Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
FUCKING EPIC!!!

Uhm, one question ... the hillarious America-jin cowboy ... who in the hell's controlling that giant farking robo-horse?!? I'd laugh if the cowboy has some kinda hyperintelligent horse he rides around on who can also pilot a mechanized version of itself. With Go Nagai, anything's possible. ;)

This series reminds me a lot of TTGL, more people should watch it.

Japanese Mountain Monkey! XD I love the cowboy guy with the hillariously bad Japanese/English mishmash.

5/5, series gets 8/10

Mod Edit: Fixed poll.
KinetaJun 7, 2022 10:10 AM
Aug 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Aug 2009
You mean Ken Ishikawa, not Go Nagai.
Aug 28, 2011 12:48 PM

Aug 2009
This episode did show us the meaning of HOT BLOODED!!!!
Dec 16, 2019 8:46 AM

Aug 2012
Was anticipating the Robot Horse since the start since it's on the Blu Ray cover. It didn't disappoint, what a totally over the top and crazy combination the whole American Robot team are. Loads of fun.

Overall though I found this OVA a bit so-so. It had some superb action and animation but the story is really underdeveloped and at a running time of 1hr 44mins I really would have liked some more character development and just slower buildup to the last act. I wonder if the fact this is a 4 episode OVA rather than a Movie meant they felt compelled to make sure each episode had some amount of action and Getter Robo fare. Meaning the Story had to take a back seat, which I guess is probably what most people coming into this are least concerned about. But for me I would have liked abit more of that.

This, after Armageddon, is only the second Getter Robo thing I've watched and so I was probably lost more than the average viewer of this. I guess that the Reptilian guys are the Villains in one of the 70's shows and/or the Manga? I don't know, like I say just for this newbie here I would have preferred one or two less fights for abit more story buildup.

One last thing and the naming of this OVA as Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo doesn't really accurately describe this as there is no fight between those Robots. Not the first time I've come across the 'vs' naming convention with an Anime and found there to be no actual 'versus' action involved in the story. Cyborg 009 vs Devilman is the same. I wonder if in Japan 'vs' can also be used in the same way we might describe 'cross' or 'x' i.e it just means crossover, whether that means working together as a team or a fight between them it doesn't really matter.

Anyway I liked this OVA but as mentioned I wish it had a little more story to balance it with all the action.
Sep 16, 2022 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
What an oddly happy note to end an entry in the Getter series on lol. Definitely a more light-hearted entry overall, though to be fair I've only read the manga and seen Armaggedon so I don't know how light-hearted the anime is exactly. But I still had a fun time, seeing disparate parts of the manga mashed into the length of a movie is a good time. Overall I'm satisfied, and we got to see all of Getter's different transformations, even Getter 3 which we rarely see.

If there's one thing I'm not super happy about it's Gai, who feels neutered in comparison to his manga counterpart. Like, here he's just the token fat guy who talks about food and how hungry he is. I guess he's supposed to be the comic relief of the group, but I think Go fills that role well enough, at least in the manga anyways.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Getter Robo tai Neo Getter Robo Episode 2 Discussion

QueenNothing - Sep 15, 2022

0 by QueenNothing »»
Sep 15, 2022 9:40 PM

Poll: » Shin Getter Robo tai Neo Getter Robo Episode 1 Discussion

QueenNothing - Sep 15, 2022

0 by QueenNothing »»
Sep 15, 2022 4:54 PM

» Discotek Media to release Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo on Blu-Ray

Fortress_Maximus - Apr 7, 2015

1 by BlaizeV »»
Dec 16, 2019 8:37 AM

Poll: » Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo Episode 3 Discussion

Blind_Guardian - Aug 13, 2011

2 by Largo93 »»
Apr 15, 2017 8:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.