Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2008 12:03 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, this was a VERY interesting episode. I'm really curious to know why Haidee reacted like that, when she saw Albert's father.
KayroJun 17, 2008 12:09 AM
Oct 23, 2008 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
*points up* I agree... this may be turning into a love rectangle. ;P

The Count is a playah playah. >_>

Sig WILL change soon~
Dec 14, 2008 5:53 PM
Jul 2008
Haidee looked gorgeous! ^o^
Jan 9, 2009 5:25 AM
May 2008
This series is blowing me away, it is magnificent
Apr 8, 2009 12:55 AM

Jan 2009
StabbyPWNS said:

The Count is a playah playah.

He loves to make people to suffer or fight with each other, or that is what it seemed to me on this episode.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Oct 3, 2009 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
That was a lot of freaking money coming into the Count's account.

I really enjoyed Eugeine and Albert this episode, good to see them build something lol. Good episode i am really starting to enjoy this series.
Mar 16, 2010 10:07 PM

Feb 2010
Vengeful-Wolves said:
This series is blowing me away, it is magnificent
Mikiyo said:

He loves to make people to suffer or fight with each other, or that is what it seemed to me on this episode.

Agree to both comments. This series is indeed spectacular!! And it seems he likes to watch people fight each other, doubt each other...etc. Is is for pure amusement? Or is there some higher purpose? Hmmm...
Apr 4, 2010 10:02 PM

Nov 2007
What an intriguing episode O_O much improved over the last, the count really is a fearsome man just look at the transactions at the end @_@ seems money isn't really a problem for him. But in regards to Haydee seems she has some connection with Albert's dad, this development is really great =]!
Jun 13, 2010 2:58 AM

Feb 2010
Damn, as one who knows about the original story, it's pretty interesting to see how each episode adds a piece to the puzzle.

You know, enjoy this anime, it brings you surprises that the book won't bring in that scale.
The Count of Monte Cristo starts with the Count, tells his story from his perspective.
Gankutsuou though tells the story how the people around him, especially Albert, experience it.

It really is magnificent!
Jun 17, 2010 2:00 PM

Apr 2009
nice ,..finally the story develops
Sep 1, 2010 4:51 AM

Mar 2010
I like where this is going.
Feb 3, 2011 4:43 PM

Dec 2008
The Count of Monte Cristo is indeed a wonderful man!!!
Albert's dad is hot, and apparently he did something to Haidee in the past.
Can't wait to see where all this is going.
Feb 19, 2011 12:21 PM

Sep 2008
Kayro said:
I'm really curious to know why Haidee reacted like that, when she saw Albert's father.

This.

Did the Count expect her to react like that? He certainly reacted fast enough to prevent her from falling, but I think most guys would've reacted that fast... so I can't tell if he was expecting that reaction or not. DX Argh. He's so unpredictable, that Count... Makes for a really interesting story, though! Loving every moment of this anime so far and very eager to see where this is going. :D
Feb 27, 2011 4:56 PM

Sep 2010
The Count is nothing short of awesome! The suspense of this anime takes my breath away!

Apr 3, 2011 7:31 PM

Feb 2010
Ok, so I know what Haydee's deal was when she saw Morcerf, but the horse was pretty WTF
Speaking of Haydee, I know the book describes her at the opera as beautiful, but HOLY SHIT!! Even for anime, that's pretty damn stunning.

It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Oct 19, 2012 12:55 PM

Mar 2010
wow this episode was great,
i sense a fight soon between albert's dad and the count.
Dec 13, 2012 3:06 PM

May 2012
This was rather the best episode until now, very interesting development especially that ending, I wonder what relation they both have!
Dec 29, 2012 12:21 PM
Oct 2012
Probably the best episode for now. Baron Danglar appeared, and good ending of episode (What is the connection between Alberto's father and the girl?
Jan 13, 2013 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
I forsee Eugnie having a breakdown in the near future, with all the manipulating the Count is doing to her parents.

And that horse was really creepy
Jul 10, 2013 1:31 PM

Mar 2013
That dress was beautiful, seriously o-o

Also... what the heck happened with that horse and what's the Count planning to do with it?
Jul 17, 2013 9:55 PM

Jan 2012
Could Albert's dad be her killer?
Sep 14, 2013 7:22 PM

Dec 2012
Monte Christo is awesome, he takes advantage of indulging the elites and it looks like he has a plan set in motion now with that horse. I wonder what could have happened to Haydee to make her react that way. She was absolutely stunning in her flashy dress too.
Nov 2, 2013 2:38 AM

Mar 2012
Very nice episode, lot's of things starting to happen :o
Jan 12, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2010
It gets more interesting after each episode.

