between 1000-1500.

Nichijou's recommended price per volume is 7980 yen, which isn't that much more than any other anime volumes that contain 2 episodes. Most 2 episode volumes are 7000 - 8000 yen, and 3 episode volumes are 8000-9000 yen. This might've influenced Nichijou's sales in the slightest, but it definitely isn't the cause of it bombing in Japan.
And a regular anime definitely doesn't cost around 200-400 dollars to purchase, it's easily 400+.
Oct 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Nov 2008
kirby said:
I hate how "reputation" depends on sales. Stupid capitalism that distract our attention from the art part of a work...

Also, doesn't in Japan the TV rating affect how well an anime is going? I always hear the likeness of a next season (for example) is based on DVD/BD sales ._.

TV rating on otaku-o-clock anime doesn't really matter as much if at all as BD/DVD sales, because those anime are a sort of infomercial for people to buy the discs after it's finished.

Oct 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Apr 2010
kirby said:

Late night anime typically airs between midnight and 3 am, and they have to buy the timeslots to air it (like an infomercial). Ratings really mean nothing for them, since they are just buying an advertisement slot so they can sell the DVD/BD of it later. Only long running shonen and kids anime really air during the day where ratings matter.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Mcxgamecaster_YT »»
41 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

19 by BirdyTheMighty »»
2 hours ago

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
6 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
9 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.