Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2011 5:43 PM
Jan 2008
This is my personal favorite Miyazaki film, and I personally love this dub. It's true that it does have its flaws: the leads sound a bit too mature and the extra dialogue overdone at times, but otherwise it's an awesome dub, particularly Muska, Dola, the General, the pirate boys, Uncle Pom, and basically the rest of the cast. The new score by Joe Hisaishi is a nice bonus, too.
JTurnerAug 14, 2011 8:51 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 14, 2011 5:55 PM

Aug 2007
I don't care what anyone says, I thought it was an excellent dub as well. The fact that they sound older then they are is a complaint that goes away quickly once you get into it. And come on, any english dub that includes Mark Hamill is excellent anyway.

Aug 14, 2011 6:21 PM
Jan 2008
Hias said:
I don't care what anyone says, I thought it was an excellent dub as well. The fact that they sound older then they are is a complaint that goes away quickly once you get into it. And come on, any english dub that includes Mark Hamill is excellent anyway.

Bingo! See, this is exactly why I liked the dub. Not only did Hamill ace the role of Muska to a tee and beyond, the cast has great chemistry with each other.

I do admit it took me about 10 minutes to get used to James and Anna when I first saw it, but after a while both grew on me. It helps that I wasn't so attached to the Japanese VAs to begin with. Besides, I've heard much worse acting than what James and Anna brought to their roles. Ideal choices though they may not be, the emotion and enthusiasm ultimately shone through and overshadowed that flaw.

If I were to have at least one quibble, it may be the last part of Sheeta's speech: I thought it would have been better if Disney left it as it was instead of changing it to "the world cannot live without love", but that's a minor complaint. In the end, Disney's dub is what it is. And what it is is great fun overall.
Aug 16, 2011 10:19 PM

May 2010
It was a long time ago when I watched it. From distant memory, the script was great, but I didn't like Pazu's voice.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 17, 2011 7:33 PM
Jan 2008
Confucius said:
It was a long time ago when I watched it. From distant memory, the script was great, but I didn't like Pazu's voice.

Well I wasn't so sold on his Japanese VA either. While James may have sounded a bit too old for the role, the Japanese seiyuu did come across as very shrieky and hard on my ears at times. So it's kinda a 50-50 on both Pazu's for me, but everything else about the dub is made of win IMO.
Aug 18, 2011 8:35 AM

May 2010
JTurner said:
Confucius said:

Well I wasn't so sold on his Japanese VA either. While James may have sounded a bit too old for the role, the Japanese seiyuu did come across as very shrieky and hard on my ears at times. So it's kinda a 50-50 on both Pazu's for me, but everything else about the dub is made of win IMO.

I think I watched the movie in another language with subtitles. Should have stated that earlier lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Mushi-shi

Lindle - Jul 22, 2011

3 by Jatz »»
Nov 6, 2014 5:07 PM

» Hunter x Hunter

Confucius - Aug 27, 2012

1 by Lindle »»
May 15, 2014 3:57 AM

» Noir

Confucius - Dec 24, 2011

3 by Confucius »»
Jun 10, 2013 6:08 PM

» Cardcaptor Sakura

Confucius - Aug 16, 2012

1 by Confucius »»
Feb 1, 2013 7:51 PM

» Outlaw Star

Confucius - Aug 31, 2012

1 by JTurner »»
Dec 23, 2012 6:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.