Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 1, 2009 3:07 PM

Oct 2009
Yeah the quoted text came off as pretentious, and the scenario of a palatial town full of highly advanced, autonomous machinery seemed stupid but the episode was surprisingly good. We can control our behavior towards each others with politeness, by choosing our words carefully, etc, but nobody can control their thoughts. It really would be a disaster if everyone knew what everyone else was thinking.
Dec 1, 2009 5:21 PM

Jul 2008
I ignore the quotes. It tries to make itself deeper than it really is. If you watch it by just getting the drift of what's going on, it makes it DEEP.
Jan 23, 2010 10:33 PM

Dec 2009
This show is deep and meaningful im re-watching still awe as if my 1st time watching it
Apr 25, 2010 9:02 PM

Mar 2010
It was okay I guess.
A lil' too slow for me.
May 3, 2010 6:39 PM

Feb 2010
Oh, great first episode, loved it! Looking forward to more of it :)

and

Cebola92 said:

And what? Kino is a girl? O.o
I probably regret this post by now.
May 27, 2010 9:30 PM
Apr 2010
I truly enjoyed this episode, it was very philosophical. Reminds me of Jing: King of Bandits.
Jun 2, 2010 1:10 PM

Jan 2010
wow this was an amazing first episode!
i loved the drama,it was so sad when that guy asked kino to stay a bit more :(,god damn scientists playing with the human mind

anyway,i loved the OP and especially the ED!

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 11, 2010 5:26 PM

Aug 2008
oh, this changes how I always perceiving things in the world :O

pretty good serie, I think I can learn a lot :)
Jul 13, 2010 5:07 AM
Feb 2009
I shouldn't expect less from the director of Serial Experiments Lain.

It was a brilliant episode, and I liked the text on the screen, it punctuated the importance and thoughts of the characters to get the point across of it's own importance.

The ending was beautiful.

EDIT: I was also reminded of King of Bandit's Jing
Sep 8, 2010 10:37 PM

Apr 2009
Depthless and bland. The most amazing thing about this episode was how amazingly stupid everyone in the country/town had to be to think it was a good idea. Maybe my expectations for this show were off - I expected something like Mushishi or Mononoke.
Nov 22, 2010 9:37 PM

Dec 2009
Great episode.
Although this show seems to move slow, I think its a good pace. It lets it get into detail with everything.
Jan 1, 2011 5:00 PM
Jun 2008
Reminded me slightly of the final part of Stanisław Lem's "Altruizyna, czyli Opowieść prawdziwa o tym, jak pustelnik Dobrycy Kosmos uszczęśliwić zapragnął i co z tego wynikło". There were people (and animals) who started feeling for each other because of some drug, not reading thoughts - but nothing good came out of it too)
Mar 7, 2011 6:22 AM

Jun 2009
Great first episode. The pacing may be slow, but it’s fitting for this kind of setting. The music is lovely, yet I don’t know if I like more the OP or ED…

Fortunately, the quotes in screen didn’t strike me as pretentious; sure, it felt a little unneeded but there didn’t spoil anything for me.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Aug 3, 2011 7:53 AM

May 2010
So what happened...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 16, 2011 7:30 PM
Jul 2018
now this..is a Slice of Life anime..
Dec 20, 2011 11:28 AM

Mar 2011
That was quite strange, but it was okay. Love the ED so much.
Jan 27, 2012 8:33 PM

Feb 2009
I'm already loving the vibe this series is giving off
Feb 15, 2012 5:42 AM

Feb 2012
A good start for this series. I wouldn't call it deeply philosophical, it was rather philosophy of the Little Prince kind. The motorcycle theme also made me think of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. The city was beautiful, it reminded me of Central Europe (my first thought was Prague or perhaps Dresden). The extreme desire to conform lead to violence, loneliness and isolation. Did anyone notice that before drinking the solution everyone seemed to be chanting "Sieg Heil" (at least in the Japanese version) and the way they raised their glasses looked like the Nazi salute?
May 14, 2012 5:06 AM

