MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers)
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Hotaru no Haka »» Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers)

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: How did you feel after watching grave of the fireflies?
Bawling my eyes out

113 27.70%
Shed some tears

105 25.74%
A Bit Sad / Mildly Depressed

129 31.62%
Unaffected

53 12.99%
Happy?

8 1.96%
Voters: 408

07-08-11, 11:13 PM

I heard from many reviews that everyone would start bawling their eyes out after watching this film, so I put it on my Netflix queue. My sister watched it first and cried... alot... My mom (who never watch anime, ever, at all) watched it next and she cried a bit.

I felt sad at the end when Setsuko died, but no tears. I got the "eye squinting" sad feeling. After telling that to my family members, they said that I was cold and emotionless >.>

So, I just started this thread to see how you guys felt after watching the movie. I added a poll too.
Modified by ss4gojetanks, 07-01-12, 10:10 PM

07-08-11, 11:21 PM

I yawned... oh wait.. I was yawning throughout the whole movie so maybe I fell asleep at the end.

07-08-11, 11:25 PM

It was Ok. But I Didnt Cry :P

07-10-11, 3:06 AM

Well, I didn't exactly 'cry,' but there was definitely a sense of utter depression. I couldn't call it out as 'morbid' for presenting such a tragic ending, as it was very realistically done, and the actions of Seita were not ridiculous or nonsensical enough to be exaggerating, which is often what 'morbid' and 'emo' are. Depressing is realistic.

It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything.
It's only after we step outside of our social norms do we see the truth about our lives.

09-06-11, 5:54 AM

Voted for mildly depressed. The results of the MC's actions notwithstanding I think the consequences of war was portrayed well, I "enjoyed" that aspect, it was depressing, what I was looking for. Some shows made me bawl my eyes out, but this didn't even got me close to blurry vision.

09-06-11, 5:56 AM

LIke a baby
my 11 main things i rate on

1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had
2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
5 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice i use the royal I here ]
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
8 Music[ Instrumentation]
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

09-06-11, 7:54 PM

We watched this in class and there were quite a few people crying afterwards. It was soooo sad!! TT^TT Such a good movie!

09-09-11, 3:51 AM

I did not cry but I had a pretty awful feeling. I felt even worse after watching this than most anime I've cried during, which is odd.

I think the reason for this being there was no cheap cry moment in this movie. It was all just presented, as if objectively.. It's hard to describe.

09-23-11, 11:19 PM

i see these movie only once in TV in middle-school with arabic dub
thy show it in wensday "our weekend is Thursday and friday"" kids film of the week slot.
that movie destory hat weeknd for all kids that week ((we have 2-3 TV chanels back thin so we all see it))

now Did i cry after you watched this movie?

i stell, just go in these anime page nerly make me cry agein.

it MUST SEE anime but ONCE
2014 watch list
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei // Tekkaman Blade // Monster
LOTGH // Phi Brain 1-2-3 // Sword Art Online
Hajime no Ippo // Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1+2+Ms
Bubblegum Crisis

i know my English so bad, but i try my best
it is my 2nd language after all

09-24-11, 12:26 AM
Forum Moderator
If you really want to cry then watch the live action movie they made based on this. It portrays the powerful scenes better and really captures the family stress/desperation better than the animated original in my opinion. It might be difficult to track down, but I think it's worth it.

It might just be that I watched the live action version first, but the animated one felt tame by comparison.

11-12-11, 7:16 PM

I cried.. The most I'd ever in a movie frankly. It wasn't 'sad', just depressing. I was dead for about a week xD.

Yes, you are very cold-hearted.
Takeuchi said:
We never did anything wrong. Just...time has passed and changed it all. Promises to tears. Vows to wounds. A dear person...into a wonderful memory inside the eternity.

01-22-12, 9:31 PM

Fuko-Brian said:
It was Ok. But I Didnt Cry :P

Same here, I thought it would leave an lasting sensation like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, but it didn´t. At much, I was slightly shocked and upset at certain scenes, but that´s all...¯\_(¯ _¯ )_/¯

01-28-12, 7:08 AM

i never shed a tear , but it was a sad anime

02-03-12, 2:42 PM

The hardest war I've fought is the one against those tears while watching this anime...because my brother was in the room, I didn't want to cry with him around. I cried afterwards. Took me some time to recover from it.

Modified by koreye, 02-03-12, 2:48 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

02-03-12, 3:04 PM

When I watched this movie, I felt so bad for those kids. They lost their mother in a tragic way, had to live with a heartless aunt (I believe it was their aunt, if I remember correctly), then lived in a cave by themselves. But when it came to Setsuko's death, I wasn't crying my eyes out, but I had a tight feeling in my chest (mostly because I was trying to hold back my tears) and I shed some tears. So I think it was a really good movie.

02-03-12, 6:21 PM

I felt sad when the movie ended but I didn't cry...
Then I started the movie again just to see if the very first scenes would have a different impact on me, and yeah, I shed a tear after seeing the guy throwing the candy box and seeing Setsuko's bones...

03-05-12, 2:47 AM

I ddin't. Wasn't even sad, because all the misery was caused by his stupid pride. All I felt was anger.

03-23-12, 11:51 AM

If you didn't, you're going to Hell.

03-27-12, 2:31 PM

I was unaffected, I was watching around The class seeing people shedding numerous years and wondering if I was supposed to cry too. We were doing depressing movies in class and I saw the documentary of the Hiroshima bombing which was the only thing that made me cry. Barefoot gen and grave of the fireflies weren't really sad to me.

Thanks to Iri for the awesome Signature!! ^^

04-03-12, 3:20 PM

Mildly depressed. I never cried while watching anything in my entire life.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices