Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2011 11:02 AM

Dec 2007

It's time to discuss the 40th anniversary Kamen Rider series: Kamen Rider Fourze (pronounced Four-zay)!

I'm absolutely convinced that this suit may be the ugliest Rider design ever. It's far FAR too bulky and white just doesn't equal Kamen Rider in my mind. However, I like the idea of it being based on rockets and having the lead be a high school student. For now, he only has four "switches", so there are no Rider Switches as originally rumored.

Now, time to discuss what you guys think of this new hero.
CCZillaAug 27, 2012 11:03 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 22, 2011 4:50 PM

Mar 2008
Being bulky isn't a problem for me. Riders have been bulkier and bulkier lately. The biggest problem IMO is that his head looks like a giant egg. And white isn't a good color for a rider. Decade was pink, but he had a lot of black in his suit. If fouze had more dark colors...

I don't like the highschool setting.
Jun 23, 2011 12:04 AM
Nov 2009
I dig it.

It is ridiculous.

But I dig it.
WARNING - HIGHLY TOXIC
If contact with skin occurs, RIP IT OFFFF OH GOD MY MIND
Jun 23, 2011 12:13 AM

Mar 2008
If they wnat an astronaut who changes hands, they shoudl've just make an alternative version of Super-1.
Jun 28, 2011 9:23 AM

Dec 2007
Official story and crew revealed:

Story

Staff and cast
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2011 11:07 AM

Mar 2008
So, besides having an egg as his head Fourze is a Playstation controller? What the hell are the PS buttons doing on his suit?

I'm gonna be friends with everyone? At least it looks like he won't be an emo boy. But there's something that really bothers me in that story about the guy just giving him a belt...

Miwa looks cute.
Jul 21, 2011 3:09 AM

Jul 2008
Dont really really mind the design, I also got passed DCD's suit after a while so I'm not making a big deal out of it now...and Kamen rider OOO's trafficlight design also wasnt a favorite untill I saw it moving.

That being said... the PS attachments looks horrible, Calling future Shoulder Equipments.
R1 R2 Save the Lives.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 21, 2011 12:33 PM

Dec 2007
...Foodroids? Really? Oh fuck, this show's gonna suck...

http://www.jefusion.com/2011/07/introducing-kamen-rider-fourze.html
Jul 22, 2011 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
Foodroids? Really?

The attachments aren't that bad IMO. It kinda has a Showa feel to it. But the design could be better.
Jul 24, 2011 6:21 AM
Nov 2009
Still lookin' ridiculous

Still diggin' it
WARNING - HIGHLY TOXIC
If contact with skin occurs, RIP IT OFFFF OH GOD MY MIND
Aug 23, 2011 11:41 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah, I'm not digging the design at all.

Personally, after seeing how Japan handles highschool dramas on more then on occasion, I' not looking forward to the scenario at all. On the other hand, I can see how they ended up going there. Riders have been getting younger, and kids are bound to be looking more forward to highschool than adulthood. The image to me is like... Kamen Rider is your big brother, who you admire and follow around because you want to be just like him, no matter what crap he pulls on you. Hoping this guy turns out to be a good role model. Added plus, highschool setting allows for IKEMEN PARADISE!

Sigh.

I dislike bulky rider suits. I really do.
<---made of awesome!
Aug 24, 2011 1:04 AM

Mar 2008
I don't really think it makes that much of a difference. When I was a kid, teenagers were as distant as young adults. I watch toku since I was very little and I remember being a huge fan of Ryuma from Winspector and he was a cop...

Maybe they're trying to appeal to the teenagers. The whole audience surrogate stuff.

And well, a genki guy that bravely fights monsters and wants to be friends with everybody? I think he'll be a good role model.

And I don't think riders were getting younger. They're usually on their twenties. I mean, Ichigo was a college student.

I just hope they can make a funny school setting, so that we can laugh while Fourze isn't kicking but. A school comedy instead of a school drama. And I also wanto to see good action scenes.

At this point I've already ruled out a good story. If we're lucku, I'm wrong.

And I hote that the highschool setting allows for BISHOUJO PARADISE!
Aug 24, 2011 2:53 PM

Jul 2007
Well, we've gone from mid/late twenties to early twenties to 18ish and now to teenagers. It's not a huge regression, but it is a regression.