Feb 2012
I don't know who this Herman is, but it sounds high pitched...
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water.
Jun 11, 2012 2:14 PM

Nov 2011
Not bad, and Kino's a cool chick :>
Jun 19, 2012 7:21 PM

Feb 2012
Interesting first episode, but it wasn’t that impressive. I have no idea how anyone in that country thought knowing someone else thoughts was a good idea. I like what the show is trying to do so I’m sure there will be some very good episodes in the remaining 12 even though wasn’t.
Aug 15, 2012 2:31 PM

Sep 2011
First half was kind of boring to me (or maybe it was because I was tired), but it got pretty decent afterwards. Seems interesting enough, will continue for sure. :)
Aug 15, 2012 2:33 PM

Jun 2011
OriginANIME said:
First half was kind of boring to me (or maybe it was because I was tired), but got pretty decent afterwards. Seems interesting enough, will continue for sure. :)

You absolutely should. Kino no Tabi is a great show, in my opinion.
Sep 30, 2012 3:27 AM

Sep 2012
OriginANIME said:
First half was kind of boring to me (or maybe it was because I was tired), but it got pretty decent afterwards. Seems interesting enough, will continue for sure. :)

Same here, though I can't stand Hermes's voice and the pacing is a little too slow.
Oct 21, 2012 5:32 PM

Jan 2010
I finally got around to watching this.

Well, I expected more scenery, but there was a lot of philosophical discussions, and even then they weren't really dove into that much. It kinda presented the scenario and let the viewer make their own interpretations. Definitely some subtleties and points where you had to "fill in the gaps yourself," whether it was an actual scene or a thought that was brought up. I can see how the show gets full of itself with the text on the screen, and I was really hoping that Hermes was just Kino's imaginary friend that she made up on her journey.

Anyways, I definitely didn't make a mistake thinking that I would like this show.
Jan 5, 2013 1:12 PM
Mar 2012
I was a bit disappointed, but I still got a good vibe from it and will continue.

I was truly expecting Kino to try and unite the old couple at the end there as it was made obvious that they desired each other still, so was surprised to see that he just continued on his journey. I feel a bit sad to know that the isolation in the country could have been resolved if Kino perhaps did one small good deed to cause a chain reaction of sorts. Kino would sure make a good villain! Kidding... Despite this, it emphasized the point that the telepathy inducing drug has caused something irreversible, as the couple would just have more conflict later on.

Anyway, it was a bit slow for a first episode. I'm not expecting it to pick up pace nor would I want it to. Though I can understand why it was criticised.

As for the quotes presented on screen, I couldn't care less. I find peoples reactions to it rather funny. I personally don't find it pretentious, so I can't understand where you are coming from. To me, it's just a method of emphasis that suits the anime as it helps maintain the flow of pace.

Overall, I admit that it was interesting, but it was far from what I was expecting - so I'm a bit let down. My fault entirely. Lets hope that the series changes my mind later.
RyanSharpJan 5, 2013 1:15 PM
meh
Feb 12, 2013 3:37 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
RyanSharp said:

Overall, I admit that it was interesting, but it was far from what I was expecting - so I'm a bit let down. My fault entirely. Lets hope that the series changes my mind later.

I don't think you're the only one who thiniks this from the first episode. I also expected something, I don't know, better? Not like more exciting or anything since this isn't action, but I guess the correct word is bland like someone else mentioned. But meh, it's only the first episode. Since a lot of people said this is really good, I expect it will only get better.

I personally don't like the texts that much, but I don't think it makes the anime pretentious or anything. I just find it kind of random. But if the text showed up whenever the show returned from a commercial, I think I wouldn't find it annoying then. However, I don't think that's the case. But it's whatever. It's not terribly distracting or anything.