Haydee's reaction to Albert's father got me really curious.
Mar 14, 2014 7:41 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Haidee's dress is one of the most visually-memorable parts of this series. They did a great job capturing how captivating she is, drawing everyone's attention and envy. Freak-out time, seeing Albert's father.
Mar 31, 2014 5:47 AM

Jan 2013
Oh Haidee o_o
And the Count is getting more and more enticing each episode.
Also, some of the adults in this show need to mature..
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 3, 2014 9:52 PM
Oct 2011
DarkChaplain said:
Damn, as one who knows about the original story, it's pretty interesting to see how each episode adds a piece to the puzzle.

You know, enjoy this anime, it brings you surprises that the book won't bring in that scale.
The Count of Monte Cristo starts with the Count, tells his story from his perspective.
Gankutsuou though tells the story how the people around him, especially Albert, experience it.

It really is magnificent!
Even in the book, after some point the series kinda started telling the story the same way the anime is doing atm, which is great narrative.

And Haydee, so beautiful.
Aug 29, 2014 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
The first "oh shit episode" and my god was it awesome.

Oct 14, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2014
I've read the book already so I'm already spoiled to most of this but my god the anime still manages to peak my interest. made back in 04 & looks better than most titles coming out today.
Mar 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Jul 2012
RACHMANINOFF'S PIANO CONCERTOOOOOOOOOOO YOOOOOO ♥♥♥

This show has a great music selection!
Jul 27, 2015 6:24 AM

Jan 2014
What a dress *____*
She was so beautiful~
Jul 27, 2015 6:34 AM

Oct 2013
Haydee and that dress... she deserves an award for "most gorgeous female anime character design." Oh man...

Is it too early to add the Count to my favorite characters list? Loved the episode, but I'm still waiting for some information to be revealed about the Count. The series has revolved around making him as enigmatic and suspicious as possible, now give us some information already!
ZadionJul 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 17, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
(again, watched yesterday and came on here but forgot to add it! D:)

I can't believe he sold her prized horse and for more than he let on to her. But then the Count gave it back and possibly made it a robot or something lol. I dunno. Something's up with it's eye anyways. But he basically like bedazzled it before giving it back.

Haydee's dress was gorgeous, so beautiful, simply stunning. I wonder what her reaction to Albert's dad is about, maybe he hurt her, raped her or killed her even. I kinda think she's dead lol.

Poor Eugenie ... plus half the voice cast in the dub is from Bleach, which I was watching before (haven't watched really since I started this) but I wanted to hear different voices but I guess Ichigo and Rukia will be destined to be together forever lol.

I can't believe Lucien is having an affair with her mother, her mother is weird looking lol.

Unlimited credit, whoa.
Oct 7, 2015 2:29 AM

May 2012
Damn! This is really intriguing. And I was really bothered with Albert and Eugenie's friend! And he is sleeping with Eugenie's mother and the father knows it. Oh my. Lot of intriguing events in this episode! Count is really an interesting fella. He surely know how to manipulate people smoothly.
Oct 24, 2015 11:01 AM
May 2012
This Anime is just.....whew. A really interesting episode.
That dress is just beautiful. Monte Cristo is fucking awesome!!
Jan 11, 2016 12:02 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting history between them.
Another good episode.
Jun 11, 2016 11:22 AM

Feb 2016
It's almost frightening how the count gives of an impression as if everything's happening according to his plan, I do get the feeling by watching at his face expressions. They are sufficient enough to explain the situation every time.

We also come to know that the count possesses enough money to make even dagobert duck jealous.
Oct 8, 2016 3:46 AM

Sep 2014
Good Lord! The count is like a magician of words and a master of the art manipulation. I'm curious to know what he's gonna do next. Aside from that I'm quite impressed by the build up of the plot of this show. It's simply top notch.
Dec 15, 2016 6:13 PM

Jun 2013
I wanted to like this show, I really did. But I feel like I'm getting disconnected from the story. The Count's shenanigans are kind of entertaining, but everything else is so boring... Except for Eugene, she's kind of chill. But she's also not a main character, so she is just a drop in a bucket.

Yes, Haydee is very pretty. She also has shown pretty much no personality so far, so while her super dramatic moment at the end of the episode did surprise me, it didn't intrigue me very much.

However, I just can't get attached to Albert. I can't give a rat's ass about him. And when I have such a hard time finding a main character to cling to, my immersion falls apart. The pretty art is just not enough, unfortunately.