I was talking about school comedies, which are most of what I've seen and the jokes are usually VERY cheap, repetitive, and not particularly funny. =/ But I don't much like school comedies. I might've confused you since fans tend to call Asian TV shows "dramas," as in ドラマ (dorama), as opposed to variety, news, and other types of programs.
<---made of awesome!
Aug 24, 2011 7:48 PM

Mar 2008
Black was 19. Some riders, like super-1 and ZX seem to be a little older because of their jobs. But most of the others are portrayed as in the early 20's

And Tendo, Shota, Eiji, Tsukasa and most other Heisei riders also seem to be in this same age group. The outliers are Hibiki, Phil and now Fourze.

Yes, when I read school drama I really thought of the drama genre. Now that wouldn't go well with a KR series at all. I've never watched school comedy doramas, but I saw some school comedy anime that were entertaining.
Aug 25, 2011 7:48 PM

Dec 2007
Personally, I think the school setting's a nice change of pace. I mean, it's better than having our lead being a cheap rip-off of Godai Yusuke from Kamen Rider Kuuga with most of the action taking place in yet another cafe.
Sep 4, 2011 5:26 PM

Aug 2008
Ep 1:

My question now is: where has Foundation X been this past series? We gonna see them here?
Sep 5, 2011 2:38 AM

Mar 2008
No need for spoilers on ep 1's discussion.

Poor CC. It's pretty clear to me that this is going to be a series full of slapstick...

I don't hate it though.

So, the principal is the main villain? I wonder what the organization will be like. I just hope it actually has a point and that the enemies aren't random kaijin trying to destroy Earth like many other Heisei series. I mean, they could name the principal Terror Macro and teh organization Dogma.

So, we have a high school setting, a strange guy as the transforming hero and the extra guy uses a mecha... Is that Sacred Seven?

Kinda liked the battle. The way he learned what to do was more natural than Eiji's, for instance.

And yes, the suit works. And I hope the switchs keep him from getting over 9000 forms that he'll probaly never use.

Not a fan of the mecha. I hope they stop using it soon. The design is ok, but mecha and rider is not a great combi IMO.

Not sure about the kaijin's design. Too bulky. Let's see the other kaijin and hot it works after the first fight, that is always full of SPFX.

So, we have the cute female teacher (I like it) and the dorky teacher that likes her. The american football guy doesn't look very japanese. The cheerleader is cute too.

Not much of teh goth girl and the playboy in this ep. I just hope they can make the highschool part funny and handle the drama well when it comes.

I have high hopes for the heroine this time. She isn't one of the boring ones like Hina and Hiyori and neither one of the nosy ones like Akiko and Megumi. And she is also cute.

It has been a tradition to have two main guys with the heroine as the main trio. And this time we have the red oni/blue oni thing with the main boys, which is the kind of characters they have been using more since kabuto. I mean, only Den-O didn't have it, for obvious reasons.

That being said, I hate the tipe of character Kengo is. He's a wimp, frustrated about it and lashes out on people that have nothing to do with it to vent his anger. I won't complain about him being anti-social, because that's the blue oni. Well, he'll eventually open up and I hope that he grows as much as Wataru and Gotou did.

But having a frail body? Really, Toei? That's what you came up with. I mean, with the amount of peopel with that characteristics in japanese media and the huge number of people that get colds just from getting wet in anime/manga etc., I can only imagine Japan as a nation of total wimps with the ocasional badass.

Gen-chan on the other hand is a very cool red oni. He's a good natured delinquent, but a strange one, since most of them tend to be anti-social. But since he's the heart, he's actually too sociable. And he's tough.

I can't say it's going to be good, since OOO was a big disappointment. But the 1st ep was entertaining, even if ti was a little bit rushed. But that's normal, since they had a lot of things to show and the battle was a must.
Sep 5, 2011 3:26 PM

Aug 2008
>So, the principal is the main villain?
Eh, college flicks have the dean, so why not the principal?

>And I hope the switchs keep him from getting over 9000 forms that he'll probaly never use.
Switches are a pretty neat mcguffin and this guy is PERFECT for variance in a fighting game (see the shapes that match the arms?). So far we know he can use two at the same time. Four might look like a huge clusterfuck.