I do like how it's thought provoking though. It's true, I think, that people say there wouldn't be any conflict in the world if we all just understood each other. Unfortunately, that country took this idea too literally and decided to make it so that everyone can hear each other's thoughts. I think trying to understand each other doesn't mean you hear each other's thoughts. That would get kind of tiring. It's sad that everyone lives alone. It's no wonder the man wanted Kino to stay. After all, humans are social creatures.

EDIT: Oh never mind...action IS part of the genre. =_= How fail of me to not see that earlier.
tingyFeb 12, 2013 3:43 PM
Mar 16, 2013 1:25 PM

May 2012
Interesting start with directly an interesting concept, a bit of sci fi stuff in a postmodern world. The thing I'd really would have loved to see if she actually stopped at that last house and did something to them being apart...

Still quit ea decent first episode, lets see what's next!
May 24, 2013 2:24 AM

Jan 2013
Good first episode.
Liked most of it.
Jul 18, 2013 4:50 AM

Jul 2013
Not bad first episode but just like some others i too wish that there would have been more focus on the subject of the last half of the episode.
Sep 29, 2013 2:33 PM

Nov 2011
It was a nice first episode, Hermes can be a bit annoying but I guess it's something that is easy to get used to.
I liked the morality of this episode because even if you care so much about the ones you love, nothing is perfect and everyone should have a little privacy because there are times where the lie is better than the truth. This episode is saying that every human relationship needs a lie.
Dec 25, 2013 7:38 PM

Jul 2011
When I first read the 2nd novel, I was naturally engulfed in confusion. But once all that cleared up, Kino no Tabi really left an impact on me, and kept me thinking. I didn't get that vibe here in the anime, I dunno whether it's just that it's the first episode, but I'd agree with using bland to describe this episode. I guess I'll try ep 3 and then decide whether I'll continue or what.
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Dec 28, 2013 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
It was alright. Pacing was rather slow.

Meh, I guess I'll keep watching.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 17, 2014 7:26 AM

May 2013
Hm, pretty enjoyable c:
Mar 13, 2014 4:37 PM

Jan 2013
Very similar feel to Mushishi which I'm liking. This has been on my PTW for a while and I like where this is going. A lot of backstory already set up here in this first episode.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 23, 2014 10:12 PM
Dec 2012
The passive projection of one's thoughts to one's neighbors... only if humanity were perfect would that have achieved its intended goal. That wouldn't be human, however. People are too self-interested for something that communal, if only those thoughts appeared normally for fleeting moments at a time. It's relationships that exist and thrive in spite of that self-interest that make them strong, because it is only in uncertainty where faith can be founded, trust, flourish, and selflessness, abound.

While it is human that people have the capacity for both selfishness and selflessness, there is no objective way to quantitatively assess and compare the strength of the abstracts of either. They can be compared through ordinal means, however. One can know if one quality supersedes the other. Selflessness can only surpass its opposite, however, if there is uncertainty from which it draws from, because a totally selfless individual is, by human nature, impossible. That individual will only do that which is selfless because it has no choice but to. That individual depends on selflessness to give himself or herself meaning, which, rather than in the spirit of what is actually selfless, which is beyond the self, is the letter and results in little more than self-gratification and selfishness.

I'd imagine I'd be more appreciative of the individual who, in spite of himself or herself, goes out of his or her way to help me over the individual who helps me because it is his way. The latter's no better than a robot. The same goes for love, which isn't truly love unless people recognize the inconveniences, the uncertainties of an intimate relationship of that sort and still seek one regardless.

Back to more visceral reactions, God damn... the last few minutes of Episode 1 really got to me. Bitter, yet sweet. Tragic, yet lovely. Ugly, yet beautiful. The human spirit prevails even where it fails. I'm really eager to see what different directions these Twilight Zone-esque episodes will take me.

And even while being the observing traveler, there's already a lot of melancholic depth surrounding Kino that's beautifully understated.
Jun 19, 2014 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
So this is the kind of show that offers a nice message with each story -in every single episode- ? seems interesting to me.