Maybe the fact that I haven't read the source material before also hurts my experience. For one, I can't look at the Count as the primary protagonist, since this adaptation is shown from Albert's perspective, who is really boring. And two, the extra layer of meaning over the things the Count does or says, which people who are familiar with the story can decipher, is lost on me.
LeeTailorDec 15, 2016 6:25 PM
Feb 15, 2017 11:23 PM

Oct 2012
Aww Albert, I think I'd love to see Albert and Eugenie ended up together
Let's run from this city together, that was just like a confession of love xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 20, 2017 1:58 PM

Mar 2015
Haidee was so gorgeous and it was strange to see her react to Albert's dad like that

But wow the Count is richer than rich and is clearly intending to ruin just about everyone's lives in the end
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 5, 2017 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
It's quite strange to see this "adaptation" or more like alternative version of Dumas' book. The art is really strange and surreal, but I have to say I'm enjoying it, even if I know where the story is going.
Aug 2, 2017 10:32 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Now I'm starting to get interested.

The selling of the horse + the stuff that unfolded during the opera house are pulling the story along a bit more.

And anyone notice the weird little creatures outside the opera house and the little heart monsters? xD
Aug 4, 2017 6:14 AM

Feb 2013
Eugenie has an awful family, at least they are rich.
I wonder what did Albert's father do to Haydee.
Nov 10, 2017 11:40 PM

Jan 2010
This is a wondrously beautiful show, and the way it conducts itself reminds me of a theatrical play. The way it frames its scenes, the use of gradients and constant motion to where the CGI blends in and creates a constant feeling of unease and tension, and setting that just oozes atmosphere and mystique. The Count is also an extremely fun character, as I can't quite tell just how much of this scenario is under his control, nor when he plans on taking action personally. Because he's so powerful and wealthy, he has this absolute confidence in how he acts. In another story, he would have been a threatening villain, but in the Count of Monte Cristo, it's still uncertain as to what he's trying to do. I've read the book by Alexandre Dumas, but seeing this is an anime adaption in space, I have no idea what to expect. At the very least though, this show truly knows how to build tension.
Dec 28, 2017 8:01 PM

Nov 2016
The count is just fucking charming an S and calling him rich would be an understatement. Great character.

The development of this episode was also very interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 14, 2018 6:07 AM

Aug 2016
Holy fuck, what a great cliffhanger, this was a major step up from the previous episode. Albert and Eugenie finally having some good interactions is nice, I hope they develop more as a couple because I really like the concept of their relationship, the Count is as entertaining as ever and I can't wait to see what the hell he did to that horse.

Also, Eugenie's family is terrible, no wonder she's standoffish like that.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 3, 2019 10:20 PM
Feb 2019
Albert likes Eugenie, but he still has not noticed.
I really liked their relationship in the anime.
Baron Danglars has always been a greedy one who never cared about anyone except with the money.
Feb 4, 2019 10:25 AM

May 2016
While General Morcerf's implied to be a skirt chaser, Mercedes definitely proved that she's a rather promiscuous lady who spent the night with one of his son's friends out of all people to sleep with, yikes. Haidee having a panic attack and fainting after looking at Mondego strongly implies that he'd done something despicable to her back then. The Count's not the only one after Albert's family after all.

The whole episode was pretty much the Count doing one insane flex after another and it was INSANE. Depositing 500 million into his first bank account and getting trillions of foreign currency transferred into it, buying the best horse in Paris for a whopping 60 million Francs only to give it back with extra exquisite jewelry (and a secret camera too, apparently that might end up capturing the reasons why she loves that horse so much), and indefinitely buying out the sealed-off seat of a deceased Prince with an entourage that outshone everyone else in the most prestigious Opera House around. He breathes money so I ain't surprised at all at how he can bring out the worst in people so easily.

Instead of trying to get in better terms using the tickets, Albert just let Eugenie sit with her friends like he always does. I feel bad for her because it looked like she really wanted to make things work but Albert's a tool. Franz let Valentine trigger another flag with Maximilien, oh my.

May 24, 2020 11:29 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
This episode was the best so far. I still don’t know what the Count is doing but I like it. I think he is trying to worm is way into peoples lives that’s why he bought Eclipse and then returned it. I think he brought Haydée so that way she could see Albert’s dad. He seems to be one step ahead in this revenge game. I feel bad for Eugénie she has been forced to grow up quickly and raise herself it seems. It just sucks to live in a household with no love and your parents don’t pay you any mind. Also, Lucien a dog for sleeping with Eugénie’s mom but mad respect for getting the job done. Alberts world is shattering around him and I wonder how is going to change.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.