>But having a frail body? Really, Toei?
Magical Hereditary AIDS. Also, remember these are the guys that react to a cold like it's cancer or something.

All the ladies are cute in this, sans the goth.
Sep 5, 2011 3:26 PM

Feb 2008
The first episode was pretty cool, but yeah, the robot part was kinda lame, especially it's CGI look. I already love the heroine, but the other characters are meh, I mean a jock, a cheerleader, a gay hipster or whatever he is? But who know, maybe they'll turn out to be good characters. The OP was pretty cool too. Can't wait for the release of the single.
ZetaZakuSep 5, 2011 3:32 PM

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 5, 2011 11:36 PM

Mar 2008
gay? That guy is textbook japanese playboy. Nothing gay about him. At least until now.
Sep 6, 2011 1:07 AM

Jul 2007
I watched the OP and now I'm not sure if I even want to check this out, let alone watch it. =/
<---made of awesome!
Sep 6, 2011 8:57 AM

Aug 2008
OP has a catchy tune, but the actual content of the song annoys me.
I see "We're coming from you live from High School" and I just have to roll my eyes.
Sep 6, 2011 9:00 AM

Mar 2008
I just noticed that the girl came up with the henshin pose. I guess that's new.

Well, Susan, it's just 23 minutes to check it out. The episode wasn't anything as awesome as Gokai's 1st, but I was entertained.

And yes, the OP's lyrics aren't that good. They could've done the whole springtime of youth the japanese are so crazy about without actually mentioning school life.

But I wasn't expecting anything different. It's school, space, action, friendship, efforts and victory. The last three can be shortened to shounen.
m4rc0Sep 6, 2011 9:04 AM
Sep 6, 2011 1:58 PM

Dec 2007
Man, if I judged a show by its opening, I'd call Kamen Rider Blade an over-stylized piece of junk from its first opening and an angst-ridden pretty boy love-fest by its second.
Sep 7, 2011 5:52 AM

Dec 2007
Double post! Just watched episode 1.

Episode 1:
Glad I didn't judge the show based on its opening, because I actually really liked it. The school setting and hidden clubroom definitely makes this show feel like an older tokusatsu, which I find to be very welcome.

This episode definitely echoed the first episode of Kamen Rider Kabuto. Except if Tendou were friendlier, and Kagami was a snot-nosed brat. Seriously, Kengo? Fuck you. Douche.

lol @ cheerleader entrance. I seriously wanted them to show "HIBARI FOOOOUR!"

Of course, watching this dashed my hopes for Karikyuranger....

Tuning in next time for sure!
Sep 7, 2011 4:12 PM

Mar 2008
Just what a high school setting and a hidden clubroom have to do with older tokusatsu? I mean, there were two or three sentai in which the rangers were somehow related to a school setting, but most toku have nothing like that.
Sep 7, 2011 10:54 PM

Dec 2007
m4rc0 said:
Just what a high school setting and a hidden clubroom have to do with older tokusatsu? I mean, there were two or three sentai in which the rangers were somehow related to a school setting, but most toku have nothing like that.

I mean just the overall idea of kids taking the fight into their own hands to battle an enemy, mostly without adult supervision or permission. Inazuman, Chojin Barom-1, and Denji Sentai Megaranger to name a few. The idea that the youth has to save the day brings back memories of THOSE tokusatsu. I didn't say all old-school tokusatsu, m4rc0. After all, not every toku series in the 1970s through 1990s had manly men saving the day. Some of them had *gasp* KIDS as protagonists. I'm glad Fourze is taking Kamen Rider into that direction because, let's face it, the franchise was creatively bankrupt.
Sep 8, 2011 6:22 AM

Mar 2008
"The school setting and hidden clubroom definitely makes this show feel like an older tokusatsu..."

I don't know about the others, but this looked to me like a generalization. And well, even though " not every toku series in the 1970s through 1990s had manly men saving the day", most of them were like that.

"kids taking the fight into their own hands to battle an enemy, mostly without adult supervision or permission" is very common in japanese media, but that wasn't the case with toku.

"The idea that the youth has to save the day brings back memories of THOSE tokusatsu."

That's an specific statement nobody can argue with. I even pointed out that shows like that existed.

