Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 16, 2011 8:39 PM

Jul 2010
Ruri-san said:

Dalian just reminds me of Alice from Pandora Box. Tsundere, loli, have mysterious power that needs the main character to unlock their powers...

know, but i think i might like dalian a bit more, especially her voice, i like it better. also she has a much more kinder/calmer look on her.

and yess its been said a 100+ times but i'll say it; its like a mix of gosick and pandora hearts.

Feb 27, 2012 1:14 PM

Dec 2009
I decided to re-watch some episodes of this anime and I must say I still like those graphics a lot. They are so pretty, especially in the beggining. The pink-haired girl is beautiful as well.
Huey is a very likeable character, he's smart and somehow adaptable. Dalian, on the other side, is kinda... boring (?). I like her more in the light novels, not sure why, maybe because she doesn't seem to have such an stupid attitute towards Huey, still rude, though.
The book reading takes forever, it bothers me, however I love the flashbacks. I wonder how Huey met the pink-haired girl.
I still hate this ending, it's so weird and scary. I didn't bother re-watching lol
If I were to give this anime a rating basing only in the first episode, I'd probably give it an 8. Of course there are a lot of unexplained stuff, but overall it's really interesting and makes you want more.

rewatched episode
Jun 20, 2012 12:03 AM

Apr 2012
Can someone help me figure out why Hugh decided to travel to his grandfather's mansion and lay claim to his inheritance in the first place? In the opening he monologues about "finding what I've always searched for", but when he arrives at the abandoned abode it isn't long until he stumbles upon Dalian in the basement and becomes an occult detective of sorts. What was his plan once he got to the mansion? Was he gonna live there alone? Sell his grandfather's estate and books? As for as I know, it's never brought up, but I would like to know what Hugh had in mind, it being important character motivation/background that the series should have let us in on.
SymphoniusJun 20, 2012 12:07 AM
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Jul 31, 2012 5:54 AM

Aug 2010
Wanted to check this out for a while, and it looks promising, nothing spectacular, but should be enjoyable. I like the setting, atmosphere and both of the main characters so far. The part where Huey started to read the book was a bit...strange I guess. 4/5.
Jan 27, 2013 12:33 PM

Jun 2012
Really nice first episode. Love the atmosphere and both the leads so far. Excited to watch more.
Feb 10, 2013 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
That ending was definitely different, kind of creepy to me as well O.O

Well, I loved this episode! Both MCs are likable and their personalities are great. Love the form and way Dalian speaks, formal and instead of saying "hai" she says "yes". This series def. reminds me of Pandora Hearts and Gosick^^ Def. continuing~
May 16, 2014 7:57 PM

Apr 2014
I felt confused 80% of the time. It seemed weird that Huey got accustomed to such fantasy-based experiences in the matter of a few minutes. Also, who is/was Conrad? Yes, he was the one who stole the book but who is he in relation to Huey's grandfather? Maybe I missed something but that was what I was wondering for the entire episode. A lot of things are unclear, which I usually don't like for first episodes.
Jun 21, 2014 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
For a split second, I felt like I was watching:
Usui Takumi x Misaki Ayuzawa (Kaichou wa Maid Sama)
coz of the hair colors and Dalian's tsundere personality ....

They translated library to Spanish (biblioteca)........
The ending is like a horror show especially the girl's eye makeup...
Jul 17, 2014 2:24 AM

Apr 2010
A very interesting episode, definitely caught my attention. I hope more will be revealed in the next episode.

I hate this 'yes' I don't think Engrish suits anime well.
Sep 14, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
Nice start, I am looking forward for next episodes.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 13, 2014 1:46 PM

Nov 2013
Gosick and Guilty crown put together.

May 29, 2015 2:15 PM

Jun 2010
MorningGlory said:
the dragon is like as if ....it is waiting them to finish conversation and reading books then only attack.What a good dragon = ="

I was thinking about the same thing.

I didn't like the first episode. It was boring and started too quickly. I was just wondering who is that girl and why the guy isn't questioning her at all. Who has a girl in their house after dying? And she happens to know everything and keeps bossing Huey around.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2015 3:11 AM

Apr 2014
Getting really strong Pandora vibes and I love it. :D
May 11, 2016 11:10 PM

Oct 2014
this is literally gosick except victorique and kujo switched colors and became huey and dalian 0_o

i like it so far though, it's interesting!
Jul 31, 2016 5:04 AM

Dec 2014
the ending credits....what goes in the mind of the creators to generate and able to imagine such concepts...as i am not very experienced in this "goth" category I would say that I find this song unique and liked this in a different way.Even further more after reading(after translating to english) the lyrics.

Sep 1, 2016 2:12 PM
Aug 2015
Great first EP.
Always good to see that the Main Char is not a coward; damn he is one hell of a man!
Just stumbled upon this cause it's made by GAINAX tho
Hope is goes on like this

The ending, the fcking ending, CREEPY AS HELL
Apr 19, 2021 12:09 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Cursed books hmm that concept is really interesting, it reminds me so much of Gosick, and wow that live-action ending, it didn't expect that, it's so weird and disturbing xD
Nov 23, 2022 10:56 PM

Feb 2017
Ehhh This episode was a bit of a yawner. Underwhelming introduction. Monster of the week vibes. I hope it gets better.

" Nobelesse oblige is pure bullshit"
Well, Huey doesn't care about the suffering working-class, Lmao.
Dec 10, 2022 5:24 AM
Jan 2020
Gainax's art style just doesn't fit, everything else looks good tho
Dec 21, 2022 9:50 PM

Aug 2018
browsed through the comments in this thread people keep saying they don't like Dalian because she is tsundere. But there's actually not enough information at this early stage to assign her any particular personality trait. She seems a bit arrogant I guess but that's not what tsundere means.

Anyway the animation quality was a lot better than I expected, especially when he was fiddling with that lighter in his hand. but the actual art style, the look of Dalian's face is pretty generic which is a shame. Why waste a pretty gothic dress on such a plain looking girl? Regardless, it was hard to admire the animation quality because I had to focus all my attention on the subtitles. They just never stopped talking... not for one second. Seems like a major rush job to cram as much information in as possible.

Yep it's off to a pretty rocky start. I've seen enough anime at this point that the warning signs of a bad show are apparent from the get-go and this one has all the hallmarks.
Apr 22, 5:56 AM

Dec 2022
Somewhat promising so far. It's certainly rare to see depictions of rural England in anime, but this series is doing a decent job of illustrating its mysterious narrative through the misty air and gloaming skies. No brakes on the exposition dumping though, at least in this first episode; you're given plenty to process by the time it wraps up.

Dalian is cute too, of course. It's hard to mess up with gothic lolis.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

108 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

45 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 1:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.