I liked how the country's story provides that the "thoughts" can be dangerous, the "human thoughts" destroyed this country. so now everyone lives on their own, and eventually the country will die (as the people living in it will die alone)

Amazing episode 5/5!
Drastic-MeasureJun 19, 2014 3:11 PM
Aug 1, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2012
I feel this anime is "beautiful".
And I enjoy how it provides something to think about in subtle ways. It doesn't force anything.
Aug 3, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
Veronin said:
This was very interesting and thought-provoking. Looking forward to the rest of this.
Aug 31, 2014 12:47 AM

Jul 2013
Im about to start watching this after I finish psycho pass....but 9001 episodes....what the hell?
Sep 1, 2014 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
JetFury said:
Im about to start watching this after I finish psycho pass....but 9001 episodes....what the hell?

lol mal has been hacked or something. It's only 13
Sep 30, 2014 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
I really like this anime. This episode in particular isn't anything groundbreaking or new, but it's a good introduction to the series as a whole. Each country has its own story, some better than others, and each country presents a theme. Though there are some episodes where you can't help but feel the story a bit forced and unbelievable, I still like each country's individual story. I suppose it's the episodic nature itself, but Kino's Journey has something special, though I can't put my finger on it. Anyway, this episode in particular isn't one of my favourites, and I think it may be one of the blandest episodes this series has to offer. Though, it's been a while since I've seen the series, so I might be wrong. There wasn't anything particularly deep about this episode, but I feel that's the reason it makes such a good episode. It throws you into the world of Kino no Tabi and allows you to get a feel for it. It's not overbearing or anything like that, so it makes a great first episode, even if it is a bit stretched out and feels a little inconsistent or slow-paced. Well, I'm going to enjoy re-watching this series.

Cheers.
Nov 29, 2014 2:41 PM

Mar 2014
This anime reminds me of Mushishi, but I feel like this one will be better than it.

I did like the first episode, the concept of mind reading leading to people isolating themselves from others was nice.

I feel like this is an anime I will have to take slow.
May 3, 2015 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
I always had this pegged as the weakest episode, but revisiting it has made me appreciate how it helps to establish the adventure Kino's Journey has to offer. This first episode really does a great job at portraying the sanctity of the human mind and how our thoughts are protected from being peered into by others. It's interesting how they bring up the idea of wanting to understand one another in order to end conflict as the result of their attempt has reinforced my belief that humans will always be the factor that throws the entire equation out of balance.

The story of the man, although brief, had a very bittersweet theme of longing and regret behind it. Both the man and the woman took up each other's hobbies as a means of trying to hold onto their love. It's sad because there's a possibility they could reconcile, but will never know since they are now frightened of having their minds read.

I'm definitely looking forward to this rewatch.
Jun 15, 2015 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good first episode, tragic to know how knowing each others thoughts like that backfired so much.
Was nice seeing they both still do the one thing they didnt like of each other, the female listening to the music and the male raising flowers.

Kino looks very young, wasnt sure if Kino was a male or female but I presume female - mainly because of Hermes' comment on the last scene.
Aug 17, 2015 9:59 AM
Jun 2013
That was really powerful for me. I love what they did with the song at the end. Beautiful.

This anime is very special.
Nov 30, 2015 9:59 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful~
Jan 24, 2016 6:47 AM

May 2014
As I rewatch this first episode, I think they made it too slow and hard to get into. Which sucks because I recommend this show to a lot of people and they get turned off by episode 1 :( I like the next episode a lot more, and the one after that EVEN more.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 6, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm interesting. Looking forward to the next Episode.
Feb 11, 2016 3:05 PM

Mar 2013
Feorg said:
Did anyone notice that before drinking the solution everyone seemed to be chanting "Sieg Heil" (at least in the Japanese version) and the way they raised their glasses looked like the Nazi salute?

I noticed :)
I just noticed recently after rewatching it.
It made me lol
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 29, 2008

197 by Toueki »»
Nov 27, 2023 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.