That was what I couldn't understand in the first statement, since those shows were exceptions and high schools aren't what comes to mind when one thinks about older toku.

As for Fourze being a new direction, I'm not sure about that. So far, except for the fact that it takes place in a high school, it has ALL the Heisei KR tropes. Except the restaurant/coffee house.

The problem with KR IMO is that it's stuck in a formula that limits the story. The random kaijin, the foundation, the main trio, countless forms and gadgets, the mandatory drama at the end...
Sep 8, 2011 8:44 PM

Dec 2007
I think the fact that Fourze is in a high school is what most definitely sets it apart. It doesn't have a menacing organization yet, we know nothing about the kaijin yet to judge them, and Fourze doesn't have forms at all. His overall look doesn't change, he just wields different weapons on his limbs. That's like saying Kamen Rider Super-1's Five Hands are forms.

Besides, most Showa Riders had a very strict formula too. The lead is transformed into a cyborg, must battle the group that made him that way, teams up with a motorcycle coach and battles a MOTW every week. Seriously, I'm watching Kamen Rider right now and it has almost the exact same formula as Kamen Rider Amazon.
Sep 9, 2011 4:50 PM

Mar 2008
"and Fourze doesn't have forms at all"

And you say thata based on what information? He doesn't have tons of forms right from the start, like OOO or W, but this doesn't mean he won't have. In fact, W and OOO are the odd ones, since most Heisei have only 2 or 3 forms. And I am 100% sure he'll have at least one more form

And don't worry, we'll have the organization. Sooner or later. The kaijin might actually have a point. I never wrote they wouldn't.

Even so, those are only 3 from MANY Heisei tropes. Fourze has a lot of the other tropes, like the two male and one female main trio, the emo stuff, just to name a few.

" most Showa Riders had a very strict formula too"

Yes, they did. And that's why it ended. We only had KR again after the metal heroes died and Toei decided to mix them both to create Heisei KR.
Sep 9, 2011 4:57 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah, but don't call for days of Showa Riders again when those days too were guilty of following a restrictive formula.

Oh, and Kamen Rider has always been notable for angst. You just let the older shows slide because it's older manly men complaining about being cyborgs.
Sep 9, 2011 6:00 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
CCZilla said:

Glad I didn't judge the show based on its opening, because I actually really liked it. The school setting and hidden clubroom definitely makes this show feel like an older tokusatsu, which I find to be very welcome.

Pretty much this. When I watched the OP I was like "It's the end of the Kamen Rider franchise...that's it" but the episode was actually entertaining....

However, the OP was really scary.... I mean... really scary.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Mar 2008
When did I call for Showa Riders?

You seem obsessed about the idea of older manly man... As I wrote earlier in this thread, there's nothing about old guys in Showa.

And you can't seriously compare being abducted and experimented on and/or having your family killed with the usual Heisei whining. Also, older KR didn't dwell too much on it after the KR decided to fight evil.

And seriously, I don't know why you're bringing up Showa riders all the time when we're discussing Heisei Riders. It's not a competition between the two eras. Or at least it shouldn't be.
Sep 11, 2011 9:38 PM

Mar 2008

Very entertaining so far.
m4rc0Sep 11, 2011 9:49 PM
Sep 12, 2011 10:25 PM

Dec 2007
Episode 2:
Sep 13, 2011 7:17 AM

Mar 2008
Yes, but Decade and Kiva had broken the chain... After W this is the 3rd series with this concept. I just hope they keep it up and manage not to make it get old fast.
Sep 14, 2011 1:58 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty entertaining episode. The goth girl was really cute. Now the only character who remains is the playboy. Hope he has a part in the next two episodes.

The only downside was the thing when

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 14, 2011 2:19 AM
Mar 2011
the deisan og the rider suit is bad the face looks painted on

but the best Heisei rider was kuga by far

plus i hate the form Spam of most if not all modern riders ishi sensei did not make that Idea thy have killed the idels of rider than he ceated

in the manga Hongo dies

thers been no deaths in any Hei era KR Manga [ brfoe you say sprits its was a showa rider that dies in that if i remmber

id lovw if one day if thay brought back a Tachibana style chratcert ie a mentor that goes in to may shows

and also Bring back the scafs
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 18, 2011 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
EP 3:
My favorite pool from every JAV involving a pool ever made an appearance!

So does this mean we're back to one story = two eps format?

Also, back to ep 2, kinda neat referencing the past riders. Though lol just an urban legend when there are unfathomable amounts of witnesses and property damage involved. Maybe they hired the guys from the Transformers 2 movie that covered up giant robots in China. I'm kinda hoping any future crossovers aren't limited to movies.
Sep 18, 2011 6:31 PM

Mar 2008
Sep 20, 2011 10:59 AM

Dec 2007
Episode 3:
Sep 20, 2011 4:08 PM

Mar 2008
Really, I thought it was as artificial as most MO2W 1st episodes. I mean, the kaijin runs JUST when it´s going to be finished... Nothing new there.
Sep 21, 2011 5:40 AM

Dec 2007
Well, that kinda did but with the way the story was set up, there was no way the Queen Festival story was going to be wrapped up in one episode.
Sep 25, 2011 8:32 PM

Mar 2008

next ep
Sep 27, 2011 10:14 PM

Dec 2007
Episode 4:
Oct 12, 2011 5:08 PM

Mar 2008
So, Gen can't handel Eleki hands... Maybe if he did kung fu...

The kaijin was lame but then he transformed his head into a saber and became cool.

LOL @ Gen hitting himself with the toge toge ball. The guy must have a magnet there...

That henshin showing the fainted girl was creepy.

They really made the girls like the riders they're named after. V3 is full of pride, Riderman is geeky and Amazon

is creepy. Also, V3 and Riderman are always fighting. Yuki and Miu were very funny in this episode. And Tomoko's

stalking was also funny.

I have a theory for shounen manga that I think is valid for KR as well. The bigger the role the girls have, the

better the series. So far, they've made Fourze pretty entertaining.

JK is just an ass. His character could be female. She would still be an ass, but you wouldn't want to punch her in

the face. And it wowuld be nicer when she became a friend than it will be when JK does. Shun would still need to be

a guy because his part needs it and Fourze isn't a harem KR (though I wouldn't mind watching that).

And talk about shipping. Miu going all happy to the club and wondering if Gen is the manliest of men and then Miu

teasing Kengo about Yuki. Maybe we'll actually see romance in teh series...

So, I'm guessing every 10th switch will be a new form, which will give us 4 forms. Red eyes said something about electricity being one of the fundamental forces in the universe. So I guess we'll have a gravity form. Since nuclear forces are a bit complex for a KR, maybe they'll just make one nuclear form. The last form would be thermal energy with hot/cold hands.

I wonder why the guy needed a switch to kick JK's ass, since JK is a wimp and the guy was a athlete...

Tomoko is very funny. I wish they would do her episode next. The girls didn't have much to do in this episode...

The fights were ok.
Oct 24, 2011 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Hated characters so far..

1. JK
What a name, what a face, what an attitude. Everytime I see him I want to punch his gay looking face. I don't like him hanging out on KRC.

2. Satake (That teacher from Ep. 7)
He looks like a villain to me. Watch Ep. 7, I can't say anymore.

EP. 7 Unlikable Scenes

EP. 7 Love Scenes
Nov 11, 2011 1:32 PM

Mar 2008

Nov 14, 2011 6:29 AM

Mar 2008
Nov 21, 2011 6:34 AM

Mar 2008
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Global YouTube Channel【TOEI TOKUSATSU WORLD OFFICIAL】

prepare4trouble - Mar 22, 2020

0 by prepare4trouble »»
Mar 22, 2020 6:09 PM

» Your First Tokusatsu

CCZilla - Feb 17, 2009

34 by prepare4trouble »»
Mar 22, 2020 6:02 PM

Sticky: » Kamen Rider Zero-One Series Discussion (2019-2020)

wakka9ca - Sep 16, 2019

16 by AngelsArcanum »»
Nov 25, 2019 8:22 PM

Sticky: » Kamen Rider BUILD Series Discussion (2017-2018)

Susan - Sep 16, 2017

13 by Susan »»
May 15, 2018 3:26 AM

» Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Series Discussion (2016-2017)

Susan - Mar 19, 2017

19 by Punkbeetle »»
Oct 8, 2017 2:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.